• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega 56 Benchmarks Leaked - An (Unverified) GTX 1070 Killer

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Discredit what exactly? Do you think I'm never wrong and that I never admit it? Go F off. Yeah, I automatically forgot that dropped frames are still rendered, just not displayed. Shit, look, I've admitted my mistake. It's not the first time neither the last.

Will I be less of an AMD fanboy if I keep on shitting on AMD relentlessly day after day like all of you are doing and which will literally not change ANYTHING or is simple voting with wallet not enough? If you hate AMD, then buy NVIDIA and stfu already. If I want to buy RX Vega literally out of curiosity, then call me an AMD fanboy. I'm literally starting to not give a s**t anymore with every passing day of listening to all of you whining little children.

People kept pissing over R9 Fury X and yet it turned out to be a graphic card that aged just the same as NVIDIA offerings. In fact it performs better now than does NVIDIA's stuff for the most part, still jusitfying the late arrival. If it came later, that's AMD's release schedule. If you don't like it, then buy NVIDIA again. You know, it's not that difficult concept... but it gets really annoying listening to all of you whining about the same thing day after day and calling me an AMD fanboy day after day just because I'm not shitting all over AMD like all of you are.

Wow you sound pretty mad, but whatever, every and i say EVERY post i read coming from you it's always pro AMD, i swear, i'm not even joking, that's the difference between someone unbiased and someone neutral, i don't care whose hardware i buy, i just buy whatever is best for my money

Everyone is biased to a degree , if you can't acknowledged that and think everyone beside you is a fanboy you are either delusional or simply a troll.

I also find it hilarious when one gets called a fanboy yet they own products from the opposing camp.

People need to make the difference between being a fan and a fanboy. Because believe it or not you can like one company and not be a mindless moron.

Wrong, i'm as neutral as one can be, i don't care about brands and stuff, i only buy what i think and what is said to be the best thing, and AMD, aside from ryzen, isn't best, in any kind of way atm, not even on polaris

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Wrong, i'm as neutral as one can be, i don't care about brands and stuff, i only buy what i think and what is said to be the best thing, and AMD, aside from ryzen, isn't best, in any kind of way atm, not even on polaris

Wrong in what way ? That comment wasn't aimed at you but it was more of a general thing. If you buy whatever is said to be the best thing then you let other's bias influence you. That's still bias at work there you know , just not directly.

Coupled with a lower cost of entry for a FreeSync monitor, and the possibility for users to get even more value out of a particular Radeon Pack they're eyeing, this could potentially be a killer deal.

So much fanboyism, it's staggering.

Meanwhile GTX 1070 has 150W TDP, while RX 56 won't differ much from it's older brother and will consume at least 300W. Some people here don't care about the cost of electricity, true, but I don't know the people who don't care about raw power dissipation which needs to be removed from your system.

Also, > 95% of people around me have neither FreeSync, nor GSync monitors, so you guys need to slow down a bit. Very few people actually care about tear free monitors. Instead of a tear free free display, I'd rather buy something based on OLED, which supports true 10/12bit colors and HDR.

Last edited:
Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Wrong in what way ? That comment wasn't aimed at you but it was more of a general thing. If you buy whatever is said to be the best thing then you let other's bias influence you. That's still bias at work there you know , just not directly.

I said i buy what i think it's best, and what is said to be the best, ofc not said to be the best from a person, i read multiple sites and stuff, and make my conclusion.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I said i buy what i think it's best, and what is said to be the best, ofc not said to be the best from a person, i read multiple sites and stuff, and make my conclusion.

Still , one that is 100% neutral , wouldn't really get involved in these discussions , just to say they are neutral would they ? ;)

I mean everyone can just go on review sites right ?

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
Still , one that is 100% neutral , wouldn't really get involved in these discussions , just to say they are neutral would they ? ;)

I mean everyone can just go on review sites right ?

Nothing is 100%, that's why i used "as neutral as one can be"

Everyone can just go on review sites, but do they all really?

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I couldn't explain it right but I see tearing at 75fps in all the games I tested. Capping it at 74fps does the trick. Though I'm not sure about the explanation behind it.

That is the correct way to fix your "issue". This problem happens with G-Sync also because once Freesync and G-Sync reach the optimal frames of your monitor (in your case, 144fps) it turns off Freesync/G-Sync. But your video card is not able to maintain 144 CONSTANTLY, so when frames drop below 144, Freesync/G-Sync turns back on. This turning off and on causes the tearing you see. Setting the max frame below the max for you monitor will keep Freesync/G-Sync active at all times so tearing won't occur.

Meanwhile GTX 1070 has 150W TDP, while RX 56 won't differ much from it's older brother and will consume at least 300W. Some of people here don't care about the cost of electricity, true, but I don't know the people who don't care about raw power dissipation which needs to be removed.

Also, > 95% of people around me have neither FreeSync, nor GSync monitors, so you guys needs to slow down a bit. Very few people actually care about tear free monitors. Instead of a tear free free display, I'd rather buy something based on OLED, which supports true 10/12bit colors and HDR.
Vega56 has 210W TDP.
You cannot generalize only from your environment's habits. There may be at least that much gamers who would like a Sync monitor compared to the amount of gamers who would like an OLED HDR display.... Not to mention that Freesync doesn't really make that actual monitor expensive, compared to G-Sync.

Wow you sound pretty mad, but whatever, every and i say EVERY post i read coming from you it's always pro AMD, i swear, i'm not even joking, that's the difference between someone unbiased and someone neutral, i don't care whose hardware i buy, i just buy whatever is best for my money

NOT PISSING ON AMD DAY AFTER DAY DOESN'T FREAKING MAKE YOU PRO AMD.

It just means I don't see point in pissing all over it day after day because even RX Vega no matter how crappy you people think or say it is, it has its benefits and things that most likely will push the whole graphics industry forward. AMD has rarely been the absolute king of the hill and yet if you look through history, they are the driving force for many technologies used by everyone. Like for example Tessellation (ATi TruForm) and normal maps compression (ATi 3Dc), Vulkan/DX12 low level API (Mantle) and you can be assured that HBC will be used by everyone in the future. Maybe it won't prove itself super useful now, but it certainly will lead to yet another innovation made by AMD.

People just love to accuse me of being an AMD fanboy, but they conveniently leave out all the times I say good things about NVIDIA, where I confirm their superiority and when I correct things that are BS on AMD end (like the BS scaling of graphs for RX560 "review" here on TPU). Go on, search it a bit and you'll see. All these whiners calling me an AMD fanboy will never do that because it's inconvenient for their BS narrative that I'm an AMD fanboy. I can remember from top of my head that I've said several times that I'd have hard time considering AMD ever again if it didn't include Fast V-Sync like feature. To my luck, they did (Enhanced Sync). I also said several times that NVIDIA currently holds undisputed superiority in terms of performance. But whatever. Look it up and you'll see who's full of manure and who isn't.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64

Meanwhile GTX 1070 has 150W TDP, while RX 56 won't differ much from it's older brother and will consume at least 300W. Some of people here don't care about the cost of electricity, true, but I don't know the people who don't care about raw power dissipation which needs to be removed.

Also, > 95% of people around me have neither FreeSync, nor GSync monitors, so you guys needs to slow down a bit. Very few people actually care about tear free monitors. Instead of a tear free free display, I'd rather buy something based on OLED, which supports true 10/12bit colors and HDR.

Yeah, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

A card with 20% better performance in the numbers covered on the article (not representative) and 15% lower cost than the current GTX 1070 pricing is objectively, financially more attractive than the alternative. Your mileage may vary with power consumption costs, yes, but this is something I know most users look way lower in the shopping list than performance and retail pricing.

A Radeon Pack for $499 with two games, $100 discount on Ryzen/mobo combo, and a $200 discount on a FreeSync monitor is objectively better than $460 pricing for a GTX 1070 for people who are interested in the extra parts. That's why I said "has the potential to be a killer deal." For those who only want the card, there's a chance it won't be. For those who want more, it will be a killer deal.

Sentences like "Instead of a tear free free display, I'd rather buy something based on OLED," fully enters the subjective realm which wasn't even approached on the article. Objectivelly, $-wise, at the quoted prices, the RX Vega 56 is a better deal.

That is the correct way to fix your "issue". This problem happens with G-Sync also because once Freesync and G-Sync reach the optimal frames of your monitor (in your case, 144fps) it turns off Freesync/G-Sync. But your video card is not able to maintain 144 CONSTANTLY, so when frames drop below 144, Freesync/G-Sync turns back on. This turning off and on causes the tearing you see. Setting the max frame below the max for you monitor will keep Freesync/G-Sync active at all times so tearing won't occur.

That's not true. Just because graphic card outputs same or less frames as refresh, that doesn't mean it won't tear. You can have 60Hz screen and you have 60fps and it can tear like crazy if the frame is 1/3 of a frame late which means all 60 frames per second are 1/3 of a second late and it'll tear at around 1/3rd of the screen because they aren't aligned with the refresh. It just gets particularly bad at very high frames because it'll miss the refresh cycles even more often and in different places across the screen, making it way more noticeable and annoying. I think NVIDIA had actual presentations for Fast V-Sync and you'll see what I mean. For example, FreeSync and G-Sync both make sure that frames are always in sync, even when they are lower than refresh, because it adapts the refresh to the framerate, meaning it can't tear since both are identical.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Nothing is 100%, that's why i used "as neutral as one can be"

So basically you agree with what I said , that everyone is biased to a degree.

Everyone can just go on review sites, but do they all really?

So they go on places like this right ? But if everyone here is "neutral" with advice only taken from review sites , what is the point ?

One needs to figure out stuff on their own to be truly neutral. If all you do is stare at charts , you're not really doing a good job at remaining neutral.

A card with 20% better performance in the numbers covered on the article (not representative) and 15% lower cost than the current GTX 1070 pricing is objectively, financially more attractive than the alternative. Your mileage may vary with power consumption costs, yes, but this is something I know most users look way lower in the shopping list than performance and retail pricing.

You're comparing the current pricing for the GTX 1070, however you instantly forget that RX4XX and RX5XX are nowhere to be found at their MSRP, and if Vega RX proves to be a good mining card, it will be priced way above its MSRP which makes you price comparison totally invalid. 20% faster in cherry picked titles, favoring AMD.

A Radeon Pack for $499 with two games, $100 discount on Ryzen/mobo combo, and a $200 discount on a FreeSync monitor is objectively better than $460 pricing for a GTX 1070 for people who are interested in the extra parts. That's why I said "has the potential to be a killer deal." For those who only want the card, there's a chance it won't be. For those who want more, it will be a killer deal.

This could have been true 6 months ago when Ryzen got released. Again most people have either already upgraded to Ryzen or will not upgrade to it at all (as an Intel Core i5 2500 owner I don't care a bit about Ryzen - it has a similar IPC to my 6 years old CPU). Most people with actual money, fanboys notwithstanding, have already upgraded to 1080/1080 Ti.

Sentences like "Instead of a tear free free display, I'd rather buy something based on OLED," fully enters the subjective realm which wasn't even approached on the article. Objectivelly, $-wise, at the quoted prices, the RX Vega 56 is a better deal.

There's no RX Vega 56 to speak of. It will be released on August 14 in unknown quantities with unknown prices. Two weeks prior to its hard launch you make absolutely ridiculous unearthly claims.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i wonder how much peeps in these typical discussions have aircondition and like it cold or a car and like to go faster then you are allowed and dont think about what the car or aircon consumes but uuh ahh ohh the amd gpu uses so much power bäääh.

yes i know i love ya all

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
NOT PISSING ON AMD DAY AFTER DAY DOESN'T FREAKING MAKE YOU PRO AMD.

It just means I don't see point in pissing all over it day after day because even RX Vega no matter how crappy you people think or say it is, it has its benefits and things that most likely will push the whole graphics industry forward. AMD has rarely been the absolute king of the hill and yet if you look through history, they are the driving force for many technologies used by everyone. Like for example Tessellation (ATi TruForm) and normal maps compression (ATi 3Dc), Vulkan/DX12 low level API (Mantle) and you can be assured that HBC will be used by everyone in the future. Maybe it won't prove itself super useful now, but it certainly will lead to yet another innovation made by AMD.

People just love to accuse me of being an AMD fanboy, but they conveniently leave out all the times I say good things about NVIDIA, where I confirm their superiority and when I correct things that are BS on AMD end (like the BS scaling of graphs for RX560 "review" here on TPU). Go on, search it a bit and you'll see. All these whiners calling me an AMD fanboy will never do that because it's inconvenient for their BS narrative that I'm an AMD fanboy. I can remember from top of my head that I've said several times that I'd have hard time considering AMD ever again if it didn't include Fast V-Sync like feature. To my luck, they did (Enhanced Sync). I also said several times that NVIDIA currently holds undisputed superiority in terms of performance. But whatever. Look it up and you'll see who's full of manure and who isn't.

The fact that you NEVER talk bad about amd makes me say you're a fan, not the fact you're not pissing on amd, you're not never talking bad about amd, never, let alone pissing on it.

So basically you agree with what I said , that everyone is biased to a degree.

So they go on places like this right ? But if everyone here is "neutral" with advice only taken from review sites , what is the point ?

One needs to figure out stuff on their own to be truly neutral. If all you do is stare at charts , you're not really doing a good job at remaining neutral.

I agree to a certain point, if 8/10 reviews talk about the same stuff, and agree on 90+% of the stuff they talk about, it's pretty hard to be biased, unless they're all settled to say all the same things, which is again pretty hard since some of those websites hate each other. So even if there's a 1% or even 5% of bias it's as good as unbiased

You're comparing the current pricing for the GTX 1070, however you instantly forget that RX4XX and RX5XX are nowhere to be found at their MSRP, and if Vega RX proves to be a good mining card, it will be priced way above its MSRP which makes you price comparison totally invalid. 20% faster in cherry picked titles, favoring AMD.

The card will start at its MSRP ($400). If the miners want to get their hands on those, in some weeks, it will get more expensive. But at the start, it will be $400. So if someone wants it, he can get it.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
Ok, how in bloody hell that even works? If AMD has small market share, why would anyone bother specializing their engines favoriting AMD? Just pointing out the obvious. You know, maybe AMD is just good at it? Why can't that be a possibility? Why that only applies when NVIDIA is good at it?

amd owns the console market, which is the main target for like 75/80% of all games (makers) so it makes sense to squeeze as much out of that as they can.

imo anyway.

these resluts i take with a pinch of salt till i see them from respected reviewers. that being said if they have the tiled rasterization working now the jump makes sense.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I agree to a certain point, if 8/10 reviews talk about the same stuff, and agree on 90+% of the stuff they talk about, it's pretty hard to be biased, unless they're all settled to say all the same things, which is again pretty hard since some of those websites hate each other. So even if there's a 1% or even 5% of bias it's as good as unbiased

I'll just give an example , when I bought my 1060 I initially wanted to buy an RX 480 and I would have still bought one today , there was one issue , Nvidia's drivers favor more cores as opposed to AMD's which hammer down on just one core/thread.

My CPU would have been more a bottleneck if I went with an RX 480 , even though I would have preferred it above a 1060. However none of the review sites talked about this aspect , because 95% of them are very shallow with their reviews. Just some charts put together in one day and sent out as fast as possible to gain as much traffic as possible. I do not blame them , they are in the business of making money , but I cannot really much on their relevance and you shouldn't either.

I understand not everyone has the time to do research and just end up going on to popular review sites , but one should acknowledge how inaccurate they can be and how little of the whole story do they convey most of the time. Not to mention that some of the practices that are happening with regards to review samples make me question their relevance and bias even more.

So again , I am not saying you can't use them , but please don't infer they are anywhere near being 100% neutral or accurate.

Last edited:

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
birdie,

I'm comparing the values we know now. With the information we have, the current state of affairs, the GTX 1070 costs on average $460, and the Vega 56 costs $399. I'm not comparing RX 400 or 500 series. I don't even mention them in the piece. I don't care about their pricing - they're not relevant for the article. When, if, Vega is at a higher price than MSRP, I'll revise my position accordingly. If these performance numbers are a dud, I'll revise my position accordingly. Why don't you revise your current one?

This could have been true 6 months ago when Ryzen got released. Again most people have either already upgraded to Ryzen or will not upgrade to it at all (as an Intel Core i5 2500 owner I don't care a bit about Ryzen - it has a similar IPC to my 6 years old CPU). Most people with actual money, fanboys notwithstanding, have already upgraded to 1080/1080 Ti.

For the people who care about it, it's a killer deal. I don't understand your insistence on this topic. Not everyone will think so. True. And? For those who care, it is. Those're the people I'm referring to.

There's no RX Vega 56 to speak of. It will be released on August 14 in unknown quantities with unknown prices. Two weeks prior to its hard launch you make absolutely ridiculous unearthly claims.

It's just a matter of reviewing our current knowledge on the situation, I really don't understand how you don't see it. What will happen doesn't matter. What matters, for the scope of the article, is what we know, what is.

When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do?

Last edited:
The fact that you NEVER talk bad about amd makes me say you're a fan, not the fact you're not pissing on amd, you're not never talking bad about amd, never, let alone pissing on it.

Ok, if being quiet and not bitching over AMD all the time automatically means I'm favoring AMD, so one would assume I'm constantly saying how garbage NVIDIA is, right? Well, good luck finding that, coz you won't find any (and don't pull stuff out of context). Only time I ever mentioned downsides about NVIDIA was about particular features or FX and Kepler series. And how Pascal is ridiculously fast, but doesn't really bring any tech that would excite me. It's just a very fast card. And that's about it. Wouldn't that, I don't know, kinda make me you know, neutral? Just because I can find positives in otherwise underwhelming launch of RX Vega, that doesn't mean I'm a fanboy.

It almost makes me want to buy RX Vega just to piss people off here at TPU. Seeing all of you implode here would be the best s***t ever.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Ok, if being quiet and not bitching over AMD all the time automatically means I'm favoring AMD, so one would assume I'm constantly saying how garbage NVIDIA is, right? Well, good luck finding that, coz you won't find any (and don't pull stuff out of context). Only time I ever mentioned downsides about NVIDIA was about particular features or FX and Kepler series. And how Pascal is ridiculously fast, but doesn't really bring any tech that would excite me. It's just a very fast card. And that's about it. Wouldn't that, I don't know, kinda make me you know, neutral? Just because I can find positives in otherwise underwhelming launch of RX Vega, that doesn't mean I'm a fanboy.

It almost makes me want to buy RX Vega just to piss people off here at TPU. Seeing all of you implode here would be the best s***t ever.
Do this exercise: go back and see how many positive posts you had about AMD and how many about Nvidia in the past couple of months. Then do the same for negative posts.

Processor i7 2600K
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
I'll just give an example , when I bought my 1060 I initially wanted to buy an RX 480 and I would have still bought one today , there was one issue , Nvidia's drivers favor more cores as opposed to AMD's which hammer down on just one core/thread.

My CPU would have been more a bottleneck if I went with an RX 480 , even though I would have preferred it above a 1060. However none of the review sites talked about this aspect , because 95% of them are very shallow with their reviews. Just some charts put together in one day and sent out as fast as possible to gain as much traffic as possible. I do not blame them , they are in the business of making money , but I cannot really much on their relevance and you shouldn't either.

I understand not everyone has the time to do research and just end up going on to popular review sites , but one should knowledge how inaccurate they can be and how little of the whole story do they convey most of the time. Not to mention that some of the practices that are happening with regards to review samples make me question their relevance and bias even more.

So again , I am not saying you can't use them , but please don't infer they are anywhere near being 100% neutral or accurate.

Until like 3 months ago i had an old GTX580, i decided to buy something new, i found a 480 GTR black edition from xfx at something like 240€ on amazon france, received it, so happy, but afterwards i found out it had consistent coil whine, it had few stupid issues, which put together made me send it back, and get a 1060 gaming x which is been doing pretty good at least until now.

Now i'd been reading all kind of reviews in the months before buying the new card, and in pretty much ALL of them the 1060 was faster on most of the games tried in the benchmark it was something like 60/40 in favour of nvidia, but the price of that gtr black edition was just too good, and you know what happened next. So what?

You're all obsessed with this thing where nvidia pays everyone to make it look good, and make amd look bad, it's not like that, it could be like that in some case, but if you examine 20 reviews or something around it, and at the end of the story 90% of them agree over most of the points, there's no way they could all be biased, just this.

Also i'm pretty sure someone (because i already read it somewhere) would start to think someone isn't biased if they start talking good about amd in any case.

We're talking about AMD here not nvidia, i don't care what you think about nvidia.

And you don't even realize that amd has most of the mind share atm especially of forums, everyone just loves AMD because they're the underdogs, so they must be good and right, and nvidia is the villain which is wrong and only want to steal our money. That's a fairy tale.
If you're looking for a less harsh on AMD forum or anyway, somewhere AMD fun are automatically right just go on OCN, TPU is much more neutral and there's all kind of people, from nvidia fanboys to amd fanboys pretty much in the same quantity.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

I kinda wanted to do that with Ryzen. Now I have Ryzen I'm happy i gave AMD money but I did not foresee Intel cutting it's costs. Dont buy something to spite others, it makes you a fool. Buy it to experience something new. At least with my CPU, gaming is not entirely affected though it does hold back a 1080ti at 2Ghz, even at 1440p. At least the fps is high enough tha it doesn't matter on a 60Hz monitor.

The Vega 56 does sound totally like Fury to Fury X - the better value proposition but wait for reviews to see how it manages. Also, dont forget, a custom 980ti tends to beat a 1070 (or level with it) so you're looking at a 2 year old card matching a Vega 56 potentially (20% OC results on stock 980ti is quite common). If you frame it that way, it's not quite as good looking.

If I had the budget for a card like a 1070 or a Vega 56, I'd wait for reviews for sure. The few titles used to bench so far are not AMD biased but they absolutely paint AMD's better side. Just watch Nvidia discretely lower 1070/1080 prices if Vega is a threat to them. Really dude - wait, read, consider the options and buy your card and enjoy it, whatever you choose.

EDIT: I dont want Vega to be too good because I cant afford to buy a new gfx card yet :rolleyes: (upgrade itch is like herpes - it never truly goes away). Hoping I'm safe with my 1080ti on steroids.

Do this exercise: go back and see how many positive posts you had about AMD and how many about Nvidia in the past couple of months. Then do the same for negative posts.

Of course there's more discussion about Vega in recent months. Why would I talk about a year old product (Pascal) that I don't care since it has all been discussed like trillion times already? VEGA is the shit everyone talks about now. Including me, you and everyone else.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You're all obsessed with this thing where nvidia pays everyone to make it look good, and make amd look bad, it's not like that, it.

I have no idea how they payed anyone , but one thing is clear : they did their best to shove things like GameWorks and other things ( which are in my opinion shady tactics ) such as making developers put ludicrous amounts of tessellation because they knew AMD wasn't as efficient at it.

You may think these are perfectly legit methods but that doesn't change the fact that yes , Nvidia did do their best to make AMD look bad.