• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Where's My Bitcoin? "Cerber" Ransomware Starts Stealing Cryptocurrency Wallets

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
"Where's my Bitcoin?" is a question no miner, investor or mere user in the cryptocurrency ever wants to have to ask. There's always someone willing to take advantage of someone else's hard work or subjection to risk in order to increase their own value; and if there's something years of cyber security have told us, is that hackers seldom lag in picking up new sources of undeserved revenue. So it was only a matter of time before general purpose ransomware started seeing updates so as to take advantage of the newer trends in valuable assets. Enter cryptocurrency. And you can probably guess the rest of this piece.

The new, updated Cerber ransomware routine now not only encrypts a user's files, it also looks for some specific, known Bitcoin wallet applications (namely, and as of time of writing, Bitcoin Core, Electrum, and Multibit), copies them to an external server controlled by the hackers, and proceeds to delete them from the user's PC. Naturally, Cerber also has a routine that handles copying passwords that are stored in your browser of choice. The wallet stealing and copying isn't much of a concern per se; there are additional security measures in any given wallet before the hackers can access their potential treasure trove of cryptocurrency. However, many people also keep files with passwords or some such on their computers; and could be doing a disfavor to themselves by not keeping another copy of their wallets on a secure, non-internet connected hardware wallet, or even USB pen. Naturally, a user who kept the password for their wallet on their system is vulnerable to the entire "ransomware" portion of the Cerber malware; and if someone doesn't even have another copy of their wallet but keeps an ungodly amount of value in it, could very well be facing losses towards the entirety of their wallet. Definitely not a good place to be.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Good. I hope the lose it all. Cryptocurrency is trash.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

Any reason for this terrible statement? One mans trash is anothers' treasure and all that.

Any reason for this terrible statement? One mans trash is anothers' treasure and all that.
Because they don't understand what concurrency is or how it works so to them it's stupid and a little scary and why is everyone talking about it all the time oh gosh nobody cares about Bitcoin I hope it gets stolen and is worth nothing and it's stupid and dumb.

For those of you who use cryptocurrencies - make offline backups of your wallet(s) and don't keep your coins in online exchanges. Online exchanges are not banks and cryptocurrency is completely unregulated. It's up to you to keep your coins safe.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

Crypto currency isn't based on anything real or has anything of such backing it up. Wonder why such currencies keep going way up, then way down quickly as a trend with them?
Too volatile because there isn't anything to anchor the said value of it.

If for some reason such currency were to become the actual currency of wherever with today's standards, woudn't be long before the big crash would come and I mean hard. Yes it would happen sooner or later - Probrably sooner - Anything speculative is subject to being of a volatile nature and that's why it would happen simply due to how volatile it is period.

Gotta have something real to anchor it or it's like streamers in the wind.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Crypto currency isn't based on anything real or has anything of such backing it up.

Neither does the dollar. There are so few commodity currencies (if any?) anymore. It's all fiat currency, backed up by a promise to pay a bearer who holds a note (a dollar). That dollar is not linked to gold it is linked to global markets and investments, sensitive to as much as a political miscommunication or a single stock crash. Money is no longer 'real' any more than bitcoin. People make money metaphorically out of thin air with the concept of interest on a loan, a speculation on a perceived rise, increases the rate and a fear of failure (no matter how misguided or unsubstantiated) will decrease a value. Speculation and 'investor' confidence dictate global values. Money is meaningless.

Cryptocurrency is just as valid as a fiat currency as long as there is a person willing to exchange goods for the coin.

I'm not defending crytpocurrency but highlighting it is very real and it is just as valid as a fiat currency whose value is dictated to by sociopathic traders, venture capitalists and greed. Frankly, we need to get back to barter and trade, money has made the world sick. I'll give you a potato for a glass of milk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fx

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I couldn't agree more.

I'm not defending crytpocurrency but highlighting it is very real and it is just as valid as a fiat currency whose value is dictated to by sociopathic traders, venture capitalists and greed. Frankly, we need to get back to barter and trade, money has made the world sick. I'll give you a potato for a glass of milk.

You make good points. I'm still of the opinion that we don't need more fiat currency BS than we already have to deal with. It's all manipulated funny money.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro

The problem started when the barriers and balances were taken out for the sake of "freedom". What common people didn't realize is when some of these people shouted "freedom" they really meant "law of the jungle", as they are the modern predators.

And now if you try to put some sanity through law you get called tyrant or communist. There is no pacific solution, just wait to burn to cinders when this get totally out of control, like always.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I'll give you a potato for a glass of milk.

I think a big problem with barter markets is its too easy to become destitute. You eat the potato and now you have nothing.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Because they don't understand what concurrency is or how it works so to them it's stupid and a little scary and why is everyone talking about it all the time oh gosh nobody cares about Bitcoin I hope it gets stolen and is worth nothing and it's stupid and dumb.

For those of you who use cryptocurrencies - make offline backups of your wallet(s) and don't keep your coins in online exchanges. Online exchanges are not banks and cryptocurrency is completely unregulated. It's up to you to keep your coins safe.
Actually I know exactly what it is and it's origin. That's why I know it's trash. All it will take is one law and poof its all worthless. It's worth is trash and so are its minors.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Did someone from nvidia or AMD make this to get people to not buy GPUs to mine? I'm smellin somethin wierd here....

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the King's horses, And all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again!

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Did someone from nvidia or AMD make this to get people to not buy GPUs to mine? I'm smellin somethin wierd here....

Why do they care? They're selling their product?

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
the GPU vendors are hating the miners right now since there's some short stock for gamers... so this is prolly thier way of getting back... lol

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Neither does the dollar. There are so few commodity currencies (if any?) anymore. It's all fiat currency, backed up by a promise to pay a bearer who holds a note (a dollar). That dollar is not linked to gold it is linked to global markets and investments, sensitive to as much as a political miscommunication or a single stock crash. Money is no longer 'real' any more than bitcoin. People make money metaphorically out of thin air with the concept of interest on a loan, a speculation on a perceived rise, increases the rate and a fear of failure (no matter how misguided or unsubstantiated) will decrease a value. Speculation and 'investor' confidence dictate global values. Money is meaningless.

Cryptocurrency is just as valid as a fiat currency as long as there is a person willing to exchange goods for the coin.

With respect I must disagree to a point.
Things such as the dollar were created and established by an official ruling body or government, cryptocurrency was originally created by an individual, other crypo currencies created since are the same way and individuals can literally create their own money via mining.

True, nothing is backed nowadays but we do know at one time it was, crypto never was in the first place.

You also don't see crypo currency being used on things like stockmarkets, just for individual transactions. I can say it's also an appealing currency for those involved with criminal activities but then again real money is too but it's harder to track crypto than the real stuff which is one of it's favored traits for criminals and those that like it.
I could have gotten into it back in 2012 no prob and probrably would have a lot of it now if I did but even back then I saw the potential problems with it so I stayed out of it. With things like wallets being stolen, ransomed and such it's very likely I would have lost at least some of it by now.

And yes, all it would take is a law being passed and it's all for nothing making it and one's efforts/investment to mine it worthless.
If you want to do it, your call but I'll pass on it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
This has been happening since the early days of bitcoin. I see nothing really new here, just a new means to facilitate it.

the GPU vendors are hating the miners right now since there's some short stock for gamers... so this is prolly thier way of getting back... lol

The sentiment is far more mixed than that.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

On the contrary, I dont think this is the case at all. I was talking about it with some of my techs today and I actually belive its the exact opposite.

GPU vendors want to make money. It doesnt matter to them if only miners buy them and even better if they drive up the price. Further more its even better for them since the demand for GPUs is at levels that are almost higher then they have ever been they even found a new market. Mining GPUs. Now they get the best of both worlds while catering to a new niche market.

Angry? Not a chance.

Any day the warehouse is sold out of GPUs is a good day for GPU manufacturers.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
another poor mad angry gamer

This doesn't help either man. We need to build bridges with the angry gamers and make them realize that the miner isn't the source of the issue, free market economics is more to blame than anything if you want to get angry (not that I want the alternative, lol).

I am getting sick of the "mining degenerate" type comments on these forums though. Even not being a miner myself anymore, I see it as very poor behavior that would not be tolerated towards any other group here, and feel the mods are really lending a deaf ear to this. People need to realize we have a significant mining presence here on these forums and calling such people things is not going to get you very far.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
This doesn't help either man. We need to build bridges with the angry gamers and make them realize that the miner isn't the source of the issue, free market economics is more to blame than anything if you want to get angry (not that I want the alternative, lol).

I am getting sick of the "mining degenerate" type comments on these forums though. Even not being a miner myself anymore, I see it as very poor behavior that would not be tolerated towards any other group. People need to realize we have a significant mining presence here on these forums and calling such people things is not going to get you very far.
I'm not mad about the gaming. Could care less. Going full console soon. I just cannot process how people run algorithms on their rigs without knowing the cause/purpose of them AND they do it for a faux currency. It blows my mind people in this community are so short sighted.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I'm not mad about the gaming. Could care less. Going full console soon. I just cannot process how people run algorithms on their rigs without knowing the cause/purpose of them AND they do it for a faux currency. It blows my mind people in this community are so short sighted.

For money? The algorithms ARE known by the way. The rules are well known. Heck the source code is auditable. The purpose is also well known. It's all to run a global payment network.

As for "faux currency" it's about as faux currency as any currency these days not backed by something more than faith. At this point in time, bitcoin is effectively "backed" by investor money in other currencies.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
For money? The algorithms ARE known by the way. The rules are well known. Heck the source code is auditable. The purpose is also well known. It's all to run a global payment network.

As for "faux currency" it's about as faux currency as any currency these days not backed by something more than faith. At this point in time, bitcoin is effectively "backed" by investor money in other currencies.
Source code is auditable yes but, the propose of the algorithms is not known. Never has been. They don't even know 100% who came up with them. If they knew that, there would be nothing to mine as encryption would be broken. Also bitcoin backed by other government insured asset currencies. Lets be clear. The Dollar, Pound and Euro are "faux" currency true but, they are insured by millions of assets. Bitcoin could end tomorrow with a single law.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
While everyone else it talking about crypto-please hack my-currency.....Meantime,

The other subject in this article is about passwords. Anyone foolish enough to save a text file named passwordlist.txt (or anything similar) is just asking to get hurt. A decent Password Manager that allows you to name your own keyfile to unlock your password manager will work well as long as you dont name it MyPasswordKeyfile.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
While everyone else it talking about crypto-please hack my-currency.....Meantime,

The other subject in this article is about passwords. Anyone foolish enough to save a text file named passwordlist.txt (or anything similar) is just asking to get hurt. A decent Password Manager that allows you to name your own keyfile to unlock your password manager will work well as long as you dont name it MyPasswordKeyfile.
OR notebook paper.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Source code is auditable yes but, the propose of the algorithms is not known. Never has been.

Completely false. The purpose of sha256 in bitcoin is well established. Its simply a hash comparitive as part of the proof of work. (In short, the idea is to get a really really small hash and know exactly how many attempts it took to get there. This solves the block, and is easily validatable). The idea that it's being used for anything else or some secret project is mathamatically and factually silly.

Bitcoin won't end tomorrow in a "single law" because as cdawall has pointed out, the government and its members are players at this point.