• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Clock for Clock, Vega VS FuryX and discussion

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm not saying it's representative of what it will be, if you read that correctly, I'm saying that v100 was paper launched in may 2017 and available in q3 same year, ppl suggesting that we're have to wait 1.5 year for the gaming variant is a a stretch.
Your right in regards to time but calling it voltas a stretch , why would Nvidia all of a sudden put the 64bit back in consumer land or the tensor units or an 18000$ chip for that matter.
Its going to be Another pascal/maxwell/kepler refresh called volta.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
The fact that GV100 is already in the hands on some researchers bodes well as it's largest most complex chip in the lineup, stands to reason stripping back elements that are of no relevance to gamers shouldn't be a big deal.

As it stands, the still have the performance crown with a gently sliced GP102 anyway so no hurry, besides this is all massively off topic.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I'm not saying it's representative of what it will be, if you read that correctly, I'm saying that v100 was paper launched in may 2017 and available in q3 same year, suggesting that we have to wait 1.5 year for the gaming variant is a stretch. Also, unless he means that amd will just do a straight rebrand of the cards that literally just launched, expecting team red to launch another series before volta is not something I can really logically comprehend given how much time it usually takes them to release a high end card.

Why is it a stretch ? AMD screwed up the typical release schedule , Nvidia is in a tight spot even if RX Vega did not dethrone them.

They simply don't have a clear cut plan anymore as of right now , they spent so much time and money piling up features on the Tesla cards while stripping down the Geforce line-up and now AMD is offering monstrous FP16 performance for peanuts.

I mean what are they going to do ? Use Volta in it's current iteration with Tensor Cores on gaming cards and cannibalize the astronomically priced Tesla's while offering 0 advantage to gaming ?

Enable full FP16 performance on them and push it to developers ? Well Vega already has that , if they get developers to focus more on FP16 and get an uplift in performance using it , so will Vega.

Volta has no extra features to give an edge in gaming compared to Pascal. Going from 16nm to 14nm is a small jump , not enough to account for huge increases in clock speed or shader count like they could with Pascal , at least not without major compromises on power efficiency and costs.

They have no reason to release Volta as in a competitor for RX Vega, they would just be wasting money. It would be a smart idea to wait one year or even more and come up with a different/modified design from Volta to fight off Navi. Remember that Maxwell stayed around for about 2 years as well.

Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Market share for Vega will remain too small for devs to start pushing FP16 too much, we know AMD have got into bed with Bethesda but I don't see much changing anytime soon.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Market share for Vega will remain too small for devs to start pushing FP16 too much, we know AMD have got into bed with Bethesda but I don't see much changing anytime soon.

Ewww you mean AMD will only make dissapointing, shallow, stupid, overhyped products from now on? Wait, they already do, but the difference is people for some reason love Bethsoft specifically because they can write stories as well as they can write code, which is on the level of a horny 13-year old. "Immershun". :shadedshu:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
You keep saying fp16 , that's a general thing thats been about years but was principally pointless to use in that if all your code passes through 32bit compute engines and the engine in question cant go quicker using 16bit ops then their is no point using 16bit ops and people don't ,Rpm is a step ahead in its application in that Now a card will do four through a 64bit array in one pass ,calling it simply fp16 is either missleading or miss understanding its nature.
As is believing its not going to have much market share , given pc and console use cases it should see reasonable adoption by devs.
It only needs to be addopted by engine devs in reality ie Ea using it in one game on one use case enabled all Eas offices to also use it ,they may not but they already can.

Last edited:
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
You keep saying fp16 , that's a general thing thats been about years but was principally pointless to use in that if all your code passes through 32bit compute engines and the engine in question cant go quicker using 16bit ops then their is no point using 16bit ops and people don't ,Rpm is a step ahead in its application in that Now a card will do four through a 64bit array in one pass ,calling it simply fp16 is either missleading or miss understanding its nature.
As is believing its not going to have much market share , given pc and console use cases it should see reasonable adoption by devs.

Of course, but I just don't see loads of devs focusing that much support on it initially, when the vast majority of cards won't benefit.

Again, this is too much off topic.

Depending on how much work that means for developers. If it's a thing of flipping a switch on stuff devs build, then it could become a thing rather quickly. In the end, everyone can benefit from it. First AMD, if it proves to be useful, NVIDIA might jump on it as well. Or it might even become a part of DirectX eventually.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
More speculation going on here than a room full of investors at a speculative investment meeting.

If you all just take a step back and try making TPU less like a school playground and more like a tech debate, that'd be nice. As for Volta, stop talking crap about a product few people seem to actually have any knowledge or interest in.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/inside-volta/

This explains a lot of the changes Volta makes over Pascal. There is a large drive to increase parallelisation through changes to the warp scheduler as well as other elements that taken together make Volta a very flexible GPU.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
How come we are talking Volta now? We were discussing the architecture improvement of Vega over Fiji

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Why is it a stretch ? AMD screwed up the typical release schedule , Nvidia is in a tight spot even if RX Vega did not dethrone them.

They simply don't have a clear cut plan anymore as of right now , they spent so much time and money piling up features on the Tesla cards while stripping down the Geforce line-up and now AMD is offering monstrous FP16 performance for peanuts.

I mean what are they going to do ? Use Volta in it's current iteration with Tensor Cores on gaming cards and cannibalize the astronomically priced Tesla's while offering 0 advantage to gaming ?

Enable full FP16 performance on them and push it to developers ? Well Vega already has that , if they get developers to focus more on FP16 and get an uplift in performance using it , so will Vega.

Volta has no extra features to give an edge in gaming compared to Pascal. Going from 16nm to 14nm is a small jump , not enough to account for huge increases in clock speed or shader count like they could with Pascal , at least not without major compromises on power efficiency and costs.

They have no reason to release Volta as in a competitor for RX Vega, they would just be wasting money. It would be a smart idea to wait one year or even more and come up with a different/modified design from Volta to fight off Navi. Remember that Maxwell stayed around for about 2 years as well.
Explain two things to me. To what extent is that monstrous fp16 performance going to affect gaming performance and how does that compare to nvidia's ability just to release a 600mm2 chip like they did with GM200 and upgrade it with ridiculosly fast GDDR6. I think nvidia has the ability to make a card that would smash V64. I mean even looking at the gap between v64 and 1080Ti, do you take it for granted that with rapid packed math amd is certain to top that by such a big margin that volta will be in such a tight spot?
And second thing, are tensor cores necessary for nvidia to release a card with double fp16 performance like vega ? AFAIK P100 offers double fp16 as well, I don't see no tensor cores on it.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Well, I can tell you that there won't be any Volta till 2018 for sure. Partially because Volta is so expensive to make and partially because AMD isn't really pushing the envelope with Vega.

I was gaming pretty comfortably with GTX 980, going to GTX 1080Ti means I'll be good for minimum 2 years like I was with GTX 980. Meaning my next replacement will be just in sync with Volta and Navi if all goes as predicted.

So how do you know how much all of the Vega Volta architecture costs? All brands have somewhat accelerated launch schedules on cards, I would not be surprised if we saw something new (or refreshed) for this holiday season.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
This explains a lot of the changes Volta makes over Pascal. There is a large drive to increase parallelisation through changes to the warp scheduler as well as other elements that taken together make Volta a very flexible GPU.

Flexible indeed , for compute that is. With each new iteration they are reintroducing and improving the hardware scheduling/control capabilities that they got rid off with Kepler. Volta is a compute oriented architecture , even more so than Vega.

A truly unexciting time to be a gamer , almost every advancement now is meant to benefit GPGPU/heterogeneous computing.

Explain two things to me. To what extent is that monstrous fp16 performance going to affect gaming performance and how does that compare to nvidia's ability just to release a 600mm2 chip like they did with GM200 and upgrade it with ridiculosly fast GDDR6. I think nvidia has the ability to make a card that would smash V64. I mean even looking at the gap between v64 and 1080Ti, do you take it for granted that with rapid packed math amd is certain to top that by such a big margin that volta will be in such a tight spot?
And second thing, are tensor cores necessary for nvidia to release a card with double fp16 performance like vega ? AFAIK P100 offers double fp16 as well, I don't see no tensor cores on it.

Not exactly sure what are you talking about , my point was Volta is not fit/meant to compete with Vega from a gaming point of view and odds are Nvidia might prefer to wait on this one , all those things you said are exact reasons on why this might just be the case.

The monstrous FP16 performance is the reason why Nvidia will not give the average Joe fully capable Volta cards , at which point you might just as well call it a Pascal refresh.

Yes they have the ability to make a 600 mm^2 Pascal chip , but why ? To beat whom ? Their own cards ? You know how expensive these dies are do you ? Nvidia is probably paying TSMC money hand over fist for those V100 cores. They are not Intel you know , they'll try and avoid using such low yields chips for consumer parts in order to make room for what they ship to data-centers.

GDDR6 ridiculously fast ? :laugh: Where did you get that from ? First batch of GDDR6 chips are supposed to be 14Gbps ,that's faster than current GDDR5X chips by about what , 20% ? Ridiculously fast ? By what standards ?

You do know that for example on Vega with HBM2 a doubled bus-width would give you 1 terabyte of bandwidth. Hell P100 already has about 700gb/s bandwidth. There goes your ridiculously fast GDDR6. Cheaper than HBM perhaps , ridiculously fast nah.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sometimes performance per clock (or IPC) is lower in a more modern architecture (or process), because it makes something else possible, so in the end performance is higher. You're totally ignoring this aspect.
I'm not ignoring it in this case since clock for clock vega is still faster than fiji ... but I can see how my post may have come across as a general statement
I don't see how, yes you can run crysis on both at same clocks and compare how they both run in effect legacy software .
But most of the architecture changes were for non functioning in that test ,features ,and i dont buy gpus for games i can already run fine.
I buy them for games due to be released.
But it Is an easy way to troll Amds software team who admittedly have not yet enabled CBR or rpm etc etc.
I'm certain AMD driver team is still finishing vega drivers, it will be interesting to run these vega/fiji clock for clock tests in a year or so
Again, this is too much off topic.
Discussing one of the improvements in the thread about architectural improvements is not off topic.

Devs can get creative when opportunity to extract additional performance exists ... speeding up complex shaders by using fp16 instead fp32 where it isn't visually noticeable (half precision = banding on gradients). Good example is using half precision for reflections in PBR shaders. Shader compiler should use packed math automatically on vega (also a wait for that to be finished)

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Flexible indeed , for compute that is. With each new iteration they are reintroducing and improving the hardware scheduling/control capabilities that they got rid off with Kepler. Volta is a compute oriented architecture , even more so than Vega.

A truly unexciting time to be a gamer , almost every advancement now is meant to benefit GPGPU/heterogeneous computing.

Time to buy a console.... :(

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Time to buy a console.... :(

The situation is still not that bad in order for that to happen thankfully :respect: :laugh:

But yeah the days when engineers would only have to worry about figuring out ways to make games run faster are unfortunately over.

Last edited:
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Case Antec 1200
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Indeed, let's start with the sins!

https://videocardz.com/blog/all-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-sins

Some really dodgy console ports may or may not save the day.

At least according to buildzoid testing, primitive discarding is 100% functional. HBCC should not affect performance as long as vram is not bottlenecked. All those millions of extra transistors and extra silicon real estate are purely for boosting clock speed. I can see RTG taking a page from Maxwell and Pascal. It may be the bad node manufacturer of GloFo that is causing such hideous power consumption. If Vega's power consumption is within 5% of 1080/1070, then the situation would look a lot better.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
GloFo undoubtedly bears some guilt for this situation.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Except if you've seen the news about "different" chips being discovered and AMD confirmed they were using multiple fabs.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...iffer-physically-and-quite-significantly.html
Now that might just mean assembly and it's a one man show on the actual chip fab, but...

Hmm , even if they would use another manufaturer ( which would most likely be TSMC ) they still need to build it around the same node with the same spec. While TSMC for example might be able to provide a better node , they would still have to cater to the lowest denominator , which would be GloFo.

One thing is for sure , GloFo is not among the best and they have been a hamstring for AMD for quite some time.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
GloFo undoubtedly bears some guilt for this situation.

I agree. Some design flaw mixed with the incompetence of GoFlo. Perfect combination for a power hungry chip.

With RTG's current situation(being spun off as a separate group within AMD) they will probably have to milk both Polaris and Vega to death before getting to a new arc of GPU design. We may see power efficiency fine tuned version of Polaris and Vega next year. If not power effciency fine tuned, at least higher clocked(1.8GHz~2GHz?) version of Vega+

It is highly likely we will be seeing GCN for another 2~3yrs before we have anything exciting from AMD that can challenge the top end of graphic market

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I agree. Some design flaw mixed with the incompetence of GoFlo. Perfect combination for a power hungry chip.

With RTG's current situation(being spun off as a separate group within AMD) they will probably have to milk both Polaris and Vega to death before getting to a new arc of GPU design. We may see power efficiency fine tuned version of Polaris and Vega next year. If not power effciency fine tuned, at least higher clocked(1.8GHz~2GHz?) version of Vega+

It is highly likely we will be seeing GCN for another 2~3yrs before we have anything exciting from AMD that can challenge the top end of graphic market

I agree, but i think GCN is about to bust into the high end space as they are just going to start gluing these suckers together with infinity fabric...

very likely they will, as you say, start powertuning, and then go massive mcm at the same time.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Now you mentioned IF, or shall we say FineGlue? There were something in the Vega reviews asking the connection speed of IF between Vega core and HBM2. This may be another limiting factor of Vega performance.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Now you mentioned IF, or shall we say FineGlue? There were something in the Vega reviews asking the connection speed of IF between Vega core and HBM2. This may be another limiting factor of Vega performance.

Any interconnect will choke performance, but if the approach is that you can pump out 4 downclocked/harvested vega (say 4x56) cores sitting on IF - even with a penalty - that should outperform any monolithic design currently available.

I agree with you though - im sure in the beginning it will be a bit of a frankenchip.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...ega_utilises_their_new_infinity_fabric_tech/1

"well this new vega sure runs great at 4K, but due to the IF, if you try to run it above 200fps, your house explodes"...