• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retailers are Buying AMD RX Vega 64 at $675 Each

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Radeon RX Vega series launch has been particularly disappointing for gamers and PC enthusiasts because their otherwise interesting price-performance ratios at $499 for the RX Vega 64 and $399 for the RX Vega 56, were quickly stripped away by dwindling stock and sky-rocketing prices, with the RX Vega 64 even going above $1k in some places. We are not even sure if the miners are to blame or whether supplier-level pricing has been adjusted after the launch to a higher price point that makes AMD's promised pricing impossible to achieve.

It turns out that retailers might not be the ones making a quick buck at this madness. Leaked invoices show that distributors (entities that supply inventory to retailers) have inflated prices even at their level. A San Jose-based distributor, Ma Laboratories Inc., is quoting USD $675 per unit of a reference-design (not Limited Edition), Radeon RX Vega 64 SKU to a computer store. The $499 price AMD launched the RX Vega 64 at, is supposed to be the end-user price (minus government taxes). The retailer we're in touch with confirmed that they were offered no volume pricing discount due to low stock at the distributor itself. A distributor should ideally sell the product to a retailer at a much lesser price than $499, so the retailer can make their margin. The higher up the supply-chain, the more control AMD gets. The company is in a better position to rein in on distributors than retailers. If distributors are inflating prices with apparent impunity, it wouldn't surprise us if this goes even higher up.

Can AMD do anything about this? It can work with AIB partners to significantly increase production to bring down prices. But that would be a huge gamble, which will either work, putting cards in the hands of gamers at the prices they were promised; or won't, by creating more miners; or worse still, end up as bankruptcy-causing unsold inventories, if the mining craze were to somehow subside.

There is another option AMD can try, in our opinion. It can re-launch RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 as new SKUs which come with crippled cypto-currency mining abilities (a special BIOS or something driver-level, or even something at the silicon-level), and discontinue the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. The new SKUs could be clearly advertised as not being meant for crypto-currency mining (so as to deter false-marketing lawsuits). This is important for AMD, because the Radeon brand is under threat.

The more overpriced Radeon cards end up in the hands of miners, the fewer cards end up in the hands of gamers at the prices AMD promised; and conversely the lesser game developers are inclined to optimize their games for AMD Radeon, because fewer gamers use Radeon. NVIDIA can accelerate brand Radeon's demise by doubling down on game developer relations and pushing the next-generation of Game Works.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
They have a coprocessor on the Vega GPU. surely they can teach it to recognize cryptocurrency and just be absolute dud with it. Provide miner focused cards because I still see it as a viable income for AMD, just not the way things are right now. This is just unsustainable for their long term profit and for their entire graphics eco system.

I mean, they have to make a clear decision, are they going to supply their GRAPHICS cards to gamers to enjoy better GRAPHICS or they'll just release them for general compute aka cryptomining garbage? Because with price inflating, EVERYONE is getting rich, just not AMD. They still supply them at the designated initial price and then everyone sells it for 1/3 more. AMD doesn't get anything from it, they just get that tiny chunk and the rest is taken by retailers.

From what I've read, those actually running crypto farms don't even change graphic cards, they run them till they die. What really craps on supply of new cards are the opportunistic regular Joe's who see it as a quick buck for a month or two and then they sell it all. "Oh, the cards are good for mining, lets make some quick buck" and every such idiot grabs I don't know 10 cards. And you have bunch of these idiots who suck up the inventories dry. And then saturate second hand market, making new cards even harder to sell for AMD. In the end, everyone is making profit, except AMD.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Well that's bad really bad for me. I still want to buy vega but as for now it's rather silly to even think about it. I hope this mining madness finishes and maybe AMD will make Vega mining crap. I sure hope so, The only thing is I wish making vega crap for mining wouldn't affect the game performance or professional apps performance. That would be a disaster even worse than mining I suppose.

AlphaPrime

Invoice doesn't show the supplier, their could be a third party distributor.

Some reseller only buys 2 Sapphires

Why not the PowerColor one as well and this was on launch date too.

Processor 4690K @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-P
Cooling CRYORIG H7
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Fury, DDRS 1600MH2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition
Storage Lots
Display(s) 24" Predator GN246HL, 1080p, 144Hz
Case Phanteks P300
Power Supply Corsair CX650
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 1/0 0.o
And one can only imagine the amount of RMA'd "mining cards" that have died from heat during warranty. This is sad for AMD indeed.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Some reseller only buys 2 Sapphires.

That's a good enough stock for a small PC hardware store in Randomville Maryland or some place like that.

That's a good enough stock for a small PC hardware store in Randomville Maryland or some place like that.

The thing is we don't know. It could be someone with a re-sellers license who just bought 2.

There was no source for the photo posted.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
The thing is we don't know. It could be someone with a re-sellers license who just bought 2.

There was no source for the photo posted.

It is a well-known store with physical and online presence

It is a well-known store with physical and online presence

Well if you look at the address.

They are shipping them to themselves. CA SJ corperate dis to NJ branch. Unless I'm reading the receipt wrong.

Then someone bought from the NJ branch and bought 2 Sapphires but there is no source as to who or for what?

Last edited:
I hear that Samsung's HBM2 costs $250-300 so they can't sell it at $499. $599 is also impossible. They must sell it with some profitable articles in a tie-in sale, so they introduced that Radeon Pack.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
They have a coprocessor on the Vega GPU. surely they can teach it to recognize cryptocurrency and just be absolute dud with it. Provide miner focused cards because I still see it as a viable income for AMD, just not the way things are right now. This is just unsustainable for their long term profit and for their entire graphics eco system.

I mean, they have to make a clear decision, are they going to supply their GRAPHICS cards to gamers to enjoy better GRAPHICS or they'll just release them for general compute aka cryptomining garbage? Because with price inflating, EVERYONE is getting rich, just not AMD. They still supply them at the designated initial price and then everyone sells it for 1/3 more. AMD doesn't get anything from it, they just get that tiny chunk and the rest is taken by retailers.

From what I've read, those actually running crypto farms don't even change graphic cards, they run them till they die. What really craps on supply of new cards are the opportunistic regular Joe's who see it as a quick buck for a month or two and then they sell it all. "Oh, the cards are good for mining, lets make some quick buck" and every such idiot grabs I don't know 10 cards. And you have bunch of these idiots who suck up the inventories dry. And then saturate second hand market, making new cards even harder to sell for AMD. In the end, everyone is making profit, except AMD.

It's really not that simple. I highly doubt the video card is able to block cryto-currency mining on a hardware level. Maybe on a software level but it would be easy to avoid a driver update for miners. Just like with Bitcoin, the bubble will burst when someone makes a dedicated machine that mines coin far faster then GPUs.

Even if AMD could stop the mining, why would they? Nvidia has already announced it's ambitions for mining. Are you saying AMD should just give Nvidia free money?

AMD is still making money on the sale of graphics cards either way. The only difference is that miners don't contribute to the AMD brand and they don't represent a future sale. They will buy whatever works for them.

If you ask me, the one thing AMD should have done a long time ago is make operating the cards 24/7 void the warranty. It is easy to tell a card has been mined to death and the cost of replacements for miners is very costly for card partners. Consumer level cards were never designed to be run all day every day.

Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard ASUS PROArt Z690 Creator WiFi
Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 280
Memory Kingston 32GB DDR5 @ 6200 MT/s
Video Card(s) Palit RTX3070 GamingPRO
Storage TrueNAS CORE
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply SEASONIC CONNECT 750W
AMD can go suck it
they made their own bed, now sleep in it! I won't shed any tears

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
to add more salt to the wounds, the Radeon Pack will no longer be available for gamers or consumers. So much for promoting FreeSync & RyZen systems with a compelling package when there's not enough supply to go around.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
to add more salt to the wounds, the Radeon Pack will no longer be available for gamers or consumers. So much for promoting FreeSync & RyZen systems with a compelling package when there's not enough supply to go around.
For me it is still going or at least I hope it will be going. Although I will have to wait a bit longer for the purchase. I hope not too long though. Maybe AMD should get focus on a mining market separately. design cards only for mining. That I think would make sense and gaming market would get back to normal.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Disabling stuff on a card is just wrong IMO.

Some people want a flexible card that they can game/work/mine or whatever they want with it.

There is another option AMD can try, in our opinion. It can re-launch RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 as new SKUs which come with crippled cypto-currency mining abilities (a special BIOS or something driver-level, or even something at the silicon-level), and discontinue the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64.

That's the dumbest idea I've heard this year lol.

Firstly, Vega 64/56 are already two of the worst cards going for mining performance compared to price and power consumption. Secondly, it's not miners buying them it's gamers and professional users. Thirdly, crippling the cards compute performance would make it useless for anything but games, so there go the professional sales that are currently keeping the ship afloat (and there's no guarantee that would drive those sales to the Vega FE and not the Titan).

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
There is another option AMD can try, in our opinion. It can re-launch RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 as new SKUs which come with crippled cypto-currency mining abilities (a special BIOS or something driver-level, or even something at the silicon-level), and discontinue the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. The new SKUs could be clearly advertised as not being meant for crypto-currency mining (so as to deter false-marketing lawsuits). This is important for AMD, because the Radeon brand is under threat.

Here we go again. Blame everything on miners, regardless of whether it's based on facts or not.
I think my thoughts can be perfectly described by this quote from TweakTown:

Vega GPUs aren't being gobbled up by miners because the Ethereum mining performance is abysmal when you take into consideration the mammoth power consumption, heat output, and noise. Vega GPUs are being gobbled up by Hollywood, but the smoke and mirrors of blame are being used perfectly, where miners are getting all of the blame.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58843/hollywood-miners-gobbling-up-radeon-rx-vega-supply/index.html

The reason why Vega prices are so high and supply is so low, is all 100% AMDs own fault:
* They've delayed Vega "to ensure that the supply is there, and miners don't disrupt it"
* They've promised an MSRP of $399/$499, so that "it stays affordable for normal people"
* They failed to deliver the promised supply, which got the entire supply chain very nervous
* The supply chain bumped prices at every step along the way, because they know Vega supply is very short. They cannot commit to smaller margins at higher volume, because there is no volume!

In my country there are zero Vega cards in stores right now. Our largest online electronics retailer haven't even bothered to list Vega cards on their website, even though RX400/500 series and GTX10 series were listed ahead of time and were in stock at release date. That's the same greedy store, which was not afraid of selling a regular GTX1080 (not FE and not Ti) for over $1000 not too long ago.

Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
maybe, but still not a viable way to make some profit in the long run if they keep running into stock shortages...

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
"interesting price-performance ratios at $499 for the RX Vega 64 and $399 for the RX Vega 56" - that is FALSE.
and also false is "399$" and "499$" - none of Vegas ever seen that price tag. so stop saying that Vega in ideal conditions is comeptitive or decent product...
RIP Vega for good. I hope Amd gets their $ from miners so they can invest in next gen and much more decent architecture.

System Name Dark Sith Lord / Fat Boy
Processor AMD Ryzen7 2700X / AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming / Gigabyte 990XA UD3 R5
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Turbo LED (2x120mm in push-pull) / Coolermaster HyperX (2x120mm in push-pull)
Memory 2x8gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200MHz / 4x4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb / Gainward GTX 950 2gb
Storage Crucial P1 NVMe 1tb, 2x Barracuda 2TB, 1x IronWolf NAS 2TB / Samsung 840 Evo 500gb + Samsung F1 1tb
Display(s) BenQ GL2450 24'' / Samsung Syncmaster 20'' 2043nw
Case CM HAF 932 (CM 200mm [Red Led] front & side intake, Shark Evil Black 140mm exhaust) / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 on Creative Inspire S2 2.1 / Realtek 889 on Creative SBS Vivid 60 2.0
Power Supply EVGA Supernova B2 750w / Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110 / Sharkoon Light² 100
Keyboard Bloody B975 (LK brown optical switches) / Philips SPK84 (blue switches) with silicone o'rings mod
Software Win10 Pro x64 / Win7 Ultimate x64
It is ridiculus to even claim this is a typical invoice with retailer's price, including discount for reselling.
I just don't buy it. If this is the case, then nobody can make profit out of them, and there is no reason for a retailer to stock the card at the first place.

It is ridiculus to even claim this is a typical invoice with retailer's price, including discount for reselling.
I just don't buy it. If this is the case, then nobody can make profit out of them, and there is no reason for a retailer to stock the card at the first place.
Fake news? Looks like a single disgruntled retailer or reseller to me :rolleyes:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Somehow I get the sense Vega news is getting the status of any Trump-related news article. You read it, you smirk or shrug for a second and move on.

now the most compelling GPUs for newbie builders & gamers are Nvidia since stocks for all the GTX 10 Series range are back to normal. Over here, stocks for them are in abundance whereas AMD ones are still severely limited to RX570 & RX580.

Last edited: