• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality Push to Include Steam Support, Halo VR

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
In what is possibly one of the most mouth-watering Microsoft reports as of late for this particular TechPowerUp news editor, it seems that Microsoft is making all the right strides towards bringing its Mixed Reality push to mainstream, popular support. Microsoft seems to have seen the error in its ways towards their usual walled-garden approach, and has announced that their Windows Mixed Reality initiative will see its Mixed/Vitual Reality headsets supporting Steam VR games. This means third-party support for yet another VR hardware piece, and something that Microsoft sorely needed, since adoption of its still upcoming platform wasn't showing much pulse.

But most important than all that (you are allowed to disagree), is that Microsoft is seemingly tapping its first-party studios to produce VR content for its Mixed Reality platform. Case in point, 343 Industries and the Halo franchise. Whether this means VR-only experiences or actual VR-enabled full fledged, numbered Halo games remains to be seen - only Microsoft and 343 know the answer to that. Though it's also likely none of the parts knows much about that at this point in time either; as it seems, and as Microsoft said on their blog post announcing these features, "we are working with 343 Industries to bring future Halo experiences into mixed reality. We are not providing specifics right now, but it is going to be a lot of fun to work with them."

Given the nature of Microsoft's push towards Mixed Reality, which places it upon hardware partners to come up with actual products that adhere to Microsoft's standards and adoption requirements, could see a democratization of VR and Mixed Reality for the masses. Even in the wake of Oculus Rift's and HTC Vive's price-cuts in recent times, Microsoft partners' MR headsets should still come in at lower price-tags, with the added bonus of not needing a room-scale setup for motion tracking due to 6 DoF controllers, unlike the solutions already on the market. Microsoft said that "A variety of Windows Mixed Reality headsets and motion controllers will be available this holiday from HP, Lenovo, Dell, and Acer. Headset and motion controller bundles will start as low as $399 and will be compatible with existing and new PC models starting at $499."

Microsoft has also created two separate tiers of PCs for WMR (Windows Mixed Reality) support; for now, all we know is these are only separated by the framerate they can support with any given content. "Windows Mixed Reality PCs" should make use of integrated graphics and be able to handle 60 FPS, whereas "Windows Mixed Reality Ultra PCs" should make use of discrete graphics processing units and deliver 90 FPS.

Regarding Steam support, Microsoft said that "Steam content will also run on Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Virtual reality enthusiasts know that Steam is a great place to enjoy cutting edge immersive experiences.", which makes it seem as if Steam VR content will be available on Microsoft headsets, and not just a 3D pop-up of what's being rendered.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Sounds promising.

It's good to see Microsoft getting in on the VR market and lowering prices with some new tech. HTC Vive and Oculus Rift likely will provide a better experience in this generation but next gen may be different.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
The fact this won't need a bunch of IR blasters set up around your room/desk makes this quite a tantalizing offer. Looking forward to seeing reviews of the production units and how well it can still motion track without external points of reference.

If it's using any similar tech to HoloLens it should track very well - of all the complaints I've read about that developer unit, motion tracking and head tracking was absolutely not one of them.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
The fact this won't need a bunch of IR blasters set up around your room/desk makes this quite a tantalizing offer. Looking forward to seeing reviews of the production units and how well it can still motion track without external points of reference.

If it's using any similar tech to HoloLens it should track very well - of all the complaints I've read about that developer unit, motion tracking and head tracking was absolutely not one of them.

My personal gripe is more with being tethered to the pc than the external sensors. I do agree that removing the need for sensors is nice, but the cable running from my Rift to the PC bothers me more and more the longer I own/use it. At least with the sensors (in my case anyway) they can be tucked back in the room corners and generally out of the way, though there is nothing that can really be done about the tether.

This is where HoloLens really shines as you don't have external sensors or a tether and the tracking works very well, however, I find the draw backs to that device to be massive in comparison to any other HMD-- which is a really bad FOV horizontal and veritcal (literally about the size of a deck of cards held 6-8 inches away from your face) and the limited amount of processing power built in only lets you have the most basic of graphic overlays. It's early days though and the HoloLens dev kit has been around a while, which makes the components a little dated at the moment.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
VR is never going to take off.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
never say never. The ability to have a 360 degree screen is amazing for work.

maybe in a decade. it's just too bulky and expensive right now to play job simulators... not to mention Palmer Luckey and John Carmack shenanigans.

this Halo experience Microsoft talks about is going to be so on rails.. Look to the left, Look to the right Chief lol

Last edited:
Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
VR is never going to take off.
In some ways it already has taken off. Staying aloft is another thing. That is to say there is a difference between a "has-been" and a "never-was" and at this point I don't thik VR is in the "never-was" category.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

I doubt it. And I really, really, relly hope Hololens doesn't end up as yet another promising MS concept they never followed up on. Seriously, they have so many great things they jist dropped.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I doubt it. And I really, really, relly hope Hololens doesn't end up as yet another promising MS concept they never followed up on. Seriously, they have so many great things they jist dropped.

I agree,...

Microsoft Media Center was IMO the best HTPC software of its kind. After reaching a level of excellence and a dearth of commercial competition it was dropped. Worse, Microsoft actively tried to destroy it. I say this because not supporting Media Center in Windows 10 is one thing but we now know that Media Center would work perfectly well in Windows 10 due to the Media Center Windows 10 initiative.

So what we have is Microsoft actively removing preinstalled software from Windows 7 / 8 systems upgrading to Windows 10 even though there was no legitimate reason to do so.

Microsoft should have allowed systems with Media Center to keep it but simply not support it in Windows 10, not remove it or actively try to disable it.