• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Why don't you put it to the test? Delid some Ryzens and replace the solder with TIM similar to Intel's.
Honestly? It's simply not worth the effort to me.

Like, I get hardware for free, yet still buy my favorite items because I want a warranty. I'm not the one disillusioned by hype. Everyone can really think what they want, but it's really not even worth my time to do reviews if people are so easily influenced by BS. Like why bother? Everyone will lthink whatever suits them, and they have every right to.. so who am I to try to correct anyone?

I will personally come find you and tie you down in a gaming chair to make you continue writing motherboard reviews :D

Will you tell me what to write too? Whisper sweet nothings into my ear, deary....

Honestly? It's simply not worth the effort to me.

Like, I get hardware for free, yet still buy my favorite items because I want a warranty. I'm not the one disillusioned by hype. Everyone can really think what they want, but it's really not even worth my time to do reviews if people are so easily influenced by BS. Like why bother? Everyone will lthink whatever suits them, and they have every right to.. so who am I to try to correct anyone?
It would be an interesting project, that, unfortunately, only a reviewer or someone with a lot of disposable income would be able to tackle due to the difficulty. I was thinking more about proving yourself right (or not) rather than changing the minds of others. You are of the opinion that AMD needs solder, while Intel does not after all.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You are of the opinion that AMD needs solder, while Intel does not after all.
Exactly. And since I am a reviewer, I do have extra CPUs to play with, too, but, man... why go to those lengths to show what's already obvious? I am pretty much the only review that measures CPU-only power consumption. So I see clearly what's going on with these CPUs, and the power they use, and how that affects the temperatures they run at, and I do feel that using full system power to try to see these sorts of things isn't the correct approach, nevermind it only takes spending $100 for a good clamp-on meter for the EPS connector, and that expense is a write-off for someone that does reviews... completely blows me away when people review CPUs and use full system power like it's actually relevant.

But maybe I'm just a overconfident snob. Anything is possible. :p

Exactly. And since I am a reviewer, I do have extra CPUs to play with, too, but, man... why go to those lengths to show what's already obvious?
Unfortunately, to a lot of people, it is not that obvious, obviously. For me, it would be something fun to read that might actually spark an actual debate rather than this back and forth we have going on. At any rate, I understand why one wouldn't commit to a difficult pet project as this.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Because as he said, its obvious. We all know solder is better, it has been tested and proven. Why would anyone waste the time to prove something that is already known?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
The only reason we do this, is because you simply CANT delid a Ryzen to see what headroom you can create on that chip in the first place. Think on that for abit.

Actaully, you can. It's even been done. The reason it's not common is it a.) offers no thermal benefit and b.) is hard as heck to do and dangerous.

Sadly though, you'll find many of those cars that are priced that high, do have many such "inferior" parts. Especially in the interior. Once again car analogy fails to meet the needs for the PC market.

BTW, you might not be able to buy pilot sport cup 2 tires at kmart, but those that have money... got it by not spending it on silly things like that in the first place. Most people that buy those cars don't buy them to drive them these days; they are purely for investment. In other words, you buy them to sell them later, at a higher price. You can't do that with PCs... only on launches when supply is limited... but then it gets unlimited. Super and Hyper cars never get "unlimited" in numbers, which is why such analogies fail.

Okay, car guy to car guy, what parts do you think are inferior? Interior materials are subjective in terms of what is inferior and what isn't. A super/hypercar is going to need a no frills interior for the most part, with a lot of kevlar and carbon fiber, perhaps some aircraft grade aluminum. Certainly won't be as luxurious either. As far as investment goes, cars are generally a bad investment all together, even a new super car will not hold its value. Older cars(antiques) will do a lot better on return after owning them another 20 or so years. But anyhow...

80C for a CPU under load is no problem whatsoever. 90-95, we'd be talking, but generally CPUs are perfectly happy at temps like that. We've become spoiled by the efficient, small CPUs of late. A decade ago, keeping an OC'd CPU below 90 degrees was impressive. Keeping a 300+W monster at 80 still is.

80c doesn't leave much headroom though. If your processor is running at 80c stock clocks you can pretty much forget about any overclocking.

Meh, don't wanna burn hundreds of dollar just for 'TIM' and do your own risk because you're ENTHUSIAST BS and you should delid words ffs !

What in the world are you trying to say? Can someone translate? Lol...

I can't even remember how many Intel has shown us the middle finger this year.. let's see..

1. Those stupid 7600K/7700K remakes on LGA2066
2. No solder on those LCC 2066 SKL-X processors
3. "microtransactions" on X299
4. Coffee Lakes not compatible with 100/200 series motherboards
5. SKL-X HCC's also not soldered

Five "fuck you consumers" so far in 2017, I'm impressed and not in a good way.

1. Everyone does 'remakes'
2. Yeah, kind of lame
3. Don't pay anything? Just like games, there's nobody holding a gun for your head making you purchase anything.
4. OH NO MY CPU isn't compatible with X,Y or Z motherboard!! Welcome to computers buddy.
5. Solder it yourself :D

Complains about intel shoving it up our rears, then bends over? How can you have that much conviction on the subject and still buy one?

I read this 3 page comment and have concluded this user is really annoying. There is no reason to refer to everyone that buys product "A" as an idiot. Do you have proof Intel applies "Toothpaste"? After application of this "toothpaste" did the factory "call it a day"? And what is "coz it's ze"? Is that some german reference? Do you have any data supporting purchase of a HEDT platform was based on solder as a primary reason for purchase? That all just sounds like kid stuff.

Well, it's either toothpaste or peanut butter. Most claim it was the actual sealant that is the problem but some claims out there that the paste looks really bad under those lids. I may see for myself on Sunday, depends on how my automotive project goes Saturday if I have time to switch from Mr. Mechanic to computer geek.

And you just sound like someone who has nothing of value to say other than dragging someone elses comment around. Because you had nothing of value to say in the first place. Also, context and synonyms are entirely foreign concepts to you...

Dude, I used to enjoy reading your posts, I used to thank most of them. Then a lot of things started happening with Vega and you just seemed to have changed and gone off the deep end. Not sure why but that's how it seems.

Because I don't want to change platform? And like I said, I'm going to delid this right when I get a tool for rent from someone, so the TIM on this isn't a problem.

I understand that my 250eur CPU has crappy TIM under the IHS, but a 2000eur enthusiast HEDT CPU?

If you don't want to change platform then don't, simple as that, it has always been as simple as that. There's no force making you change from one processor or board to another.

This whole "TIM" issue is just nonsense. Of all the "issues" with X299, this would have to be a total non-issue. How many are going to do overlocking at this extreme level?
This is even more ridiculous than people boycotting X299 because of "missing" PCIe lanes they don't even need.

So, is this really a problem for you? These things still clocks way beyond anything from AMD.

It's not nonsense. It can be the difference between running cool or hot, overclocking 500mhz instead of 200mhz, I don't know. It's not nonsense though. As I'm sure you know, lots of people have gotten huge increases in performance just by delidding and applying new paste and resealing their CPU.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Not only it can be a better solution , it is a better solution. Always will be. Even if you get no extra OC headroom it is still an advantage to have a chip that can be cooled more efficiently. That's my whole point , I am not talking toward a specific product even though I used some as examples.
Has anyone considered the fact with a soldered heat spreader, you're stuck with what you get; but with TIM, you always have the option to delid and replace factory TIM with liquid metal, which works as well as solder, also allows you to thin out the silicon glue, getting the heat spreader closer to the die, which is where you get the most advantage. The only caveat is that you might have to redo the liquid metal every 3 or 4 years if it degrades (from extreme OCs). The soldered ones can also degrade over time, and sometimes affect flatness of the heat spreader, but you can't fix them.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Okay, car guy to car guy, what parts do you think are inferior? Interior materials are subjective in terms of what is inferior and what isn't.
Switches, lighting fixtures, display screens (not on dash), the electronics in general, I guess. Many more affordable cars do it better. I did put "inferior" in quotes for a reason though... they are adequate, like the TIM under Intel's current CPUs.

Like, I see the power drawn though these chips and it amazes me how much they have been able to handle at times with normal cooling... Like, I really do feel Intel is doing a great job. I think AMD is doing a great job too, though. I don't expect AMD to match Intel in anything, even performance, though, so my perspective on much of this isn't going to be like what most think. At the same time, I do maybe have more info direct from the people that make these products, so maybe that's why I feel differently? I'm not sure. Like, I can look at a review on another site, see the stuff that some companies send asking we cover, and it makes me laugh. I toss those documents in the trash, and do my own thing. Just like I'm tossing in the trash any ideas that there are "issues" with the X299 platform.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
1. Everyone does 'remakes'
2. Yeah, kind of lame
3. Don't pay anything? Just like games, there's nobody holding a gun for your head making you purchase anything.
4. OH NO MY CPU isn't compatible with X,Y or Z motherboard!! Welcome to computers buddy.
5. Solder it yourself :D

If you don't want to change platform then don't, simple as that, it has always been as simple as that. There's no force making you change from one processor or board to another.
Yeah but those first Coffee Lake chipsets are just rebrands since they have the same functionality, so that's another "fuck you" from Intel, since they've could have kept the compatibility.

Also the naming of the socket is stupid. Before it hasn't been a problem to snip out few pins or add them, so why it just couldn't be LGA1152 for example.

Intel has never really carried more than two generations of chipsets. Nothing new. Also, most people arent upgrading from a generation or two of cpus behind. You sont expect 3 generations of cpus to work on the same board, do you? By that time, like 5 years, you lose out on other things... like m.2 pcie 4x and otjer chipset improvements.

Also, there are drop in upgrades for each set of chipsets. I mean, negligible/incremental upgrades, sure, but still.

Its probably to save money. It will be keyed, and there are notes on packaging as far as what chipset its compatible with. It could be easier, sure. I see a lot of crying over spilled milk to be honest. It just never was and never will be that kind of world. The only reason amd never did it was because its likely cheaper for them than seveloping incremental upgrades. Remember amd was lacking pcie 3.0 outside of a board or two or something until zen. Fast m.2... not without a pcie add on card. There are reasons for incremental updates besides greed. ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone considered the fact with a soldered heat spreader, you're stuck with what you get; but with TIM, you always have the option to delid and replace factory TIM with liquid metal, which works as well as solder, also allows you to thin out the silicon glue, getting the heat spreader closer to the die, which is where you get the most advantage. The only caveat is that you might have to redo the liquid metal every 3 or 4 years if it degrades (from extreme OCs). The soldered ones can also degrade over time, and sometimes affect flatness of the heat spreader, but you can't fix them.
Good point, however by the time that solder would wear out you're probably a few generations into new builds anyways.

Switches, lighting fixtures, display screens (not on dash), the electronics in general, I guess. Many more affordable cars do it better. I did put "inferior" in quotes for a reason though... they are adequate, like the TIM under Intel's current CPUs.

Like, I see the power drawn though these chips and it amazes me how much they have been able to handle at times with normal cooling... Like, I really do feel Intel is doing a great job. I think AMD is doing a great job too, though. I don't expect AMD to match Intel in anything, even performance, though, so my perspective on much of this isn't going to be like what most think. At the same time, I do maybe have more info direct from the people that make these products, so maybe that's why I feel differently? I'm not sure. Like, I can look at a review on another site, see the stuff that some companies send asking we cover, and it makes me laugh. I toss those documents in the trash, and do my own thing. Just like I'm tossing in the trash any ideas that there are "issues" with the X299 platform.

Well, in some things I prefer the minimum , my 1989 Honda CRX has no interior at all other than dash and gauges, should be making over 600 horsepower at the wheels too, Dyno tuning tomorrow or Friday, yay. On the other hand I like nice car audio systems and navigation too.

Yeah but those first Coffee Lake chipsets are just rebrands since they have the same functionality, so that's another "fuck you" from Intel, since they've could have kept the compatibility.

Also the naming of the socket is stupid. Before it hasn't been a problem to snip out few pins or add them, so why it just couldn't be LGA1152 for example.

I understand where you're coming from but it's nothing new, they have been pushing new platforms on us for a long time. Got the top of the line board and processor? New platform released . Feelsbadman.jpg

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Got the top of the line board and processor? New platform released . Feelsbadman.jpg
Depends on how you look at it. Your way is conditioned by a lifetime of admen playing on your love of the latest/fastest/coolest stuff (a fate we all suffer from to some degree). My thinking is to wait for a platform to mature, to get the most reliable/stable hardware, often right before the new platform debuts, so as to get more choice of proven boards and lowest prices. The new stuff is always coming, so the feeling that you have the best is always fleeting. It's nice when it happens, but constantly chasing it is a mistake, or a hobby for bored rich kids with trust funds. Take the long view and you'll enjoy your stuff more. Stop feeling bad about something you knew would happen before you even bought it.

@Th3pwn3r
Well, then enjoy garbage overpriced products because no one is apparently allowed to be critical when appropriate. Usage of TIM on a freaking 1000€ CPU is just an absolutely unforgivable thing worthy of EVERY criticism. The situation with RX Vega was not even nearly this bad or worthy of criticism. All I was saying the entire time is, LETS WAIT FOR THE REVIEWS, don't piss on it in advance without any data. When cards were placed on the desk and revealed with reviews, Vega is what it is. You either take it for the price it has or you don't. There is no secret catch there, because for what it is, it is done properly. Unlike when you buy a freaking 1000€ CPU and later realize they use cheap goo instead of proper solder on IHS. That's the reason why I'm not pissing all over Vega and everyone sees it as me being a massive AMD fanboy. Maybe I haven't changed, but the products have. Intel has become a bunch of lazy motherf**kers because they were resting on laurels of past success for too long. And they are trying to continue doing that by increasing THEIR margins on YOUR expense. AMD forced them to lower their prices and instead of doing it properly, they'll skimp on freaking IHS materials. ON YOUR BLOODY EXPENSE. But hey, if you don't see that, go on and buy such Intel CPU. All you're telling them with this is "GO AHEAD GREEDY LAZY INTEL, I DON'T MIND IT". AMD screwed up with Bulldozer, but for what it was, they were still doing it properly. They weren't screwing around cutting bits from it to increase margins. That's why I didn't have problem with it either back then. Just like with RX Vega. You either take it or you don't. There was no secret catch there either. It was what it was. Where 1000€ CPU with some goo where you'd expect top notch components just "isn't what it is". I've criticized it on lower end products as well, but those are cheap(er) for a reason and on a CPU with 2 cores, it quite frankly doesn't even matter. But when you have 8 cores with 16 threads pumping out tons of heat, you want the very best. And goo just isn't. What I noticed is that people apparently entirely forgot how to read and understand. Relevancy of criticism and context is something no one seems to understand anymore. It's the whole paragraph above this line and all my criticisms in the last several weeks or few months...

But if this is the reason you don't want to read my posts anymore, then so be it. It'll be your loss, not mine, quite frankly.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I think the point @cadaveca is making but, y'all seem to have missed it is that AMD uses solder because it HAS TO. Intel doesn't because it's chips DON'T HAVE TO. Take away from that what you will but, his second point is with todays modern CPUs overclocking is redundant and unnecessary. Intel to spend extra on solder so less that 1% of its market wont bitch on a forum is bad business sense. Almost as bad as lying to reviewers about their real MSRP.......(looking at you AMD). Maybe AMD engineers can find a second job trolling tech sites trying to justify their poor job performance.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
I understand where you're coming from but it's nothing new, they have been pushing new platforms on us for a long time. Got the top of the line board and processor? New platform released . Feelsbadman.jpg
Well, I installed a 7600K for my Z170 board yesterday so there's no reason for me to upgrade for a couple of years. :toast:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Weird... another intel chipset that works with 2 generations... :)
Pfft Im still rocking a 2600k which which my mobo was good all the way up to the intel 3770k. Two generations?! Who would figure?

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
It's nice when it happens, but constantly chasing it is a mistake, or a hobby for bored rich kids with trust funds.
That's why when I build a system I try to make it last a long time. I've been on my current system for close to five years and when I did build it I spent about $800 at the time. $800 over five years is $160 a year which isn't bad at all when it comes to spreading the cost out. I plan on spending about double that this time around because it'll be a complete system rebuild as versus just swapping out parts. New case, new power supply, new SSD, new monitor, etc. Yeah, it's going to cost a bit more this time but it'll be worth it in the end.

Your way is conditioned by a lifetime of admen playing on your love of the latest/fastest/coolest stuff (a fate we all suffer from to some degree).
If you spread it out over four or five years it won't feel quite so bad and the generational improvements will actually be worth it.

todays modern CPUs overclocking is redundant and unnecessary.
I think what people don't take into account is that years ago we didn't need such extremely high clock speeds so Intel never sold their chips running at those high clock speeds. The so-called "huge" overclocking headroom that people oh so love to talk about here on this site existed quite simply because Intel was actually selling their chips at a far slower speed than they needed to because well... we didn't need those speeds back then. The huge overclocking headroom of the chips of yesteryear were because those chips actually could run at those speeds, they were just artificially ran at slower speeds. Fast forward to today and we need those high clock speeds so now Intel chips are being sold already clocked at a point where they're already running damn near the razor's edge. Yes, we have less overclocking headroom (this is true) but that's only because they're already running near the edge at stock.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Weird... another intel chipset that works with 2 generations... :)
But as said, Z370 has the "Kaby Lake" functions, and the "real new" chipset arrives later. So there's not a good reason why Coffee wouldn't work on 100/200 chipsets.

And? Its a money maker...its what they do. Two gens on 2 chipsets, moving along to the next.

Nothing new.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But as said, Z370 has the "Kaby Lake" functions, and the "real new" chipset arrives later. So there's not a good reason why Coffee wouldn't work on 100/200 chipsets.
Actually, there IS a good reason... supplying power to 6 cores instead of 4 requires a different electrical pinout for the socket. It's not that current chipset is incompatible... it's the socket itself that is. You can't make circuits magically re-form themselves; at least, not yet.

Well, I installed a 7600K for my Z170 board yesterday so there's no reason for me to upgrade for a couple of years. :toast:

Personally I think most of us should be able to afford a new build every year easily. That being said I just keep my machines together and just get all new stuff.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Actually, there IS a good reason... supplying power to 6 cores instead of 4 requires a different electrical pinout for the socket. It's not that current chipset is incompatible... it's the socket itself that is. You can't make circuits magically re-form themselves; at least, not yet.
Nice to see logic and a genuinely clear reason for it. It really is easy to bash Intel with their constant socket/chipset changes but your answer reasonably justifies it.