• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Skylake-X HCC CPU Delidded by Der8auer, also not Soldered

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I have have always been into overclocking from my very first modern PC of course Sandy Bridge was the "Golden Age" but when I replaced my 2600K that ran 4.6 it's whole life(and still does as I sent it to a friend in need)with my current 4790K I just don't even feel the need to anymore. It's already at 4.4 even the best chips might get 4.7 I can't justify the effort anymore(Yeah it's still pretty "simple" to do)especially for such a small gain. Sure I wish it wasn't using TIM(tho it was said to be "better" TIM)I just don't see the need anymore. So I'm no longer in the 1%. What I have always wondered as it was Devil's Canyon they made claims of using better TIM well has every processor since been using that TIM or was it just a one time thing for DC and the rest use the bog standard stuff. I mean I hope at least they would with the HEDT if they have stopped soldering those as well.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
What I have always wondered as it was Devil's Canyon they made claims of using better TIM well has every processor since been using that TIM or was it just a one time thing for DC and the rest use the bog standard stuff. I mean I hope at least they would with the HEDT if they have stopped soldering those as well.
Ah yes Intel Corp.’s NGPTIM next-generation polymer thermal interface material plus revamped power supply circuity was suppose to lead to improved overclocking.

One sample i5 4690K

Source for graphs: KitGuru

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Ah yes Intel Corp.’s NGPTIM next-generation polymer thermal interface material plus revamped power supply circuity was suppose to lead to improved overclocking.

One sample i5 4690K

Yeah that is kinda what I figured. It was just a"minor effort" after the 4770K issues. I'm sure they've gone back to whatever they were buying in 45gallon drums for everything...I mean mine is idling at 27C and never passes 60C under load so it's not "terrible" but as I said I'm not pushing it either. It's just sad that it's really nothing cost wise to have not continued using superior solder at least on their HEDT chips...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That's an affect (no, not a typo) of the mentality represented by users that do so, that new users that start into this "overclocking" hobby adopt. I mean, after all, that's what overclocking really used to be, before it was turned into a selling point. And because it's an affect (again, not a typo), it might not be the actual right approach. So when it was turned into a selling point, this affect was considered, and now we have things like every single multiplier, PER CORE of a CPU, already having a pre-programmed VID.

And while you may think Intel sells "K" SKU CPUs for overclocking, again, this is an affect of the community. "K" SKUs are ALREADY OC'ed for you. The power and cooling needs are increased already, and that should have been the first sign that THAT is what Intel is supporting... they have pre-OC'd the "K" SKUs for you. That's why many of these chips come without a cooler... you need to buy better than what Intel provides with the other chips, and the power increases considerably 65W - 95W is a near 50% increase in power consumed.

Unfortunately, marketing and reviewers have portrayed this differently than what it really is, but the truth of the matter is printed right on the box. Sure, you do also get "unlocked" multipliers, but do keep in mind that those multis already have VIDs programmed. If Intel truly wanted you to OC as you'd like to define it, they'd not have to waste their time doing things like programming the multipliers above stock with VIDs.

^This.

Its the same everywhere. Intel has been clock bumping the same junk for years now, and they stick a K on some of their chips to cater to a small percent of the market that wants to tinker with it - and they let them pay a premium for it which, combined with the required cooling solution, makes the net perf/dollar metric worse than any of their non-K options - the only gain you can extract is absolute performance. Nvidia: GPU Boost 3.0 eats almost all the headroom that's left in there at a given power target - its so horribly efficient at it, that it even has a positive effect on the perf/watt, and the AIBs then push the base clock a bit further, and we PAY for that OC being done for us.

Its so ironic really, TIM is the least of our problems when it comes to overclocking. Especially because those that really want the last 1% of performance are doing the delid anyway, solving the problem themselves. The rest of the world just wants someone else to do the work for them.

The whole thing is blown way out of proportion.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Welcome to the 1%...

As we said, most dont care. Its not a big deal. I like to push things to the limit and this frankly doesnt bother me. I mean, what is 200 mhz more IF IM LUCKY (we went over it at this end of overclocking you arent gaining much..even gave my results).

Again, even with the 'not optimal tim' its still overclocking way further than the competition.

I also agree it has very lite to do with the upgrade cycle by gaining 200 mhz with better TIM. Seriously, 200 mhz isnt going to let you keep your processor for much longer...
Only real difference could be between a processor being a bottleneck or not, depends on which one we're talking about. 200mhz is a huge deal for a Pentium III

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
200 Mhz doesn't make a PIII playable today. Maybe it did then, but, well, this is now. :)

200 Mhz doesn't make a PIII playable today. Maybe it did then, but, well, this is now. :)
That's the point, 200mhz won't make or break anything. It's more for bragging rights.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
80c doesn't leave much headroom though. If your processor is running at 80c stock clocks you can pretty much forget about any overclocking.
Considering those temps were claimed for a 10-core system running at 4.5GHz on all cores, I doubt there's much room for overclocking left at all, no matter what creates the bottleneck. As such, 80C is perfectly acceptable - I'd say it's pretty damn good. And it sure isn't going to damage anything (although voltage might, of course, but that's another story entirely).

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
And while you may think Intel sells "K" SKU CPUs for overclocking, again, this is an affect of the community. "K" SKUs are ALREADY OC'ed for you. The power and cooling needs are increased already, and that should have been the first sign that THAT is what Intel is supporting... they have pre-OC'd the "K" SKUs for you.
Yep. You basically said what I said earlier in this thread. The K chips are basically already pushed to the limits at the factory aka pre-overclocked.

Yep. You basically said what I said earlier in this thread. The K chips are basically already pushed to the limits at the factory aka pre-overclocked.
But they arent... we said that. :)

They easily reach past their boost and many past 5ghz (7700k/7740k) with good cooling. AMD doesnt get past their own boost. If intel is at the limit, you must feel amd is past its limit?

7900x will overclock 1 ghz and then some...

That's the point, 200mhz won't make or break anything. It's more for bragging rights.
Its my point as well...not sure why you brought the p3 up if you agreed. Seemed contrary.

Edit: i get you now... yeah. My reply to that is simply anyone can find a rare use case to disprove anything. :)

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I guess that we have a different idea what limits are. The K chips are pushed to what I would call "sane" limits. If you take a K chip and further overclock it you generally need far better cooling than your average person would ever think of putting into their rigs.

I guess we do :). Now that it is clearly defined, I still wonder what you think AMD's chips are. ;)

Seems we also have a different definition of what 'far better cooling than your average person would ever think of' is too. Many 7700K/7740K will reach 5GHz+ with an AIO. Many average people use AIOs these days. :)

Hell, the 4.5GHz on my 7900X, a 1.2GHz overclock from base, I can cool with an AIO............ on that 'less than optimal' TIM. ;)

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
AMD's chips are pushed to the point where... They're balls to the walls.

I thought that at 5 GHz you needed custom cooling and no AIO would be able handle it.

Considering those temps were claimed for a 10-core system running at 4.5GHz on all cores, I doubt there's much room for overclocking left at all, no matter what creates the bottleneck. As such, 80C is perfectly acceptable - I'd say it's pretty damn good. And it sure isn't going to damage anything (although voltage might, of course, but that's another story entirely).

Yep, cooler is better but I'm not sure who said 80c would damage something. It's not a great starting point for over clocking though. There are plenty of people near or above 80c when shooting for 5ghz. After a delid and new TIM and sealant temps drop and higher clocks are obtained on a lot of 7700k processors out there.

But they arent... we said that. :)

They easily reach past their boost and many past 5ghz (7700k/7740k) with good cooling. AMD doesnt get past their own boost. If intel is at the limit, you must feel amd is past its limit?

7900x will overclock 1 ghz and then some...

Its my point as well...not sure why you brought the p3 up if you agreed. Seemed contrary.

Edit: i get you now... yeah. My reply to that is simply anyone can find a rare use case to disprove anything. :)

Yep, to each his or her own. I think too many people on here at grasping at straws just to be angry. I'm always on the fence for anything.
AMD's chips are pushed to the point where... They're balls to the walls.

I thought that at 5 GHz you needed custom cooling and no AIO would be able handle it.

Someone posted a build on Reddit saying he has 5GHZ stable on his 7700k with just a 120MM Corsair AIO.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yep, cooler is better but I'm not sure who said 80c would damage something. It's not a great starting point for over clocking though. There are plenty of people near or above 80c when shooting for 5ghz. After a delid and new TIM and sealant temps drop and higher clocks are obtained on a lot of 7700k processors out there.
Again: we're not talking about 80c as a starting point for OC'ing, but as the end result. Those are two radically different things. Now, I'm not talking about 7700Ks, nor am I saying that 7900Xs don't run hot, I'm simply pointing out the complete lack of logic of saying that a heavily overclocked 10-core running at 80c with all cores at 4.5GHz is a perfectly fine result.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
eavily overclocked 10-core running at 80c with all cores at 4.5GHz is a perfectly fine result.
You see, they're not supposed to be running at those speeds; they were never designed to me running at those speeds. Yes, Intel gives users the ability to overclock their enthusiast chips but the conditions that occur after user overclock them is completely up to the users to handle. Intel knows the limits of their chips, the fact that users overclock them is completely up to them.

Look at it this way, back in the days of Ivy Bridge their chips were clocked in the mid-3 GHz range and you were able to get some amazing overclocks out of them. I myself were able to get an extra 1 GHz out of it. Why? Because at the time the chips were clocked lower than what is needed today. Fast forward to today and Intel knows what is needed and already gives it to you in the form of the K chips, pre-overclocked chips. Any more overclocking than Intel has already done for you is completely up to you. Think of the K chips like the pre-overclocked video cards you often see. Yep, already overclocked, anymore overclocking and you risk damage to it.

Again: we're not talking about 80c as a starting point for OC'ing, but as the end result. Those are two radically different things. Now, I'm not talking about 7700Ks, nor am I saying that 7900Xs don't run hot, I'm simply pointing out the complete lack of logic of saying that a heavily overclocked 10-core running at 80c with all cores at 4.5GHz is a perfectly fine result.

Explain to me like I'm 5 please(ELI5).

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
You see, they're not supposed to be running at those speeds; they were never designed to me running at those speeds. Yes, Intel gives users the ability to overclock their enthusiast chips but the conditions that occur after user overclock them is completely up to the users to handle. Intel knows the limits of their chips, the fact that users overclock them is completely up to them.

Look at it this way, back in the days of Ivy Bridge their chips were clocked in the mid-3 GHz range and you were able to get some amazing overclocks out of them. I myself were able to get an extra 1 GHz out of it. Why? Because at the time the chips were clocked lower than what is needed today. Fast forward to today and Intel knows what is needed and already gives it to you in the form of the K chips, pre-overclocked chips. Any more overclocking than Intel has already done for you is completely up to you. Think of the K chips like the pre-overclocked video cards you often see. Yep, already overclocked, anymore overclocking and you risk damage to it.

I'm just sticking stock and/or turbo myself. This whole de-lidding thing convinces me even more. I don't run anything that needs more than 4.5 anyways. Secondly, I don't want a big double tower to cool it. The lengths I have to go to OC are absurd. Should have never bought a K series probably.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm simply pointing out the complete lack of logic of saying that a heavily overclocked 10-core running at 80c with all cores at 4.5GHz is a perfectly fine result.

And why isn't it perfectly fine? The CPU can go higher, both in speed and temperatures. It could go lower in temperatures, if I wasn't using a fairly cheap AIO cooler. While many want 5 GHz CPUs, for me, the optimal speed for Intel's CPU design since Sandybridge has been 4.6 GHz, and until they change their core design, that won't change.

I'm just sticking stock and/or turbo myself. This whole de-lidding thing convinces me even more. I don't run anything that needs more than 4.5 anyways. Secondly, I don't want a big double tower to cool it. The lengths I have to go to OC are absurd. Should have never bought a K series probably.
It's not that my much work or hassle.

Check out the job I did yesterday-

Attachments

• IMG_20170909_114455.jpg
    IMG_20170909_114455.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 466
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
And why isn't it perfectly fine? The CPU can go higher, both in speed and temperatures. It could go lower in temperatures, if I wasn't using a fairly cheap AIO cooler. While many want 5 GHz CPUs, for me, the optimal speed for Intel's CPU design since Sandybridge has been 4.6 GHz, and until they change their core design, that won't change.
I apparently managed to turn an "isn't" into an "is" while writing that. So much for making myself clear, I guess. It is absolutely a perfectly fine temperature, which was my whole point (and what others were arguing quite strongly against).