• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Pirate Bay Mines Coins in Your Browser - Revenue Model of the Future?

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
It has come into the limelight that popular torrenting website The Pirate Bay (TPB) has been running additional code on their site, which helped enable them to make use of a visitor's CPU in mining Monero (XMR, a cryptocurrency with added layers of anonymity when compared to Bitcoin). Now, I realize Torrenting (in particular, of copyright-protected material) is in itself a subject open to heated debate - but let's leave that discussion for another day. Today, I thought I'd focus on this mining act itself, on how TPB was secretly using your computing resources to stealthily mine cryptocurrency which they could then turn into additional revenue.

That this was done without the users' consent is clearly wrong. We as users are entitled to know what to expect from our system and from its usage of our resources - as seldom as we can claim that ability nowadays. That a site we are visiting is using our computing resources to generate additional revenue than the one it obtains from ads without, at the very least, being forthcoming about it (with the increased electricity costs that implies, however small) can be considered, at a minimum, distasteful. However, the discussion becomes much more interesting if we wonder what would have happened if users had, in fact, been warned. What does this mean for the future of web browsing, for revenue models - and for those pesky, flashy, little (or not so little) ads?

To our forum-lurkers: this article is marked as an Editorial

First things first: TPB's miner worked through a JavaScript string, tucked away in the site's footer, and was provided by Coinhive. Coinhive offers site owners the option to convert the CPU power of users into Monero cryptocurrency coins (which is more profitable than Bitcoin). The miner does increase CPU usage noticeably - that's how the trail was originally found, through abnormal CPU usage spikes in certain pages of TPB. The miner wasn't enabled site-wide, however; it appears that its usage was limited to search results and category listings, and not on the homepage or individual Torrent pages. The code was throttled at different rates (there are reports of both 0.6 and 0.8) but the increase in resources was, apparently, immediately noticeable.

The fact that the miner uses JavaScript means that 1) security shouldn't be a concern; and 2) it's easily blockable by browser extensions most users (at least, readers of TPU) already know. Blocking or disabling JavaScript can stop the automatic mining; this can be done via browser settings, script blocker add-ons for your browser of choice (such as NoScript and ScriptBlock), or through ad-blockers (you'll need to add the miner URL manually, for now). TPB operators have, in the meantime, said that the miner was deployed as a 24 hour test as "(...) a new way to generate revenue," stating that "We really want to get rid of all the ads. But we also need enough money to keep the site running." Apparently, a small typo in the code is to blame for the package's detection, since it seems that the code would, at times, peak to 100% CPU usage. According to TPB's operators, "This should be corrected now so only 20-30% should be used. Also it is restricted to run in one tab only so even if you have 10 tabs open it will only be running in 1."

This is where we're going to take our tangent in the discussion- could this present itself as a "revenue model of the future" for websites? Some users tend to forget that nothing comes for free in this Earth we live in; there are expenses to every single site out there, and ad revenue, as intrusive as it can sometimes be, is what enables most websites to operate, bringing their respective contents to users. However, the dependency on ad revenue for websites has driven some of them to increase ad aggressiveness, with full window or tab pop-ups, messages for users of ad-blocking apps that demand ad-blockers be deactivated on the page, "clickbaity" interfaces with dozens of clicks being needed so you can read an article in its entirety and so on. Ads, when done right and respectfully, are a good way of powering the webpages that we visit, demanding slightly more computing resources on our part, as well as a a measure of attention and focus, and nothing more. To be fair, loading a webpage isn't a zero-sum load on your system, although it is generally not even close to the 100% usage that TPB's Coinhive implementation was demanding (or its 20% iteration, for that matter).

However, we've all seen what happens where revenue is concerned; as an income generator, ads started being more and more exploited in the ways mentioned above, which, naturally, gave way to ad-blocking mechanisms for the offenders - which incidentally, also caught honest, balanced, ad-based websites in the crossfire. And this is, again, the issue with webpage-based miners, even if throttled - only exacerbated by the increased computing strain a given page puts in our computing resources.

The thing here is, virtually every single page in the web nowadays pushes ads through to your computer. This means every page you load, whether in a single or multiple tabs, also loads ads. Luckily, ads are relatively inexpensive when it comes to computing - but even so, there are sometimes measurable performance improvements in using an ad-blocker that prevents them from being loaded. Faster page loads, reduced usage of system resources, the whole galore. Now consider how much more load a cryptocurrency miner will put on your hardware, multiply it by the number of tabs/websites you visit at any given moment, and... why is my 8-core system lagging, really?

The problem, I believe, doesn't lie with the Coinhive technology of embedding the miner in pages. TPB's code was tweaked for the miner to only run in a single tab, for example. It was also further throttled so that it doesn't show as much of an impact on the browsing experience. These are sensible decisions- almost like the conception of ad revenue in the Internet. The problem isn't with the technology per se; it's with site managers, who see increased revenues and want to increase those even more. For every site that implements this system sensibly (let's say, it only runs on a single tab, and uses up to 2% CPU load), I bet there are ten others who are integrating it so that it loads on every tab, with a different instance loading up on every click, and taking up 40% of your computing resources each time (example only, though unfortunately, I fear I'm not exaggerating here).

Another issue stems from the number of websites that implement this additional/alternative revenue model; how many tabs do you usually have open? I'm definitely not a power user, but even for the writing of this article, I had, at one time, 11 different tabs open. Even if only one tab from one website loads up the cryptocurrency miner, and only loads your system by 1%, it's still a linear increase with every website you load. How much processing power (and the energy bill that comes with it) are you willing to give away? If, say, you're only comfortable with 20% usage on your CPU for this, does this mean you'll have to implement a hard limit on the number of websites you have open at the same time?

I thoroughly enjoy the idea; it's ingenious, can be implemented reasonably, and would offer site managers an alternate revenue stream (though it would most likely be an additional revenue stream, let's be honest). I'd be willing to give some additional spare CPU cycles for this if it meant no intrusive ads, no flashy colors grabbing my attention. But in the end, the issue, as always, isn't with the technology; it's with the people that implement it. Web mining is, in my view, unfeasible, because people who abuse the system will automatically profit more. Eventually, the abuse will be widespread and visible enough that users will get sick of those poor team players, and ad-blockers, browser developers (who have already implemented limits to how many computation resources a background tab can demand), and website operators will end up driving web mining the way of the ads. If only we could all be sensible and reasonable, right?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
More proof JavaScript needs to die.

I'm sure it adds up with millions of visitors, but it still seems like such a meager way to revenue. I have a 4670K and a full 24hr day of cpu mining at 100% is only around 50 cents. So a few minutes at partial load is tiny fractions of a penny. And now that it's known people will go elsewhere for searches and/or be more vigilant about using script blockers.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I had read that this is just a trial run and the trial is for 2 months or so. There is a lot of hoop-a-la over this, a lot the responses I've seen do mimick @FordGT90Concept feelings that Javascript is now more intrusive than ever and should die.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
As much as I disliked learning Js, killing it is going to be hard. Lots and lots of dynamic/interactive website are using it (Tpu is among them, unity webgl is also using Js, and so are lots of recent impressive web project). And while Js is itself a terrible language to learn, Jquery is making things so easy. Js is still what students are learning in school to make dynamics and interactive website.

D

Deleted member 172152

YES!!!!!!!

Take my resources internet people and rid the world of those cheap, annoying ads! I don't mind a few ads, but some websites are unuseable because of those pesky ads!

Now we just need some laws to ensure privacy and safety, but I think this is a brilliant idea!

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
I can't help but sit here and laugh - when you visit sketchy sites to download pirated contents, what do you expect? It is like getting robbed by a drug dealer. You know the risks going in. Are you going to report to the police?

Don't blame JavaScript. Don't blame the tool. It is like blaming the drug dealer's gun for robbing you. Blame the site operator.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Be a bugger if in order to browse the General web you have to have a Specific low powerd machine thats incapable of mining anything
Retro rig with AGP4 card 256m/b ram for example

Trouble is your then get pop up's ( Blocked of Course ) saying your machine is not powerfull enough to view this Site ( utter crap by the Way

System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1TB + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
If this becomes popular... RIP battery life :laugh:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Another issue stems from the number of websites that implement this additional/alternative revenue model; how many tabs do you usually have open? I'm definitely not a power user, but even for the writing of this article, I had, at one time, 11 different tabs open. Even if only one tab from one website loads up the cryptocurrency miner, and only loads your system by 1%, it's still a linear increase with every website you load. How much processing power (and the energy bill that comes with it) are you willing to give away?

So how long before Some lowlife bright spark writes code that either allows their miner to run in its own tab or worse write code that boots/blocks other miners in other tabs and you end up with say 5 tabs crashing each other fighting for mining supremacy, of their Tab
The Main Browser Companys need to update their Browsers to Automaticly block this for their user base

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Usenet with a Pay Server :love:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Js is still what students are learning in school to make dynamics and interactive website.
Everything that needs to be dynamic should be handled by HTML directly (e.g. table sort cores). Web apps should run in a restrictive virtual machine. HTML has noscript tags for a reason and because of the proliferation of JavaScript, they're not used like they're supposed to be. Putting active scripting back in containers means browsers can lay down the law (allow/deny on an individual container basis...ineffective as an advertising and compute tool) and developers have incentive to compensate for it.

There's no reason why JQuery like commands to request dynamic data from a remote server could not be embedded into HTML specification. Of course, as a consequence, developers are limited in what they can do with it because HTML is intended to be a compute-light framework.

I'd argue over half of the internet is unusable because of JavaScript...unless you use a blocker. It's like a cancer on the internet.

Back on topic: this disgusts me because it would steal clock cycles from WCG on my computers.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Everything that needs to be dynamic should be handled by HTML directly (e.g. table sort cores).
HTML is a static display description language by design. The improvements you describe would just result in Javascript again, just being part of HTML

Tpu is among them
Everything on TPU should work without JS. JS is used for additional improvement only.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
This is one of the reasons I keep the task manager minimized to systray: so I can easily spot greedy processes and deal with them.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
So don't leave the web page open after launching qbittorrent, problem solved.

It is one thing to get enough money to maintain a website, and an other thing to MAKE money at others expense.
Sure ads are annoying, especially on shit websites, but most decent sites can get by with a few ethical ads due to popularity.
This bitcoin mining in browser is pure cancer however, STEALING resources from the user to make money...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
HTML is a static display description language by design. The improvements you describe would just result in Javascript again, just being part of HTML
Marquee is an example going way, way back (Edge no longer renders it). Now we have Video in HTML5. HTML hasn't been just static content in a long time. The important thing is that browser developers, not web developers, have absolute control over how to handle HTML. JavaScript is a can of worms. Expand the HTML toolkit to take away the main reasons to use JavaScript and improve the experience for everyone.

Or better, just burn the whole thing and start from scratch. There should only be one specification that handles all presentation, not unlike XAML in WPF.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
As much as I disliked learning Js, killing it is going to be hard. Lots and lots of dynamic/interactive website are using it (Tpu is among them, unity webgl is also using Js, and so are lots of recent impressive web project). And while Js is itself a terrible language to learn, Jquery is making things so easy. Js is still what students are learning in school to make dynamics and interactive website.
The language is not the problem.
Instead of JS we could have C, Java, Rust, Python or Erlang, the problem would be the same: lack of control/permissions.

Hint: One of my favourite addons is not called NoJS, it's called NoScript. Though TPU is really, really light on sourcing their JS compared to other site. I can see techpowerup.com, their associated CDN, code.jquery.com and google analytics. Many other sites easily use a dozen sources for their JS.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Marquee is an example going way, way back (Edge no longer renders it). Now we have Video in HTML5. HTML hasn't been just static content in a long time.
The video tag is just as static as an img tag, or is your argument that an animated gif is a dynamic html element? Marquee was removed because it was too limited and functionality is implemented much better by JS or even CSS

System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1TB + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
It will be cool as hell when a solar flare hits and you're (miners) all broke. Paper/plastic money is bad enough....

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
We are surprised that the site that has been brought to criminal court on 2 occasions I know of and shut down by various governments no less than 9 times, is shady. I would not have guessed. I mean they have to pay those lawyers somehow.