• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X299 Killer SLI/ac

cadaveca

My name is Dave
ASRock's entry-level Intel X299 motherboard is the X299 Killer SLI/ac, which we review today. With built-in Wi-Fi and a digital CPU VRM design, ASRock continues its solid stance on reliable Intel X299 motherboards, and perhaps just kills the competition.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like that aggressive voltage on automatic overclocking is present on most motherboards on market today and manually tuning the voltage is the best option.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It always was that way...

Mobo's always tended to overvolt in favor of stability. Nothing new there. Chait. :)

@cadaveca - Why is CPUz reading the Input voltage? Both ASRock X299 boards I used showed actual voltage... 1.80.2x64 (the latest I believe) is what I am using...What voltage did you reach when overclocking on auto? Manual?

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Only one USB 3.0 header? Nope.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Only one USB 3.0 header? Nope.
You consistently give feedback that makes me think. Thanks, that's valid input!

Seems like that aggressive voltage on automatic overclocking is present on most motherboards on market today and manually tuning the voltage is the best option.

Yes, it is, and while I understand why it is happening, users do need to be made aware of what exactly is going on.

@cadaveca - Why is CPUz reading the Input voltage? Both ASRock X299 boards I used showed actual voltage... 1.80.2x64 (the latest I believe) is what I am using...What voltage did you reach when overclocking on auto? Manual?

Yeah, CPU-Z version must be at fault there. automatic overclocking sees only 4.5 GHz due to temps. Manual clocking sees the 4.6 GHz AVX-stable with a small bit of thermal overhead (85c loaded @ 1.225V selected in BIOS). Input voltage is automatically upped to 2.1V again on this board, where I tuned that down to 1.775V, allowed the CPU to go that little bit further, so no big changes needed for manual tuning; just Input voltage.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Not so much a comment on this specific board as it is on Asrock;

I just made a new build with the Asrock z270 Killer, it's the second Z270 mobo I have used (made a build with a gigabyte z270 previously) and my work PC (Asrock H81M) and previous gaming PC (Asrock P67) are/were both Asrock mobos. To me me personally, my biggest gripe with Asrock was the mobos always felt thinner then the completions but with the Asrock Z270 Killer I seriously felt as if I may break the PCB board as I gently tightened an after market heat sink back plate onto it.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I own this board, and I don't think it deserves an editors choice. You probably wouldn't find it during the tests in a review, but the BIOS is buggy and has caused me more frustration than any other board I have ever previously owned. The initial release BIOS would stop detecting M.2 drives after the first reboot, and the only way to fix it was to clear the CMOS every reboot. It took a month after release for ASRock to fix that bug; until then my system was unusable unless I kept it powered on 24/7. And the board won't flash BIOS updates unless you have a specific hardware configuration; otherwise it throws a "security check failed" error. It took me about a week to figure out that I have to unplug all SATA drives and clear the cmos BEFORE I can flash the BIOS. It's just ridiculous that they allowed this buggy a product to make it to retail.

Can't say I have experienced those issues in my testing either. It was fine in the latest version I tested on... 1.6(?)... its been out a monthish?

Im not saying it didnt happen, but what i am saying is the latest bios out, i havent seen these issues. And if others update to the latest who may be having these issues, id imagine their issue to be resolved. :)

Last edited:
System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Can't say I have experienced those issues in my testing either. It was fine in the latest version I tested on... 1.6(?)... its been out a monthish?

Im not saying it didnt happen, but what i am saying is the latest bios out, i havent seen these issues. And if others update to the latest who may be having these issues, id imagine their issue to be resolved. :)
You must be referring to a different board, since the latest BIOS on their site is 1.30A. And I agree, it works fine with the latest BIOS version, but why did I have to put up with a month of a non-working product? The majority of people who buy motherboards aren't going to update their BIOS or even adjust more than the most basic of BIOS settings, so they will likely have the same frustrating experience as I did.

I'm used the same board. See the question mark after 1.6 that you quoted? That means I wasn't sure. Apologies I forgot the BIOS version.

The majority of people who purchase motherboards like this are going to flash their BIOS. The driver disk, which most people use, also has the ability to DL the latest BIOS. In other words, I disagree with your sentiment people aren't going to update their BIOS.

As far as the issues... you shouldn't have had to go through that. I agree there. However, its over now and most can easily flash if the boards don't have a later version.

I mean, price you pay for being an early adopter at times. Welcome to the club, nothing is perfect upon release... some are worse than others. :)

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
And I agree, it works fine with the latest BIOS version, but why did I have to put up with a month of a non-working product?

Because the X299 train was rushed in light of Threadripper and you happened to jump on that train. But that definitely doesn't excuse Intel or Asrock for botching X299.

The majority of people who buy motherboards aren't going to update their BIOS or even adjust more than the most basic of BIOS settings, so they will likely have the same frustrating experience as I did.

The majority of people who buy motherboards don't buy HEDT ones. There's an expectation (not unrealistic, IMO) that HEDT users are smarter than the average bear.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Not sure if sarcasm or...
Not sarcasm at all. ;)

Not so much a comment on this specific board as it is on Asrock;

I just made a new build with the Asrock z270 Killer, it's the second Z270 mobo I have used (made a build with a gigabyte z270 previously) and my work PC (Asrock H81M) and previous gaming PC (Asrock P67) are/were both Asrock mobos. To me me personally, my biggest gripe with Asrock was the mobos always felt thinner then the completions but with the Asrock Z270 Killer I seriously felt as if I may break the PCB board as I gently tightened an after market heat sink back plate onto it.
If an X299 board bends, you did something really wrong. The socket design kind of makes that impossible. I feel what you are saying, nd yeah, some boards are thin, but I find that from all brands. Sometimes when you buy a more expensive board, those are the things you get to avoid. Board bending from heatsink pressure used to be pretty common in mainstream products, actually.

Haiz

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I just read the review own this motherboard. However, I do have to say that I am currently in the process of building a x299 platform with this motherboard. I've actually noticed that this motherboard gives a area where a second USB 3.0 header can be soldiered in place. Additionally, I've also noticed the same thing about com1 port as well. Furthermore, I'm not sure about this aspect but it looks as if a debugging display can be added on to the board near the comos battery. These features would help this board dramatically and these parts cost little to nothing. I'm actually thinking about buying a second board of the same make and model and testing to see if indeed these aspects that I'm contemplating can be achieved.Lastly, I'd like to know if the original poster or anybody in the comments would think that this would be an achievable aspect. Because in the end I honestly think this board has a lot of features that the competition does not include for a entry-level board and ultimately if your to able to solider in the debugging screen, second 3.0 header, and the com1 port then that would make this board live up to its name in the aspects of killer value.

Last edited:

Haiz

hello, again I did get in touch with asrock, concerning my thoughts and this was the reply.

"ASRock use the same PVC for different model ,depend of the motherboard model those empty spaces are occupied"

Which means to me if they use the pvc or in other words the same pcb board, then we should be able to solder in the missing aspects.

The key here is if the existing board controllers are able to support the additional bandwidth required for the new headers. Also, wouldn't a BIOS update be required to ID the new parts?

Haiz

yes that would be true, and I was thinking the bios would need to be changed out to one that recognized the updates. I don't see the issue with changing out a bios with say a higher end motherboard say for example Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9. and if they were to use the same bios and bios version. I really don't think you'd need to swap them. This is the great thing about computer, is the user has so many different options which are most unaware of having. I would love to be able to test it to see if it would work, because then your talking about saving the third of the price of a higher end motherboard. I'll eventually look for a used one or a open box to test my theories.