• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i7 8700K Reportedly Reaches 4.8 GHz Easily, 5 GHz+ Requires Delid

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Well, with baking, you don't really have anything to lose. The component died already, so if you make it work, great, if not, well, it died anyway in the first place. So, it's always worth a try.
I’m pretty sure my OG Release PS3 Phat went in the oven 6 times and came back before I gave up.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
To your point about thermal paste drying out, it won't dry out in a sealed environment like a heatspreader, or at least not for decades. Where is the moisture going to go?

Heatspreaders are not sealed environments. On every one there is either a hole drilled in the top or a gap in the bead of glue they use to hold it in place.

You get an "A" for effort, but your whole argument is flawed.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
The cracks aren't formed by shock but by wicking of the Indium along the Gold bonding regions. I was pointing out that the cycle has to happen many times for this to become problematic as TIM defenders are making it out to be. Also melting temps do not need to be reached only enough energy need to be provided for the two metals to react causing the atoms to shift in the lattice. When enough atoms shift or are displaced cracks form.

I have no idea what you're talking about but i'll take it , i thought thermal shock made it happen, something like what happens with Pb-Sn solder if it cools down too quickly.

Things crack at extreme temperature shifts. Something CPU's never really experience. I mean, temperatures we read on Windows desktop are on-die sensor readings. 70°C inside core is a lot lower at the IHS point. It also never goes below ambient temperature which is usually what, 22-25°C, but CPU never ever reaches just that. My 5820K sits at around 35-38°C idle. So, that's roughly 30°C difference (even if it's 40 it's not much).

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
They had this in the comment section of wccftech
skylake oc.jpg

Yes, I know, wccftech, but it does look like we have seen these reports before. I wonder how much better really are the new 14nm++ and Coffee Lake, compared to the original 14nm and Skylake.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It didn't , if you search around for 7xxx series cards all the way up to the 200 series you're going to find a lot of defective cards which most likely died this way. There was quite the fuss over this back when this was uncovered.
This problem was a result of RoHS coming into effect, and switching to lead-free solder. Took some time before they found the perfect blend, and this problem was present in nearly every type of electronic you can think of for a few years.

People constantly say that solder degrades. But has anyone actually EVER seen one that has failed or started overheating because of this? Or is this just fluff myth that exists in theory but not in practice? Where with TIM, we know that it's in fact inferior from a brand new processor purchased on day one...
Yes, I have three or four chips that overheat on particular cores after some time to the point of instability, and those cores were fine before. There are also many reports of chips that begin to overheat after a time all over these forums. Not so common these days, but at the same time, people are changing rigs quite often, so it is hard to tell, but for sure reported. Nothing sucks more than having overheating Cores, and no real way to change the TIM.

Oh look, what's this CPU I just got? Oh wait, it's not a CPU, it's two! And an M.2 device? WTF... So... I don't need to speculate. :p

But is it really a thing of an IHS solder or something else? Like a fab defect or something within core rather than IHS contacting point?

I mean, even if there is a fracture in there, the CPU heatsink pressure would probably keep it together, making difference unmeasurable. Especially on monolithic designs with Intel. I find it unlikely that a micro crack would affect just 1 core somehow. For that to happen it would have to be a huge crack which just doesn't seem to make sense.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But is it really a thing of an IHS solder or something else? Like a fab defect or something within core rather than IHS contacting point?

I mean, even if there is a fracture in there, the CPU heatsink pressure would probably keep it together, making difference unmeasurable. Especially on monolithic designs with Intel. I find it unlikely that a micro crack would affect just 1 core somehow. For that to happen it would have to be a huge crack which just doesn't seem to make sense.
100% spot on. So really, it's not just a micro-fissure. The solder actually wicks itself out of place, creating an air gap. What really causes this, other than "thermal cycling causing solder pump", is totally unknown. You shouldn't be able to "reflow" a CPU...

You do also need to keep in mind that these guys are likely using some weird blend of metals that is highly un-tested except in-house. There's probably some dude whose job it is requires him or her to play with this stuff day in and day out, until he retires. I'd love to talk to this guy.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
4 pages about TIM vs solder going nowhere substantial, that to me is a sign that we are discussing a non issue...

Oh well

Even with the fracturing risk, I'd take soldered IHS any time over TIM. I think all the CPU's I've had were soldered. And to date I never had issues. And I like to push them to the limit.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
100% spot on. So really, it's not just a micro-fissure. The solder actually wicks itself out of place, creating an air gap. What really causes this, other than "thermal cycling causing solder pump", is totally unknown. You shouldn't be able to "reflow" a CPU...

You do also need to keep in mind that these guys are likely using some weird blend of metals that is highly un-tested except in-house. There's probably some dude whose job it is requires him or her to play with this stuff day in and day out, until he retires. I'd love to talk to this guy.

It is known, the electron energy of a mixture of metals allows two metals with a higher melting point to mix and creates a lower melting point. The solder gains energy enough to slowly reform small crystal lattices of its compounds and those differing crystal lattices are what cause the micro cracks or fissures. On a tiny BGA pad this is terrible, and will eventually result in death of all BGA devices unless the crystal lattice forms in such a way that it still allows low impedance conductivity. Note that thermal conductivity is NOT the same as electrical conductivity, as even though both metals may be thermally conductive still halogens still used in the substrate manufacturing may react with the solder metals and form a metal halide that is NOT conductive to electricity but is to heat. http://www.indium.com/blog/halogen-free-vs-halide-free.php https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halide Dave, your cores may become unstable due to voltage drop to specific cores, increase in the resistance of the solder joint causing communication issues, and would also raise the resistance of the thermal probe circuit which would look exactly like a higher temperature , or very remotely possibly that the indium has migrated away from a core if they coated too much of the IHS inside with gold, but the overwhelming evidence anymore is the BGA solder will fail long before solder used as TIM.

Why don't they use liquid metals then? Even if their production costs are bumped up by $5 per CPU because of it and they charge extra $20 bucks for that to the end user, I'm willing to accept that. When you're paying 500+ bucks for CPU, extra 20 is nothing. This becomes even more true when we step up to 1000 and 1500 bucks CPU's. Adding extra 20 bucks on top of that is nothing if this ensures near perfection.

If TIM is crap and solder is bound to crack, liquid metal is best of both worlds. It can't crack and it has superior heat transmission. Cheaper CPU's can use TIM as it doesn't really matter for their heat output, but with 6+ core monsters, I want best of the best.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
But the tim works....

I dont get this....sure it can be better, but it does just fine at st9ck and overclocked...which probably 1% of people do.

The "that'll do" approach only benefits product makers, not consumers. By not criticizing it, you're basically encouraging it. Today it's TIM instead of solder, tommor they'll charge you extra to even get the TIM...

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I think you missed the news item. It's about exactly that. :kookoo:

Indeed it is, at the same time, soldered CPUs also cap out at similar clocks, and if you want to go further, you'll need exotic solutions just as well. Then there is a longevity concern, which also is not substantial, so far, I have yet to see credible numbers of Intel TIM CPUs that degrade faster than soldered ones. Reality dictates however, that a CPU is obsolete long before that happens.

The only trend we are really seeing is that Intel is eating up our OC headroom for us because the Core arch is nearing its end of life and a competitor presents a good product that can match its performance. At the same time, it cannot match its clocks by a long shot, while being soldered.

To me that is 'nuff said' with regards to solder vs TIM. What remains is a discussion for the 1% that likes to seek out limits and I am not surprised they find them...

Lol @EarthDog ... Great minds think alike or... I had not even read your response yet :D

Even with the fracturing risk, I'd take soldered IHS any time over TIM. I think all the CPU's I've had were soldered. And to date I never had issues. And I like to push them to the limit.
The original 771/775 Core 2 Quads/Duo's still run like champs and were soldered if that's not longevity idk what is and those CPU's were plenty abused in terms of heat and voltage. Honestly Intel claims a lot of things that are misleading to cover their own bottom line less warranty issues to resolve and higher profit margins due excessive overclocking. Unless they are profiteering of OC they don't care about it or appreciate it particularly from a business standpoint.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
The only trend we are really seeing is that Intel is eating up our OC headroom for us because the Core arch is nearing its end of life
That's my thinking as well. We've reached the end of what the Core Architecture can do. The fact that it's gone as long as it has (8 years since Nehalem) is amazing. Now it's time to go back to the drawing board and develop the next architecture.

The "that'll do" approach only benefits product makers, not consumers. By not criticizing it, you're basically encouraging it. Today it's TIM instead of solder, tommor they'll charge you extra to even get the TIM...
Why would i criticize something that works? Again, im overclocked to 4.5ghz daily and could do 4.8.... should i cry because i cant get to 4.9 because intel chose tim instead of solder?? If i am one of the 1% of the 1% who wants that extra 100mhz, ill delid. Simple.

Few people, even here give a hoot about that last 100 mhz.

I don't want to delid my CPU. I had Athlon XP without any IHS and with re-mounting, I know the edges of the core were starting to chip off a bit.

So put it back on...

Dont split hairs and act stupid. Clearly we are talking swapping out the tim and placing the IHS back on...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
To me that is 'nuff said' with regards to solder vs TIM. What remains is a discussion for the 1% that likes to seek out limits and I am not surprised they find them...

For those that like to seek out the limits, paste is better because you can then remove the metal in the way and go direct-die. IHS just gets in the way, so which is the truly the best enthusiast option? o_O

BTW, that's what it is, paste vs solder, since both are a TIM. :fear:

System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
TIM solution works just fine, or hasn't it?
Move on as i have and many millions...
You can hate, yell, wish death to Intel but they are geniusess and you... know that, don't try to find the reason behind, you'll never find it, but be sure of this, IT WORKS!

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
The issue with the Xbox 360 was the solder used in attaching the chip itself to the motherboard , not the solder used for the heatsink. They didn't even use solder for that.

Do some research and cut back the Intel damage control.
actually, neither of that is correct. The issue was defective chip substrate, where bumps inside simply disconnected. Heating the chip to 130c or so "fixed" the issue temporary. People thought it was solder, because solder melts too.

Can anyone prove , that TIM is better or Worst than Soldered for long time runs ? Or its just Intel Vs AMD again ???