• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Has No Plans to Release a Custom Radeon RX Vega 64

System Name Primalz
Processor 7700X @ 5.550GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Asus X670E plus wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair 32gb 6000mhz CL40
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800XT gaming OC
Storage Kingston Fury PCIx 5 1TB 7000MB/S 970 evo 250GB 2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC 32" Curved 1440p @155hz
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X Via optical into Z5500's
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Gold Evo 1000W
Mouse Razor Death Adder V2
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 (Cherry Brown)
Software 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores i can drink beer & smoke weed at the same time HAHA
have owned gigabyte radeons cards before & never again... Absolute crap cards, noisy vrm's the fans are total crap last HD6970 I had the fan bearings pretty well died after like 6 months so had to tap the fan to get it to shut-up oh & massive pcb bending...

loving the asus strix coolers on my 1070 oc's like a boss

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Sounds 100% like a supposition to me , there's no real evidence that there is some sort of problem with cooling caused by the different package assembly.

As if AMD with Vega were the first ones to use multiple suppliers for components such as memory or by having multiple package versions. To me this sounds like a ridiculous level of nitpicking. Nvidia quietly changed the supplier for memory modules on their 1070s after every reviewer got the ones with Samsung chips that overclocked far better and it pretty much went under the radar , a few angry customers here and there but overall it's chill . The good ol' double standard.

But sure call them penny-pinching assholes , whatever floats your boat or makes you more comfortable with your next purchases , we all do it I suppose.

Except that memory chips are manufactured to an exact size standard to ensure they can be swapped out. To ensure that this exact issue with fitment isn't an issue. Which in NVIDIA's case it wasn't.

AMD honestly has no excuse for this fucking debacle. We're talking about massive, hot chips, in which a difference in tolerances of under a millimetre make a huge difference to the noise/thermal profile. And you can bet that Gigabyte doesn't have the time or inclination to design 3 different coolers for the potential Vega variants, then have to manually bin each Vega chip they receive to ensure it fits. They're a company out to make money, having to bugger around with Vega chip variances cuts into their profit, so they're going to do the logical thing and just concentrate on NVIDIA cards which are much less painful and hence more profitable to deal with.

If AMD wants to ship its GPUs, it's gotta make it easy for partners to design custom cards based on them, and right now it's doing exactly the opposite. That is their fault, nobody else's, and they need to get their damn act together.

Whenever. Right now is fine with me. I noticed it weeks ago when it was first reported. And I made my decision about it then. It's BS. The proper cooling of the HBM is the highest priority of any component on the card. As in the HBM is going to overheat before anything else does. They majorly dropped the ball by not making sure that it can be cooled as effectively as possible. Leaving space to be filled by more TIM is NOT a good idea. It can't have anything but a negative impact on cooling the HBM.

AIB partners have taken note of this and have come to the same conclusion I have. It's a fucking nightmare and I don't blame them for not wanting to touch it with a 10' pole. It disgusting. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt and my stomach churn. I was actually considering buying one until I found this out.

Though, like I said, I probably would still buy one if I could know 100% for sure ahead of time it wasn't one with the GPU die/HBM height mismatch. I'm most certainly not having that. And I don't know why anyone would. Given the fact they all aren't like that. And the ones that are don't need to be. AMD could have made sure of that. But they're obviously a bunch of careless, penny-pinching, asshole idiots...frankly. "Let's make them all different so we can't provide the customers with a consistent product, and piss off our AIB partners by making their jobs way more difficult than necessary". Really? FU AMD!

Except that memory chips are manufactured to an exact size standard to ensure they can be swapped out. To ensure that this exact issue with fitment isn't an issue. Which in NVIDIA's case it wasn't.

AMD honestly has no excuse for this fucking debacle. We're talking about massive, hot chips, in which a difference in tolerances of under a millimetre make a huge difference to the noise/thermal profile. And you can bet that Gigabyte doesn't have the time or inclination to design 3 different coolers for the potential Vega variants, then have to manually bin each Vega chip they receive to ensure it fits. They're a company out to make money, having to bugger around with Vega chip variances cuts into their profit, so they're going to do the logical thing and just concentrate on NVIDIA cards which are much less painful and hence more profitable to deal with.

If AMD wants to ship its GPUs, it's gotta make it easy for partners to design custom cards based on them, and right now it's doing exactly the opposite. That is their fault, nobody else's, and they need to get their damn act together.

People forgot what the original source that started it all said?

Toms Hardware France said:
So we did our tests with the ungraded version of the GPU, on which the HBM2 RAM chips are 40 μm shorter than the GPU. Fortunately, we have not experienced any cooling problems with these HBM2 chips (which give off a lot of heat), as long as the correct thermal paste is used correctly to fill the 40 μm (high viscosity paste).

As usual they just read headlines.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

It doesn't matter it was the right size or whatever , I simply gave that example of them using different suppliers for components. Funny how when it comes to Nvidia , everything has an explanation and somehow ends up being perfectly fine but AMD definitely fucks up. :rolleyes:

AMD honestly has no excuse for this fucking debacle. We're talking about massive, hot chips, in which a difference in tolerances of under a millimetre make a huge difference to the noise/thermal profile.

Post whatever piece of evidence you found that confirms this , about making "a huge difference to the noise/thermal profile". I am truly astonished how fast this FUD crap spreads and how quickly everyone gobbles it up. Read the post above this one.

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling custom water (360+280 rads) EK cpu and gpu blocks
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro 3600
Video Card(s) rx vega 64
Storage XPG SX8200 pro NVME Gen3 500g, Samsung 860 evo 500g,
Display(s) Benq Zowie XL 2730
Case Phanteks Eclipse p600s
Audio Device(s) Razor Leviathan
Power Supply SEASONIC Platinum 850w CORSAIR HX1000,
Mouse Zowie EC1-b, Glorias model-O
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software WINDOWS 10, 64BIT
- Epoxy resin made in Taiwan RX Vega 64 Samsung HBM2 = Apple iMac
- Resinless made in South Korea RX Vega 56 SK Hynix HBM2 = Actual first/new Interposer supplier and I believe they dropped this company.
- Resinless made in Taiwan for engineering boards (probably SK Hynix HBM2) = Reference production cards

As the to HBM2 height not sure if it both Samsung/Hynix, but yes there are picture on the web like guru3d.com and that Asus RX Vega 64. Not sure what and which models had the issue and if what that really did to heat control of the HBM2.

I got a Sapphire Vega 56, resin less from Korea that has Samsung memory ( haven't heard of anyone getting Hynix memory). HBM runs at the same temp as the GPU and overclocks to 1100 like many others. So far in my testing, the GPU boosts to 1660 mhz and others have done better, but I've got an EK water block on it and that's what I think you need to enjoy Vega cos it's hot as hell. Any type of Air cooling can't tame this card and give better performance than the reference IMO.

Out of curiosity, what are they doing different between the AMD and NVidia cards? I think their AORUS GTX line is pretty nice.

I really like the Aorus GTX line as well, wanted a Vega56 version of it to match my current motherboard. All can only hope....

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Sounds 100% like a supposition to me , there's no real evidence that there is some sort of problem with cooling caused by the different package assembly.

As if AMD with Vega were the first ones to use multiple suppliers for components such as memory or by having multiple package versions. To me this sounds like a ridiculous level of nitpicking. Nvidia quietly changed the supplier for memory modules on their 1070s after every reviewer got the ones with Samsung chips that overclocked far better and it pretty much went under the radar , a few angry customers here and there but overall it's chill . The good ol' double standard.

But sure call them penny-pinching assholes , whatever floats your boat or makes you more comfortable with your next purchases , we all do it I suppose.
You seem to be projection quite hard yourself.

On previous cards, this was a non issue, as RAM was chosen by the vendor, thus they would have physical control of which cards get which components. The RAM also didnt NEED to be cooled like HBM does. if an AIB wanted to make a card with cooled memory, they could specify which type of memory was used on that card irrespective of the manufacturer of the GPU.

With VEGA, the vendors have 0 control on which memory/package they get, and this causes a serious issue when it comes to mass production of PCBs and heatsinks since the memory has inconsistent height, which you would know if you RTFA.

I got a Sapphire Vega 56, resin less from Korea that has Samsung memory ( haven't heard of anyone getting Hynix memory).
That's interesting because that's what Tom's is saying and showing... I would've thought Samsung is for Apple as I thought I heard they are seeing consistent delivery and seen as offering the best part consistency.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
That's interesting because that's what Tom's is saying and showing... I would've thought Samsung is for Apple as I thought I heard they are seeing consistent delivery and seen as offering the best part consistency.
Samsung is for everyone at this point, Hynix will be used at some point in some chips when Hynix gets their act together

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
this causes a serious issue when it comes to mass production of PCBs

Just like in my previous comment , post any information you find that confirms this is indeed an issue manufacturers have at this moment , such as Gigabyte in this case.

Those articles contain no such proof , just suppositions. So get out of here with your RTFA bs , in fact I advise you to take a better look yourself.

There are no brakes on the FUD train.

Last edited: