• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Announces 12TB Hard Drives for Desktop and NAS Applications

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate Technology plc. announced today its IronWolf, IronWolf Pro and BarraCuda Pro hard drives are now available at capacities up to 12TB. Offering the highest capacity, reliability and performance in the industry among network-attached storage (NAS) and desktop HDDs, Seagate's 12TB IronWolf and BarraCuda Pro drives further extend the capabilities of the leading Seagate Guardian Series to meet the growing data needs of large enterprise business, small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), and creative professionals.

Across the globe, we are experiencing a massive increase in the volume of data created, with a recent study by IDC and Seagate finding that data creation will swell to a total of 163 zettabytes (ZB) by 2025, 10x more than today. Seagate's latest portfolio of 12TB drives are designed for today's media storage needs - including augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), 4K resolution and 360-degree videos - and offer scalability for the future with increased space and speed.

"Our storage hungry customers and partners continue to ask for our latest and greatest technology along with increased capacity and performance in our purpose built products," said Matt Rutledge, senior vice president of Business Marketing at Seagate Technology. "With the 12TB Pro products, Seagate buyers are overcoming capacity constraints in their systems and can access vast amounts of digital data anytime, from anywhere."

12 TB BarraCuda Pro Desktop Drive
Seagate's 12TB BarraCuda Pro HDD is the fastest, highest-capacity and most reliable hard drive for desktop computing available on the market today. With 12 TB of capacity - double the space of its closest competitor - the BarraCuda Pro can meet any number of demanding data management needs from creative editing workflows to gaming to desktop computing. The drive's high speed means that data-intensive activities like large file transfers and photo-editing are faster when using BarraCuda Pro.

12 TB IronWolf and IronWolf Pro for NAS
Offering the highest capacity, reliability, performance and system scalability in the industry, Seagate's 12 TB IronWolf and IronWolf Pro HDDs empower customers to centralize their data onto NAS systems to ensure round-the-clock access for multiple users. At 12 TB and in only a 3.5 inch form factor, IronWolf and IronWolf Pro offer more capacity in less space, meeting the needs for file-sharing, remote access and backup for SMBs, enterprises and creative professionals.

"Whether it's storing your family photos, collaborating on important documents at work, or protecting your home with our video surveillance solutions, Synology NAS enthusiasts will be excited by the addition of Seagate's 12TB IronWolf drives," said Alex Wang, CEO of Synology America Corp. "By working together, Seagate and Synology are providing great ways for people to safeguard their digital lives and get the most out of their private cloud."

The new 12TB drives also support Seagate's leading IronWolf Health Management (IHM) software. Designed to operate on enabled Synology DiskStation NAS, Asustor NAS, and QNAP NAS, populated with Seagate IronWolf or IronWolf Pro drives, IHM improves the overall system reliability by displaying actionable prevention, intervention or recovery options for the user and will be available within the next quarter with NAS partners.

"We are excited with Seagate's launch of the industry's largest capacity NAS drive - the 12TB IronWolf and IronWolf Pro," said Meiji Chang, general manager of QNAP, adding, "QNAP has collaborated with Seagate for many years on product and technology enhancements, working with them to create the best hard drives for NAS users. We believe that Seagate's new IronWolf family provides the performance, reliability, and capacity needed to dependably store the vast data generated by virtualization, high-resolution media workflows, the Internet of Things, and other applications driven by modern QNAP NAS solutions."

The 12TB versions of IronWolf, IronWolf Pro and BarraCuda Pro are now shipping to customers worldwide.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I could really use one of these right now.. except I'll be fine with 10tb Barracuda released previously.

I wonder if I'll live long enough to say "12TB isn't nearly enough".

System Name Zabanya
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-E
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2x 16 GB G Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Seagate Firecuda 520 2 TB, , 2x 18 TB, 3x 20 TB = total 88,71 TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850, LG C1 55 OLED
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX NR-646, RHA L1 DACAMP, Sennheiser HD-599
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Mouse Roccat Kone XP
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
I could really use one of these right now.. except I'll be fine with 10tb Barracuda released previously.

I wonder if I'll live long enough to say "12TB isn't nearly enough".
I have a Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB Pro and that has only about 700 GB of space left so i plan on getting one of the new 12 TB Seagate HDD´s some time early next year and i am going to move the data on the 10 TB over to that

Filling up a HDD even a 12 TB is not hard to to if you got a ton on stuff already so a "12TB isn't nearly enough". is not far off for some of us

I cant have more then 3 HDD´s in my PC case unless i install the second HDD cage but that will block most of the air flow into the case so i have rather have 3 really big HDD´s instead of 4 or more smaller ones

Got an old 6 TB WD Green an 8 TB WD Red and a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB so i only got 22 TB of total space

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
12 TB but damn how long does it take rebuild data if this fails, or how much you data you will lose.

lol thats my entire NAS in a single drive :laugh:

Last edited:
How many non enterprise drives, outside of firecuda, have 5 years warranty?

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

WD blacks have one. That's all I know personally.

edit: Err...if you mean any brand.

Last edited:
System Name Zabanya
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-E
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2x 16 GB G Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage Seagate Firecuda 520 2 TB, , 2x 18 TB, 3x 20 TB = total 88,71 TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850, LG C1 55 OLED
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX NR-646, RHA L1 DACAMP, Sennheiser HD-599
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Mouse Roccat Kone XP
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
The Ironwolf Pro comes with a 5 years warranty as well as 2 years of free data recovery service which is why i went for a Pro instead of a normal Ironwolf

The Ironwolf Pro comes with a 5 years warranty as well as 2 years of free data recovery service which is why i went for a Pro instead of a normal Ironwolf
Surprisingly the ironwolf is just marginally cheaper with 2 years less warranty & no data recovery. I just need reliable drives in the 4~8TB range, maybe a couple at most, there's only two to choose from it seems!

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Having two of these in RAID1 is always good for data storage.

Performance is not bad at all

I really wish TPU can do some HDD reviews from time to time.

Last edited:
Even these Barracuda Pro's have 5 year warranty.
Any experience with them, as storage drives? Unsurprisingly all of them are overpriced over here, at least on Amazon :mad:
Having two of these in RAID1 is always good for data storage.

Performance is not bad at all

I really wish TPU can do some HDD reviews from time to time.
Looks good, now if only I could get them without the price gouging.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Any experience with them, as storage drives? Unsurprisingly all of them are overpriced over here, at least on Amazon :mad: Looks good, now if only I could get them without the price gouging.

HDD price is still too high. When these 10TB/12TB drives come close to $200 it would be a lot better. Not sure if that is ever possible though.

Any experience with them, as storage drives? Unsurprisingly all of them are overpriced over here, at least on Amazon :mad: Looks good, now if only I could get them without the price gouging.
I dont buy from Amazon or any other online shop, local dealers only. I just have a pair of 8TB Ironwolf for in my NAS and so far pretty happy with it.

Last edited: