• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

German Company to Sell Binned Core i7 8700K With 99.9% Silver Heatspreader

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
I would be quite damn happy with the chip at the stock speeds since hell, even at stock speeds the Core i7 8700K would be faster than my current Ivy Bridge Core i5 3570K @ 4.4 GHz. I can't get my chip to clock higher.
Maybe you should delidd your CPU since it's not soldered. I think higher clocks are possible after delidding.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
That doesn't mean you can't bin them again. Intel/AMD will do coarse binning and find chips that do 4.7GHz/4.1GHz to sell as 8700k/1800x, but companies like caseking and siliconlottery will sift through those again to find the ones that do 5.0/4.2.
Absolutely correct. And there's nothing wrong with this as it takes the guess work out of the equation for the consumers.
Of course, I was just hoping to clarify that every processor is binned, as some users don't seem to be aware of this...

Gonna try to reply to as much as possible

Point is, if someone at a shop is picking out the best ones , and therein testing the one i might buy to make sure i got a shit one and that they definitely get more for the silicon gold ,then im not buying that product off them ,and due to this practice I would buy a packaged box with a bit of mystery and luck involved in the purchase, and less money.

And from what pile do they fill their oem pcs without der8haur branding?.

We have B2B Partners that get used B-Stock at a reduced price. No used items would be sold again to end customers. That would simply be fraud and against the law in Germany.

Don't take everything you read here seriously man. We're sort of a free for all in the comments section... well almost anyways. :)

I'm the newsposter who covered your VRM issue BTW, no longer work here atm but did cover it. It is decidedly not "debunked" despite how people may like to spin it. What would be more correct to say is it may not matter to the casual user, but that is NOT debunking it.

Despite our free for all nature, we regulars here at TPU appreciate a man who can argue his point too. And I agree with you there that the heatsinks were an issue, and the proof is in the replacements, so to speak.

Likewise, I hope you won't take my criticism of your product with silver as being an awful heatsink material as anything other than that: Constructive criticism. It's not like silver is the only option you offer anyways.

Thanks for stopping in. :)

Not taking it too serious :) Sometimes people are still over the top. It's usually even worse on YouTube tho lol.

I agree that some parts of the VRM Disaster video were a bit over the top and/or not explained well enough. The 2nd video with all the clarification should have been included in the first video already. I think that would've prevented a lot.
Fact is that we have/had quite a lot of problems in the past at Caseking with insufficient VRM cooling in our systems. Especially when you have cases with not so good air flow and using AIOs. Forwarded that multiple times to the different vendors and things just got worse and worse.
I'm glad that it's going in the right direction now tho.

I really don't see why you need to defend yourself here. You found a niche in the market, so why the hell not.

Thanks man :) Appreciate that.

I would be interested in hearing his explanation of what happens to bin these chips and just as importantly where the sub grade chips end up.

Playing fair after a think they could be grading their process rather than the chips.

For example and explanation , they may not necessarily bin the best chips out of a thousand (this is hypothetical remember that), instead relying on their process (delid tim and Hs) to garauntee it will hit (their )spec , leaving no bad(persay) chips to sell n channel.

It would be nice to know how they are doing this.

I am fine with doing this and its premium from a consumer point of view, i would not buy one but i get why some would, but it's the question of how they bin that concerns me enough that id only buy packaged processors off caseking if i was buying, which to be fair im not.

See the reply to the first quote

+1

Considering the difference between coppe and silver as far as heat passing through it isn't much... you wonder if the expense is actually justified.

It's a premium product. Ofc the difference is only few °C but we also offer 5.2 GHz with stock IHS so it's just for people who want the best of the best no matter of the costs.

If I understand @der8auer and the OP correctly, they test the chips First, and determine what they will reach comfortably.

THEN, they delid and repaste only those which meet the criteria. The others don't get delidded, since it is for the sake of cooling he is doing it after.

Regardless, they can't be new CPU anymore, but I'm sure he would not sell them as such.

That's not correct. We order CPUs for binning/System Integration and they are treated completely different from the normal B2C business. All of the CPUs for binning get laser engraved first depending on the SKUs we are working on. So for example a CK Crown for delidded CPUs but not pretested. Pretested CPUs would get a "der8auer Advanced Pretested" logo.
Then we take the CPUs and delid them all at once and replace TIM with Liquid Metal. Simply because there is often a production variation from Intel and we have to make sure we don't miss and good CPUs. The behavior of delidded CPUs is also different from stock CPUs. Delidding often helps to lower the vCore by another 40-50 mV. Also it helps to make sure we don't run into any temperature limit. A CPU running with stock tim at 5.2 GHz would always hit 90°C+ and would hardly be stable in these conditions. Temperature helps a lot in terms of stability.

So as the CPUs are already engraved and delidded it's absolutely obvious that they can't go back to the normal B2C market. That's why we have B2B partners that get the "trash" at a reduced price and the loss of this is obviously calculated in the price of the pretested chips.

Hope this clarified things a bit :)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)

We have B2B Partners that get used B-Stock at a reduced price. No used items would be sold again to end customers. That would simply be fraud and against the law in Germany.

Not taking it too serious :) Sometimes people are still over the top. It's usually even worse on YouTube tho lol.

I agree that some parts of the VRM Disaster video were a bit over the top and/or not explained well enough. The 2nd video with all the clarification should have been included in the first video already. I think that would've prevented a lot.
Fact is that we have/had quite a lot of problems in the past at Caseking with insufficient VRM cooling in our systems. Especially when you have cases with not so good air flow and using AIOs. Forwarded that multiple times to the different vendors and things just got worse and worse.

It's a premium product. Ofc the difference is only few °C but we also offer 5.2 GHz with stock IHS so it's just for people who want the best of the best no matter of the costs.

That's not correct. We order CPUs for binning/System Integration and they are treated completely different from the normal B2C business. All of the CPUs for binning get laser engraved first depending on the SKUs we are working on. So for example a CK Crown for delidded CPUs but not pretested. Pretested CPUs would get a "der8auer Advanced Pretested" logo.
Then we take the CPUs and delid them all at once and replace TIM with Liquid Metal. Simply because there is often a production variation from Intel and we have to make sure we don't miss and good CPUs. The behavior of delidded CPUs is also different from stock CPUs. Delidding often helps to lower the vCore by another 40-50 mV. Also it helps to make sure we don't run into any temperature limit. A CPU running with stock tim at 5.2 GHz would always hit 90°C+ and would hardly be stable in these conditions. Temperature helps a lot in terms of stability.

So as the CPUs are already engraved and delidded it's absolutely obvious that they can't go back to the normal B2C market. That's why we have B2B partners that get the "trash" at a reduced price and the loss of this is obviously calculated in the price of the pretested chips.

Yes, it clarifies a lot, and is much different than was reported. Thanks for the time to make it clearer! :)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I remember I've paid tiny premium for a D0 stepping of Core i7 920 back in the day. It was like 20€ premium, but it was worth it imo.

Main question her is, why doesn't Intel use top of the line thermal compound and charge I don't know, 15€ more? Surely such tiny premium would still give them massive profit margin on each CPU (where they use cheap generic crap and charge nothing extra for it) while giving users better thermals than with crappy generic paste.

I mean, people don't realize that what Intel is doing is essentially causing you to effectively use 2 layers of thermal compound. The more of this crap you stack, the worse things are. Back in the day of 25W and 60W top end CPU's it didn't even matter. But now with 6+ cores and really high clocks, every little matters. Not to mention heatspreaders came later, in the beginning all CPU's were "delided" from factory. They all had direct contact with the cooler.

Ok, currently the 8700K can be overclocked to 5.0 (ON AIR). Temps are around 75 degrees. So if they spend more money and charge you $15 more for the CPU, the temp drops to about 65 degrees. What does that get you? You still can't really overclock to 5.1 ON AIR even with the better thermal interface. You'll need a binned cpu and more voltage.

They are not going to charge everyone $15 more just so some people can get a better overclock.

Gonna try to reply to as much as possible... Hope this clarified things a bit :)
As suggested in previous posts, 99.9 Silver will oxidize/tarnish over time. What is your solution to Silver's tendency to oxidize? Are you applying another surface compound to prevent such a problem? And how will it prevent oxidation due to oxygen permeation?

Can we get a "know your der8auer better" AMA session on TPU? Also do you ship to Asia :)

why "derbauer".... after his publicity stunt on the Core i9 + high VRM temps that got debunked, I doubt ppl will spend 700 Euros for a binned chip with his name on it... Rather let RNGezus decide my silicon luck.

It wasn't debunked, it is a real issue when OCing due to power consumption and poor heatsink design on certain motherboards

Where are the ones with golden heatspreaders? :p:D
I may have to wait a liitle longer then....:ohwell:

Silver is a better thermal conductor than gold, but if you just want bling, just gold plate your existing one and dont pay a premium for a binned/delid