• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

YouTube Red 3 month free trial a scam?

D

Deleted member 67555

Actually, now that you've verified your music is costing you $15 a month, I don't think anything glitched. I really don't get why they even say a free trial of YT Red includes Google Play access, even if they mean just access to the database, vs free streaming, because considering they're selling GP as a subscription service, you'd think they'd offer access to it at any time for those wanting to buy music off it.

As for YT Red, although I DO hate the ads, I find all I ever have to do is disable annotations and then just click once to close the ad, then the whole video runs ad free after that. Yes, the more popular ones also have a commercial intro you can disable after 5 sec, but the entire ads are never actually forced on you. At most you're waiting 6 sec to get past them, and it takes half that long just to go fullscreen and select res.

Aside from that the content YT Red supposedly adds is not worth watching. Much of it is a lot of older videos that are low res that happen to be of certain bands and such. In fact since they've heavily monetized YT, I can't even find most of the good concert footage I've seen before, whether using regular YT or YT Red.

DOES somebody have to pay for it to support these bands, no. These bands still get tons of money from concert tours and album sales. Google gets most of the money from this service, not the bands. They are like glorified music studios, which in the music industry are akin to game publishers, and the worst part of it.
1) You can access GP to purchase whatever they offer at any time...They do offer Free Services as well such as Google Radio which works like Pandora,that is an option in GP MUSIC, they also give PILOT episodes away free on Movies and TV.
Mostly everything but RED content is available with ads on YT...RED content may or may not just the YT originals...I say that because I've posted video links in the past but people complained all they seen was an some reason why they couldn't watch the video while it was fine for me.
2) Seamless transition into the next selected content is worth it...Google does have a bad habit of advertising directly to you and that is not always appropriate for children.

3) Qello....100% them and very very thin legal rights that need challenged.

5) Alan Walker and a Plethora of artists disagree with that statement...Metallica used to agree with that...but age...shit gets a lot harder

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
1) You can access GP to purchase whatever they offer at any time...They do offer Free Services as well such as Google Radio which works like Pandora,that is an option in GP MUSIC, they also give PILOT episodes away free on Movies and TV.
Mostly everything but RED content is available with ads on YT...RED content may or may not just the YT originals...I say that because I've posted video links in the past but people complained all they seen was an some reason why they couldn't watch the video while it was fine for me.
2) Seamless transition into the next selected content is worth it...Google does have a bad habit of advertising directly to you and that is not always appropriate for children.

3) Qello....100% them and very very thin legal rights that need challenged.

5) Alan Walker and a Plethora of artists disagree with that statement...Metallica used to agree with that...but age...shit gets a lot harder
1) Which validates my point. Why emphasize access to Google Play as a perk of YT Red when the reality is the public in general has access to it all the time anyway? All they're really doing by saying this is trying to get people that aren't aware it exists to buy GP subscriptions on top of their YT Red subscriptions.

2) I disagree. I'm sure YTaholics might agree with you, but honestly, YT is not interesting enough to those of us with more constructive things to do to be wasting lots of time on it. For most gamers, it only exists as a way to upload your gameplay videos, and once in a while watch the ones others make. While doing that I don't see 3 sec added to my screen sizing and res selecting as laboriously tedious as you make it sound, esp if the alternative is throwing away $10 every month. Hell, that's $120 a year, or $360 for the average 3 yr upgrade cycle, and would go a long ways toward topping up your gaming hardware instead.

3) Not really sure what you're replying to here. Try quoting maybe. Perhaps that ad free viewing is making you a bit lazy? :cry:

4) Metallica no longer agree with that statement because they finally grew up and realized it wasn't how people use the internet that was affecting their profits, it was their own creative decline and substance abuse. The only halfway decent album they've put out since the black album is Hardwired, and even that doesn't begin to compare to their early and peak stuff. At least they're not sulking in denial anymore.

Seriously, if you think bands are affected much by a lack of profits from services like GP, you don't know much about the music industry. If that were the case a lot of them would just sit back and bask in the luxury without touring. They're more affected by spewing public hate speak at the poor accessing their content online, like Lars was before he grew some balls and owned up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Actually I cancelled the subscription right after signing up because I wasn't interested in paying anything and only wanted the 3 free months, which you get regardless of when you cancel.

Sorry to dust off this old thread, but I thought it necessary to update. As I said in the above quote, I DID cancel this service shortly after signing up for the trial, and got confirmation it was indeed cancelled, only to be billed $11 the day after the 3 month period (1/12/18). Furthermore the YouTube Red staff didn't listen at all to me on the phone. Sure they agreed to refund, after my bank already offered to, but I will not remove the block for Google and YT R from my debit card.

These guys act like they are never making mistakes, talking over you when you try to explain things to them or if you suggest there's a communication problem, which only makes it clear there is. There are Google links and YouTube videos of people being charged during their YT R trial period, and showing people how to cancel a trial.

So I'm giving a head's up warning to anyone getting sucked into one of their "free" trials. If you cancel it, make SURE to check that they don't bill you.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
YouTube is pretty much done anyway

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I don't really have a problem with YouTube, just YouTube Red. As far as I'm concerned YouTube will continue to be a viable way of posting and accessing user made videos for some time to come. YouTube Red though looks to be a scam to me.

Youtube is a bit of a mess right now, but anything but done. And let's face facts, there isn't anything else like it on the net. TwitchTV is glitchy as hell and streams don't load 90% of the time, Facebook is a joke and what else is there? Red is good for those who ad-block and want to contribute, like me.

On the Google Play side, I've never had any problems. All my music is downloaded DRM-free and the movies/TV shows can be converted with the right tools. I love it. Much better than anything else out there, IMHO.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Youtube is a bit of a mess right now, but anything but done. And let's face facts, there isn't anything else like it on the net. TwitchTV is glitchy as hell and streams don't load 90% of the time...

OMG, Twitch is so bad. As many times as I've cursed at the oft unpredictable censoring of YouTube regarding background music I've added to my vids, Twitch by comparison seems literally uncensored. A disabled friend whom passed away recently used to fall prey to sitting and watching for hours on end obscene content of users capturing their insanity on Twitch. I much prefer such a service at least tries to contain such things.

D

Deleted member 67555

YouTube is not dead or even dieing..far from it.... Android TV Oreo....
I would be asking for a high level flush of my account... Something obviously wrong in their system.
-something somewhat similar-
I cancelled Hulu and I'm still being charged but at a reduced rate with added premium services....I'm not going to complain about it... So.. You know..