• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Releases CPU+VRM Monoblock for ASUS X399 Threadripper Motherboards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EK Water Blocks, the Slovenia-based premium computer liquid cooling gear manufacturer proves its market leadership once again by releasing the world's first Socket TR4 based monoblock made for several ASUS X399 motherboards. The EK-FB ASUS ROG ZE RGB Monoblock has an integrated 4-pin Digital RGB LED strip which makes it compatible with ASUS Aura Sync, thus offering a full lighting customization experience.

Designed and engineered in cooperation with ASUS, this monoblock uses award-winning EK-Supremacy EVO cooling engine to ensure best possible CPU cooling. This water block directly cools AMD Socket TR4 type CPU, as well as the power regulation (MOSFET) module. Liquid flows directly over all critical areas, providing the enthusiasts with a great solution for high and stable overclocks. Using such a monoblock gets rid of the small fan that can be found on some X399 motherboards, hidden under the I/O cover.

This is a complete all-in-one (CPU and motherboard) liquid cooling solution for three ASUS AMD X399 Chipset based motherboards that support AMD Socket TR4 AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors. This monoblock is compatible with the following ASUS motherboards:
  • ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
  • ASUS PRIME X399-A
  • ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming

This X399 platform based monoblock also comes with a redesigned bigger cold plate. The new design ensures that the monoblock has mechanical contact with the entire Ryzen Threadripper processor IHS, thus enabling better thermal transfer. The base of the monoblock is made of nickel-plated electrolytic copper while the top is made of quality acrylic glass material. The main nickel plated mounting screws and brass screw-in standoffs are pre-installed so that the installation process is quick and easy.

The monoblock is equipped with a Digital RGB LED strip that connects to the dedicated digital 4-pin header on the motherboard. ASUS X399 series motherboards use the most advanced LED system on the market allowing a new world of illumination possibilities. Using the digital LED header, users can individually address color to each LED on the monoblocks integrated Digital LED strip. The LED strip cover can easily be removed for adjusting the cable orientation or replacing the Digital LED strip with an ordinary LED strip or any other custom solution as well

Availability and pricing
EK-FB ASUS ROG ZE RGB Monoblock is made in Slovenia, and it is available for pre-order through EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network. All pre-orders will start shipping 2nd of November, 2017. MSRP: 119.95€.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Sweet, been waiting for this monoblock to come out!

System Name Prime Shiz
Processor Intel i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.31v
Motherboard MSI Z97A Gaming 6
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866MHz 16GB @ 2200 CL10
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB, Corsair Force 3 240GB, Crucial BX100 500GB
Display(s) Asus VS24AH-P
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essense STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire TK reds
Interesting how that block fits all three motherboards which indicates they use the same VRM setup/PCB layout. Not totally surprising as threadripper is a pretty niche market segment. But you can get top end Zenith Extreme components on your X399-A motherboard which is nice.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Now how about one for the Asrock pro? :) Maybe an option for a liquid temp probe instead of the LED?

The cooling "engine" fin area doesn't look any different size wise. It doesn't look like it was made specifically for X399.

Good to see that there is an option (VRMs get toasty) still I'm waiting for monoblock from Bitspower.

EK really cheaped-out on the ordinary block for TR4, basically turning ordinary Supremacy from Intel platform into AMD. Micro channel area is exactly the same just plate is bigger. And that points to simply ignoring the fact that TR4 has much larger IHS which cannot be cooled efficiently. It was done ASAP just to dump product on the market. This mononoblock shares same deficiency with smaller brother. Microchannel area is tiny with relation to massive IHS.

There are good few degrees difference between cheapo Supremacy and Phanteks Glacier 399a. I love it. 399a looks epic (tho I removed RGB strips first!), weighs a good whack, microchannels basically cover whole cooling plate and block is universal while EK offerings are directional (specified Inlet and Outlet). With number crunching 1920x hovering at max 45C (Tdie), while on Supremacy I was easily hitting 50+ C - 4GHz stable.

Good to see that there is an option (VRMs get toasty) still I'm waiting for monoblock from Bitspower.

EK really cheaped-out on the ordinary block for TR4, basically turning ordinary Supremacy from Intel platform into AMD. Micro channel area is exactly the same just plate is bigger. And that points to simply ignoring the fact that TR4 has much larger IHS which cannot be cooled efficiently. It was done ASAP just to dump product on the market. This mononoblock shares same deficiency with smaller brother. Microchannel area is tiny with relation to massive IHS.

There are good few degrees difference between cheapo Supremacy and Phanteks Glacier 399a. I love it. 399a looks epic (tho I removed RGB strips first!), weighs a good whack, microchannels basically cover whole cooling plate and block is universal while EK offerings are directional (specified Inlet and Outlet). With number crunching 1920x hovering at max 45C (Tdie), while on Supremacy I was easily hitting 50+ C - 4GHz stable.
EKWB are looking like the Razer of the watercooling to me.

Interesting how that block fits all three motherboards which indicates they use the same VRM setup/PCB layout. Not totally surprising as threadripper is a pretty niche market segment. But you can get top end Zenith Extreme components on your X399-A motherboard which is nice.
It's not that niche. It's selling very well. I've twice seen Newegg's listing go "out of stock".
EKWB are looking like the Razer of the watercooling to me.
Is that a good or bad thing to you? Seems like a good thing to me as Razor consistently makes high quality goods. EK has earned a similar reputation.

This water-block seems very cool! [pun intended]

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I can't believe it. They actually made a decent looking monoblock. That's something new.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Is that a good or bad thing to you? Seems like a good thing to me as Razor consistently makes high quality goods. EK has earned a similar reputation.

This water-block seems very cool! [pun intended]

The two or 3 Razer products I had all failed soon after warranty expiration ... they seem to be all bling, no substance to me.

Are there any valid reviews that compare the EK TR4 Supremacy with other TR4 blocks?
I have seen a few blocks with the fin area been really huge.... but what good does a huge
fin area do when there is zero liquid channeled to the far ends of the fins relative to the inlet
hole.
I am seeing people complaining about the EK block but have seen no comparison review
done by a professional reviewer.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Are there any valid reviews that compare the EK TR4 Supremacy with other TR4 blocks?
I have seen a few blocks with the fin area been really huge.... but what good does a huge
fin area do when there is zero liquid channeled to the far ends of the fins relative to the inlet
hole.
I am seeing people complaining about the EK block but have seen no comparison review
done by a professional reviewer.

Take it with a mound of salt. The poster you quoted is comparing a bottom barrel straight flow design block from the 90's to a jet plate design with EK and basically all the top makes. That says something...

The two or 3 Razer products I had all failed soon after warranty expiration ... they seem to be all bling, no substance to me.
Fair enough. Have not had that experience. Every Razer product I've crossed paths with has been rock solid, including a few laptops.

Last edited:

ironemos

Now how about one for the Asrock pro? :) Maybe an option for a liquid temp probe instead of the LED?

I wish!!! I personally have never seen an EK waterblock for an Asrock motherboard. They mainly do for Asus, some for Gigabyte and may be MSI. Bitspower has done some blocks for Asrock but I do like EK more. I believe Asrock is one of the best boards out there. It offers a perfect value and deserves more attention. Recently most Asrock Z170, Z270, and AM4 boards have been receiving good reviews from users and experts even better than Asus.

From some of their facebook posts its seems that X299 and X399 ASRock monoblocks are on their way. Even if you check with the EK configurator for some X399 mobos,
under monoblock it says "Coming soon".

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Fair enough. Have not had that experience. Every Razor product I've crossed paths with has been rock solid, including a few laptops.

Good to hear it's not all bad. It's "Razer" BTW, not Razor. Or are you a victim of auto-correct? ;)

@ironemos And ASRock seem to be the only ones putting faster NICs on board. Until on-board ones become faster the adoption of higher speeds will take longer and keep the higher prices IMO. The Aquantia drivers seem to be working fine now too. The ASRock TR actually has 3 NICs, 2 x Intel and 1 x 10Gbe Aquantia and is still cheaper than some of the competitors' boards. Factor in the cost of a separate 10Gbe NIC (or 5Gb in the case of the AM4 board) and they seem like a bargain.

ironemos

From some of their facebook posts its seems that X299 and X399 ASRock monoblocks are on their way. Even if you check with the EK configurator for some X399 mobos,
under monoblock it says "Coming soon".

Well that’s great news because I typically favor Asrock mobos. I almost never had any issue with them and I like their BIOS interface. I know that during the last 5 years I kept looking hard for EK blocks for any Asrock Mobo and I could find none. I just lost hope. It seems EK is finally realizing how popular Asrock is becoming ( at least in the US). Thanks for the info anyway.

solomonkariri

I'm also waiting for the Asrock Pro monoblock. Though I have no idea about the timeline.