• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Approximately 143 million in the U.S/Canada affected by breach into Equifax

Dude... that's a huge chunk of the population. Not sure why I missed this number before.
A little over half. And there are rumblings of information giving indication that the breach of data was not limited to citizens of the USA. Having already been the victim of identity fraud in the past, my advice to everyone stateside is to refuse to give out your SSN or other personal information to anyone who does not have a legal requirement to have it. I'm already a privacy "Guru" of sorts and am well prepared for this. Not everyone is however.

If you are a US citizen, I'd check to see if you might be effected here; https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/am-i-impacted/
It's down for an update ATM, but should be back up in a few hours. For everyone who's already checked, you might want to recheck as this update will include more information of those who might/will be affected.

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
If you are a US citizen, I'd check to see if you might be effected here; https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/am-i-impacted/
It's down for an update ATM, but should be back up in a few hours. For everyone who's already checked, you might want to recheck as this update will include more information of those who might/will be affected.

I don't use credit cards actually.. which is why I sort of ignored this news and missed that large number. I'd be royally pissed off though. I've had ATM Mastercard numbers stolen 4 or 5 times.

I don't use credit cards actually.. which is why I sort of ignored this news and missed that large number. I'd be royally pissed off though. I've had ATM Mastercard numbers stolen 4 or 5 times.
I don't think you understand, it wasn't just credit card numbers stolen. It's EVERYTHING! Your FULL name, every address you've lived at, every phone number you've ever had, every bank account, employment records, your social security number[!!!], EVERYTHING! This data breach is the biggest and most impactful in US history, perhaps[and very likely] world history. The people affected by this includes government and military personnel, leaders of industry etc. etc.. Few over the age of 35 are immune. This one breach has the potential to be the most serious data security problem ever known.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I don't think you understand, it wasn't just credit card numbers stolen. It's EVERYTHING! Your FULL name, every address you've lived at, every phone number you've ever had, every bank account, employment records, your social security number[!!!], EVERYTHING! This data breach is the biggest and most impactful in US history, perhaps[and very likely] world history. The people affected by this includes government and military personnel, leaders of industry etc. etc.. Few over the age of 35 are immune. This one breach has the potential to be the most serious data security problem ever known.

Damn OK. Will look more into it. Thanks.