• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPUs Bear Brunt of Ubisoft Deploying VMProtect Above Denuvo for AC:O

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
Out of curiosity, what do you consider opinion? That Witcher 3 has horseback riding that doesn't max out 4 CPU cores or that the AI in that video doesn't look above average?
I consider opinion: "CPUs Bear Brunt of Ubisoft Deploying VMProtect Above Denuvo for AC:O". You know... the thing which we are both commenting about.

Have you seen the draw distance and expanse of the game? Have you noticed that when it does the day/night cycle shifts how huge the level is and how much dynamic stuff is going on constantly? This game has an incredible amount of detail and AI which isn't being chopped off by a veil of haze or blocked into a small close-quarters-combat area.

See, for example @56 seconds:
so standing still in a town on a bridge with 100% CPU on 4 cores and 36% is normal? This is assuming the person didnt force CPU in some off clocking. (too many reports of high CPU for me to claim forged)

In a game menu with 60-80% CPU with nothing else showing.....How does a menu screen require 60-80% CPU o_O. Either DRM or a horribly designed game...either way....never buying

The proof is a well known respective cracker who is a credible expert who says the DRM is queued every time you move and more.

A well known credible cracker/programmer word vs a company......I'll go with the first person.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I haven't played, but I have my doubts it's AI is all that great. Their open worlds aren't very dynamic so far. Why would that change? I doubt it even reaches Bethesda's level of random kookiness. And if it did, it probably wouldn't need those boosted metacritic reviews.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
credible cracker
LOL, those two words...together.

I'm not saying Ubi is completely truthful here either, because something is wrong with performance. However, I'm more likely to believe results of people on this site who test the game.

As to Ubi, they are arrogant enough that if the 2nd DRM was actually to blame for the performance drop, they would tell us, and then tell us to "deal with it, it's because of pirates that we did it!"

Last edited:
System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
What is the users' dynamic resolution setting? A low framerate target setting will force low framerate and will still show high usage since the game will upscale all of its textures as high as possible in order to obtain the target framerate, buffer them in very high resolution, and then down-sample the output to match the monitor's resolution.

Users can purposely make their games appear to perform at low framerates with very high system loads if they choose settings which incorrectly match their systems' abilities. Basically, the game will always try to use all of their systems' resources and the lower they set the framerate targets, the more it will appear that something is wrong because the game will try to keep the load high even at low framerates. The benefit to this, of course, is that the appearance is improved.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1759689
What is the maximum framerate of Assassin's Creed Origins on PC?
As on other platforms, Assassin's Creed Origins on PC uses a technology called Dynamic Resolution Rendering that adjusts the resolution on the fly to ensure a framerate as close as possible to the targeted one - in most cases it's totally invisible for the user. On PC, players can actually choose what baseline framerate they want to target: 30, 45, or 60 fps. They can also select their maximum framerate between 30, 45, 60, or 90 fps, or decide to completely uncap it.

Is it possible to turn off Dynamic Resolution Rendering?
Yes, by turning off the "Adaptive Quality" option in the menus - this will in fact deactivate Dynamic Resolution Rendering.

If there is indeed a problem, the most likely culprit and solution is that they will need to fix bugs and/or tune their dynamic resolution engine and/or game in general. This DRM stuff is completely unfounded. Can anyone provide PROOF of the DRM conspiracy!?!? Nope.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm completely unfamiliar with Ubisoft's work, but does DRM run in the same process as the main game? Because if it doesn't, that your easy way of settling this for good.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
What is the users' dynamic resolution setting? A low framerate target setting will force low framerate and will still show high usage since the game will upscale all of its textures as high as possible in order to obtain the target framerate, buffer them in very high resolution, and then down-sample the output to match the monitor's resolution.

Users can purposely make their games appear to perform at low framerates with very high system loads if they choose settings which incorrectly match their systems' abilities. Basically, the game will always try to use all of their systems' resources and the lower they set the framerate targets, the more it will appear that something is wrong because the game will try to keep the load high even at low framerates. The benefit to this, of course, is that the appearance is improved.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1759689

If there is indeed a problem, the most likely culprit and solution is that they will need to fix bugs and/or tune their dynamic resolution engine and/or game in general. This DRM stuff is completely unfounded. Can anyone provide PROOF of the DRM conspiracy!?!? Nope.

IIRC, the first ver of Denuvo sucked some CPU cycles and it was noticeable. It's not a stretch of the imagination to assume this (true, proof would be nice). And it's Ubi, they're going to get blamed by default, b/c they're such dumb pricks.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
IIRC, the first ver of Denuvo sucked some CPU cycles and it was noticeable.
That has never been proven either. After many years, it is still up for debate. Let's just say that the difference appears to be negligible.

Last edited: