• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

StarCraft 2 Becomes Free-to-Play Starting November 14

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I wish WoW went F2P...

Been subbed from February 2006 till August 2017.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Too bad they aren't fixing the shitty code that powers this game and now that the game is going free the chances of it getting fixed are less than they were before. The game engine is largely a single-threaded beast (and a bad one at that) so for those people who bought into the current generation AMD Ryzen chips they're going to have a shitty experience playing this game (good luck playing at less than 30 FPS). The only way this game plays well is if you have high clock speeds.

And now you know why I didn't go AMD Ryzen with the current generation of the chips, the game runs very poorly on it. This game was made back in the days of the old Pentiums where clock speeds were king, not core counts. Sure, core counts are great today but back when this game was made all that mattered was clock speeds. Under the hood of this game is a game engine that's very poorly optimized for anything but high clock speed chips.

And yes, I still like playing this game.

Oh my where to start,
I'm on ryzen 7 1700 and I bought starcraft 2 among other games and all I can say is that it runs smooth as butter. Also Ryzen 7 1700 is a cold 65watts chip, but I'm not an overclocker anyway.
Just to see if SC2 is single threaded as you said I played an intense 1vs1 against AI and here are the results:

There are at least 3 cores intensively in use and two cores with a bit of use. What you said is out of reality... "the game runs very poorly on it" and "AMD Ryzen chips they're going to have a shitty experience playing this game".

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
You're the first one to say that, every person on Blizzard's own forums and Reddit said that Starcraft 2 was single-threaded. Nearly everyone said that if you plan on playing Starcraft 2 you have no choice but to pay the Intel tax. That's the primary reason why I've not gone Ryzen, the posts on Blizzard's forums and Reddit.

Do I necessarily want to pay the Intel tax? Hell no, who would willingly pay it? Certainly not I! But based upon what I've read (other than your own post) everyone said that I had no choice. Nearly everyone said that I had to pay the Intel tax if I were to get anywhere close to decent game performance with such a shitty game engine.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Too bad they aren't fixing the shitty code that powers this game and now that the game is going free the chances of it getting fixed are less than they were before. The game engine is largely a single-threaded beast (and a bad one at that) so for those people who bought into the current generation AMD Ryzen chips they're going to have a shitty experience playing this game (good luck playing at less than 30 FPS). The only way this game plays well is if you have high clock speeds.

And now you know why I didn't go AMD Ryzen with the current generation of the chips, the game runs very poorly on it. This game was made back in the days of the old Pentiums where clock speeds were king, not core counts. Sure, core counts are great today but back when this game was made all that mattered was clock speeds. Under the hood of this game is a game engine that's very poorly optimized for anything but high clock speed chips.

And yes, I still like playing this game.

Wings of Liberty was launched in 2010. By 2010 we had those: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmere_(microarchitecture)
A little googling never hurt anyone ;)

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Do you know how much Googling I did? I spent months after Ryzen's launch reading hundreds of forum and sub-Reddit threads on the topic. Nearly every one said that to avoid AMD Ryzen and that you just had to pay the Intel tax to play this game. I can't imagine that the people in those threads were being paid by Intel to say that so I figured that with that many people saying that it had to be true.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Excuse me for being wrong, go ahead and tell the literally hundreds of users on both Reddit and Blizzard's own forums that they're wrong as well because that's where I got my information from.

And before you say that I should have asked here, believe me... I DID!!! Nobody answered me, nobody told me anything. It was like this game didn't exist to those who hang out on these forums. Wait, I take that back... I had one person ask me why I still played that old game. I asked repeatedly even, nobody gave me answer so I turned to other sources that told me to avoid Ryzen and that I had to pay the Intel tax.

Now that the record has been set straight I may look at Ryzen again.

Now if someone can get me benchmarks for Diablo 3, another such game that hundreds of people over at Blizzard's forums said that would perform badly on Ryzen. And before you ask me why I still play that game the answer is... because I do!

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Excuse me for being wrong, go ahead and tell the literally hundreds of users on both Reddit and Blizzard's own forums that they're wrong as well because that's where I got my information from.
I have no problem to say all those guys are wrong. I also don't believe anything anyone say.

And before you say that I should have asked here, believe me... I DID!!! Nobody answered me, nobody told me anything. It was like this game didn't exist to those who hang out on these forums. Wait, I take that back... I had one person ask me why I still played that old game. I asked repeatedly even, nobody gave me answer so I turned to other sources that told me to avoid Ryzen and that I had to pay the Intel tax.

I'm not sure why nobody answered your question here. I would have answer something like "go any route, but intel has better single threaded performance by a low margin against Ryzen"

I know that old games are fascinating even today, Diablo 3 is among those golden jewels. I play Anno 2070 which was relased quite a while ago.
We are not talking about the intel tax or whatever, we are talking about the concept you put over the table: You believe that with Ryzen a 2010 game would be completely unplayable and the intel route is the way to go... ? Only the Sith believe in absolutes.
I can benchmark Diablo 3, just let me see if I can borrow a copy...

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
No, it's not, considering he qualified it with "one of."

It's an insanely popular game, like it or hate it.

He's saying it is and I'm saying not anymore. I won't deny that it was popular worldwide at one time, but presently it is not. Going f2p is a last ditch attempt to shore up the waning playerbase for those living far away from the region's where starcraft is pretty much a religion. It's in a spot where enough people play that keeps the game alive but the distribution of players leave many left out connecting to each other seriously high latency.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
@trparky

I played wings of liberty on a phenom II x4, 8gb ram and a hd5870, maxed out, no framedrops. I played the 2 expansions on an ivy bridge i7 quad core, 16gb ram, gtx970, maxed out, no framedrops. I played multiplayer for some time on the ivy bridge, even in my laptop which is an ivy bridge I5 with 8gb of ram and a gt640m (had to lower details on the laptop), still no framedrops in online games. I refuse to accept what you say because that would mean Ryzen is slower than phenom II and ivy bridge and I don't think that's the case. Something is not right in what you say.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Do you know how much Googling I did? I spent months after Ryzen's launch reading hundreds of forum and sub-Reddit threads on the topic. Nearly every one said that to avoid AMD Ryzen and that you just had to pay the Intel tax to play this game. I can't imagine that the people in those threads were being paid by Intel to say that so I figured that with that many people saying that it had to be true.
Well, it would seem your googling skills need an urgent upgrade, because here's WoW perfectly playable at 4k, 3 years ago: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280X_Gaming_6_GB/21.html

what i choose to spend my money on is my choice lol

I have no problem to say all those guys are wrong. I also don't believe anything anyone say.

I'm not sure why nobody answered your question here. I would have answer something like "go any route, but intel has better single threaded performance by a low margin against Ryzen"

I know that old games are fascinating even today, Diablo 3 is among those golden jewels. I play Anno 2070 which was relased quite a while ago.
We are not talking about the intel tax or whatever, we are talking about the concept you put over the table: You believe that with Ryzen a 2010 game would be completely unplayable and the intel route is the way to go... ? Only the Sith believe in absolutes.
I can benchmark Diablo 3, just let me see if I can borrow a copy...

He's saying it is and I'm saying not anymore. I won't deny that it was popular worldwide at one time, but presently it is not. Going f2p is a last ditch attempt to shore up the waning playerbase for those living far away from the region's where starcraft is pretty much a religion. It's in a spot where enough people play that keeps the game alive but the distribution of players leave many left out connecting to each other seriously high latency.

@trparky

I played wings of liberty on a phenom II x4, 8gb ram and a hd5870, maxed out, no framedrops. I played the 2 expansions on an ivy bridge i7 quad core, 16gb ram, gtx970, maxed out, no framedrops. I played multiplayer for some time on the ivy bridge, even in my laptop which is an ivy bridge I5 with 8gb of ram and a gt640m (had to lower details on the laptop), still no framedrops in online games. I refuse to accept what you say because that would mean Ryzen is slower than phenom II and ivy bridge and I don't think that's the case. Something is not right in what you say.

Well, it would seem your googling skills need an urgent upgrade, because here's WoW perfectly playable at 4k, 3 years ago: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280X_Gaming_6_GB/21.html

You know, I never really considered that he could be bored and trolling until just now.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
You know, I never really considered that he could be bored and trolling until just now.
Um no, not trolling. I just reported on what I read several months back. I searched under the keywords "starcraft 2 ryzen" which is a simple enough Google query. I read not only the European forums but the US-based Blizzard forums and both of them said that people should go with Intel if playing this game. I even went to the Starcraft 2 sub-Reddit and they too said that I would be better off going Intel.

God damn it, I could have built a Ryzen system by now but I've instead been saving up the nearly $1600 that I would need to build a proper Intel-based system. Then again, I still need that $1600 if I were to go Ryzen and upgrade to a 2K monitor with GSync but by then the new Ryzen chips will be out next year and quite possibly whatever is going to be the upgrade to the GTX 1080 Ti card.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Wasn't it because of the unlocked framerate in the menu? GPUs were pushed to max?

Yes. The menu didn't have a frame rate limiter so because it was "easy" to render, it ran as fast as possible and it burnt out GPUs that didn't have good cooling and air flow in cases.

System Name Utopia Planitia
Processor AMD FX-8350 (Vishera) (Testing my new build AMD Ryzen 1800X) Will change this after :P
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46
Memory 4x Kingmax 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) 1x MSI Radeon RX 480, 1x XFX Radeon RX 480.
Storage SSD + 2x 2TB Seagate HDDs
Display(s) 3x BenQ GL2460
Case Irrelevant
Audio Device(s) Integrated :P
Power Supply Irrelevant since it works flawlesly
Mouse Irrelevant
Keyboard Irrelevant
Software Windows 10 x64
I played the 1st campaign, that was decent, maybe boring half the time but well ok. I wasn't really interested in the 2nd campaign but I should finish it, and the 3rd... well... I have to finish it also :p MP is boring in anything above 1vs1, but ok since the balace is a mess anyway. Co-op is ok, I find it decent, well but not that interestesting since one has to buy some heroes... but I think it's the best part being played right now. To be honest I am still a big fan of Dune II, Total Annihilation and well old Settlers games and I don't mind playing SC II, but what annoys me the constant nerfing (called changes :p) they bring to the game. Also the engine is pretty lame, works on 1 thread, maybe in five years Blizzard can develop it to work for multiple cores, maybe. But it's a decent, well good game. There's not that many players playing it but everyone should try it since there's a very low number of RTS games in this moment.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I may give it a swing, but I was so ticked off about them originally offering the game in three different sales, that I promised I'd never buy it.

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
@trparky

I played the original campaign on a Pentium D 830, 2GB RAM and a crippled 9600GT...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Also the engine is pretty lame, works on 1 thread, maybe in five years Blizzard can develop it to work for multiple cores, maybe.

Now that I don't believe. ;)

Also, anyone can disable all cores but one and see if it runs as well as with more cores? I find it next to impossible that the game truly does not benefit at all from more cores. The same was said about Paradox Clausewitz engine games, but that is not correct at all.