• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Boss Raja Koduri Jumps Ship

As we reported back in September, Raja Koduri took a sabbatical leave from AMD's Radeon Technologies Group (RTG) to find himself. AMD CEO Lisa Su was left in charge during this time as Raja wasn't expected to return until December. However, our friends over at Hexus got their hands on a memo that Raja left to this team revealing his intentions to leave the company for good.

The memo is as follows:

'To my AMD family,

Forty is a significant number in history. It is a number representing transition, testing and change. I have just spent forty days away from the office going through such a transition. It was an important time with my family, and it also offered me a rare space for reflection. During this time I have come to the extremely difficult conclusion that it is time for me to leave RTG and AMD.

I have no question in my mind that RTG, and AMD, are marching firmly in the right direction as high-performance computing becomes ever-more-important in every aspect of our lives. I believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Vega, Navi and beyond, and I am incredibly proud of how far we have come and where we are going. The whole industry has stood up and taken notice of what we are doing. As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions.

I want to thank Lisa and the AET for enabling me to pursue my passion during the last four years at AMD, and especially the last two years with RTG. Lisa has my utmost respect for exhibiting the courage to enable me with RTG, for believing in me and for going out of her way to support me. I would also like to call out Mark Papermaster who brought me into AMD, for his huge passion for technology and for his relentless support through many difficult phases. And of course, I want to thank each and every one of my direct staff and my indirect staff who have worked so hard with me to build what we have now got. I am very proud of the strong leaders we have and I'm fully confident that they can execute on the compelling roadmap ahead.

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.

As I mentioned, leaving AMD and RTG has been an extremely difficult decision for me. But I felt it is the right one for me personally at this point. Time will tell. I will be following with great interest the progress you will make over the next several years.

On a final note, I have asked a lot of you in the last two years. You've always delivered. You've made me successful both personally and professionally, for which I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I have these final requests from you as I leave:

• Stay focused on the roadmap!
  • Deliver on your commitments!
  • Continue the culture of Passion, Persistence and Play!
  • Make AMD proud!
  • Make me proud!

Yours,
Raja

Lisa Su will continue to lead RTG until a suitable replacement for Raja is found.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Good riddance.

People can say whatever they want, but the way Radeon improved in last few years was pretty amazing. Especially on the software side which frankly sweeps the floor with outdated NVIDIA crap (I can't believe NV is still using this crap slow and ugly control panel they had on freaking Windows XP, 16 years ago). And Vega, if we ignore the fact it was quite a bit late, it is actually pretty decent and capable. And what lies ahead with Navi is what AMD was really waiting for. Vega was somewhat just a middle step. Lets see how it'll go.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
People can say whatever they want, but the way Radeon improved in last few years was pretty amazing. Especially on the software side which frankly sweeps the floor with outdated NVIDIA crap (I can't believe NV is still using this crap slow and ugly control panel they had on freaking Windows XP, 16 years ago). And Vega, if we ignore the fact it was quite a bit late, it is actually pretty decent and capable. And what lies ahead with Navi is what AMD was really waiting for. Vega was somewhat just a middle step. Lets see how it'll go.
A few more Polaris/Vega iterations and AMD will rule the GPU world. /s

Raja failed the expectation with Vega. I doubt that anyone could have done better than him, but still it was not a success. As he said, time will tell. Hopefully will the cash from Ryzen, AMD can lure a tech genius that can change the situation for Radeon.

Your eternal optimism for AMD never fails to impress. Vega a middle step? Only when a product fails to impress is when this statement comes up. Always looking ahead at the next product when the current one isn't up to snuff seems to never end for RTG recently...

Ryzen is great, AMD has a win, Radeon needs one bad, BAD.

I dislike NVidia for a lot of reasons but their products are just... well.. good and the drivers are as well. Until recently I never had any current experience with AMD Radeon drivers but holy shit my brother just got a RX560 and I pity him. So many problems, big and small, going straight from an Nvidia to an AMD GPU having it be so fresh in his mind, it's bad..

If Radeon has to follow in Nvidia's footsteps a little in order to keep up then I say go ahead, scrap what Raja was planning and start over, it worked for Ryzen time to do it for their GPUs

Oh and as far as I am concerned if software if functional and has a decent layout then it doesn't matter how it looks. ricer.. Fix the drivers first...

ppn

He failed to put 4096 bit bus on VEGA. Would have killed 1080 Ti and Xp even.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Now where was that other thread and who said he would be back? :p
Letter makes it pretty clear he was intending to come back but changed his mind. This is evidenced by the fact AMD has no replacement for him.

He failed to put 4096 bit bus on VEGA. Would have killed 1080 Ti and Xp even.
At substantially higher cost. Vega wasn't intended to be the Fury X of this generation.

He's just tired of being the scapegoat despite how little resources AMD had given to his team. Radeon would've been better in the hands of Intel or Samsung.

Also seems like he's joining Intel; basically what should've happened in the first place: Intel buying ATI and AMD joining forces with Nvidia. That would've been one hell of a battle.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
If he goes to intel, Radeon Buyout incoming.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Letter makes it pretty clear he was intending to come back but changed his mind. This is evidenced by the fact AMD has no replacement for him
Uhh huh... "sabbatical"

(Air quotes) :p

Lisa took over the reigns, cracked the whip and pointed the ship. Now, she brings someone in to lead dollowing the star she put in the sky. Raja heads off to Intel for AI. :p

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Sabbaticals are a thing for people that haven't had a vacation in a long time. Sabbaticals are different from typical vacations because someone officially steps in to take their place until they return (necessary due to the length). Su was the obvious choice for that because RTG hasn't even been separate for very long...it was under the CEO's control anyway. Frankly, I think Navi is unaffected by this change.

My hope that whomever replaces Raja returns focus to DirectX and Vulkan.

Last edited:
Now where was that other thread and who said he would be back? :p
Rats :pimp:

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I still don't understand what he did so badly. I don't keep up with this, but why do even AMD fans dislike him? Seems like supply and mining craze is a big problem, but that can't be predicted (this guy wouldn't even need a job if his prediction powers were that awesome).

Your eternal optimism for AMD never fails to impress. Vega a middle step? Only when a product fails to impress is when this statement comes up. Always looking ahead at the next product when the current one isn't up to snuff seems to never end for RTG recently...

Ryzen is great, AMD has a win, Radeon needs one bad, BAD.

I dislike NVidia for a lot of reasons but their products are just... well.. good and the drivers are as well. Until recently I never had any current experience with AMD Radeon drivers but holy shit my brother just got a RX560 and I pity him. So many problems, big and small, going straight from an Nvidia to an AMD GPU having it be so fresh in his mind, it's bad..

If Radeon has to follow in Nvidia's footsteps a little in order to keep up then I say go ahead, scrap what Raja was planning and start over, it worked for Ryzen time to do it for their GPUs

Oh and as far as I am concerned if software if functional and has a decent layout then it doesn't matter how it looks. ricer.. Fix the drivers first...

That's because you don't understand technology. It's not because Vega is bad, it's because we know what they've done with Ryzen (which is what makes it so good in a very large portion) and Navi will be employing similar tech. Making massive monolithic chips is difficult, expensive and has very low yields. What Navi will bring is making "big cheap" with high yields for lower price by "gluing" together smaller "cores". That's what Navi will be. Now, doing just this alone won't be enough as they need to also do something with GCN thing. It's great for compute, but it seems to really struggle with current games.

And saying NVIDIA has excellent drivers... if you'd only know what kind of bullshit problems I'm going through with NVIDIA for months now... And all connected to monumentally fucked up V-Sync logic. Horrible image tearing and corruption all over the place for videos in various V-Sync states. Something I never experienced on any Radeon for years. I mean, how can one fuck up V-Sync? Like, seriously? And yeah, NVIDIA Control Panel is garbage. It's buggy as hell, horrendously slow, loaded with dumb glitches all over the place and all this has existed for years. Just shows the QA levels at NVIDIA and how much their users give a F about quality and experience. I'd be furious to pay 800€ for a graphic card which is then controlled with such utter garbage UI. Which explains why I'm furious about it right here. When you have the fastest graphic card in the world and you still go and check RX Vega offerings (twice!), one might ask the question what's wrong with it... Yeah, it's ridiculously fast. When it works. When it doesn't (and that seems to be happening a lot), it's the biggest dumpster fire I've seen in last decade. At least their tech support does respond in a timely fashion and they aren't complete idiots like I'm used with most tech supports.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Sabbaticals are a thing for people that haven't had a vacation in a long time. Sabbaticals are different from typical vacations because someone officially steps in to take their place until they return (necessary due to the length). Su was the obvious choice for that because RTG hasn't even been separate for very long...it was under the CEO's control anyway. Frankly, I think Navi is unaffected by this change.

My hope that whomever replaces Raja returns focus to DirectX and Vulkan.
Yeah, navi will be mostly unaffected, i agree. Its too far down the pipe for major directional changes.

Last edited:
That's because you don't understand technology. It's not because Vega is bad, it's because we know what they've done with Ryzen (which is what makes it so good in a very large portion) and Navi will be employing similar tech. Making massive monolithic chips is difficult, expensive and has very low yields. What Navi will bring is making "big cheap" with high yields for lower price by "gluing" together smaller "cores". That's what Navi will be. Now, doing just this alone won't be enough as they need to also do something with GCN thing. It's great for compute, but it seems to really struggle with current games.

And saying NVIDIA has excellent drivers... if you'd only know what kind of bullshit problems I'm going through with NVIDIA for months now... And all connected to monumentally fucked up V-Sync logic. Horrible image tearing and corruption all over the place for videos in various V-Sync states. Something I never experienced on any Radeon for years. I mean, how can one fuck up V-Sync? Like, seriously? And yeah, NVIDIA Control Panel is garbage. It's buggy as hell, horrendously slow, loaded with dumb glitches all over the place and all this has existed for years. Just shows the QA levels at NVIDIA and how much their users give a F about quality and experience. I'd be furious to pay 800€ for a graphic card which is then controlled with such utter garbage UI. Which explains why I'm furious about it right here. When you have the fastest graphic card in the world and you still go and check RX Vega offerings (twice!), one might ask the question what's wrong with it... Yeah, it's ridiculously fast. When it works. When it doesn't (and that seems to be happening a lot), it's the biggest dumpster fire I've seen in last decade. At least their tech support does respond in a timely fashion and they aren't complete idiots like I'm used with most tech supports.

That's because you don't understand technology.
Thank you for the insult, I wont stoop to your level.
I am not here to argue with you but once again you are the eternal optimist when it comes to AMD and your speculations are useless (not a personal insult just that speculation is useless) like many of your other posts about Vega/Polaris before they came out. I am a realist so I don't expect anything but more of the same until the product comes out and the real specifics are reported.

As for your driver issues all I can do is take your word for it since I have not had those issues but I hope you get them resolved.

Try not to be so dramatic, state facts/specifics and move on. In your second paragraph it sounds like you have a vendetta against your GPU.

Not surprised, Raja and his ilk cannot be told they are wrong and plow on.
I think Navi will be a dud. Will probably have new features and some ground breaking tech to it (like HBM), but at the end of the day have crap fps.
Raja will worm his way in to Intel working for the Intel/RTG cpu team.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
People can say whatever they want, but the way Radeon improved in last few years was pretty amazing.

Under his wing, Radeon became a shitty card no longer able to compete at any level with nVdia, that's why he was axed. Or forced to be axed. Let's see the things from perspective.
It will be hard, even impossible for AMD to recover on GPU front.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....

In my opinion, the thing amazing about Radeon in the last few years was HBM and the size reduction of the card that came with it. The only good Fury/Vega iteration was the Nano, and that was about 30% overpriced for the performance it offered.

Yeah, that Nvidia control panel sure is garbage though. Truly pathetic. And the Geforce Experience app is just aweful in so many ways....

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I like Nvidia, but I can't argue with that. The drivers are fine, but everything else stinks.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Praise Raja all you want. In the end the hard facts just detroyed whatever hype he was generating.

On the front of graphics they failed miserably. You think Crimson driver is good? Overwatch is broken for what, 6 months now? Go to reddit. Tons of issues with even basic AMD tech like FreeSync. I would take Nvidia 's "boring" but functional driver over this Crimson neon flashy poop any time.

On the front of computing they can't touch nvidia. Hardware wise they can not compete. Software wise they don't even provide proper OpenCL tech support.

Raja promised more than what he can deliver. If he just focused on graphics it might end up better.

Good riddance.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You guys... :kookoo:

Under his wing, Radeon became a shitty card no longer able to compete at any level with nVdia, that's why he was axed. Or forced to be axed. Let's see the things from perspective.
It will be hard, even impossible for AMD to recover on GPU front.
AMD had issues BEFORE Raja took the helm. The 7970 was the GPU at that time, and since then NV has had the lead in performance every single day. EVERY DAMN DAY. For the first two years, none of what was released really had any of Raja's fingerprints, IMHO. Yeah, they re-released the same GPU under different names (7970, 7970 GHz, 280, etc...).. what's he supposed to do, imagine a GPU and then make it appear, with no work done?

Frankly, I find it odd that anyone is trying to pin blame on him for AMD's current GPU products... because it is not directly his fault. He's just the figurehead. He simply isn't able to get what he wants out of his career at AMD now, so it's time to move on, and that might be due to restrictions placed on his ideas by AMD, and not anything he's actually done.

Would be great to interview him. I do ghave a feeling though that most of the questions I would have for him would be confined to NDAs. :p

Praise Raja all you want. In the end the hard facts just detroyed whatever hype he was generating.

On the front of graphics they failed miserably. You think Crimson driver is good? Overwatch is broken for what, 6 months now? Go to reddit. Tons of issues with even basic AMD tech like FreeSync. I would take Nvidia 's "boring" but functional driver over this Crimson neon flashy poop any time.

On the front of computing they can't touch nvidia. Hardware wise they can not compete. Software wise they don't even provide proper OpenCL tech support.

Raja promised more than what he can deliver. If he just focused on graphics it might end up better.

Good riddance.

Yeah, because he writes all the drivers himself, and designs all the GPUs... the rest of the staff at RTG does absolutely nothing at all, and because of that high workload, he is leaving. Like what in the heck are you saying? I'm sorry, but... I can't help but say something here.

He'll leave, and nothing will change, and then you all will blame someone else. This whole thing and the way you guys respond to things like this... and everything when it comes to news and such in this industry.. is why I can't wait until my replacement is ready to take over. Can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink, so fuck it.

Last edited: