• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Readies Optane DIMM Roll-out for 2018

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel has reportedly slated launch of its Optane DIMM for the second half of 2018. The Optane DIMM marks the biggest change in computer memory in over two decades, and heralds the era of "persistent memory," which combines the best characteristics of DRAM and NAND flash, in that it has the speed and low-latency of DRAM, but the persistence (ability to store data in the absence of power) of NAND flash. Combining the two will be made possible with improvements to the speed and latency of 3D XPoint memory. Intel is currently selling consumer SSDs based on the technology, and has increased production of 3D XPoint chips.

Intel presented the Optane DIMM at the 2017 USB Global Technology Conference. It described Optane DIMM as a primary storage device that will function as a memory-mapped device, but with much higher storage densities than what's possible with current DDR4 DRAM. The enterprise segment, as usual, will have the first take of the technology, with Intel targeting the exascale computing (supercomputers nearing ExaFLOP/s compute throughput) industry, trickling down to other enterprise segments, before finally making its way to the client/consumer segments. This development is also a polite nudge to the DRAM industry to get its act together, and either bring down prices or scale up densities, or miss the bus of change.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
a strong APU paired with 256GB X-Point DIMM is all my Gaming-Rig needs
... looking forward

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
What about backward compatibility? Would I have to use some expensive next gen HEDT motherboard to support this?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What about backward compatibility? Would I have to use some expensive next gen HEDT motherboard to support this?
That's a really good question. The details are not exactly clear to even me how this is all going to work, but I do know that HEDT platforms right now are lagging behind mainstream platform for drive performance, and to me, that is unacceptable.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Gonna need a lot of dimm slots.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Gonna need a lot of dimm slots.
Consider X299 with 8 memory slots, and 16 GB DIMMs (which should soon change to 32 GB per DIMM, if not more when DDR5 comes)...

4 for memory @ 128 GB, and 4 for Optane, @ 2TB (8TB total)

with all of it running @ 100000 MB/s.... and with 64-128 CPU cores @ 3 - 4 GHz

:twitch:

We are on the cusp of a huge change in PC performance, IMHO. I don't know that most enthusiasts are really ready for it.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Consider X299 with 8 memory slots, and 16 GB DIMMs (which should soon change to 32 GB per DIMM, if not more when DDR5 comes)...

We are on the cusp of a huge change in PC performance, IMHO. I don't know that most enthusiasts are really ready for it.

Yes true, but with memory prices as they are now and predicted to get higher our wallets wont be ready for it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes true, but with memory prices as they are now and predicted to get higher our wallets wont be ready for it.
True, but...

You have to get out of today, and look far into the future. Money and costs are the least of my concern about this.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I was considering a new build soon, but I might as well wait for all of this to roll out. Especially PCIe-4, while I'm at it.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

But the latency and the bandwidth are problems. XPoint is faster than NAND flash, but still quite a long way from DRAM. So, for bandwidth hungry tasks such as graphics, no, not suitable.

It will benefit server applications and some HPC significantly, enabling what was previously impossible. However for mainstream consumers, all it can do is to offer better $/GB with worse memory performance (anyway, memory performance isn’t that important these days).

So, my prediction of unified operating and storage space is becoming a reality. 256GB Optane would give you 256GB of RAM and storage space. Since it's all the same storage space, there should be a lot less bottleneck which we now have due to shuffling of data from storage memory devices to operating memory.

Just don't ecxpect these to have same throughput as RAM. Similar or close yes, same, no. So, I'm assuming this won't be ideal for all tasks. Storage heavy operations like servers will likely greatly benefit from it. And compact devices like laptops.

I think the ultimate goal is to eliminate the need of RAM as a fast buffer/volatile storage. If we had non-volatile storage as fast as RAM everything could be executed directly from disk.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
So, my prediction of unified operating and storage space is becoming a reality. 256GB Optane would give you 256GB of RAM and storage space. Since it's all the same storage space, there should be a lot less bottleneck which we now have due to shuffling of data from storage memory devices to operating memory.

Just don't ecxpect these to have same throughput as RAM. Similar or close yes, same, no. So, I'm assuming this won't be ideal for all tasks. Storage heavy operations like servers will likely greatly benefit from it. And compact devices like laptops.
This is likely to get combined with on-die/package HBM-type RAM for cache when it becomes easily enough available and financially profitable. All-in-all, the limits between operating memory and storage will become more and more blurred.

The main reason for moving XPoint to DIMM is bandwidth-latency though. In its current SSD applications, it does seem to be constrained by both controller and interface, both of which can be considerably improved on within the current standards and paradigm by moving to DIMM.

There will still be shuffling data in and out of different levels of memory. That will not change and depending on how it will get implemented on all hardware-firmware-software, it might actually get more data being shuffled around if the end result justifies it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I think the ultimate goal is to eliminate the need of RAM as a fast buffer/volatile storage. If we had non-volatile storage as fast as RAM everything could be executed directly from disk.
Optane isn't a replacement.. it's an add-on. You are headed in the right direction, but that's TOO far into the future..... :p

So dual channel for memory and dual channel for optane nvdimms. On server side that would be even more, Skylake X cpus have six memory channels(i.e. quad memory+dual optane).

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB
That's a really good question. The details are not exactly clear to even me how this is all going to work, but I do know that HEDT platforms right now are lagging behind mainstream platform for drive performance, and to me, that is unacceptable.

It's my understanding that most new technologies come to HEDT first and find their way to typical consumer boards when prices come down enough to justify supporting it.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

I don't know about eliminating the need for RAM, but I'd be happy with it as better caching than what we have now. I'd want it to be faster and as intelligent as SRT.. but more than the 64gb limit (or 32 with optane M.2). I imagine it'd cost an arm and a leg though.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I like how they write in their slide that RAM is more expensive than NAND.... Yeah, per GB maybe.

But how much is an Optane DIMM vs RAM+SSD?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's my understanding that most new technologies come to HEDT first and find their way to typical consumer boards when prices come down enough to justify supporting it.

Not really.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
With Intel's HEDT, this is most definitely not the case, and the CPU core design lags a full generation behind the mainstream desktop parts.

So dual channel for memory and dual channel for optane nvdimms. On server side that would be even more, Skylake X cpus have six memory channels(i.e. quad memory+dual optane).

I actually think that this will only support a single Optane device, not multiple (as current Optane drives work this way). You might also note that the projected launch is 2nd half next year, which could mean this time next year for all we know, so details are going to be a bit lean on what exactly is going on for quite some time yet.

Last edited:

levish

Could be that Real-Time ray tracing is very near :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Could be that Real-Time ray tracing is very near :D
HDR and VR plus other technologies are pushing bandwidth requirements for all devices, yes. We're still a fair way away from that though, IMHO, given the huge increase in pixels that 4K requires compared to 1080P, never mind 8K or 10K. Finding suitable solutions for true "realtime" rendering at high resolutions is a neat idea though. Augmented Reality stuff really needs a huge boost in visual quality, and today, we're still kind of stuck with what to me, seems like NES-equivalents (I mean the original Nintendo ;)).

levish

There's also Voxel based software that is typically CPU/Memory intensive. Exciting stuff!

Have fun rebooting if an application hangs :)