• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Flash: Foxconn NT-525 Netbox - Paperweight now?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
No, use a rework station.
You can damage the underlying traces, if you try one of those retarded methods for removing SOIC chips w/ iron (like on youtube).

EDIT: ...or, as Solaris17 said, just hook up a programmer directly to the chip. Use a clip (if you have one), or attach some jumper wires to the chip, or SPI testpads on the board.

gotta be careful with those rework stations, you could end up blowing other stuff of the board if not careful. Better to cover other parts up around the chip, there is tape for it.

Believe it or not I already ran electrical tape around it to isolate the zone but kind of pointless if the SOIC clip will do the job. Lets hope so.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Just ordered this (called a Flashcat - more expensive but comes with software and has a 3.3v/5v switch):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2P9AS6/?tag=tec06d-20
That's my daily driver. The new version also does 1.8V SPI/i2c, JTAG and NAND. Also supports QSPI for newer chips (writes 64MBit flash under 2min).
If you have a chance, cancel your order and get a classic version(or a PRO for the same $$ you spent on Amazon) from an official site:
http://www.embeddedcomputers.net/products/FlashcatUSB/

Its not the latest version that Amazon sells?!! Looks good. Tried to cancel the order but may be too late. However for my needs I really don't need a dual chip programmer. So the basic should be fine.

Thanks for letting me know!!

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Its not the latest version that Amazon sells?!!

Thanks for letting me know!!
It's probably the latest (the seller's name is Flashcat gives a hint), but it's $7 less on their site, plus you don't need all three cables that they bundle.
* The ribbon cable is only useful if you buy their extensions (DIP/SO adapters ets).
* 2.51mm jumpers are practically useless, and you can get those from china in packs of 100 for a couple of bucks anyway
* 2mm jumper wires are good if you work with desktop motherboards frequently.

I'm simply using 2.51mm jumpers with either homemade or cheap chinese adapters. FCUSB is not perfect, but it's definitely better than most cheap programmers.
The only thing I'd give it up for, is Bus Pirate v4 or if some day I'll finish my homebrew Cortex M4F-based monstrosity.

Well it was too late to cancel but as I am a Amazon Prime member I get free shipping so I bet the costs even out in the wash. Got a SOIC8 clip adapter cable on the way too.

If this works I may start taking out old hardware out of the closet and intentionally brick them for fun!

Thanks

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Well it was too late to cancel but as I am a Amazon Prime member I get free shipping so I bet the costs even out in the wash. Got a SOIC8 clip adapter cable on the way too.

guess you not seen the news regarding amazon free shipping

to save you googling
and to add insult to injury they will charge you $2 to tip the Driver for your delivery

The online shopping giant has doubled the minimum amount customers need to spend to qualify for free same-day delivery - even for customers who are members of Amazon Prime Now.
another link
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/amazon-prime-delivery-charge-change-13896471
The changes mean shoppers will have to cough up a £3.99 delivery cost plus a £2 tip for the driver on orders under £40, even if you're a £79-a-year paying Prime subscriber, the Mirror reports .

Last edited:
Well that’s old news dated 2002. In any case had a big enough order to qualify for free shipping. There’s no free lunch of course but it worked out.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Last edited:
Like to report success with restoring full functionality of my bios chip using a SOIC jumper cable on the CH341A!!!!

At first I tried using a FlashcatUSB programmer because of the 3.3v 5v issue on the CH341A Black. Trying to use that
device was a pain in the a$$ because setting up the right routing of jumper wires was not an easy task as you had
to study the pin layout of the flash chip and correspond that to the pin layout of the programmer. Biggest issue I
had guessing was where pin 1 red stripe on the cable corresponded to on the block. Took a guess and plugged it
in but the software off of the bat says that the firmware was old and outdated and wouldn't work unless you
upgrade the firmware of which there was two. One for JTAG and one for SPI so I picked SPI confused about my choice.
In anycase after hooking up the jumper cable to the board the power led on the motherboard lit up however
the FlashcatUSB software could not autodetect the kind of flash and refused to enable writing.

So I said screw the volts and followed along a Youtube video on how to use the CH341A with a jumper cable and
the the CH341A software autodetected the chip and after a long 3 minute flash was done and I was back in business!

So to you guys that said take it a shop well so much for that!

Wonder if Amazon will take back the FlashcatUSB device.. waste of money..

Thanks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Well don't goof up again

Tempted to try again believe it or not. Feel like now I can recover and learn from my mistakes..

As for your Sig Eidairaman1 I've been plenty stupid and flashed my video cards 10 times over!

Never learn my lesson!

Thanks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Tempted to try again believe it or not. Feel like now I can recover and learn from my mistakes..

As for your Sig Eidairaman1 I've been plenty stupid and flashed my video cards 10 times over!

Never learn my lesson!

Thanks

I used to do mod bios flashes during the AXP days, I also had a spare bios chip with stock bios on it for possible failures. I currently have a card with dual bios, basically I did it before it was cool and many come here crying because they hard locked their parts...

Well knowledge is power. I remember I once bricked an old router I tried to put dd-wrt on. Wish I knew where I put it..

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
That's my daily driver. The new version also does 1.8V SPI/i2c, JTAG and NAND. Also supports QSPI for newer chips (writes 64MBit flash under 2min).
If you have a chance, cancel your order and get a classic version(or a PRO for the same $$ you spent on Amazon) from an official site:
http://www.embeddedcomputers.net/products/FlashcatUSB/

I run a flashcat as well A+ decision bud! @davidm71

Like to report success with restoring full functionality of my bios chip using a SOIC jumper cable on the CH341A!!!!

At first I tried using a FlashcatUSB programmer because of the 3.3v 5v issue on the CH341A Black. Trying to use that
device was a pain in the a$$ because setting up the right routing of jumper wires was not an easy task as you had
to study the pin layout of the flash chip and correspond that to the pin layout of the programmer. Biggest issue I
had guessing was where pin 1 red stripe on the cable corresponded to on the block. Took a guess and plugged it
in but the software off of the bat says that the firmware was old and outdated and wouldn't work unless you
upgrade the firmware of which there was two. One for JTAG and one for SPI so I picked SPI confused about my choice.
In anycase after hooking up the jumper cable to the board the power led on the motherboard lit up however
the FlashcatUSB software could not autodetect the kind of flash and refused to enable writing.

So I said screw the volts and followed along a Youtube video on how to use the CH341A with a jumper cable and
the the CH341A software autodetected the chip and after a long 3 minute flash was done and I was back in business!

So to you guys that said take it a shop well so much for that!

Wonder if Amazon will take back the FlashcatUSB device.. waste of money..

Thanks

just saw this! good job!

@Solaris17

Since you use the Flashcat whats the trick to get it working? I mean I followed the manual and ran the jumper wires exactly pin to pin except so->si and si>so and the Flashcat software could not recognize the chip. Is that normal?

Thanks

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
@Solaris17

Since you use the Flashcat whats the trick to get it working? I mean I followed the manual and ran the jumper wires exactly pin to pin except so->si and si>so and the Flashcat software could not recognize the chip. Is that normal?

Thanks

It depends. The flashcat isnt only meant for SOIC 8 chips (SPI interface) as such when you first purchase one you must download the software package and open it. After that you plug in and put the flashcat in DFU mode (using the tiny switches on the board) and hit the button to reset it. at that point the software can write TO the flashcat ITSELF and reprogram the ROM. then you chose the SPI.hex firmware and program the flashcat itself. Your now ready to do SPI related flashes.

It seems a little conveluted until you've done it alot. its because the flashcat is pretty versitile. it can do NAND and JTAG as well as SPI.

Yeah I tried that. First thing I did was update the SPI rom version as the software complained it was too old.

Not sure why though it could not identify the rom chip..

Mystery.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Yeah I tried that. First thing I did was update the SPI rom version as the software complained it was too old.

Mystery.

yeah pretty odd man, iv flashed some really obscure HDD controllers and stuff. Maybe a wire wasnt right or something. eitherway you got it working! grats and GJ jumping down the eeprom programming rabbit hole!

Thanks. Thing was I had no idea how to configure the software settings as it had like Nor Nand and other choices I can't remember right now..

Confusing to use.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Usually a bad connection. Jumper wires suck. That's why I made my own set of sockets and adapters for a 10-pin ribbon cable.
Also, some fake Winbond chips don't work in QSPI mode, or report wrong device ID, which may cause issues with flashing, or may not work on certain motherboards (even with proper data).
So far had no problems with any I2C/SPI chips from Winbond (except fakes), Macronix, Atmel etc. Only used JTAG a couple of times to recover my neighbor's smart switches.