• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X299 OC Formula

cadaveca

My name is Dave
ASRock's fabled X299 OC Formula is here! It's that board that can push 4600 MHz memory or crack the OC ceiling on Intel's HCC CPUs, and all that other good stuff a board carrying the "OC Formula" name has always been capable of; this time with less yellow!

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Don't OC oriented motherboards have bare minimum of RAM slots? So how is 4 RAM slots a Con.
It does limit you from using all the platform has to offer. For some users, such as our @xkm1948, who is using 128 GB, and maxing out his ram completely, this board would not be an option.

But yeah, you're very right, for sure.

You might also want to ask the question, is going to four slots the easy way out, design-wise, or if they spent a huge amount of time trying designs, could they get the same memory scaling with all eight slots? I'm sure there'd be a slight decrease in overall speeds, but just how much exactly, given a huge amount of time and an unlimited budget?

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Love your review. Any works station boards reviews coming up?

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Whenever you get a chance to test X399 platform can you check their max RAM capacity? AMD claims with unbuffered ECC the TR can support up to TB level RAM. I wanna know whether that is for real or just marketing.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Whenever you get a chance to test X399 platform can you check their max RAM capacity? AMD claims with unbuffered ECC the TR can support up to TB level RAM. I wanna know whether that is for real or just marketing.

Yeah, that is an interesting aspect of that platform... and you already know I sleep cuddling my DIMM collection.... :wtf:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Amazing how empty pcb gets bigger and bigger!
Standard ATX board, but the lack of DIMM slots does make it appear a bit empty. At the same time, those "spaces" help isolate the different parts of the board from each other, helping the board clock well. And it clocks amazingly well, with surprisingly low voltage compared to other boards, so it really does seem that it pays off in spades.

Processor i7-6700k @ 4.7 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Formula
Cooling Custom Loop, EK 1080 Ti block, Alphacool XP3 Light, EK VRM, 480 st rad, 280 Monster rad.
Memory 16Gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Asus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE / EK waterblock
Storage 500 gb 960 EVO, PNY 480 gb SSD, HGST 4TB NAS , Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34-67UM, HTC Vive, some other 1080P displays for now.
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo (black/white)
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 750 G2
Mouse Corsiar M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60
all good XOC oriented DDR4 mobos have only 1 DIMM per channel. litterally nobody who competes on HWBOT would buy this board if they had made it 2 DPC reason being is its impossible to run DDR4-4000 C11-12 T1 tight on anything else the added trace lengths and noise screw up any board with more slots from ever doing it or even much higher than 4000 even with normal timings.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
all good XOC oriented DDR4 mobos have only 1 DIMM per channel. litterally nobody who competes on HWBOT would buy this board if they had made it 2 DPC reason being is its impossible to run DDR4-4000 C11-12 T1 tight on anything else the added trace lengths and noise screw up any board with more slots from ever doing it or even much higher than 4000 even with normal timings.
Yes, you're simply stating the obvious for those that normally buy this sort of product. But the OC scene isn't growing, like, at all, so we've really got to consider how ALL users might look at this board,not just those that run LN2. Not all users are willing to accept that, but we do want to have products that interest other users into XOC. So how do we make products appealing to entice users... you remove any and all complaints, period.

I've run 4000 with XMP-like settings with 4 sticks on many boards. All of my Skylake-X CPUs can run 4000 pretty easy (I got every model and multiples of 7900X), and NONE of them even require voltage boost to VCCSA or VCCIO when only clocking up ram up that high, so you are right... board memory design is extremely critical for real memory overclocking, and pretty darn important for those that want over like 3600 MHz with all slots filled.

However, I do know of users that would like to be able to run higher speeds with greater densities, and I either got extremely good CPU samples, or Skylake-X's memory controller is one of the best yet.

That said, like I said in the review, if you want to push this platform, this is the board to do it, and Nick's focus on the XOC community and the industry as a whole means that you have a real person, a real face, with which to approach with any issues you might encounter, and that is invaluable. No other company offers that level of support as well as Nick and ASRock does.

Cooling Custom Loop, EK 1080 Ti block, Alphacool XP3 Light, EK VRM, 480 st rad, 280 Monster rad.
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 750 G2
Mouse Corsiar M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60
Indeed Sky-X IMC is very good i was able to run DDR4-4000 C17 1.4v on my Rampage VI Apex with a 7820x on my 4266-C19 sticks. for daily users i don't disagree the small advantage of the missing slots isn't a big deal esp on skylake-x, however if someone is buying this for competition use then well its this board or the Apex sense Gigabyte won't put their XOC boards in retail channels anymore for some reason.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Indeed Sky-X IMC is very good i was able to run DDR4-4000 C17 1.4v on my Rampage VI Apex with a 7820x on my 4266-C19 sticks. for daily users i don't disagree the small advantage of the missing slots isn't a big deal esp on skylake-x, however if someone is buying this for competition use then well its this board or the Apex sense Gigabyte won't put their XOC boards in retail channels anymore for some reason.
I don't think Gigabyte's BIOS can keep up with ASRock and ASUS, so to me, it is no surprise. ;) Gigabyte excels at a different type of product than what those two brands do, and ASRock has the customer care that kills anything ASUS and Gigabyte offer; you don't find much if anything at all recently about people complaining about ASRock's RMA service, for example...

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I love the OC Forumla boards, I have a few :) Some of the best for benching and so tweakable. I've not had any issues with the RMA's (the companies I've bought the boards from have never given me any issues at all if I have ever needed to RMA them) but I tend to go down that route rather than going for a more bare bones board..

As for Gigabyte boards, not had the best experience with those, the X99 SOC boards seemed to have been so flakey and I had about 4 of those whilst benching and only on water cooling no sub zero... Even died with no overclocking, the RAM side of things seemed to have been the cause of the board dying.. Not the best experience I must admit....

Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
I don't understand how one can look at X299 and conclude, as here, "This platform really does bring enthusiasts and high-performance computing and gaming together in a single platform" when this very review shows how much better Z270/Z370 is for gaming than X299.

X299 hasn't changed anything about how Intel's platforms stack up... its premium X[]99 platform is worse for gaming than its mainstream Z[]70 and gamer without some other use for 8+ cores is much better served by avoiding X299

Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 750 G2
Mouse Corsiar M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60
I'm sure Dave can clarify but I'm going to assume he ran the benchmarks at default settings on the motherboard. the massive change Intel made on Skylake-X that hurts gaming is the Mesh and it really low default 2400 mhz clock speed, if one simply overclocks that to 3000 that will resolve most of the poor gaming performance seen on skylake-x vs ring bus desktop CPU's. end of the day though Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake-S will always deliver you the highest of highest frame rates in many games esp when overclocked.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/X299_OC_Formula/13.html

Is it me or am i missing a complete review of overclocking features? We see a chip idling at 1200MHz. Was that the final OC? Lol.
That is at idle, and for some users, seeing that the chip still scales down the multi and voltage when under OC is important. It could have been forced higher, but I feel it's important to show exactly what you see in that screenshot. All X299 boards are tested with the i9-7900X set to 4600 MHz on OC. If all the screenshots just sshow 4600 MHz, it's kinda of useless, and doesn't provide you with any real info, IMHO.

Here's an example of how many tests I keep results of (I actually run way more than what is shown here, and multiple times, but I only keep certain results for review purposes):

There's benchmarks there I kept screenshots of that aren't even posted in the review. With every board, results are highly dependent on what specific configuration you have. Memory, VGAs, CPU, power supply, drives, cooling are all changed many time over for every reviewed product. You cna see I do have OC results as well as memory OC results, evn though those aren't reported in the review. I don't just slap a rig together, run benchmarks, and then toss out a review; I build the rig, use it for a couple of weeks at least for 16-18 hours a day, and I tend to run benchmarks for reviews at the very end, but through the entire process I am constantly doing tests to get a true feeling of what a product has on offer. For example, if you check the "Sexy Hardware" thread, you'll see I have an ASRock X299E ITX AC board for review, along with a full cover block from Bitspower. It will be several weeks before you see that review posted, but I'm building that rig today.

Very few other sites go as in-depth on testing as I do. I don't do reviews for money or for access to the hardware; I do reviews to help ensure everyone is getting what they need out of these products, as well as making sure you guys have a place to ask questions and get some info that might not otherwise be available to you. This is my hobby, and I want it to grow so that I can continue to enjoy it for many many years to come.

I don't understand how one can look at X299 and conclude, as here, "This platform really does bring enthusiasts and high-performance computing and gaming together in a single platform" when this very review shows how much better Z270/Z370 is for gaming than X299.

X299 hasn't changed anything about how Intel's platforms stack up... its premium X[]99 platform is worse for gaming than its mainstream Z[]70 and gamer without some other use for 8+ cores is much better served by avoiding X299

You can't judge a platform like this by results with a single CPU. The KabyLake-X chips, by default, are the same as Z270, but have a higher spec right out of the box, for example. If you are NOT overclocking, X299 has higher clockspeeds right out of the gate. With past platforms, I would tend to agree with you, but X299 and it's socket that fits multiple CPU designs into it really changes the game this time, so I have written that to draw your attention those that.

I'm sure Dave can clarify but I'm going to assume he ran the benchmarks at default settings on the motherboard. the massive change Intel made on Skylake-X that hurts gaming is the Mesh and it really low default 2400 mhz clock speed, if one simply overclocks that to 3000 that will resolve most of the poor gaming performance seen on skylake-x vs ring bus desktop CPU's. end of the day though Sky/Kaby/Coffee Lake-S will always deliver you the highest of highest frame rates in many games esp when overclocked.
Yes, I always test and show "out-of-the-box" settings as this shows the board maker's tuning to Turbo profiles and other things like power settings (that idle multi, for example) that can affect overall performance and/or power use. It's actually really hard to create a level playing field in which to evaluate motherboard performance, to be honest, yet the field I put them on allows board makers to show you what they can do, tuning-wise, while also pointing out if that tuning is taking place, and I feel that that is very important for the end user in many cases.

I love the OC Forumla boards, I have a few :) Some of the best for benching and so tweakable. I've not had any issues with the RMA's (the companies I've bought the boards from have never given me any issues at all if I have ever needed to RMA them) but I tend to go down that route rather than going for a more bare bones board..

As for Gigabyte boards, not had the best experience with those, the X99 SOC boards seemed to have been so flakey and I had about 4 of those whilst benching and only on water cooling no sub zero... Even died with no overclocking, the RAM side of things seemed to have been the cause of the board dying.. Not the best experience I must admit....

Yea, same here. I had a few OCF and they are the best thing ever.
Shame they are not doing them for X370 AM4 mobos, I would love to get one for my Ryzen.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I've a few here, Z77, Z97 and Z170.. I don't plan on getting anymore but if I see a Z170M then I might consider it lol That said, I'm thinking more towards the Ryzen setups for the girl friend and my daughter if I'm honest.. I think they'll be damn good rigs with 16Gb ram and one of my 480's in there :) Perfect for folding and them gaming!! :)

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
399$, I don't know... I'm more familiar with ROG BIOS and I would rather add 29$ more for
Rampage VI Apex. Somehow is inteligent modern and innovative.
Best investment at the moment, RVIA and i9-7900X.
And build will not be in shadow even after Z390 and Intel 8 core show up on market.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Wow, almost a full year necro..should I have just waited an extra day? Why such a fps difference between motherboards of the same chipset (Metro Last Light)?