• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Studies Reveal MOBA Gamers Having Higher IQs Than FPS Gamers

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Knowing an FPS map -- and exploiting it... does take a sort of intelligence, I think. I don't think it's just about reflexes at least. You could just play that way, but the first guy will beat you every time.

But still, many games have more problem solving involved.

lol PR!

if that is true that would be due to more many people playing FPS therefore many noobs/newbies are playing FPS

i personally know many mmorpg players who arent quite high IQed

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
i personally know many mmorpg players who arent quite high IQed

There's basically only one pattern to learn for an MMO. Tank/DPS/Heal. And even then, you see many going all Leeroy Jenkins and killing their groups.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I get that there's more to worry about and more to plan for, but how in the world did they separate the two?

who ONLY plays FPS games? and who ONLY plays MOBA games?

in my experience the same people play both.
I really only play WoW with the occasional FPS here and there. :-\

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
And RTS players are smarter than both of them

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
There's basically only one pattern to learn for an MMO. Tank/DPS/Heal. And even then, you see many going all Leeroy Jenkins and killing their groups.
MMORPGs need some intelligence in hard PvE fights, but once you know them they are easy and repetitive. They are also pretty much learnable by any person. The only thing really needing some brainflesh is PvP in MMORPGs, Arena only more or less. Battlegrounds are highly tactical, but only the leader has to be really smart. Talking about WoW here.

Why even waste time studying memes or gaming. What about space exploration, science and all that jam.

SMH.

This better lets me apply for a job in a research center. o_O

Play Dead Space?

This comes as no surprise. I have worked very hard to gain an MMR of 3150 in DoTA and that's just above average. Yes, there is mechanical skill that you must improve, but you must constantly evolve your decision making skillset.

Space? Ha! Space as you have been indoctrinated about doesn't exist. If it did, "astronauts" wouldn't be nearly drowning in space as well as many other facts that support this.

When you say worked very hard for an MMR of 3150 you mean that you calibrated much higher and dropped to that MMR from 4k correct? I calibrated at 4700 and worked my way down to 4k lol, you PEASANT! :D

WTF!?

What's next, you're gonna imply that MOBA gamers are mainly of asian background, ergo they are smarter?!

Well I'm pretty sure if you single out someone Asians make up the biggest chunk versus everyone else due to sheer population.

I'm Asian and suck at math. ;)

Well, half Asian anyways. Maybe it's the Viking in me.

Yeah but you'll probably be a great Dr.

Dota has a pretty damn high skillcap, and a very, very steep learning curve. Easily greater than most shooters, for example, and tactically also very complex.

An RTS requires slightly different skills - micro I would say is very similar to a MOBA, but an RTS has a macro game as well, this is much less so in MOBAs, all you plan is items, but the emphasis is fully on micro, which is more akin to the shooter; the ramifications of bad micro however are far greater because respawn timers are long and get progressively longer, you lose gold and thus progression - while in a shooter, it is only a leaderboard stat or perhaps a flag capture.

For the uninformed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement_(gameplay)

Versus macromanagement[edit]
There is sometimes confusion regarding the difference between micromanagement and macromanagement, normally abbreviated as 'micro' and 'macro' respectively. Macro generally refers to managing large quantities of tasks at the same time. For example, building units from various structures throughout the game while also building more structures, scouting, creating new bases, etc. This is different from micro, which is generally controlling small numbers of units and giving them very specific orders.

Yes it does, takes a lot of time to learn everything, there are too many items and too many heroes plus all the odd interactions, mechanics and combinations you can do.

Knowing an FPS map -- and exploiting it... does take a sort of intelligence, I think. I don't think it's just about reflexes at least. You could just play that way, but the first guy will beat you every time.

But still, many games have more problem solving involved.

Memorization is a big thing in FPS. Know a map well and you can dominate it, I remember this being a big thing for me personally with Goldeneye back on N64, Quake and Unreal Tournament.

And RTS players are smarter than both of them

MOBAS are basically RTS anyhow.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I don't agree with the statements saying 'one game requires more than the other'. To me, all game types require DIFFERENT skillsets, or combinations of skillsets. Intelligence also has many facets - tactical insight is a type of intelligence that you see in many teambased shooters, while the longer-term planning game of the RTS may be more intricate, but also happens over a longer timespan. With the twitch shooter, there is not so much intelligence required but there is a high degree of memorization and even 'conditioning' yourself to traits of weapons, locations, spawns, etc. Or consider a singleplayer environment like Diablo 2, where people theorycraft intricate builds, which has some real math involved, and a lot of cognitive thinking.

Any game that is played on a high level requires a high degree of skill. Even the simplest of concepts like Tetris or Mario Kart, that a five year old can grasp, can be played at an extreme level. But each of them develops a different skillset. IQ is a blunt instrument went it comes to measuring 'intelligence' - there is only one scale.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the statements saying 'one game requires more than the other'. To me, all game types require DIFFERENT skillsets, or combinations of skillsets. Intelligence also has many facets - tactical insight is a type of intelligence that you see in many teambased shooters, while the longer-term planning game of the RTS may be more intricate, but also happens over a longer timespan. With the twitch shooter, there is not so much intelligence required but there is a high degree of memorization and even 'conditioning' yourself to traits of weapons, locations, spawns, etc. Or consider a singleplayer environment like Diablo 2, where people theorycraft intricate builds, which has some real math involved, and a lot of cognitive thinking.

Any game that is played on a high level requires a high degree of skill. Even the simplest of concepts like Tetris or Mario Kart, that a five year old can grasp, can be played at an extreme level. But each of them develops a different skillset. IQ is a blunt instrument went it comes to measuring 'intelligence' - there is only one scale.
Skill and intelligence are not the same. Some games are Chess some are Checkers.