• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel to Remove Legacy BIOS Support from Motherboard UEFI in 2020

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
So how will I boot from my optical drive then? o_O

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
So how will I boot from my optical drive then? o_O
If you use a proper image w/ UEFI support, then you should have no problems (e.g. any official Windows 8/10 image). I did several Windows 10 and Ubuntu EFI installations from an ODD to my semi-broken laptop (USB xHCI died on SoC, so no flash drives or any USB devices).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Control. I am not willing to surrender control of my computing devices to a third party, especially Microsoft. You may not see the downsides, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Ah yes, if the app store was the only way to install stuff I'd agree, but it isn't so I don't. :p

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Hopefully this will force tool makers to support UEFI properly, instead of hanging onto MBR.

On the other hand, not a fan of forced secure boot. Until every linux distro and alternative software is capable of using it, I dont want to use locked down hardware.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
there are a lot more of them than us.
Exactly, so unless Microsoft goes the same way they will lose relevancy among those people who want simplicity in their lives.

Apple's dumbing-down, hand-holding, and overpriced hardware ("Apple Tax") is absurd to us.
I would never buy a Mac, there's no question there. I want control over my hardware; I like building my own computers. When it comes to smartphones a high-end Samsung flagship phone runs just about the same cost as an iPhone. Myself, I would much rather have the iPhone since I know damn well that it will be supported over the life of the product. I also like the idea that if I have a problem with my iPhone I can walk into any Apple Store, walk up to the Genius Bar, tell them my problem, and I have a solution right then and there.

Take my brother's situation... something happened to his iPhone 7. He was out in the field as part of a military training exercise and a rather heavy rock landed on the phone which resulted in some significant damage to the screen and body of the device. He walked into the Apple Store, explained the problem, and right then and there they replaced the phone for some cost but far better than having to buy a new device outright. He got a new device that same day!!! You can't get that kind of service in the Android world, the best you can hope for is waiting 48 to 72 hours for Assurion to receive the device, process the claim, and ship you a refurbished device that you hope will work correctly since there's more than a number of horror stories where people have received dead devices from Assurion which of course starts the whole process over again. Not so with Apple, you just walk in with a problem and you walk out happy. This is how it should be, companies can learn from Apple when it comes to Customer Service!!!

But it appeals to people who lack the brain cells, can't be bothered, or would rather be doing other stuff than securing their systems.
You can't say that because you don't know what people may do as their day jobs. For instance, people who are doctors, lawyers, and other various jobs that take up a good majority of their day don't want to have to deal with the complexities of computers so they just want it to work and there's no problem with that kind of thinking.

Back in the days we where free to use whatever we'd like and now more and more vendor locked in BS is popping op. MS, Intel and so on. You cant use your hardware freely nomore. It's all vendor locked in with UEFI and such.

Yes it's progression, old antic bios but that progression comes with a cost of somehow vendor lock-in, which is'nt a good thing.

When W7 becomes EOL i'm switching over to Linux. More privacy and still able to use Windows related programs by the use of Wine. I dont want a OS pushing updates or drivers which might be the culprit of a system BSOD'ing out of the blue while work is left open.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Progress. Look into how MBR boot works. It's freaking BULLSHIT that we've used that piece of crap for 30 odd years essentially unchanged

UEFI can run on regular x86 (32bit), IA64 (Itanium.. where it originated from in the first place, as EFI) as well as ARM (AArch64). You could port it to MIPS, AVR, GCN, whatever if you were so inclined.
MBR sucks allright, but that's not why you need the overengineered bloatware known as EFI. Intel sold us EFI as the way to get nice GUI BIOS interfaces, "faster" boot and support for larger drives, none of which has anything to do with the design of EFI.

EFI is the Extensible Firmware Interface, intended to simplify driver development across CPU architectures and operating systems. Now, more than 10 years in, consumer products still doesn't use this feature.

EFI runs a "sub kernel" controlling all the devices of the system without the OSs knowledge, and it has network access. Not only does it use CPU resources, but also presents a huge security risks. Motherboard vendors rarely update their BIOSes after two years, and since this can't be circumvented by software, end users might be forced to upgrade fully usable hardware. EFI is the most critical piece of software in a modern system, yet its code quality is awful.

The last big issue of EFI is the "Secure" Boot, which is nothing but a headache for other operating systems.

Finally, any particular reason why you didn't try a pure UEFI environment? I've had highly mixed experiences when relying on CSMs, but generally good times with pure UEFI.
We still have a long way to go for EFI to be painless. As recent as June I had to revert a bunch of new Dell systems (Skylake) to legacy mode to get hardware properly initialized.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Fine by me. I haven't had any issues with UEFI with Windows or with Linux. Support is good enough now where we might was well switch and focus on just one; the newer one. Honestly, it's better in just about every way when it comes to how the system can be managed and initialized.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
What do you hate about it? I mean, I don't mess with it enough for it to make much difference. I set it up, and that's that. No different than a BIOS.

Formating for BIOS is a lot easier when you have to do it manually (Gentoo, Arch), and I had some low-end motherboards (what I work with most of the time) refusing to see the Windows DVD as UEFI booteable before, BIOS/CSM always works.

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
Formating for BIOS is a lot easier when you have to do it manually (Gentoo, Arch), and I had some low-end motherboards (what I work with most of the time) refusing to see the Windows DVD as UEFI booteable before, BIOS/CSM always works.

Speaking of Gentoo, their minimal installation CD doesn't support UEFI boot. Go ahead and test it in a VM.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
I would never buy a Mac, there's no question there. I want control over my hardware; I like building my own computers. When it comes to smartphones a high-end Samsung flagship phone runs just about the same cost as an iPhone. Myself, I would much rather have the iPhone since I know damn well that it will be supported over the life of the product. I also like the idea that if I have a problem with my iPhone I can walk into any Apple Store, walk up to the Genius Bar, tell them my problem, and I have a solution right then and there.
That has more to do with the way Apple sets up its business model extending back from the Mac days. They have full control of their market. They make their own OS and they are the only ones who make devices running it. As such, there isn't a flood of iOS smartphones and tablets because no one else is making them. And with no competition, they can take their time for the next iteration; one every year as opposed to one every six months. The support front is there to lock-in retention. Gotta keep the people on your devices (and thus your app store) especially when new shinies aren't coming out often. Microsoft's own mobile attempt did do something similar to Apple (storefronts) since they too were the only device makers of their own OS. Heck, Microsoft's indirect reach to pirates with Windows 10 is that as well; they may not have been paying Microsoft for the OS, but they were contributing to its market share dominance and the consequent benefits.

That is in contrast to Android. Google makes the OS but a lot of manufacturers make devices running it (including Google themselves). So there's a lot more models coming out and a lot more competition going on. The manufacturers also don't have storefronts. It'd be absurd; imagine if video card or motherboard manufacturers did that. Not Intel, AMD, or Nvidia. But ASUS, AsRock, Colorful, EVGA, Gigabyte, Palit, Zotac, etc. each having physical stores in a city. Android has a much larger market share than iOS, but that large market share is divided among all the Android device manufacturers. So having to do a glorified RMA/warranty claim instead of walking up to a store and processing it immediately is understandable. Though in parts of the world where phones are subsidised, you can deal with replacements via the retail stores of your phone service carrier.

The closest equivalent to Apple's service in the PC space I can think of is pre-built PC companies like Dell. And Dell's corporate support is what retains clients. Business customers needed their machines working yesterday and will pay for that support so they can... get back to business. But Dell doesn't need a physical presence since they're dealing with a level above the general public which is a much smaller and compact group.

By the way, while you would never buy a Mac, how do you feel about the control on iOS compared to Android? After the jailbreaks and roots, how do they compare?

You can't say that because you don't know what people may do as their day jobs. For instance, people who are doctors, lawyers, and other various jobs that take up a good majority of their day don't want to have to deal with the complexities of computers so they just want it to work and there's no problem with that kind of thinking.
That probably came out more harsh than I intended but I've pretty much seen the full gamut of attitudes regarding basic computer/mobile security. Some will pick it up slowly but patiently and diligently. Some do have busy jobs and/or are single parents with a bunch of young kids and ailing parents so can't spend much time on it. But others really don't have the attention span nor the cognitive ability to delve into it. Thankfully, stuff like the combination of uBlock Origin and NoScript provide good returns even with minimal investiture.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
My iPhone isn't jailbroken and yet I still find it capable of doing everything that I ask of it to do and in the end that's all that really matters. As for tweaking and stuff I get my fill of that on my desktop computer.

My biggest problem with Android and the chief reason why I went to the iPhone is the appearance that the Android OEMs don't care about you past the point of you handing over your hard earned cash. Software updates have to go through your carrier and some carriers are worse than others, this of course makes it so that you may end up with a device that's a maybe a couple of months old that you spent a good amount of money on and yet you're not getting critical software updates. It would be like Microsoft telling you "Oh, your computer is six months old. No updates for you!" And why do the Android OEMs do this? They want you to buy the next new device. Why? Simply put, it all comes down to money; lots of money. The OEMs just love to rake it all in and of course the majority of the public falls for this strategy hook, line, and sinker. Meanwhile you have Apple where you're pretty much guaranteed to have software updates for at least five years which is very much like how Microsoft is treating Windows 7 which was released eight years ago.