• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Xbox One X Falls Short of Expectations in Japan - Again

CMIIW, But there's lots of Japanese can't speak, read or write in English. So for them the xbox and its game library is like aliens.
This is one of the reason sony won over xbox in japan. They have more Japanese titles then xbox.

Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
Apart from that it's not even just the lack of JRPGs, it's a lack of exclusives overall on XB1/S/X. Honestly the US sales for XB1X seem more out of Xbox nostalgia and hope that Microsoft will get their act together finally on decent XB1 exclusives.
[...]
Microsoft has just completely dropped the ball on games this gen.

It's bad enough that I have both XB1 and a PS4, and I use my XB1 for Netflix
Just use the Netflix app on the TV, why bother with any other box?

Anyway, I agree. I was prob 70/30 when it came to PS3/X360, so when I saw lackluster spec on the X1 I decided to pass on it and go only with a PS4.

But I did just get the new X, hoping to find some exclusives having been out of the loop for many years and there isnt much there. Great bit of hardware tho, solid, *quiet*, quick to boot. Not a great UI (and TERRIBLE WEBSITE). So they need to get someone in to look at the software end of things and they really, really need some titles.

**EDIT: Side note, for anyone interested in getting a new controller for PC, there is a black friday deal going on the xbox design your own pad. Id link, but since its so shit figuring out(/changing) regions, just put "xbox design lab" into your preferred search engine :)

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If you mean the 'Smart TV' app... no thanks. Its horrible on quite a lot of TVs.

Motherboard MSI Edge
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Case FD Torrent
VR HMD Index
Which ones are that bad? I use Netflix often enough now that if there are TVs with such a bad experience it warrants using an additional piece of kit just for that app, that would influence my decision to buy it, so I am interested what I should be avoiding.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Which ones are that bad? I use Netflix often enough now that if there are TVs with such a bad experience it warrants using an additional piece of kit just for that app, that would influence my decision to buy it, so I am interested what I should be avoiding.

Basically every TV that doesn't run WebOS 2.0 or better. And even then, you've got a homescreen that has advertisements on it, lacks functionality compared to a separate box, generally has major latency issues, and stops getting updates way before you switch to your next TV.

Its not a fair comparison, but put a SHIELD next to a Smart TV and you can see the point. Or just any HTPC.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I've used several, from LG, sony, samsung, et al. Not a single one feels nearly as nappy as a basic PC or xbox set up for streaming.

Then there is the issue of the TV apps not getting updated after a few years, leaving you with a worthless "smart" app that doesnt work, and you have to go buy a box anyway....

Motherboard MSI Edge
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Case FD Torrent
VR HMD Index
Well the point on ads is definitely moot, its a single button press on the remote. I couldnt believe reading a review on an LG on rtings.com and talking about ads! I dont pay that amount of money to see ads.

As for any HTPC, I have one, if Im not mistaken it doesnt even do 4K. It is old, I dont use it really, it was meant to stream movies but even that job has been taken from it. Thats the thing with tech, it moves on. My main TV in the sitting room is a 2nd gen Sony 4K, it doesnt do HDR, no matter what box I may attach... tech moves on! Despite it being their flagship, tech moves on. It doesnt feel laggy tho, other than a rather sluggish 6-8 sec start up time, beyond that its good to go. Ive never been flicking up between tiles thinking "this is slow". I have a 4th gen Sony 4K in the bedroom, its perhaps twice as fast to start the app (a few secs), and again beyond that its good to go. If I turn off the TV while using Netflix, it comes back on right where I left off, it doesnt get faster than that!

So between the many devices Ive used Netflix on, theres a few note worthy differences to me. I hate on screen keyboards (thankfully, rarely needed). Convenience & Speed - a single button press is as convenient as it gets and while it may take 3 secs to start the app vs pretty much (thanks logo!) instant on a PC its not something Ill lose sleep over, Ive not timed how long it takes between hitting Play and the program starting, but Id say its a hair under 2 secs on PC vs a hair over 2 secs on the TV, that also goes in the 'not lose sleep over' pile, your time may be more valuable than mine tho, I dont know! And then there is FF/RW, being able to directly manipulate the duration bar cant be beat, I hate how the app on I think on any device that doesnt allow that (TV/Console/Apple TV) can be annoying if you missed a word and want to go back a few secs and end up back 20 secs because it clumps it in 10 sec segments, so on that front PC/iOS/anything that can directly interact with the duration bar wins easily.

Anyway thread derailment over for me. I dont see you convincing me a 3rd party box is needed. All tech moves on. All of it. Even as nice as the TV in my sitting room is, its a few years old now and Im itching to move on to a nice OLED. It would be very naive of me to think this next one will be the one thats going to last and last, I know in >5 years of buying that TV something else will have caught my eye. The seconds saved using PC isnt worth talking about (for me personally), and it is even saved? You need to ignore the time it takes to switch input on TV, so I wouldnt even be that confident whos going from zero to watching their show! And franky its not something I want to spend time debating!

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
There is another issue with Smart TV, and that is the massive hole it blows in your network security. In a world where even websites can serve you ads with malware, and a world where margins on TVs do not really inspire companies to spend a whole lot on security apart from DRM...

Also, I see you like to swap TVs every few years (wtf?) but personally, most of my TVs last 10+ years and really should be able to. Tech moves on you're right, but it moves quite a whole lot slower than you may want to think in reality. Evidenced by us watching our 1080i cable content on our 4K TVs ;)

Anyway. That Xbox...