• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

We Need a Lost Cryptocurrency Crawler: 4 Million Bitcoins Lost in the Ether

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Cryptocurrencies as they currently are implemented are one of the most divisive subjects among the tech and economic communities in recent years. No, really; it's reached a kind of "Hayek vs Keynes" level of argument in the later. But one thing can't be denied: some early adopters of the technology have cashed in thoroughly and profoundly on the leading cryptocurrencies. The fact that Bitcoin has appreciated some 340% in the last six months (around $7,300 value increase in a single coin of the cryptocurrency) means many people more will see unbelievable surges in their net worth. Today, a single Bitcoin is trading for around $9,530 - and this is a cryptocurrency that, in its infancy, was being used to trade at rates of thousands of Bitcoin per pizza.

However, as with every currency, there's inevitable losses; paper money has seen its fair share of that, and galleons and caravels filled with gold up to the mast used to sink in oceans all around the world. But cryptocurrency is a digital currency; it's impossible for it to deteriorate away, to be lost with your wallet, or any other exceedingly sad case of lost value. Right? Well, not so; it's encryption algorithm ensures that for users to be able to access the contents of their digital wallets, they have to know the password. And many passwords have been lost and forgotten. Some users have even thrown away HDDs with wallets containing thousands of Bitcoin, and some have even lost their hardware wallets.

A new study by blockchain analysts Chainalisys says that the amount of Bitcoins actually lost in the system is of around 3.79M coins - which today, would amount to around $20B lost, somewhere in random bits and bytes across the world. Remember that the total, finite supply of Bitcoin stands at 21M Bitcoins - this means around 20% of the total possible circulating value of this currency is already lost. Whether or not this amount of lost Bitcoin is already represented in the overall Bitcoin pricing remains to be seen (remember that lower supply usually translates to higher demand and correspondingly higher value).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I do have a question. what happens when all of the coins are "mined"?

You win the internet and it shuts off.....

Well, probably not, but wouldn't that be a surprise?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

Once it's all been mined you then grab a large plastic bucket and hold it under the front of your PC, start the mining program and then press the eject button on your CD/DVD/BR drive - If you're the 151,183,487,833,348,751,947,821,454th tray eject request, the tray will open and ALL of those coins will come out.
Just make sure you use a large enough bucket to catch 'em all.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
LOL @ you win the internet and it shuts off! :laugh:

Seriously though, when there will be nothing left to mine, they will charge a fraction of a bitcoin for every transaction to pay the verificator(miner) of that transaction.
So to pay a bitcoin you need to pay 1.0005BTC.
Exactly how banks do it today.
Probably, they will eventually grow the block size to 32Mb and then we'll have a new bank circuit run by exactly the same people ho run visa today.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Seriously though, when there will be nothing left to mine, they will charge a fraction of a bitcoin for every transaction to pay the verificator(miner) of that transaction.
So to pay a bitcoin you need to pay 1.0005BTC.
Exactly how banks do it today.
Probably, they will eventually grow the block size to 32Mb and then we'll have a new bank circuit run by exactly the same people ho run visa today.
That's exactly what I expect to happen too, and this is when things will get interesting.

Btw, fun fact, the power consumption to verify a single transaction is around $25 due to electricity consumption for mining.

Btw, fun fact, the power consumption to verify a single transaction is around $25 due to electricity consumption for mining.

If someone in here has a significant amount of BTC in their wallet, I suggest to buy real goods or services with that.
The blockchain as a verification technology is something we could use in day to day transactions, but I think that assigning a value to it's constituents is not going to be sustainable in the long run.
The blockchain is a tool and our first craft with it (BTC) is not the best ever seen, really.

ppn

Just because people are buying it it doesnt mean it is worth something. And besides how do we know that they are not rigging it and selling it among themselves, a select group of people and the rest are just being dragged along with it at current prices. and the asking price for conversion. is 12.5 euros.... the same as forex people are just playing with you..

Hedgemon

Just because people are buying it it doesnt mean it is worth something. And besides how do we know that they are not rigging it and selling it among themselves, a select group of people and the rest are just being dragged along with it at current prices. and the asking price for conversion. is 12.5 euros.... the same as forex people are just playing with you..

Hi, You must be new to currencies and the internet.
Here is a quick guide on why any currency is worth anything, bitcoin in particular.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/100314/why-do-bitcoins-have-value.asp

Thanks! :)

With Bitcoin there will only be 21,000,000 coin ever mined! There are Altcoins like Eth, Zcash etc.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

To seriously answer your question, bitcoins theory is that transaction fees become the new block reward.

This is plausable, but it makes spending bitcoin insanely expensive. We are already seeing this problem with like dollar high or more transaction fees.

Bitcoin as it stands is a dying beast. There is future in it's ideas however.

Just because people are buying it it doesnt mean it is worth something.

Actually, it does, if only for the present.