• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Confirms Raven Ridge APUs Boast of Mobile XFR Technology

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
It's been confirmed by AMD that the company's XFR (eXtended Frequency Range) tech that has made its way to the company's desktop Ryzen CPUs has seen its way i to the company's APUs as well, in the form of mXFR. This much was to be expected - mobile form factors arguably represent the best platform for dynamic frequency changes, marrying best performance and power consumption whenever one or the other is required. Speaking to TechReport, an AMD representative confirmed that Raven Ridge chips will feature mXFR capabilities depending on the platform they're implemented in, and spoke in particular of the Ryzen 5 2500U + HP ENVY x360 capabilities on that particular front.

"Not all notebooks with the AMD Ryzen mobile APU will offer the necessary thermal solution to enable the performance upside of mXFR," the AMD representative said, "but the HP ENVY x360 featuring the AMD Ryzen Processor with Radeon Vega Graphics is the first solution to do so. Users will look for "amplified mXFR performance" in the marketplace should they desire a laptop that offers this capability." This means that while typical TDP for Raven Ridge solutions should stand at the 15 W value, power consumption of the CPU + GPU combo can increase its TDP up to 25 W given particular workload, battery state and temperature conditions, which should increase performance in detriment of battery life.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Sounds very interesting and I hope we will soon see proper benchmarks on real life scenarios and more!

Not too many models out with Raven Ridge APU yet, has HP got exclusive deal from AMD?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Erm, AMD confirmed that there's mobileXFR in Raven Ridge's when they launched them. What was new is that HP Envy uses a Raven Ridge with mXFR enabled, not that RR can have it.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Now all we need is upgradable notebook cooling solutions (besides your usual chassis modding) :D

Come on AMD, bring us Basilisk APU's already!
Don't count on it. Any source with those codenames are obviously wrong and outdated. Like saying Bristol Ridge has Zen cores and launching in 2016. And I don't really know if there's much point it to besides fanless designs. Raven Ridge can go down to 12W. These supposed Cat-core replacements are probably abandoned somewhere along with ARM cores.
Not too many models out with Raven Ridge APU yet, has HP got exclusive deal from AMD?
No. Lenovo and Acer have announced models but they're not really rushing to get them out. There aren't any OEMs expecting any major sales so they only hope to sell some cheapo laptops while maintaining their relationship with AMD. We might see more models announced at CES but I'm not really expecting any OEMs to take and gambles or try to raise bar for AMD laptops. I'm only expecting more of the same.

AMD is "confirming" more things than they're actually releasing. Investors have already stopped paying attention, so what's the point?

We'll we finally see a Ryzen-powered business PC by February? Or did vendors decide this platform is not worth the fuss and they're waiting for Zen+ already?

Correct me if I'm wrong: are there any high-end notebooks built around Zen with screen <= 14"?
I know about HP Envy x360, but it's just in the 15" variant.

BTW: HP is not exactly proud of their Ryzen products. Nothing here:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/search/search-results.html?ajaxpage=1#/page=1&/qt=ryzen

Don't count on it. Any source with those codenames are obviously wrong and outdated. Like saying Bristol Ridge has Zen cores and launching in 2016. And I don't really know if there's much point it to besides fanless designs. Raven Ridge can go down to 12W. These supposed Cat-core replacements are probably abandoned somewhere along with ARM cores.

No. Lenovo and Acer have announced models but they're not really rushing to get them out. There aren't any OEMs expecting any major sales so they only hope to sell some cheapo laptops while maintaining their relationship with AMD. We might see more models announced at CES but I'm not really expecting any OEMs to take and gambles or try to raise bar for AMD laptops. I'm only expecting more of the same.

Looks like there won't be any dual core Zen based APU's. From the looks of it, it'll only be Stoney Ridge, basically single threaded IPC tuned Bulldozer at 28nm for the low end.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Erm, AMD confirmed that there's mobileXFR in Raven Ridge's when they launched them. What was new is that HP Envy uses a Raven Ridge with mXFR enabled, not that RR can have it.
Exactly. This "news" report is a misunderstanding by the editor, no more. AMD talked plenty about mXFR at the RR launch.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD is "confirming" more things than they're actually releasing. Investors have already stopped paying attention, so what's the point?
AMD confirmed this feature when they launched Raven Ridge. The new piece was that HP Envy x360 has mXFR enabled, but TPU somehow missed the whole point

Another stupid headline that misses the actual news - HP x360 is set to use 25W TDP. We knew RR APUs use mXFR since they were announced many months ago.