• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crytek Sues Cloud Imperium Games for Breach of CryEngine Contract

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Crytek has filed a suit against Cloud Imperium Games (developers of Star Citizen and Squadron 42) for wrongdoings regarding Crytek's CryEngine. Cloud Imperium Games has recently moved over to Amazon's Lumberyard, a free, cross-platform triple-A game engine which has been built-upon by Amazon, based and licensed from Crytek's CryEngine in 2015. Apparently, in doing so, Cloud Imperium Games has violated a number of agreed-upon items on their engine licensing contract, for which Crytek is now going after for damages and compensation.

The essence of the suit stands in that Crytek only licenced its engine for the development of a single game - Star Citizen - and that CIG is now developing a second one in Squadron 42, for which it had no rights to use Crytek's IP and assets. Futhermore, CIG agreed, when signing the contract, to use Crytek's logos as part of the game development and final game presentation, so as to provide awareness for the company, but has since removed them from all instances of the game.

Crytek is also saying that they "invested significant time and expense in creating impressive demonstrations and proofs-of-concept that were used to persuade the public to contribute financially to a "crowdfunding" campaign to support development of the video game.", of which they really have no gains to show for. As part of the suit, Crytek is going after at least $75,000 in direct damages (excluding all indirect damages), as well as a percentage of the profits CIG achieves with its games, among other forms of compensation - all to be determined in court.

CIG has responded to the Crytek lawsuit as it was originally covered in DSOGaming, saying that "We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn't used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon's Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter." I guess we'll see all about this fight, won't we?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Wait, so now Squadron 42 is another game? This is the only reason I even put any money into this debacle...Keep moving the goal posts CIG it’s going to catch up with you soon...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Wait, so now Squadron 42 is another game? This is the only reason I even put any money into this debacle...Keep moving the goal posts CIG it’s going to catch up with you soon...
That's Crytek's assertion, which a large portion of their case relies upon. CiG always said Squadron 42 would be separate from Star Citizen a la SC is the multiplayer module, S42 is the singleplayer module. I've never noticed them refer to it as a whole separate game. Crytek are dragging themselves out of the tar pit and have been for many years now. They're essentially an IP company, and this sort of litigation is a desperate attempt at raking in some cash since CiG have moved their business to Amazon (with LumberYard).

EDIT: They also heavily relied on CiG to provide Crytek with bugfixes for their engine. As part of their GLA CiG said they'd send back source code to Crytek with bugfixes for their engine, optimisations etc. CiG started doing a series called bugsmashing a while back, which Crytek reference in this case. Basically a number of things have happened over the last two years between Crytek and CiG, and instead of litigating when things happened, Crytek have now decided to litigate just as they discover that CiG are trying to distance themselves from Crytek (because they're actually a bit of a cancer now) upon discovery that they're using a competitor instead. Seriously, go read the GLA between Crytek and CiG. It reeks of desperation on Crytek's part and is remarkably strict, almost on EA levels of "use Frostbite or we will execute you".

In fairness CiG shouldn't have let themselves get into this state. I am curious however about which parts of the GLA are actually able to stand in court. You can write T&Cs however you like, demanding firstborns etc, but it whether it holds it weight in law that matters.

Last edited:
Scam Citizen, episode 156678. The best one after paying for land.

They will fail so miserably and I will never get my money back.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
That's Crytek's assertion, which a large portion of their case relies upon. CiG always said Squadron 42 would be separate from Star Citizen a la SC is the multiplayer module, S42 is the singleplayer module. I've never noticed them refer to it as a whole separate game. Crytek are dragging themselves out of the tar pit and have been for many years now. They're essentially an IP company, and this sort of litigation is a desperate attempt at raking in some cash since CiG have moved their business to Amazon (with LumberYard).
Which is a little odd in itself considering Lumberyard is Cryengine based...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Which is a little odd in itself considering Lumberyard is Cryengine based...

People prefer to use the engine under Amazon's terms than Crytek's. Crytek have done nothing with their engine and rely on developers to backpost their work on the engine to provide improvements. Lumberyard itself is miles ahead of what Cryengine used to be https://www.pcgamesn.com/breakaway/amazon-lumberyard-cryengine-update
This is about a legal binding contract to which has been violated multiple times. There is a confidentiality agreement in the contract which was also violated multiple times.
For the record you can't legally bind somebody to do something illegal/unreasonable/completely impracticable. You can write what you want in a LA, but it's down to what you can actually litigate in court. I think CiG would have er'd on the side of caution and checked their legal options before taking any actions over the last two years. I don't know who is in the wrong but something smells odd, especially when it comes from Crytek. Just watch and wait to see what comes of this story. Methinks a privately agreed settlement behind closed doors.

Last edited:
People prefer to use the engine under Amazon's terms than Crytek's. Crytek have done nothing with their engine and rely on developers to backpost their work on the engine to provide improvements. Lumberyard itself is miles ahead of what Cryengine used to be https://www.pcgamesn.com/breakaway/amazon-lumberyard-cryengine-update
What you're saying has nothing to do with the agreement CIG signed with Crytek. That is a legal binding agreement. Please read the lawsuit in the link I posted previously.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
What you're saying has nothing to do with the agreement CIG signed with Crytek. That is a legal binding agreement. Please read the lawsuit in the link I posted previously.
You're reading a lawsuit, not the original GLA. You can't possibly say what in the GLA is actually legitimately legally binding without seeing it. Patent trolls exist, though I'm not saying Crytek has reached those levels yet. Don't simply judge a party because they're being sued, or because you have a predisposition to dislike the defendents. I'm no fan of CiG and have all but given up on their pipe dream. I'm not beyond legal sensibilities however.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro

As I understand it, Crytek basically went defunct what...in 2015? Stopped paying it's people. Not sure how you hold up on your agreements when all your people leave due to non-payment. And if Crytek wasn't able to hold up on it's end of that agreement, CIG should have the ability to legally break any outstanding agreements. A contract goes both ways.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
As I understand it, Crytek basically went defunct what...in 2015? Stopped paying it's people. Not sure how you hold up on your agreements when all your people leave due to non-payment. And if Crytek wasn't able to hold up on it's end of that agreement, CIG should have the ability to legally break any outstanding agreements. A contract goes both ways.
Ugh, it gets messy. As a governor and director I have access to their various filings, accounts, documents etc on a online portal. Crytek UK Limited was dissolved in 2016 officially, but they spent a good few years slowly transferring their shares and IP to Crytek Gmbh. This was ongoing since 2010 (see attachment) and nobody seemed to notice... The Founders and directors of the two companies are identical. Two brothers remained directors at UK Limited while the third (Cevat, now Crytek Gmbh CEO) set up the Gmbh. I might also add that while Crytek was refusing payments to their employees, the CEO Cevat was raking in $357,000 a year plus bonuses plus "compensations" while the company was pulling just over half a million in profit a year. He was paying himself and his brothers handsomly while "delaying" payments as he put it to his employees. They were into some really shady stuff. The only reason the Crytek Gmbh exists today is because of an anonymous donor who injected cashflow into Cevat's Gmbh, and to this day he refuses to disclose the information of who that was.

EDIT: If the Yerli brother's were unbelievable stupid, the GLA would have been legally bound between CiG and Crytek UK Limited. As such since the company was dissolved and nobody made an agreed upon update to the GLA or if there is no law automatically transferring legally binding documents like GLA's between international entities technically controlled by one another... I don't even know. I need to see that GLA.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Once again taking it to the next level: already being sued, with no finished product in sight.
Of course, this is a perfect excuse for another 1-2 years delay. Or maybe asking for more funds "because the lawsuit is beeding us dry". Now where did I put that popcorn?

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Crytek just makes me sad

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The essence of the suit stands in that Crytek only licenced its engine for the development of a single game - Star Citizen - and that CIG is now developing a second one in Squadron 42, for which it had no rights to use Crytek's IP and assets.

This makes no sense. Both the single player (Squadron 42) and the Star Citizen were announced at the same time.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
On the filing (# according to the filing)...

#2 They so oversell the value of their engine. CIG/RSI abandoned Crytek because it reached a point where Crytek was dragging down production.

#3 Unless they have documented proof of that CIG/RSI contracted Crytek to invest in Star Citizen's marketing campaign, this point is going no where. Crytek likely considered any expensive an investment back into their engine at the time so those resources are simply spent and CIG/RSI is not liable for it.

#4 Basically admits #3 wasn't under contract. CIG/RSI did the things Crytek says here for years. As the scope of the project grew, it became increasingly clear that Crytek is taking more than its giving. Crytek may feel cheated, but so was CIG/RSI. Judge will take that into consideration.

#22 Unless they have documentation that proves it, I don't think this holds water. Roberts always called the single-player component of the game "Squadron 42." CIG/RSI will likely make the argument that they just gave the campaign a name (which isn't extraordinary in the game industry).

#23 Stand-alone video game...as a component of Star Citizen. You're still going to require the core game assets to play it so it's not a separate game--you're just not getting everything when you buy the standalone version.

#33/34 Crytek may have an argument here. Just because Roberts renames the engine doesn't mean he has license to do so. Roberts said "We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015" so this is close to a year later. CIG/RSI's responsibility doesn't end unless there was a written agreement to do so.

#38 Is also pretty damning. Again, judge will have to take into consideration that CryEngine became a burden to development.

#39 Crytek earned the ire of CIG/RSI by being very unhelpful.

Section D: Since CIG/RSI changed to Lumberyard, this was something they could no longer do because they entered into an agreement with Amazon. The "bug fixes and optimizations" are no longer something Crytek can claim from CIG/RSI. CIG/RSI will easily argue that there was literally no changes that effect CryEngine so they didn't provide any...because there weren't any. Section D will be thrown out.

#50 I don't think will gain much traction because Star Citizen was crowdsourced. It will be an uphill climb to prove that CIG/RSI showed enough to actually damage Crytek.

#51 If Crytek can get Faceware to vouch for their claim, it will stick. If CIG/RSI can prove that they only received their own information, then it won't.

I think Crytek will probably get something for severing the contract but I suspect it will be substantially less than they want. Case in point: I highly doubt Crytek will get a share of sales like they're demanding.

Last edited:

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
This makes no sense. Both the single player (Squadron 42) and the Star Citizen were announced at the same time.
Back then, it really sounded like Squadron 42 will be just SC ina sandbox with a story. Over time, it has become increasingly more apparent Squadron 42 will become a game on its own. That may be what the lawsuit is about. But I honestly don't care about two companies doing their laundry in public.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Moral of the story is that CIG/RSI should have signed a severance agreement at the end of 2015 with Crytek.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Once again taking it to the next level: already being sued, with no finished product in sight.
Of course, this is a perfect excuse for another 1-2 years delay. Or maybe asking for more funds "because the lawsuit is beeding us dry". Now where did I put that popcorn?
INB4 "we had to drop squadron 42, despite being the most expensive game ever produced, because we weere given a lolsuit. In other news, the MMO will now have lootboxes to determin whether or not you get to keep your land. Start preordering crates now, only a limited number will be produced per day!!!"

Roberts cant keep his promises. As awful as it sounds, there needed to be a publisher holding his leash for star citizen to be any good. I'll be amazed if the game ever releases.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
INB4 "we had to drop squadron 42, despite being the most expensive game ever produced, because we weere given a lolsuit. In other news, the MMO will now have lootboxes to determin whether or not you get to keep your land. Start preordering crates now, only a limited number will be produced per day!!!"

Roberts cant keep his promises. As awful as it sounds, there needed to be a publisher holding his leash for star citizen to be any good. I'll be amazed if the game ever releases.
Lootboxes are distasteful, but I think the fuel for ships should become a microtransaction :p

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
Lootboxes are distasteful, but I think the fuel for ships should become a microtransaction :p
Literal space gas stations. Oh, and the in game character needs to be hungry, so you'd have to buy food at said stations too! :laugh:

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
No wonder CIG going away from Crytek, a company with great talent (at least visual wise) and bad management

Also, It's been a while since I read something called Star Citizen, I hope it's released in my lifetime

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Literal space gas stations. Oh, and the in game character needs to be hungry, so you'd have to buy food at said stations too! :laugh:
Also thirsty so they have to pay for the bathroom afterwards ;)

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
Also thirsty so they have to pay for the bathroom afterwards ;)
And Taxes! There need to be taxes on your income in game so in game infrastructure can be maintained. And if you dont have enough money in game your ship will be impounded and you thrown into jail until you can pay, but dont worry, you can solve that with a small micro-transaction to pay off your virtual taxes!

Heck, Roberts may be creating the greatest life simulator of all time! :roll:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
And Taxes! There need to be taxes on your income in game so in game infrastructure can be maintained. And if you dont have enough money in game your ship will be impounded and you thrown into jail until you can pay, but dont worry, you can solve that with a small micro-transaction to pay off your virtual taxes!

Heck, Roberts may be creating the greatest life simulator of all time! :roll:
I thought taxes were implied. All those space roads aren't going to maintain themselves, are they?

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
Breach of contact is breach of contract at this point.

Last edited: