• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Released "Coffee Lake" Knowing it Was Vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown

For it to date back as far as it has that is pretty serious and they were hiding it
You'd think, but the reality is most companies and researchers do not release vulnerability findings like this to the pubic without giving those affected by it a chance to research it themselves. Just throwing out to the public willy-nilly would be an act of gross irresponsibility. So yes, companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc., etc. will keep such info confidentual until they have time to solve the problem. Intel and the researchers were being responsible, not secretive or sneaky. Meltdown is effectively solved and that solution will be refined in the coming months. And this is why we have a fix for within days instead of weeks or months.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You'd think, but the reality is most companies and researchers do not release vulnerability findings like this to the pubic without giving those affected by it a chance to research it themselves. Just throwing out to the public willy-nilly would be an act of gross irresponsibility. So yes, companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc., etc. will keep such info confidentual until they have time to solve the problem. Intel and the researchers were being responsible, not secretive or sneaky. Meltdown is effectively solved and that solution will be refined in the coming months. And this is why we have a fix for within days instead of weeks or months.

This.

You all have to keep in mind that if someone finds a leak in your CPU architecture, there is no realistic way to adjust that on a hardware design level anyway, any fix like that is one or two years ahead of us at best. The fact they found this in June, only months before CFLs release, is proof of that in itself. Yes, they knew it was in there, and yes, they were already testing and finding fixes for Meltdown back then. I think its safe to say that we won't see a hardware adjustment until Ice Lake, or beyond.

Communicating leaks before you have solutions is possibly much worse than announcing them days prior to a fix. The entire industry works with that premise, its really telling that people here think otherwise - its a clear sign you have no clue of how this industry functions. While not the best layer of security, Security by Obscurity still is a layer of defense, and it was utilized here.

On the other side of the fence, even AMD releases their CPUs with knowledge of Spectre's existence, and even after official announcements were to be found on Intel's website, AMD's website did not contain a SINGLE TRACE of Spectre's existence. This is a strategy, too, and it shows in everything AMD has put out regarding this issue: they want to silence the issue ASAP, they are making it 'small and inconsequential' if you read their PR. I'll leave it up to each individual to decide what's better...

The bottom line remains: both Intel and AMD had this knowledge around the same time, and the decision to keep this quiet until now has been a unanimous one across ALL related companies. Any alternative decision is much more damaging: to end users, to the industry, to the overall level of trust in every PC we use, and all of the data we handle.

Last edited:
This is a strategy, too, and it shows in everything AMD has put out regarding this issue: they want to silence the issue ASAP, they are making it 'small and inconsequential' if you read their PR. I'll leave it up to each individual to decide what's better...
I don't think that's what AMD is doing at all. The public knows how serious this is. AMD knows they have nothing to add because, at this moment, there is no real solution for Spectre. Like everyone else, they're working the problem and they're not going to say anything until they have something to say.

There real thing with Meltdown and Spectre is this, there are no villains in this matter. Not one manufacturer in their right mind would engineer such a pervasive problem into their products. And the fact that Spectre affects every CPU in existence for the past 25+ years, regardless of architecture, is evidence enough that it was not foreseen and has caught everyone almost equally off-guard. Laying blame at anyone is a waste of time and effort because we'd have to blame everyone equally. Even old games systems like the Playstation and N64 are vulnerable. So let's all stop the blame game, focus on the details of the problems and solving it, shall we?

Because of the way these vulnerabilities work, they take advantage of a very useful set of functions within CPU's that help them work faster and more efficiently. Engineering that out of CPU's is going to take us back at least a decade, performance-wise, and even more than that for some forms of software. Instead, it might be better to find a way to isolate those functions from direct high-level software access, which would mitigate the problems without removing them.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I don't think that's what AMD is doing at all. The public knows how serious this is. AMD knows they have nothing to add because, at this moment, there is no real solution for Spectre. Like everyone else, they're working the problem and they're not going to say anything until they have something to say.

There real thing with Meltdown and Spectre is this, there are no villains in this matter. Not one manufacturer in their right mind would engineer such a pervasive problem into their products. And the fact that Spectre affects every CPU in existence for the past 25+ years, regardless of architecture, is evidence enough that it was not foreseen and has caught everyone almost equally off-guard. Laying blame at anyone is a waste of time and effort because we'd have to blame everyone equally. Even old games systems like the Playstation and N64 are vulnerable. So let's all stop the blame game, focus on the details of the problems and solving it, shall we?

Because of the way these vulnerabilities work, they take advantage of a very useful set of functions within CPU's that help them work faster and more efficiently. Engineering that out of CPU's is going to take us back at least a decade, performance-wise, and even more than that for some forms of software. Instead, it might be better to find a way to isolate those functions from direct high-level software access, which would mitigate the problems without removing them.

You're right, but its not a mistake to think there hasn't gone serious thought over what to publish or what not to publish / say. That, is strategy :)

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I wonder for how long Government agencies and hackers alike have been exploiting bug on systems with INTEL's processors. Intel was aware of this bug well in advance when they released Skylake X and Coffee lake processors and yet they continue to market/sell these processors to consumers and business. It seems as if ethical and moral values hold no value in IT industry any longer. There goes resale value of anyone who purchased these processors.

Asus 1203

Last edited:
Agreed, they're being strategic, but not in any nefarious way.

The only thing wrong is waiting until the last minute while others were already patching their cloud servers. Intel was sitting on their hands for the general public.

The NDA was over on the 9th and if it wasn't for an AMD linux patch leading to the general public disclosure of this. It would still be hush, hush. We wouldn't know how this would have played it out and how Intel would react or have treated it.

The only thing wrong is waiting until the last minute while others were already patching their cloud servers. Intel was sitting on their hands for the general public.

The NDA was over on the 9th and if it wasn't for an AMD linux patch leading to the general public disclosure of this. It would still be hush, hush. We wouldn't know how this would have played it out and how Intel would react or have treated it.
Ok.

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
This talked about it..
This showed it. Kinda interesting.

The only set of benchmarks that stand out as anything more than "statistical margin of error" is the storage benchmarks. And based on the rumblings coming out of variously locations, those performance problems will likely have a fix soon.

System Name Coffee Lake S
Processor i9-9900K
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H115i Platinum RGB
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3466 C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) Dell P2715Q 27" 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply Seasonic 860 watt Platinum
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
And here I am like thousands of others, just an average user seemingly unaffected by Meltdown and Spectre
enjoying my new i7 8700k build.

I guess when I get hit in the head by a piece of falling sky, I'll know to panic. But until then...I think I'll go play some BF1.