• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help a newb under/over volt/clock PLEASE

BenchedADC

Ok my next test with OCCT will be -80.1mV offset and -80.1mV cache offset with x21 multipliers (2.1 ghz)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I would suggest dropping more than 21. You can work your way up again later. First, you need stable low voltage that avoids the 95 C point.

Cache offset I wouldn't touch too much as well, it just needs juice regardless of clocks.

BenchedADC

Unfortunately no I cannot manually insert the offset voltage i want, these are presets.

Ok I will now commence the OCCT test with x20 multipliers. Brb in 5min.. smoke break

Edit: Real quick before I take off for a few min.. what is " Cache Ratio " ?

omg... with 20 multipliers.. seems problem is worse... so far

Core0= 95
Core1= 94
Core2 = 98
Core3= 100,...............

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

BenchedADC

haha this is a "Gaming Laptop"

Okay so even at 20 multiplier and -0.08mV I have thermal issues ;\

fml

Well anywho.. thank you all for assisting me with this forever long lasting issue. I will seek out buying a new comp, hopefully some decent ones for good price on craigslist lol

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
You're gonna either have to undervolt it enough to prevent throttling or get/make a big fan to help the internet cooler, like a cooling pad with fans. You have a hot chip being cooled by a junky cooler. You could try lowering the power limits in control panel to prevent it from boosting. This will keep it from hitting 100% potential speed and keep it from hitting a ton of voltage. Speccy allowed me to see the steps my chip took.

Or power limit 90% it,

Hi, I have been dealing with thermal throttling for about 2.5 years now, I have tried repasting chips with top notch stuff, laptop cooling pad, external housefan etc etc
Your laptop is pretty old and not the best choice for gaming, but it should still be sufficient for LoL.
Based on what you've said/shown, to me it looks like a hardware issue. And granted you've tried to replace thermal compounds, I would assume it's your fault. :)
IMO 2 options:
1) replace it (there are even some slim ultrabooks that will perform better).
2) get it fixed by a proper service, ideally a Lenovo-certified, since they should have the easiest access to the parts that need replacing.

lol i did that step properly notb
I'm not saying you didn't, but a second opinion is always a good idea. ;-)

Your laptop is not working properly. I would try to find the reason, not work on a "patch" like undervolting. Undervolting sucks.

In the meantime, the latest MS Surface has a GTX1060 - this just shows how much has changed since you got your dual 750m. At least consider an update. ;)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
haha this is a "Gaming Laptop"

Okay so even at 20 multiplier and -0.08mV I have thermal issues ;\

fml

Well anywho.. thank you all for assisting me with this forever long lasting issue. I will seek out buying a new comp, hopefully some decent ones for good price on craigslist lol

I seriously doubt it is otherwise you wouldn't have asked for help. Lenovo are not a maker of gaming laptops but business machines.

Probably less than the tickness of a high school textbook too.

Time to get serious and save up for a True Gaming laptop.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I seriously doubt it is otherwise you wouldn't have asked for help. Lenovo are not a maker of gaming laptops but business machines.

Probably less than the tickness of a high school textbook too.

Time to get serious and save up for a True Gaming laptop.
I agree with the last part, however, lenovo has some pretty capable gaming laptops out... legion y920 is one... and it goes down from there. ;)

Last edited:
System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Laptops, like Desktops are best left to builds where you get to pick the componentry. The economocs of laptops, even more so than desktops, are that "build to need" is an inefficient process. Very hard to make money when their are variances in the assembly line. You basically are in the same category of a desktop w/ Intel stock cooler. Having to stock different parts, change the line, train employees from order to shipping departments seriously hurts the bottom line. Even with custom builders, where customer has option to upgrade CPU, the heat sinks and rest of cooling system have not been made larger to accommodate the extra heat.

Laptop chassis are built to miniimize wasted space ... having different size cooling systems, destroys that paradigm. Clevo laptops I had found actually did make such an accommodation ... well at least did when we started using them. I haven't checked since. I have always put an OC on CPU and GPU, tho of course not what I would try on a desktop. I had even called support when nVidia started the practice of throttling the GPus when stress testing was detected and they explained the work around (use Furmark instead). Being able to select each component in a build, desktop or laptop is an an alternative I refuse to go without. For the ;ast 10 years or so, we been buying our lappies from LPCdigital; the guy that walks you thru model and component selection is the same guy you'll speak to for any tech support questions throughout the life of the product.

Must also be noted, that Lenovo, HP, Dell and all the names you are familiar with do not actually **make** a single laptop. MSI makes their own ... the other option is Clevo or their retail arm Sager. From Wikipedia ... "The vast majority of laptops on the market (94% in 2011) are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Origoinal Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China

Major relationships include:

The vast majority of laptops on the market (94% in 2011) are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based original Desin Manufactueres (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.

Major relationships include:

• Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
  • Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
  • Winstrom (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
  • Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
  • Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
  • Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
  • Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP"

Last edited:

BenchedADC

OMG **** YESSSSSS!!! **** YESSSSSS!!! I just did this mod: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

The chassis mod, modifying the vents.. taking them off and cutting plastic off to reveal my GPU fans for ABSOLUTE ZERO airflow .. booted comp and loaded Throttlestop immediately.. first thing i saw was my x19 multiplier profile idleing at freaking 28*

after i see this i immediately UP my multipliers to 34 and look @ these fucking temps, omg im so happy lol!

Attachments

• WOOHOO.png
    WOOHOO.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 294
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
OMG **** YESSSSSS!!! **** YESSSSSS!!! I just did this mod: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...ealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

The chassis mod, modifying the vents.. taking them off and cutting plastic off to reveal my GPU fans for ABSOLUTE ZERO airflow .. booted comp and loaded Throttlestop immediately.. first thing i saw was my x19 multiplier profile idleing at freaking 28*

after i see this i immediately UP my multipliers to 34 and look @ these fucking temps, omg im so happy lol!
Super great and so glad you did NOT give up! Dang you a Marine? Thank you for your service and Prayers are with you believe that!

EDIT ....my apologies I forgot to welcome you to TPU, Welcome to TPU and I hope you stick around! :lovetpu:

I hope there is a way you can figure it out, but everything I tried just got me to the fact that the cooling is insufficient for the parts inside of it, and unless you want to play really old titles, you may want to sell it off and look for something more capable.
sneekypeet he figured it out and showed provable good results so let us know how you get on too!

BenchedADC

Super great and so glad you did NOT give up! Dang you a Marine? Thank you for your service and Prayers are with you believe that!

EDIT ....my apologies I forgot to welcome you to TPU, Welcome to TPU and I hope you stick around! :lovetpu:

sneekypeet he figured it out and showed provable good results so let us know how you get on too!
Yes sir, 6072 GSE Ground Support Equipment, lat changed over from 0311 infantry

Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Yes sir, 6072 GSE Ground Support Equipment, lat changed over from 0311 infantry
I KNEW it!!!! Your persistence to over come is how I figured it! My Niece and her Husband are also from the Marines :clap::peace::toast:

Also thank you for reporting back to TPU with the fix that worked for you and the results it brought to you! It will help others for sure!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
@sneekypeet he figured it out and showed provable good results so let us know how you get on too!

Yeah, no. While it works, I'm not going to hack open the laptop to game on it. When I got mine, it was cheaper than other comparable offerings, so I grabbed it up. Never had the intent to game on it long term, and for what I use it for daily, I have no issues with temperatures ;)

I would suggest many cans of compressed air after doing said mod though! Removing all of the dust protection just means that in time the dust will now fill the fans and heatsinks, and soon the OP will be back in the same position he was originally. Rather than just wiping off the dust cover, he now has to open the laptop time after time for cleaning.

BenchedADC

Yeah, no. While it works, I'm not going to hack open the laptop to game on it. When I got mine, it was cheaper than other comparable offerings, so I grabbed it up. Never had the intent to game on it long term, and for what I use it for daily, I have no issues with temperatures ;)

I would suggest many cans of compressed air after doing said mod though! Removing all of the dust protection just means that in time the dust will now fill the fans and heatsinks, and soon the OP will be back in the same position he was originally. Rather than just wiping off the dust cover, he now has to open the laptop time after time for cleaning.

I am well aware of this, thank you for the heads up tho

I didn't really want to do this either but hey.. ive been dealing with my thermal problems for like 2-2.5 yrs now, and i finally this morning just got my regular operating system function back lmao now i can enjoy 1 30min game of league of legends without my frames dropping down to a pentium 1 equivalence

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I am well aware of this, thank you for the heads up tho

I didn't really want to do this either but hey.. ive been dealing with my thermal problems for like 2-2.5 yrs now, and i finally this fucking morning just got my regular operating system function back lmao now i can enjoy 1 30min game of league of legends without my frames dropping down to a pentium 1 equivalence

You could also try replacing the TIM'S on the CPU mount, as mostly likely you'll need to soon. There is the option of modding the underside of the lappy, with a huge fan(or several) and a larger cooler. If persistence is your game, I wouldn't think it to hard to get a custom made cooler or anything you might need.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! And MY FREEDOM!!!! :peace:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Awesome find, great result!

Also as others have said, your perseverance is admirable :) How are your temps under load now? In-game?

One final tip you may want to take on board: consider a dust filter mesh in front of the intake fan, or this temperature drop may be short-lived! You could just cut out a bit of mesh from a fan dust filter, they cost a 2-3$. Attach it firmly to the chassis and make sure it can't bend into the fan.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I really hope you put a metal or thick plastic mesh over that hole to protect the guts.

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I wouldn't go any further than some nylon screen with some velcro tape on the out side, if that.