• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI GT72 2PC Dominator Keyboard & Screen Both Bust

Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B450 M
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz White
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Black Edition 8GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVME M.2
Display(s) BenQ GW2765 27" 1440p 100% sRGB
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV mATX Silver TG
Audio Device(s) Creative A250 with Subwoofer
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma, Logitech K780
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've Googled a bit online and found that the screen can simply be replaced, but the keyboard is enclosed by the one-piece chassis, which means I have to take EVERYTHING out to replace the damn keyboard. I'm not sure I've got the patience for that. Besides, I can't find a full keyboard replacement online (as in standard keyboard + numpad)...

What shall I do? It's way past the warranty, by the way. It's a 2014 laptop and I bought it second hand. Right now I'm using both an external keyboard an monitor with the lid down... Got a mouse, too, of course...

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Buy something that works. I mean if you dont want to take the time to replace the keyboard, if its even possible, then, not sure what you really want...

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's a 2014 laptop and I bought it second hand.
I don't know what you really want either. Are you trying to turn it back into a "portable/mobile" computer? If so, then because of its age and history, I think you should just look for a new notebook and continue to use this one as a desktop.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
isnt this the KB?
part number KMSIGT72US $50'ish isnt the cheapest, but its likely due to backlighting fancyness

It does look like it would be a real pita replacement

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Even if that is the keyboard and it turns out easy to replace (backlighting probably just requires one extra - if that - cable connection), the notebook's monitor is still toast. To me, it is just not cost effective to sink money into a 4 year old notebook that was obtained 2nd hand in the first place. While keyboard and monitor failures are not rare, they are not very common either on a relatively young notebook. This suggests to me it was either abused by the original owner, or troublesome from the beginning [red flags waving!].

The notebook works with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor as a desktop and apparently, meeting your computing needs - for now. I say save your pennies and when ready, buy a new notebook.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Even if that is the keyboard and it turns out easy to replace (backlighting probably just requires one extra - if that - cable connection), the notebook's monitor is still toast. To me, it is just not cost effective to sink money into a 4 year old notebook that was obtained 2nd hand in the first place. While keyboard and monitor failures are not rare, they are not very common either on a relatively young notebook. This suggests to me it was either abused by the original owner, or troublesome from the beginning [red flags waving!].

The notebook works with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor as a desktop and apparently, meeting your computing needs - for now. I say save your pennies and when ready, buy a new notebook.

I never said it was worth doing ,but OP mentioned he wasn't able to find the replacement keyboard with number pad. So I provided it for him, and it is the correct one, i double checked.
▶ Compatible Models
MSI GT72 GE72
MS-1781 MS-16J1 MS-16J2
Looks like a single connection if You were curious.

I wont say it is , or isnt for OP to replace these, i would lean towards weighing the cost, and hassle, VS the current value of the device, and if you end up losing, dont do it, if You end up gaining, do it. I will say that if the monitor is anything close to the way the KB was priced, this may not bw worth the replacement, as You might end up several hundred in the hole, and best case scenario, end up wit ha fully working 4 year old laptop.

good luck with Your Choice OP

Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Cooling Stock
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3
Mouse Logitech G403
Software Windows 10 Pro
Okay, some of you aren't clear on what I want. Sorry about that. I want to repair and/or replace these broken parts... It's not really my choice though, it's my brother's and he wants to sell the computer in a working state. A small profit will suffice.

Thanks for sharing that keyboard with me, jboydgolfer. I'll bookmark that.

At the moment I'm thinking my best option is to buy the replacement parts and get my local computer repair shop to replace those two parts. It might be expensive though because the keyboard is so hard to access... There is a video on how to take the whole thing apart on YouTube though. Nevertheless, I wouldn't quite trust myself to put everything back perfectly once I've taken it all apart.

Thanks for your help, people. If it were up to me, I'd replace the screen at most but save my money and replace this problematic laptop with a good desktop PC.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Okay, some of you aren't clear on what I want. Sorry about that. I want to repair and/or replace these broken parts... It's not really my choice though, it's my brother's and he wants to sell the computer in a working state. A small profit will suffice.

Thanks for sharing that keyboard with me, jboydgolfer. I'll bookmark that.

At the moment I'm thinking my best option is to buy the replacement parts and get my local computer repair shop to replace those two parts. It might be expensive though because the keyboard is so hard to access... There is a video on how to take the whole thing apart on YouTube though. Nevertheless, I wouldn't quite trust myself to put everything back perfectly once I've taken it all apart.

Thanks for your help, people. If it were up to me, I'd replace the screen at most but save my money and replace this problematic laptop with a good desktop PC.

Yeah that's what I was saying to Bill. I'm not going to comment on whether or not you should or shouldn't do it ( since there's no way for us to know the entire set of circumstances behind your situation) ,but you had mentioned you couldn't find a keyboard so I provided it.

If you want to make it easier on everybody ,the model numbers would be great ,because it's best not to leave that type of thing up to an eBay or Amazon post title.

I double checked and the keyboard I provided the link to is for that laptop. I don't know if you need the molding and all that that goes around it but that's the whole keyboard keep in mind if you need a new touchpad that something separate generally.

Regarding the screen if you could get the model number that would be wonderful because then it's just a matter of searching that string of numbers and letters otherwise I'll do my best

Edit

This seems to be the right one

https://www.amazon.com/MS-1781-Replacement-Screen-Laptop-Matte/dp/B073SF31KW

If you need the molding in the back cover with the MSI logo like basically the flip top of the laptop you can find that on newegg

just by searching the laptop model # I just saw it

the kb, and screen panel together would run you around $110 or so, as long as there is no other parts needed. If you need the molding for the screen, that will add another $70, but still under $200.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Cooling Stock
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3
Mouse Logitech G403
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah that's what I was saying to Bill. I'm not going to comment on whether or not you should or shouldn't do it ( since there's no way for us to know the entire set of circumstances behind your situation) ,but you had mentioned you couldn't find a keyboard so I provided it.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep it in mind. I've already found a screen replacement for Amazon UK, but I might go and have a look for a back cover replacement since that is damaged as well.

The keyboard just needs to be slotted in as far as I could see from the deconstruction video. I doubt the chassis needs replacing along with the keyboard. The touchpad isn't broken, so that's alright. They're separate parts anyway.

Thanks again :)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A small profit will suffice.
While that notebook was pricey when new, it is still 4 years old. We don't know what your brother paid for it, but there may already be no room for any profit now - let alone after buying a replacement keyboard and screen. :(

It is likely someone could buy a brand new computer with better specs today, for the same amount of money you'll be asking for, or even less. That's just a fact of life with electronics and especially used computers.

And there's no guarantee the replacement parts will work. Also, unless you are an experienced technician, further damage is always possible with such repairs. Doing the repairs yourself means you cannot hold anyone else accountable for such collateral damage. You have to take it to a reputable shop for that and then, of course, you incur additional labor fees, on top of the cost of the parts. And even then, there is still no guarantee the replacement parts will fix the problems. The fact an external monitor works is a good sign as that shows the notebook's graphics solution works but still, unless there is some real troubleshooting, the exact faults have yet to be determined.

If you brought that notebook and replacement keyboard and monitor screen into my shop, I would replace them. But I sure would make sure BEFORE we agreed on the job that you understood I would not guarantee these replacements would fix the issues.

As a technician, I would much rather the notebook be brought in before any replacement parts were ordered. I might find the monitor cable has just been pinched and only the cable needs to be repaired or replaced. Or the keyboard connector was simply knocked loose and needs to be reconnected.

Yeah that's what I was saying to Bill.
FTR, I was not debating or disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out other and very real possibilities. And because of those very real (and very common) possibilities, it my opinion this is not a profitable venture.

I suggest putting it up on eBay now "as is", state what's wrong with it and see what offers come your way before sinking any money into it.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
FTR, I was not debating or disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out other and very real possibilities. And because of those very real (and very common) possibilities, it my opinion this is not a profitable venture.

i understand.
i was just replying/referring to this
Even if that is the keyboard and it turns out easy to replace (backlighting probably just requires one extra - if that - cable connection), the notebook's monitor is still toast. To me, it is just not cost effective to sink money into a 4 year old notebook that was obtained 2nd hand in the first place.

as (I happen to agree with the point you were/are making,) but i didnt want to presume that what we "know" of the mater, is all that is, even though it is VERY likely, and 9/10 times one would be right in making that presumption. I more likely than not would have been wrong, but in this instance, my assumption (or reservation of assumption) was correct., im not saying your point was wrong, as its mine as well, im just reserving it, instead of suggesting it.

but this thread isnt about what you & I think, so i will respectfully digress sir

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but this thread isnt about what you & I think, so i will respectfully digress sir
If our opinions are based on the OPs situation (and not way out in left field on some OT tangent), I believe presenting those opinions are a good thing. We cannot assume posters have already considered all possible, and likely scenarios.

I personally think the fact you and I do agree on the very possible scenario I presented is important for the OP hear. What he does with that information is then up to him or her.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
so now that You have the items located OP, my next recommendation would be (unless you REALLY arent capable) to do the repairs yourself. Laptops arent that hard to fix, often its just a matter of plug this here, and that there, kind of like a lego kit. mostly its just patience, time & tools. I mention this because the Cost of the repair by another will likely match or exceed that of the parts (unless you know someone) . food for thought.

if you must go with a tech, id suggest a Pre-work estimate/quote. that way you can shop around for another option, that way the tech will need to stick to theyre price within reason, and will try to outbid (underbid) theyre competition.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree with the idea of getting an estimate. And if all you want them to do is replace the keyboard and monitor screen, calling around for estimates makes sense - as long as that is all that is wrong.

But as a tech, it is important to understand that when it comes to most electronics problems, unless the problem is visibly apparent (and it usually isn't) troubleshooting to find the actual problem is where the most time, technical knowledge and experience comes into play. Actually removing and replacing parts is usually the easy part from there because the device has already been disassembled. So many shops will charge you to provide an estimate because there is so much labor time involved. But then, if you have them do the work, that estimate fee is applied back into the final bill. This is actually a common and acceptable business model as it prevents these shops from getting ripped off - since again, the actual troubleshooting is hard and time consuming portion of the entire repair process.