• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Is Served: Class Action Lawsuit Launched Over Spectre Vulnerabilities

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
Well Since AMD knew of the flaw before they put their Ryzen cpu's on sale they are in same boat as they can claim against intel. If people claim intel should halted release of their cpu so should have AMD when hearing of said problem as they cpu's yes were launched but it was paper launch and not launched as on sale that you could get it.

This only effects cpu's that they KNEW of the flaw in so intel they can only go after for cpu's that were launched after.

You can not prove that AMD knew this.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Why? The bug is patchable and replacing every CPU impacted by this would take more than a couple years and an enormous amount of money on Intel's part (if you consider that this would mean practically every single CPU in Google and Amazon's data centers,) I would expect them to fight tool and nail, even in collaboration with AMD, to prevent that from happening. Rightfully so though. When a car has a recall, they fix the problem, they don't typically replace the car and patching this fixes the problem.
Only Intel processors that would qualify are E3-1285 v6, most of the C3### series, several Skylake-E processors, and some Xeon W-21## series. These are processors intended to run VMs that were released, without notifying the customers, after Intel was notified of the branch target injection vulnerability. Customers were mislead.

The "fix" creates a performance problem which can't be fixed. It's akin to buying a car that bursts into flames and they "fixed" that problem via an ECU patch that reduces the rated horsepower by 30%; the people that bought the car will probably want a refund or a second recall that fixes the original problem permanently.

You can not prove that AMD knew this.
Everyone got notified six months before the public was notified. It's typically how zero-day exploits are rolled out.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Everyone got notified six months before the public was notified. It's typically how zero-day exploits are rolled out.

Yes, but which SKUs has AMD launched since then? Plus, until a few weeks ago they seemed to be convinced their CPUs are not vulnerable, so if this goes to court, it's going to be hard to prove they launched anything knowing it was affected by a vulnerability.
Anyway, let's not try AMD here. Leave that to the courts and then we can discuss.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The "fix" creates a performance problem which can't be fixed. It's akin to buying a car that bursts into flames and they "fixed" that problem via an ECU patch that reduces the rated horsepower by 30%; the people that bought the car will probably want a refund or a second recall that fixes the original problem permanently.
Except performance loss isn't 30% on average so, exaggeration notwithstanding, it would be more akin to a 5% power loss. This is more like saying, "Yeah, we put an over-sized pulley on the AC and alternator so, output was too low. So we switched out the larger pulleys with smaller ones and everything is good except for the accessories sap a little more power from the engine than it did before to maintain proper output." That's also not misleading because the engine still produces that much power when dyno'ed at the crank because most power numbers are at the wheels after all of the drivetrain losses. In fact, most engines dyno'ed at the crank don't even have accessories setup. CPUs are similar in the sense that it doesn't impact flaw FLOPS or MIPS or whatever raw measure you use but, otherwise impacts performance due to the software. Spectre doesn't make the CPU burst into flames, it just doesn't always behave as expected and hardware erratas crop up all the time.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why? The bug is patchable and replacing every CPU impacted by this would take more than a couple years and an enormous amount of money on Intel's part (if you consider that this would mean practically every single CPU in Google and Amazon's data centers,) I would expect them to fight tool and nail, even in collaboration with AMD, to prevent that from happening. Rightfully so though. When a car has a recall, they fix the problem, they don't typically replace the car and patching this fixes the problem.

Doesn't mean it can't and won't happen, look no further than Volkswagen they're still in the process of scrapping/exporting all the vehicles they had to buyback because they couldn't be fixed.

Yes, but which SKUs has AMD launched since then?
EPYC, Ryzen PRO, APUs, Ryzen 3 and 5.
edit: I forgot about Threadripper. But it seems everyone has forgotten anyway. :p
Plus, until a few weeks ago they seemed to be convinced their CPUs are not vulnerable, so if this goes to court, it's going to be hard to prove they launched anything knowing it was affected by a vulnerability.
You're suggesting they didn't understand the report from Project Zero? Or maybe that they don't know how their CPUs work?
Anyway, let's not try AMD here. Leave that to the courts and then we can discuss.
Does this apply to Intel as well? :p

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Except performance loss isn't 30% on average so, exaggeration notwithstanding, it would be more akin to a 5% power loss. This is more like saying, "Yeah, we put an over-sized pulley on the AC and alternator so, output was too low. So we switched out the larger pulleys with smaller ones and everything is good except for the accessories sap a little more power from the engine than it did before to maintain proper output." That's also not misleading because the engine still produces that much power when dyno'ed at the crank because most power numbers are at the wheels after all of the drivetrain losses. In fact, most engines dyno'ed at the crank don't even have accessories setup. CPUs are similar in the sense that it doesn't impact flaw FLOPS or MIPS or whatever raw measure you use but, otherwise impacts performance due to the software. Spectre doesn't make the CPU burst into flames, it just doesn't always behave as expected and hardware erratas crop up all the time.
Even at 5%, that's basically like losing a core on a 16-core processor. That's significant, especially for cloud computing.

Several Ryzen Threadrippers and the Ryzen APUs. Threadripper has a stronger argument in court.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
What did i say in the intel version of this thread.....premature lawsuit is premature...

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
EPYC, Ryzen PRO, APUs, Ryzen 3 and 5.

The vulnerabilities were reported on June 1, 2017, so I'm not sure Ryzen 3 and 5 belong there. But whatever.

You're suggesting they didn't understand the report from Project Zero? Or maybe that they don't know how their CPUs work?

I'm suggesting they didn't have conclusive proof their CPUs were affected. Their public statements seems to indicate they were convinced they were safe because their implementation is different from Intel's. To be taken with a grain of salt, but atm there's no proof they were lying or anything.

Does this apply to Intel as well? :p

Absolutely. The only difference is apparently the vulnerability was actually demonstrated at the time on at least some Intel CPUs. Otherwise, they both get the benefit of the doubt from me.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Totally correct. Everyone who manufactures CPU's was notified using known good practices. Everyone got the same heads-up and everyone got the same amount of time to work the problem. This case, if it actually sees time in court, will fall to dust as it is, as AMD rightly said, without merit. To that I will add, laughable.

I think people that are saying this are missing the point of these lawsuits. They aren't suing because AMD processors have the vulnerability, they are suing because when AMD went public about the vulnerability they said their processors were not vulnerable when it turned out they were. They said they weren't vulnerable to Spectre 2, then they changed that to "near zero" possibility of exploiting Spectre 2 on their processors. Well, near zero is not zero, and any possibility of exploitation needs to be addressed and they failed to do that.

That said, I don't think these lawsuits are warranted personally, but I can see where people might think otherwise and blame AMD for releasing mis-information about security issues with their products.

They launched the Ryzen 3 processors, as well as ThreadRipper, Epyc , and the mobile lineup of Ryzen. But this doesn't really have anything to do with the lawsuits. These lawsuits aren't about launching products with known vulnerabilities. It is about AMD falsely claiming they were not affected by Spectre 2, then changing their mind and saying their actually are affected by Spectre 2. That is the issue the lawsuits are based on.

Plus, until a few weeks ago they seemed to be convinced their CPUs are not vulnerable, so if this goes to court, it's going to be hard to prove they launched anything knowing it was affected by a vulnerability.

And that is going to be the argument the court has to decide on. Since they were definitely alerted that the vulnerability existed. They had a significant amount of time to determine if their processors were affected or not. And once the vulnerability hit the news, they changed their story a few times about if their processors were affected or not.

So either they were either negligent in not even bothering to test their products to determine if they were affected when they were informed of the vulnerabilities and before making a statement to their customers, or they knew about the vulnerabilities but lied when they originally made their statements about how their products were affected by the vulnerabilities. Either way, both scenarios are reason for a court to at least hear the lawsuit and make a decision.

Last edited:
Again, it would be great if people knew what they were talking about before posting. Intel uses a branch target buffer to store branch memory locations.
THIS is the PRIMARY vulnerability that Spectre 2 uses. AMD does NOT use a BTB. Just like AMD doesn't execute commands on page fault memory
for Meltdown. This makes it extremely difficult to exploit Spectre 2 and impossible for Meltdown. How extremely difficult? I've read that internal hardware
access is needed on an AMD pc (i.e. access to pins on board). Ryzen cpus have DIFFERENT hardware operations, and are NOT the same as Intel.

They are adding an indirect branch prediction barrier and single thread branch prediction barrier firmware just in case. Since Spectre 2 uses the BTB similar
to the page faults in meltdown, and AMD uses fixed memory addresses, Specter cannot change memory locations to store data.
The two items they are adding to the AGESA just make sure the branches stay in their own lanes, so to speak. Just insurance, that's all.

To fix Intel, indirect branch restricted speculation must be added to the firmware. This prevents BTB exploits, but might have a performance hit for some
workloads again, similar to Meltdown

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Case Green Magnum Evo
I'm suggesting they didn't have conclusive proof their CPUs were affected. Their public statements seems to indicate they were convinced they were safe because their implementation is different from Intel's. To be taken with a grain of salt, but atm there's no proof they were lying or anything.

well , There is at least according to notb !

The vulnerabilities were reported on June 1, 2017, so I'm not sure Ryzen 3 and 5 belong there. But whatever.
You're right. Not true for Ryzen 5. Still true for 3 and PRO.
But they got PoCs from Project Zero - even for Meltdown. Code and stuff...
Are you telling me they weren't able to reproduce the results? Now you're suggesting they have very poor programmers on board. Maybe they should hire someone else? I've heard there are some talented guys in Graz. :p

AMD is either lying or showing serious incompetence. Which is worse?

Lets put giant Intel aside.
Arm, having exactly the same material from Project Zero, 25% of AMD's revenue and 30% of staff, managed to reproduce the issues, check all their architectures and even show that they're vulnerable to Meltdown (something Project Zero couln't achieve).

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Imagine if Microsoft were held liable for every serious bug over the years… They would have been bankrupt a long time ago.

Did AMD mislead the public about these bugs? Sure, but how many customers were fooled during those few days?

They can make a case for Threadripper and Raven Ridge. In the case of Raven Ridge, the damages are minimal because there's not much exposure to VMs. Any claims against that will likely be thrown out. Threadripper though, AMD could be in as much trouble as Intel. They knew about the problem but said absolutely nothing about it and launched the product anyway. They are processors aimed at running VMs.
Virtual machines have nothing to do with these defects, VMs are just one of the ways it can be exploited. Any piece of code which can precisely time the execution of certain system calls and other operations can do this, including but not limited to Java applets, Android apps, various scripts and any compiled binary. If I can somehow run a piece of code on a physical machine containing your data, I can in theory reach it. Even Mozilla has tweaked their JavaScript implementation to mitigate the problems. This is not a problem limited to virtual machines in the cloud.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
But they got PoCs from Project Zero - even for Meltdown. Code and stuff...
Are you telling me they weren't able to reproduce the results? Now you're suggesting they have very poor programmers on board. Maybe they should hire someone else? I've heard there are some talented guys in Graz. :p

AMD is either lying or showing serious incompetence. Which is worse?

Lets put giant Intel aside.
Arm, having exactly the same material from Project Zero, 25% of AMD's revenue and 30% of staff, managed to reproduce the issues, check all their architectures and even show that they're vulnerable to Meltdown (something Project Zero couln't achieve).
Afaik, Project Zero only prove the exploit on Intel. AMD was warned, but they didn't seem to be able to actually check the exploit can work on AMD hardware until very recently. The setup for exploiting these vulnerabilities is very complex, so I'm not surprised this wasn't reproduced quicker.
The report only said A8-9600 was vulnerable, but that's not Zen...

Either way, this is fixable, so it's all storm in a cup of water in the end.

Afaik, Project Zero only prove the exploit on Intel. AMD was warned, but they didn't seem to be able to actually check the exploit can work on AMD hardware until very recently.
Incorrect. They shown the exploit working on AMD A8 PRO. They even sent the code.
These materials are public. I've posted the link in reply to behrouz.
The setup for exploiting these vulnerabilities is very complex, so I'm not surprised this wasn't reproduced quicker.
All other companies succeeded.
As I said: Arm even managed to prove Meltdown vulnerability (PZ couldn't).

I expect more from a second largest CPU manufacturer. A lot more.
The report only said A8-9600 was vulnerable, but that's not Zen...
The role of security researchers like PZ is to find a vulnerability. It's manufacturers' role to further test them and check all CPU models they can find in storage.

In fact PZ worked with a fairly recent A8-9600 (it's already AM4). On the Intel side, it was a much older E5-1650 v3 from 2014 - possibly a hint on when they started working on this issue.
Either way, this is fixable, so it's all storm in a cup of water in the end.
No, it's not. The vulnerabilities will be patched (at least when we finally get patches that don't BSOD/brick computers), but we'll also learn a bit about the manufacturers.
Arm's reaction was perfect.
Intel's first reaction was... well... very typical for Intel. But they improved afterwards - also typical for them.
AMD's actions are not what we should expect. And AFAIK enterprise clients are far from amazed...

Once again: think about Meltdown.
The situation is as follows: researchers have suggested that the fundaments for a Variant 3 attack are also true for AMD CPUs. They didn't manage to make a successful attack, but they call it possible. The important part: they said exactly the same about ARM.

Arm admitted that their CPUs are vulnerable to all variants.
AMD said they are not vulnerable to either Variant 2 and 3. Experts around the world reacted with "hey guys, but we've seen Variant 2 working!".
So a week later AMD said that "OK, you're right. Variant 2 is also an issue" and added "but we still believe Variant 3 is not".

In the end a Variant 3 patch will also be applied to AMD systems anyway, so I don't know why they're fighting so much. It's like they didn't care about EPYC sales at all (in fact something I believe to be true :)).

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Case Green Magnum Evo
Once again: think about Meltdown.
The situation is as follows: researchers have suggested that the fundaments for a Variant 3 attack are also true for AMD CPUs. They didn't manage to make a successful attack, but they call it possible. The important part: they said exactly the same about ARM.

They couldn't manage it doesn't mean "oh yes we can expect another Meltdown on AMD CPU"! lol

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Virtual machines have nothing to do with these defects, VMs are just one of the ways it can be exploited. Any piece of code which can precisely time the execution of certain system calls and other operations can do this, including but not limited to Java applets, Android apps, various scripts and any compiled binary. If I can somehow run a piece of code on a physical machine containing your data, I can in theory reach it. Even Mozilla has tweaked their JavaScript implementation to mitigate the problems. This is not a problem limited to virtual machines in the cloud.
Except that's like any virus ever. What's unique about Spectre is that it can reach across VMs. If just one node is compromised, data from all of the nodes can be exposed. That goes beyond the scope of a typical virus. Spectre defeats the purpose of running in a VM in the first place.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Except that's like any virus ever. What's unique about Spectre is that it can reach across VMs. If just one node is compromised, data from all of the nodes can be exposed. That goes beyond the scope of a typical virus. Spectre defeats the purpose of running in a VM in the first place.
Running in a VM is not only about isolation, but you're right.

I don't get the timelines being posted. Tape out is pretty much the last changes to cpu designs, and this is usually over a year from release. Think test
wafers, engineering samples, respin if a mistake is found. Ramp up of wafer production. Wafers sent to be packaged (turned in to cpu's , not boxed).
and then build up enough inventory for release. Anything after ramp up pretty much means it's way too late to fix anything, even if you really wanted to.

AMD was probably well into threadripper by then, but, if you stop and think about it, ALL ryzen, TR, and epyc cpu's use the same cores, just different combinations
with parts fused off and adjusting for yields.

You MIGHT have a point with coffee lake, considering the lack of changes to the cores, but I doubt it. They probably had this taped out a while ago, which is how
they got it to market so quickly. It launched with no ramp up or inventory though, which is going on now. Still probably set before this happened.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Sure, it's unusual that vulnerabilities let you reach across VMs, but the vulnerabilities themselves have nothing to do with VMs. That is a very important distinction.
Any code running on a machine can in theory exploit this. Including the 100 apps on your phone, Java applets and in theory JavaScript in your web browser.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
I just found this article that explains which law firms are suing Intel and which are suing AMD.
http://www.game-debate.com/news/243...tdown-and-spectre-further-2-filed-against-amd
As an AMD cpu user I dont feel like I have been mislead when choosing this CPU since I didn't know about these exploits and this was the cpu I could afford. I dont understand why are the AMD shareholders being mad when AMD's shares went up when the story broke or the NDA was lifted. I guess they can be mad about the statement AMD made that there is a near zero chance spectre could infect the AMD architecture but still AMD made those test's known to the public and proved them self's wrong but still being mad about the near zero announcement is stupid in my opinion, but that is my opinion.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Java applets
I would expect that to be far less likely because memory in Java is isolated to the JVM and you can't do the required operations to get Specrte to occur in Java or any language that runs on the JVM without altering and recompiling the JVM itself. You kind of need a language that gives you access to C-level binding in order to do this in a higher level language. JavaScript on the other hand (in particular Node,) is a lot closer to hardware than one might think and that any number of extensions written in C for it could be used to do this.