• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should owners of processors affected by security problems receive compensation?

Should owners of processors affected by security problems receive compensation?

• Accept returns for the original price

Votes: 1,929 18.5%
  • A percentage equal to the performance lost

Votes: 1,169 11.2%
  • Fixed compensation in the 10% range

Votes: 411 3.9%
  • Offer free replacements

Votes: 2,173 20.8%
  • Get a discount on the next-generation CPU

Votes: 2,209 21.2%
  • Not as long as fixes are provided

Votes: 2,535 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Wow, it's surprising that 26% of people here don't care if they take a performance hit and receive nothing in return. I guess brand image also equals brand forgiveness. Regardless, it's my opinion that the courts should hold Intel responsible, regardless of Intel apologists.

It's rather ironic that Intel's Coffee Lake was recommended over Zen for gaming due to niche 720p gaming performance yet we have a negative performance impact (especially for high end SSD performance) that's being completely forgiven.

I was joking, had the card from launch in oct 2014 up to july 2016 when i bought a 980Ti. Never had a problem with it, and very few games that occupied more than 3GB of vRAM even on 1440p.
Fair enough. There were many who did have problems though. Turning off a few things in the driver stopped it, but that kind of thing should never happen in the first place..

System Name nitro 5
Processor 12500h
Motherboard acer?
Cooling dual fan
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) rtx3060
Storage nvme, finally..
Display(s) fhd ips
Case clamshell
Audio Device(s) realtek?
Power Supply 230w brick
Mouse a touchpad, wireless mouse
Keyboard the build in
Software w10 ltsc
Benchmark Scores what's the point?
vote no, as long as fixes are provided, and next gen processor free from last gen problems..

The only customers that deserve full refund are Coffee Lake owners as Intel already knew about about issues before the release. Everyone else, including myself gonna have to get over it. Sh*t happens.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Wow, it's surprising that 26% of people here don't care if they take a performance hit and receive nothing in return. I guess brand image also equals brand forgiveness. Regardless, it's my opinion that the courts should hold Intel responsible, regardless of Intel apologists.

It's rather ironic that Intel's Coffee Lake was recommended over Zen for gaming due to niche 720p gaming performance yet we have a negative performance impact (especially for high end SSD performance) that's being completely forgiven.

26% of the people know that with tech there are always unforeseen flaws/ security/ and general issues that are yet to be discovered... TLB erratum, rowhammer vulnerabilities, FPU inaccuracies, various other design flaws such as IMT... etc. Every operation, every design element in a CPU is a potential opportunity for a defect. Different teams across the globe working on different features of the CPU that when they all come together is more opportunity for defects.

There are flaws that we are currently just fine living with that they haven't even touched.

If the flaw can be fixed then it's not a problem, if it is a deal breaker or the fix really does hammer out 30 % performance loss then there should be some repercussion or recompense to those heavily affected, however if, as evidenced by current benchmarks, the performance hit is trivial in most situations, then it's just another day...

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
26% of the people know that with tech there are always unforeseen flaws/ security/ and general issues that are yet to be discovered... TLB erratum, rowhammer vulnerabilities, FPU inaccuracies, various other design flaws such as IMT... etc. Every operation, every design element in a CPU is a potential opportunity for a defect. Different teams across the globe working on different features of the CPU that when they all come together is more opportunity for defects.

There are flaws that we are currently just fine living with that they haven't even touched.

If the flaw can be fixed then it's not a problem, if it is a deal breaker or the fix really does hammer out 30 % performance loss then there should be some repercussion or recompense to those heavily affected, however if, as evidenced by current benchmarks, the performance hit is trivial in most situations, then it's just another day...

What gives you the right to claim to speak for other people? No, your opinion expressed here is your's and your's alone. Don't came in here on some high horse.

Two factors make this different than the other "potential flaws" your go on about. 1. Intel initiated in insider trading when it knew about these flaws 2. The flaws are the biggest we have ever seen period.

You don't just get to dismiss this security disaster because "oh flaws will always exist". That is exactly the kind of kiss ass behavior I was talking about, where people like you just brush off the biggest security flaw to date. Yes flaws will exist. That does not mean we give these companies a free pass.

"if it is a deal breaker or the fix really does hammer out 30 % performance loss then there should be some repercussion or recompense to those heavily affected, however if, as evidenced by current benchmarks, the performance hit is trivial in most situations, then it's just another day..."

What are you talking about, the performance impact for storage performance of high speed drives has been shown to be up to 55% fricking percent. Not only is anyone in the enterprise screwed, anyone who relies on their high speed drives are screwed as well. Did you not see the fortnite devs show the 30% increase in server CPU load after the patch? Everyone with an Intel processor is affected by at least a 3% performance dip in all applications all the way up to a 55% dip. Even if the impact isn't huge directly on your computer, you will most certainly see the affect on your online services you use.

Like I said, apologists excusing the worst security flaw ever.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
What gives you the right to claim to speak for other people? No, your opinion expressed here is your's and your's alone. Don't came in here on some high horse.

So when you are talking about the 26% of people that voted "Not as long as fixes are provided" to mean "26% of people here don't care if they take a performance hit and receive nothing in return"

Hypocrisy much?

Your outrage shows a lack of understanding that literally every device on the market and every line of code written at some level has flaws. We still find flaws in production code that someone wrote in the 90's.

Last edited:
So when you are talking about the 26% of people that voted "Not as long as fixes are provided" to mean "26% of people here don't care if they take a performance hit and receive nothing in return" Hypocrisy much? Your outrage and lack of understanding that literally every device on the market and every line of code written at some level has flaws. We still find flaws in production code that someone wrote in the 90's.
It's not hypocrisy when the problem was completely unintentional and affects everyone in similar ways. Life happens, it sucks, but it happens. If we blame CPU makers for these vulnerabilities we then need to, by all proper rights, blame OS devs like Microsoft, Apple and Google for every unintentional vulnerability that is found in their products and force them to issues refunds too. The chances of that happening are zero.

@evernessince is right, you really need to get off that high-horse.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
It's not hypocrisy when the problem was completely unintentional and affects everyone in similar ways. Life happens, it sucks, but it happens. If we blame CPU makers for these vulnerabilities we then need to, by all proper rights, blame OS devs like Microsoft, Apple and Google for every unintentional vulnerability that is found in their products and force them to issues refunds too. The chances of that happening are zero.

@evernessince is right, you really need to get off that high-horse.
I'm not the one blaming the CPU makers -- if you read, I was accused of being an apologist because I literally said the point you're making. I voted for "not as long as fixes are provided."

We aren't going to be holding companies accountable for completely unforeseen flaws that are natural to the industry that they are in. That's all I meant by my initial post.

"if, as evidenced by current benchmarks, the performance hit is trivial in most situations, then it's just another day..."

I like my high horse. It's nice up here. I also didn't insult or accuse anyone of anything... It's not being an apologist when you know what it's like to create something complicated, that makes people's lives better, that then turns out later has a horrific flaw in it. It happens all the time and it sucks for everyone -- but most of the time it's still better than what you had before.

Is it a huge flaw? Yes... Does it suck? Yes... We host a VM farm with a SQL data-warehouse and 3 different EMR systems to a hospital... it will slow us down. Is it the BIGGEST problem we will have? Hell no. It's most likely not even the biggest problem the Fortnight devs have had to deal with - flipping out like an outraged little girl is not going to do anything.

Last edited:
I like my high horse. It's nice up here.
Not disagreeing with your points, but rather your attitude .
I also didn't insult or accuse anyone of anything...
That's not the way it came off. Based on the vocabulary chosen, it seemed condescending. As evidenced by the following;
flipping out like an outraged little girl
You see? There is no need to drop to that level when you can succeed with factual information.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think current gen buyers should get a free replacement and those who bought 1-7 gens ago should receive a discount code/coupon up 50% off their next cpu purchase. Even release a fix if possible that is streamlined and stable without side effects.

I slso think some in here need to step away from their keyboards or phones go outside, stretch, breath deeply

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Not disagreeing with your points, but rather your attitude .

That's not the way it came off. Based on the vocabulary chosen, it seemed condescending. As evidenced by the following;

You see? There is no need to drop to that level when you can succeed with factual information.

My first two posts weren't condescending... But if I am going to be accused, might as well do it. Plus I wasnt responding to you, but to:

Even if the impact isn't huge directly on your computer, you will most certainly see the affect on your online services you use.
Like I said, apologists excusing the worst security flaw ever.

THE WORST security flaw EVER... Really? Not the Mirai Botnet that brought down the Internet for a day in half the country and parts of Europe, not Wanna Cry that cost 4billion, not the fact that you have a billion hack-able devices on the planet and you drive one to work/school everyday. No... The worst security flaw EVER is a cache/prediction vulnerability that is so difficult to find it took some of the top engineers 30 years to even realize it's existence, and it has been used in no known attacks.

And if you don't think that then you're a F*#@*ing apologist.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I think the CPU owners should get compensation, after all we need payment for being raped by the CIA.

System Name Matter's / Helios 300 Predator
Processor Ryzen 7 2700 / i7 7700HQ
Motherboard B450 Tomahawk / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Cooling Arctic Freezer eSports Duo
Memory Patriot Viper ddr4 32gb / 32gb gskill ddr4
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC / GTX 1060 6gb
Storage Patriot Viper nvme M2, crucial MX300 275gb, Samsung 860 qvo 1tb
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / 15.6 1080p HD
Case Antec 300 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Audio Device(s) On Board - Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Cans
Power Supply Antec 850watt high current pro
Mouse Steel series Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 / Acer Helios 300 Predator
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Home
No... The worst security flaw EVER is
your window in your home. A stone or someone's hard head.... hahahaha
Seriously @remixedcat you would not even know you were raped by the CIA, you would think aliens did it..... fire in the sky movie ring a bell?
If it can be fixed without a huge performance loss then I am fine with it. There are far worse things going on around you everyday that needs fixing that have permanent terminal results but people are fine with that. A small perf hit on your computer or smartphone and the world ends.... really?
@eidairaman1 post #36 sums it up very well and I agree

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
your window in your home. A stone or someone's hard head.... hahahaha
Seriously @remixedcat you would not even know you were raped by the CIA, you would think aliens did it..... fire in the sky movie ring a bell?
If it can be fixed without a huge performance loss then I am fine with it. There are far worse things going on around you everyday that needs fixing that have permanent terminal results but people are fine with that. A small perf hit on your computer or smartphone and the world ends.... really?
@eidairaman1 post #36 sums it up very well and I agree

Oh god the window in the home...

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I’m just fighting Windows blocking the patch because it breaks software that’s important to me. My Z97 Sabertooth needs this software to function fully and being Z97 it comes up just short of ASUS’s list to get a BIOS update. So yeah I’m a bit pissed about it but only because it’s inconveniencing me. I’m sure the reported loss of performance installing the patch will also irk me...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I’m just fighting Windows blocking the patch because it breaks software that’s important to me. My Z97 Sabertooth needs this software to function fully and being Z97 it comes up just short of ASUS’s list to get a BIOS update. So yeah I’m a bit pissed about it but only because it’s inconveniencing me. I’m sure the reported loss of performance installing the patch will also irk me...
You are probably referring to AI Suite 3. There is an updated beta with fix.

Users of older version or other software should rather disable the meltdown mitigation (one click in inSpectre, or manually via registry), than fight with updates (what is a bad idea in general).

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Offer free replacements, because the fixes have performance impacts.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
You are probably referring to AI Suite 3. There is an updated beta with fix.

Users of older version or other software should rather disable the meltdown mitigation (one click in inSpectre, or manually via registry), than fight with updates (what is a bad idea in general).
Nope the Beta doesn’t work for me it doesn’t see my sensors so can’t tune my fans and it leaves behind more crap that makes the one for my Mobo very unresponsive. I also have 2 smaller fans one for the VRM and another that supposedly cools the motherland my version of AI Suite has spin up and “dust control” reversers that that Beta wouldn’t know how to handle if it tried. I was thinking of using that program actually I really don’t like missing updates. This is the first time ever I’ve had to actually refuse an update of any kind but after giving that Beta a chance it ruined any chance of my version working to the point I had no choice but to reset Windows and start over

The question is about security problems and if they are fixed, there is no issue. Permament performance loss is a different case and should be handled differently. I would accept the solution of a discount coupon on the next generation of processors, if it's at least 10 %.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
There isn't a fix for Spectre V2, and there probably won't be.

I wouldn't mind a discount.