• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Denuvo 4.8 Has Fallen

Denuvo 4.8 originally debuted last year in Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed: Origins. The French video game publisher even went as far as implementing VMProtect to add an extra layer of protection to the game. Many speculated that Ubisoft's poor decision made the final product so overdemanding on the processor. However, that's a discussion for another day. At the time of its release, Denuvo 4.8 was deemed impossible to break, but let's be realistic here. The impossible just costs a little more. It only took three months for the impossible to happen. Italian warez group CONSPIR4CY (a.k.a CPY) announced in recent days that they've successfully bypassed Denuvo 4.8 used in Sonic Forces.

Besides Ubisoft and Sega, Denuvo has other high-profile customers in the likes of Electronic Arts, Warner Bros, and Lionsgate Entertainment. So, it's only a matter of time before AAA titles like Football Manager 2018, Injustice 2, Need for Speed Payback, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope HD Remaster suffer the same fate as Sonic Forces. Upcoming Dragon Ball FighterZ and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age are probably in line as well. Although, it will be interesting to see how long can Assassin's Creed: Origins fare before someone breaks the game's double protection.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
They/CPY are releasing AC Origins today apparently.

"Poll: Do you think video game developers should stop wasting time and money on DRM?"

Stop doing that, please. There's better phrasing to this question, without manipulating the answer towards one of the two.

TPU staff has to chill out and stop putting too much of their personal opinion into matters that has 2+ sides of an argument.

Stick garbage Denuvo in your game and you can be assured I won't be buying it. DRM always ONLY punishes people who buy the games. DRM is cancer and it just needs to die. Through time, I only had problems with legal copies of games. Where pirated ones worked no problem. Or you even have to go as far and crack a legal copy just so you can play what you frickin' paid for.

As for efficiency of DRM, we present you the news #643876865386438665 about its failure. And yet they just keep on trying. It doesn't work and it's annoying. Stop it.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Glad to hear this piece of garbage has fallen so quickly. Having Denuvo is the reason I cancelled my plan to buy FFXII TZA and DB FighterZ.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Havent they learned that DRM just hurts they legit buyer more than it does the actual pirate?

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
The real victims here are the legit buyers/end users... and the lack of sales always blames piracy when it's the company's own incompetence of implementing a useless anti-tampering software, locks extra content with a paywall, high asking price for a base game, regional availability & whatnot.

"Poll: Do you think video game developers should stop wasting time and money on DRM?" Stop doing that, please. There's better phrasing to this question, without manipulating the answer towards one of the two. TPU staff has to chill out and stop putting too much of their personal opinion into matters that has 2+ sides of an argument.
I disagree entirely. Chino worded that question in a way the sends a message to devs and publishers that frequent the site, and they do come here.

DRM does not work. They will never stop the cracking community. Ever. The sooner devs & publishers stop trying and go the GOG.com route the sooner they will realize that most people who use "pirate" copies of their games are only doing so to get around the hassles and headaches of crap DRM. Stop with the draconian DRM schemes and piracy numbers will drop through the floor. Fewer and fewer gamers are willing to jump through the hoops of those schemes.

I disagree entirely. Chino worded that question in a way the sends a message to devs and publishers that frequent the site, and they do come here.

That's not how journalism works. This isn't a personal blog.
I didn't question the legitimacy of DRM, as i am also against it in most cases.
Also, in some cases DRM does work, ask Blizzard for example.

What games, that aren't MMOs or that revolve around online, haven't been cracked?

"Poll: Do you think video game developers should stop wasting time and money on DRM?"

Stop doing that, please. There's better phrasing to this question, without manipulating the answer towards one of the two.

TPU staff has to chill out and stop putting too much of their personal opinion into matters that has 2+ sides of an argument.

While technically I can agree that the word "wasting" could be considered a bit biased, the answer to the question should be obvious to any person with at least two working brain cells to rub together, as the results from the poll indeed confirm.

I also fail to see an argument "for" DRM. The best "DRM" a game can have is to be a quality product at a price that is reasonable for what the game offers, no DRM required. I the product is good, people will buy it.

Stop complaining lol. Some people just like to complain about everything.

I don't know how I feel about DRM. I really HATE software piracy, but I also hate intrusive DRM. I think with major game distribution platforms like Steam offering refunds and/or demos there's really no need to pirate games for 'legitimate' reasons. But then i do kinda understand the software companies wanting to put DRM on their products. :/

The Steam refund policy is a nice feature but it isn't a complete solution. It's good for people who want to demo a game and they generally have the money to purchase at full price: you purchase and play a bit; if you like you leave as is, if you don't like you refund.
However, for people with limited income who cannot afford to pay full price it doesn't work. Even if they like the game during the 2 hour demo period, they still can't leave it in their account because it's too expensive.

While it's true that DRM can maybe increase sales by making the impatient stingy players (who have the money to purchase full price but don't want to spend it) actually buy the game, but that DRM also costs time and money to the developer and publisher, and has the potential to alienate some people. So I very much doubt the net gain is actually positive.

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
most people who use "pirate" copies of their games are only doing so to get around the hassles and headaches of crap DRM

No, just no. People pirate games because they simply don't want to or can't afford to buy them. I know people who are against the concept of paying for a game and to whom even 25$ is too much.
It would be interesting to know how much sales do they gain with DRM, but they definitely hurt the legit buyers.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
one general reason why people pirate is because of regional availability & base game being too expensive for it's worth. Big studios should just listen to their audiences instead of the lobbyists who only cares about profit. Reducing the price of a base game DOES NOT affect sales, instead boosts it by opening up to more potential customers. IMO, putting a $60 price tag on a base Triple A game does not help at all when profit is all u want. If they did lock extra contents with a paywall, at least make it acceptable for it's worth. Coz no sane person would pay extra $40 or more for that "extra" when it doesn't even make a gamer happy.

Processor Phenom II X4 965 BE @4 GHz | NB @2600 MHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 2x 8GB PC12800 @1600 MHz CL7 1T
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7950
Storage 2 x 500 GB -- HD502HJ & WD5000AACS-00ZUB0
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite E2202WS_WVS
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 w/ Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Logitech G15 (blue backlight)
Software Windows 7 - SP1 x64
The Steam refund policy is a nice feature but it isn't a complete solution. It's good for people who want to demo a game and they generally have the money to purchase at full price: you purchase and play a bit; if you like you leave as is, if you don't like you refund.
However, for people with limited income who cannot afford to pay full price it doesn't work. Even if they like the game during the 2 hour demo period, they still can't leave it in their account because it's too expensive.

While it's true that DRM can maybe increase sales by making the impatient stingy players (who have the money to purchase full price but don't want to spend it) actually buy the game, but that DRM also costs time and money to the developer and publisher, and has the potential to alienate some people. So I very much doubt the net gain is actually positive.

If you don't have money, you can always buy old games.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

DRM cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to implement, has been shown to both not prevent piracy but actually encourage it, and is shown to have a negative effect on sales. CDPR showed us that DRM free games will sell just as well, if not better then, DRMed versions will.

So, to summarize: DRM costs a ton of money, hurts sales, doesnt stop piracy and only serves to annoy users. Calling it a 'waste of time' seems like proper grammar.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
No, but a poll doesn't have to be objective. All it has to do is ask a question. If you don't like the wording of the question, don't participate. No one is requiring it.

If you want to be considered a "good journalist" it absolutely has to be, unless it's an editorial.

If you want to be considered a "good journalist" it absolutely has to be, unless it's an editorial.
That's a good point and the article itself was objective. However, the original wording of the poll did express a valid perspective. It implied that Denuvo had done all that work and it was quickly and completely subverted. From the perspective of the publishers buying the DRM scheme in question it could easily seem like a complete waste of time and money, which it was and will continue to be.

At this time however, it's mute point as the wording of the poll has been changed to " Do you think video game developers should stop investing time and money on DRM? "
While I do think the original question was fine the way it was, the modified wording is good too.

Wow, the point i was making just flew over everybody's head.

People thought i was thinking DRM is a right solution, and started telling me about how wrong i was.

I wasn't complaining about the use of DRM in modern gaming industry, only the wording in the poll :banghead:
Anyone else wanna tell me how wasteful DRMs are, and how every single player game is crackable? cmon, there's an open mic today

My biggest problem with DRM has always been this. When the product is easier to use and\or works better when you steal it instead of purchase it you encourage piracy. In my longer career in IT I have worked around so many DRM implementations, even when I had a legitimate license, solely because it was easier to steal their product then it was to use it legitimately.

My biggest problem with DRM has always been this. When the product is easier to use and\or works better when you steal it instead of purchase it you encourage piracy. In my longer career in IT I have worked around so many DRM implementations, even when I had a legitimate license, solely because it was easier to steal their product then it was to use it legitimately.
I agree. By using such despicible and draconian schemes, they are literally providing the motivation to crack their software and get around it. Technically, if you pay for it, but then use it in a way the publisher doesn't approve of or use a cracked copy, you're not stealing so much as just give them the finger.

... so basically CURRENT and FUTURE AAA games market wonder why piracy is so popular when they charge $120-$180 for half-baked product, that could run on 2002 Pentium 4, but do not, cause it need another 6 more cores just to run DRM.... FML