• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Warned China of Meltdown and Spectre Before the US Government

Space Lynx

Astronaut
BTW, this reminded me of another aspect of Intel <=> US govt. relationship. Last year Trump signed something-something-piece-of-paper regarding approval of Intel's new 7nm fab in AZ. Maybe that's why US officials are really mad about not being the first in line of communication :roll:

Yep, I remember seeing a pic of all Intel exec's at White House standing behind Trump smiling as he signed paper for their new 7nm factory in Arizona. What a joke. I'll be going AMD next build even if it means I take a performance hit. Screw Intel.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Probably this one
Intel Warned Chinese Companies of Chip Flaws Before U.S. Government - WSJ

Looking at Intel prices. Looking at FPS counter. Still faster than AMD.
Reaction: "I love Intel"
Needing to upgrade motherboard to upgrade processor. Looking at FPS counter. Still faster than AMD.
Hearing about Intel's monopolistic tactics. Looking at FPS counter. Still faster than AMD.
Hearing about security problems in Intel processors. Looking at FPS counter. Still faster than AMD.
Hearing that Intel informed Chinese before US government. Looking at FPS counter. Still faster than AMD.

Thanks. Shame you had to add the second part though

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@john_said actually Intel and AMD are about the same on max FPS with the same gpu once you hit 1440p and 4k gaming. Intel is only faster at 1080p. and if you game at 1080p on PC still... I feel very very sorry for you. lol

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
US / NSA already know and been using it for 15 years no need to be informed, they are most likely the paid contractor for this backdoor to be part of the design in the first place... too bad... these three backdoors are compromised... hope the groups that found this flaw are not going to assassinated by the NSA, stay alive guys.

You aren't the only one with knowledge of how the world really works.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
US / NSA already know and been using it for 15 years no need to be informed, they are most likely the paid contractor for this backdoor to be part of the design in the first place... too bad... these three backdoors are compromised... hope the groups that found this flaw are not going to assassinated by the NSA, stay alive guys.
Holy tinfoil hat.
I was going to compliment you on your tinfoil conspiracy defense hat, yet here ya are, online. :rolleyes:
No, pretty sure all of it.
I wonder how many will still back Intel after these revelations, tbh not surprising for me at all.
The same was said before the Snowden revelations, at this point in time nothing should surprise anyone. Such state secrets however, rarely come out in the open.
Is this like some reach around way of excusing Intel?
This doesn't look good for Intel.

Some will probably think/say intel are supporting the "commies" over the US.
USA Congress only cares about their own bank accounts, doubt they even care about this news or even pursue in investigation. lol

When their money starts being compromised yoy bet they will get an investigation going.

By the way @cmmw, @lynx29

Read this link here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rosoft-and-amazon-for-spectre-secrecy.241032/

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Shame you had to add the second part though
No one is perfect :p

@john_said actually Intel and AMD are about the same on max FPS with the same gpu once you hit 1440p and 4k gaming. Intel is only faster at 1080p. and if you game at 1080p on PC still... I feel very very sorry for you. lol
Intel is faster, in general, in games, but when increasing resolutions, things does get more balanced. And there you can consider a Ryzen a better option, for various reasons, not FPS of course. Now if you think that resolution is what makes a game good or bad, then I feel sorry for you. A good game can be enjoyable even at 720p. If resolution and quality settings alone can ruin your gaming experience, then I don't think you really play games. You just enjoy the visuals, which is something completely different.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The same was said before the Snowden revelations, at this point in time nothing should surprise anyone. Such state secrets however, rarely come out in the open.

Has Snowden really become a blank check for every conspiracy theory ever, even ones that don't add up?

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Has Snowden really become a blank check for every conspiracy theory ever, even ones that don't add up?

No, many people were aware of conspiracy truths well before the Snowden fiasco and many of us never even reference Snowden because conspiracies happen and are carried out every day. They aren't a secret. Many people just prefer convenient truth because conspiracies (if believed to be true by them) would turn their world upside down.

I never disrespect anyone for not being aware that many conspiracies are true. Everyone has their own timetable to absorb, unravel and digest events. The media has fed us many lies and its all interwoven insomuch that "truths" are built upon other "truths". To question one thing is to question everything. Therein lies the rub.

We've gotten way off topic.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I don't deny there may be some conspiracy truths, but as far as likely ones go I find this one piss poor.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I don't deny there may be some conspiracy truths

Aye, and I don't believe in every conspiracy presented; that would be quite foolish.

What we do know as fact is that the NSA is largely responsible for both the creation and the request for backdoors. After all, this is how they glean our data to store in their fancy datacenters like the one in Buffalo, Utah.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Aye, and I don't believe in every conspiracy presented; that would be quite foolish.

What we do know as fact is that the NSA is largely responsible for both the creation and the request for backdoors. After all, this is how they glean our data to store in their fancy datacenters like the one in Buffalo, Utah.

Oh, I know. Just understanding the technicalities of the meltdown exploit makes it sound ideal for that. But the dates don't line up. This vulnerability nearly predates the NSA itself.

Spectre on the other hand is way too broad spectrum and "nature of the technology" (it's based on reading memory timings and inferrence) to be anything but an accident, IMO.

Oh, I know. Just understanding the technicalities of the meltdown exploit makes it sound ideal for that. But the dates don't line up. This vulnerability nearly predates the NSA itself.

Spectre on the other hand is way too broad spectrum and "nature of the technology" (it's based on reading memory timings and inferrence) to be anything but an accident, IMO.
What about CIA, you could argue that NSA is a CIA offshot or spinoff without the hidden daggers? The spectre is more or less by design but as I posted in another thread, a vast number of 0 day vulnerabilities are supposed to have been found first by the US govt agencies ~ IIRC NSA being the prime candidate.

There's no harm in giving them a clean chit, for the time being, but if you just assume they didn't uncover it first ~ then don't ever be surprised if they did considering their reach & history.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Did Intel warn Lenova or Alibaba before other US tech giants? If no, I don't understand what's the problem here.
Isn't this a standard practice that warn your close partners first and then roll out the disclosure to general public or government or (insert whatever here)?