• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kensington Launches the SD4700P Universal USB-C and USB 3.0 Docking Station

Kensington understands that no business wants to be tied to USB 3.0 technology as it is being replaced by faster and better protocols, while at the same time recognizing that it isn't practical for an organization to incur the expense and loss of productivity to replace every legacy device with one that supports USB-C. So we are pleased to announce the release of the SD4700P Universal USB-C and USB 3.0 Docking Station (K38240, SRP $219.99), which gives organizations full support for both USB-C and USB 3.0 devices from laptops using both Windows and macOS.

"At Kensington, we value the trust that consumers and organizations have placed in us since we introduced the first Universal Docking Station. As technologies improve, we are committed to providing our customers with new solutions that leverage the latest enhancements to boost productivity and performance," says Fred Wu, Global Product Manager Kensington. "The Universal USB-C and USB 3.0 Docking Station is a great example of that because it protects an organization's investment in existing technology by supporting USB 3.0, while offering complete access to the latest USB-C technology."

Simple and Secure
With Simple Set-up, deploying a universal dock has never been easier. It enables a user to simply connect the Docking Station to the USB port on their laptop, and then they can quickly transfer audio, video, data and power (supported USB-C devices with power delivery function only), keeping their workspace clean and clutter-free. Since it has been fully tested to support a variety of Windows and macOS laptops, the Docking Stations easily accommodate roaming computer environments and flexible workspaces where multiple laptop users with different requirements need to share a single docking station.

With Zero Footprint Mounting organizations have the option to attach the dock to the back of any VESA-compatible external monitor display to keep the workspace clean and clutter free.

Powerful Connectivity
The Docking Station connects to the single USB-C or USB 3.0 port on a laptop and gives the connected user access to:
  • DisplayPort++/HDMI to provide flexible video connections with support up to 2560x1600 for a single monitor or 2048x1152 for dual monitors using DisplayLink.
  • 6 USB Ports extend the productivity capabilities of today's thin laptops via one USB-C port, and five USB 3.0 ports, one of which is a 2.1A fast-charging port to power up a tablet or smartphone.
  • 135W Power Supply Adapter to provide ample power for the Universal Docking Station and up to 60W of power for devices connected using Power Delivery (PD) USB-C.
  • Combo 3.5mm Headphone and Microphone Jack lets users easily connect their favorite headset.
  • Gigabit Ethernet Port provides a secure and reliable 1Gb wired networking connection between computers for faster downloads from corporate intranet or internet.

Protecting your Investment
The SD4700P Universal USB-C and USB 3.0 Docking Station extends the life of your docking solution investment by providing the ideal dock for evolving computer environments.

Kensington has exhaustively tested the docking station with new and existing laptop models from the world's most popular manufacturers, including HP, Dell, Lenovo and Apple, to ensure an easy and painless setup process. It has been fully tested for compatibility with Windows 7 and 10, and macOS 10.13 and later. The Docking Station provides a single simple solution for environments with a mix of laptop platforms and supported protocols.

The Docking Station includes a Kensington Security Slot that can be used to connect a Kensington cable to secure the device and protect your technology investment from potential thieves.

From Kensington, the Trusted Professionals' Choice
For over 35 years, Kensington has been The Professionals' Choice for desktop productivity solutions. Committed to delivering stable solutions that help IT managers extend the life of their technology investments, Kensington's docks offer the latest technology with cross-compatibility options.

The SD4700P Universal USB-C and USB 3.0 Docking Station joins the comprehensive suite of connectivity and productivity products that Kensington offers for USB 3.0 and USB-C laptops, which includes video adapters to connect to external displays and USB hubs to give users access to USB devices like external keyboards, mice, and storage devices. As more manufacturers leverage the power of USB-C technology, Kensington will be there to support our customers to make sure they have access to the devices and peripherals they need.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Any USB docking device that requires external power supply is a POS in my book. Useless product.

Bro, these docking stations also supply power to your laptop as long as it is in the power delivery range of the docking station. So let's say you need a docking station at work for more productivity. You can leave your primary laptop charger at home and your docking station will charge for you at work. This is what a powered dock is intended for. Now, if you do not want that feature. There are docks without power.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
falls short by having a single DP ... Dell D6000 is my go to dock!

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm really not sure what this thing is supposed to do. Is it supposed to replace a bunch of individual adapters or something?

Also, I don't know anyone that ever needed to stick a DP/HDMI device in a USB port.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
I'm really not sure what this thing is supposed to do. Is it supposed to replace a bunch of individual adapters or something?

Also, I don't know anyone that ever needed to stick a DP/HDMI device in a USB port.

What!? it is a docking station. if you owned a ultra book with a TypeC/TB port you would know that you would badly require a docking station.

My ultra book has 2 USB ports, an HDMI, no Ethernet port and a TC/TB port. But I have 2 monitors, a cat6 cabled in and at times up to 4 or more USB connected devices, as well as a set of headphones that are dedicated to my dock setup.
With the docking station I have the ability to unplug a single cable and pick up my laptop a walk away. without the dock I couldn't even plug in half the items and the ones I did would take my twice as long to grab my laptop to run to a meeting or go home for the day