• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Provides Support for BIOS Update on 2nd Gen Ryzen - Boot Kit Available

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
As per Arstechnica: The boot kit contains an AM4 compatible dual core Bristol Ridge A6-9500.
Thanks, I thought it had to be something like that. That word "kit" though implies that there's more than one component to this, but it seems that it's just the CPU that's sent out.

I would have thought it wouldn't have been too much trouble to make all future CPUs compatible enough with a socket/chipset that it will at least boot and run well enough for a BIOS flash when an incompatible BIOS is found, if not a full Windows boot in some sort of safe/crippled mode. If not that, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all mobos to allow a BIOS flash without a CPU to get over this problem. This comment applies to AMD and Intel.

System Name Personal Rig
Processor Intel i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P Push/Pull
Memory 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000
Storage Seagate 1TB & 180GB Intel 330
Display(s) AOC I2360P
Case Enermax Vostok
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek
Power Supply Corsair TX650
Mouse Microsoft OEM 2.0
Keyboard Logitech Internet Pro White
Software Legal ;)
Benchmark Scores Very big
You can use an SPI flasher to flash the BIOS chip directly, but that way is a bit of a pain.. gotta decode the BIOS, figure out the pinout, pick the right coding, then flash the thing.
there are clamps for bios chips and pinout is standard for SPI

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
Thanks, I thought it had to be something like that. That word "kit" though implies that there's more than one component to this, but it seems that it's just the CPU that's sent out.

I would have thought it wouldn't have been too much trouble to make all future CPUs compatible enough with a socket/chipset that it will at least boot and run well enough for a BIOS flash when an incompatible BIOS is found, if not a full Windows boot in some sort of safe/crippled mode. If not that, then I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all mobos to allow a BIOS flash without a CPU to get over this problem. This comment applies to AMD and Intel.
The email seems to indicate CPU + heastink/fan is sent out along with you getting emailed a pre-paid return label. Someone on the forums over there posted this copy/paste of the instructions they received:

our boot kit request has been approved and we are processing this through our standard RMA system.

You should have received the RMA number and confirmation details in a separate email by now.

Please note: Your RMA will be for your boot kit model number and not for your Ryzen APU.
Once you have received the boot kit, please install the boot kit processor onto your motherboard and boot up the system to begin the BIOS update procedure.
The latest BIOS is available for download from the motherboard manufacturer’s website. You may save the BIOS onto a USB flash drive using another PC or download directly onto the current system after the operating system has been successfully installed and configured.
With the latest BIOS file downloaded and saved, please follow the motherboard BIOS update instructions. These instructions are available online from the manufacturer’s website or found in the user manual.
After the BIOS update is complete, please swap out the boot kit processor with your new Ryzen APU and confirm that the system is now booting up successfully.
Once you have confirmed that your Ryzen APU is working on your motherboard, please send your boot kit back to AMD following the instructions below.

Book Kit Return Shipping Instructions
Please securely package the boot kit CPU in the box it came in with the RMA number and return shipping address clearly written on the outside of the box.
Note: Please keep the heatsink and fan as it is not required to send this back to AMD but be advised that this heatsink is not compatible with your Ryzen APU.

The shipping address is:
AMD/ ModusLink Global Solution Center
11010 NW 92nd Terrace
Miami, Florida 33178
Tel: 1-305-803-0916

I am currently arranging a pre-paid FedEx return label to return your CPU back to AMD free of charge - It will be emailed to you shortly.
Please print the label and attach it to the return package and arrange pick up or drop off through your local FedEx service center.

I will keep this ticket open for another 10 days so you can provide an update. If you need to update the ticket after 10 days, please submit a new request via http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Shibu

AMD Global Customer Care

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/

I never had upgrade trouble with the AM2 AM2+ AM3 AM3+ platforms, but did have problems with FM2 FM2+ upgrades where a flash was needed. With the older platforms it would boot fine but just say unknown cpu model in place of the name.

odd, ars says the heatsink isnt required to be returned & that it's not compatible with AM4... but also, if you're building, dont you already have a heatsink? unless you're flashing on behalf of someone else, why would you need to flash before having a heatsink/unsupported cpu ready?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I never had upgrade trouble with the AM2 AM2+ AM3 AM3+ platforms, but did have problems with FM2 FM2+ upgrades where a flash was needed. With the older platforms it would boot fine but just say unknown cpu model in place of the name.
Unknown CPU would be a perfectly acceptable situation until the BIOS was updated.

odd, ars says the heatsink isnt required to be returned & that it's not compatible with AM4... but also, if you're building, dont you already have a heatsink? unless you're flashing on behalf of someone else, why would you need to flash before having a heatsink/unsupported cpu ready?
I suspect that AMD are just covering their bases with this one. Maybe they're covering for the potential muppet who installs the temporary CPU without the heatsink and burns it up...

installs the temporary CPU without the heatsink and burns it up...
challenge accepted! how hot can it possibly get? it's not being loaded & will throttle itself... or at least... hope it does... has anyone ever proven if cpus/gpus require drivers or an OS to use their power states? we know nvidia gpus boot at idle clocks but that's about it

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
challenge accepted! how hot can it possibly get? it's not being loaded & will throttle itself... or at least... hope it does... has anyone ever proven if cpus/gpus require drivers or an OS to use their power states? we know nvidia gpus boot at idle clocks but that's about it

nV GPUs will basically not do anything until you load real firmware on them. This is the source of quite a lot of moaning every time nV launches something new and shiny (said blobs being available only in the closed drivers). I believe AMD and Intel are quite similar, though easier to get their binary blobs since both just publish their blobs freely.