• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces Optix MPG27C Monitor with PrismSync

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI and SteelSeries are proud to announce that thanks to their long-standing technology partnership, the newly launched Optix MPG series curved gaming monitors are now supported by SteelSeries Engine. Using the five RGB zones on the front of the monitor, gamers can easily program lighting effects in the SteelSeries Engine to notify them of in-game timers, stats, cooldowns or even Discord notifications.

Joseph Hsu MSI President said: "The integration of SteelSeries Engine with the Optix MPG Series Curved Gaming Monitors brings PrismSync Illumination and real-time game alerts which offer an even greater level of immersive gameplay." "MSI and SteelSeries are delivering a truly immersive experience to gamers," said SteelSeries CEO, Ehtisham Rabbani said, "SteelSeries is proud of the strong partnership that we continue to build with MSI and we are excited to bring the gaming community new types of immersive technology like this."

he new Optix MPG series will consist of two 27-inch monitors, the Optix MPG27C and Optix MPG27CQ. These mark the next level in MSI gaming monitors with a curved VA panel with an 1800R curve. Both models feature a 144Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, and the MPG27CQ is equipped with a 1440p WQHD screen, while the MPG27C has a 1080p screen. The MPG27CQ was named a CES 2018 Innovation Award Honoree.

Together with a wide viewing angle of 178 degrees, less blue light and anti-flicker this gaming monitor is tailored for a perfect gaming day or night. The monitors can be swiveled, adjusted in height and tilted. Moreover, if you need a little help when playing games, the monitors even have a built-in FPS sight toggle on screen, so gamers can perfectly hit all of their targets.

Curved Gaming display
MSI's gaming monitors use a curved panel with a curvature rate of 1800R, which is the most comfortable and suitable for a wide range of applications from general computing to gaming. Curved panels also help with gameplay immersion, making you feel more connected to what's happening on screen. Moreover, playing games on multiple curved gaming monitors gives a great panoramic experience.

The smoothest game experience
The MSI Optix MPG series are equipped with a 144hz refresh rate + 1ms response time VA LED panel which has the most benefit in fast moving game genres such as first person shooters, fighters, racing sims, real-time strategy, and sports. These type of games require very fast and precise movements, so with an ultra-high refresh rate and fast response time monitor, you will be ahead of your competition.

Tailored for the perfect fit
The MSI Optix MPG series is built to enhance your gaming sessions to be as comfortable as possible. With possibilities to tilt, swivel, and change height, it's easy to change the position of the gaming monitor for maximum ergonomics and an optimal viewing experience. And with the built in FPS front sight toggle you can always draw a sight to secure your aim during battles.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

What the purpose of RGB on a monitor??? other than distraction & hurting eyes
who the hell thought that rGB in front of a monitor was good Idea???

so that your eyes get blinded by the fancy running lights.. Good inovation

The RGB in front is supposedly programmable to show information via lighting. For example when your health goes to low numbers, they start to glow red or something. Or it can be programmed for time, changing color when certain time passes to let you know you had to reach that target with certain things (in RTS games). My ASUS monitor has similar feature, but it shows an actual countdown timer on OSD. If I understand this MSI thing right.

System Name Main / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X / Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Strix B550i / B450i Aorus Pro
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad 360 / Wraith Spire
Memory Corsair LPX 2x16 3600MHz / HyperX Predator 2x8GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE / ARC A380
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB / Sabrent Rocket 256GB
Display(s) Acer Z301c / 39" Panasonic HDTV
Case Corsair 2000D / Cougar QBX
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V379 / Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Corsair SF600 / BeQuiet SFX Power 2 450W
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Drop Sense75 with WQ Studio Morandi's
VR HMD Rift S
Software Win 11 Pro 64Bit
What the hell's PrysmSync?

What the purpose of RGB on a monitor??? other than distraction & hurting eyes
who the hell thought that rGB in front of a monitor was good Idea???

so that your eyes get blinded by the fancy running lights.. Good inovation

RGB purpose for monitor!? Ahh, you were talking about some silly RGB lighting not the monitor's color space.

RGB purpose for monitor!? Ahh, you were talking about some silly RGB lighting not the monitor's color space.

well, i see that it can act sort of a HP indicator, or Ammo Indicator but still, a premium price(100$+) for light bars for like 3 or 4 Games.. is not worth it..not to mention how many ppl would get used to RGB in front of the monitor...only as a distraction & not as a real feature

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
PrismSync = We omitted both FreeSync and G-sync, but really don't want you to notice.

Gsync < ULMB + FastSync

Hopefully the MSI monitors have black frame insertion.

The 1440p version looks decent. Need a VA monitor for better contrast and blacks. My IPS is meh sometimes. TN is garbage.

Can't wait for MLED / OLED PC monitors...

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can't wait for MLED / OLED PC monitors...
You're really pining for acute burn-in issues and your taskbar being constantly visible no matter what you're doing? Oh dear.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
:laugh: all you guys bitching about the RGB on the monitor cant even see past the usefulness of what the rgb lights can actually do for you in game.

It's pathetic really how much hate there is for the usefulness of this technology alone.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
:laugh: all you guys bitching about the RGB on the monitor cant even see past the usefulness of what the rgb lights can actually do for you in game.

It's pathetic really how much hate there is for the usefulness of this technology alone.
I see the utility somewhat, but I'm not optimistic for its long-term value. I'd assume this would lose all software support in a year or two at best, and then turn into useless blinkenlights. Otherwise, I suppose a "low ammo" or "special attack ready" indicator light might be useful in a lot of games.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
What the hell's PrysmSync?
not what it sounds like in monitor land, it syncs the RGB lights on the panels mount to your motherboard and compatible peripherals , I thought it at least an Ambilight clone but its more niche imho.

I couldnt be bothered setting it up to be usefull per game in games ,though i can see some might.

@CrAsHnBuRnXp calm down dude i doubt you stare at your case while playing games personally and you might find it usefull but WE Alll found it missleading.

las

Cooling Custom Water
You're really pining for acute burn-in issues and your taskbar being constantly visible no matter what you're doing? Oh dear.

Not really an issue on newer OLED (have 2) and MLED will improve on everything.
LCD has terrible image quality compared to OLED/MLED. Especially LCD PC monitors are bad (low priority - much worse panels than the best LCD TV's)
LCD has crappy blacks with mediocre colors and no HDR support (marketing HDR support only).

HDR on LCD requires hundreds of dimming zones to work good, most PC monitors claiming HDR has edge led or below 20 zones... HDR is a much bigger jump in image quality than going from 1080p to 2160p.

Backlighting = clouding and bleeding on LCD panels. You like that stuff? You like IPS/VA Glow? Or prefer the terrible image quality and viewing angles of TN with blacks being grey'ish and zero contrast/colors?

MLED is going to replace LCD as the standard. Hopefully sooner than later. Till then, a few more years of bad LCD displays. Sadly.

If you are satisfied with the quality of PC LCD displays, you must be used to low end panels with low contrast (yep U2711 has low contrast, grainy coating + tons of input lag to mention a few of its flaws).

OLED is not perfect, but LCD is FAR FROM PERFECT.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not really an issue on newer OLED (have 2) and MLED will improve on everything.
LCD has terrible image quality compared to OLED/MLED. Especially LCD PC monitors are bad (low priority - much worse panels than the best LCD TV's)
LCD has crappy blacks with mediocre colors and no HDR support (marketing HDR support only).

HDR on LCD requires hundreds of dimming zones to work good, most PC monitors claiming HDR has edge led or below 20 zones...
HDR is a much bigger jump in image quality than going from 1080p to 2160p.

MLED is going to replace LCD as the standard. Hopefully sooner than later. Till then, a few more years of bad LCD displays. Sadly.

If you are satisfied with the quality of PC LCD displays, you must be used to low end panels with low contrast (yep U2711 has low contrast and grainy coating + tons of input lag)
I'm not saying current panels are good enough (although there are some VA panels that are pretty great), and completely agree that OLED looks great, but that really doesn't matter when the display is completely unsuited for static image display - the main use for any PC monitor. A monitor is a long-term investment, not something to replace every 2-3 years due to panel degradation and burn-in. My U2711 serves me okay, and its color was amazing back when I bought it (believe it's 7 years ago now!), but I'm well aware of its limitations. Still, I'm not replacing it until it dies or I can get a significantly superior monitor below $1000 that includes FreeSync and all the other features I could want (yep, I'm picky).

As for burn-in being solved: really? Samsung makes the best OLED panels, and they reserve the best panel tech for their phones. If you've ever seen a Galaxy in-store display unit that's approaching a year old, they ALL have burn-in, despite them running looping videos with minimal static text or imagery, schedules that turn them off outside of store hours, and other lower-level techs supposed to counteract this. Most smartphones don't show this for a few years due to the very short amount of time their screens actually stay on, but this isn't how PCs are used. You say you have 2 OLED monitors. Which kind, and how are they used? How old are they? Care to post a photo of them displaying a full-screen white image? If they're more than a few months old and used regularly, I'd be shocked if they didn't have signs of burn-in, unless you automatically hide the taskbar and never keep windows in the same position for long.

OLED has time and time again shown itself to be unsuited for PC use. There's a reason why Lenovo ditched the OLED panels from this year's ThinkPad lineup. I agree that MLED (if by that you mean micro-LED) looks very promising, but it's still years from hitting store shelves, sadly. Local dimming doesn't really compare to SEDs, but when there's no usable SED tech, that's what we're stuck with. I also completely agree that HDR is far more important than UHD for pretty much any use - I'd rather have a HDR FHD TV than a non-HDR 4k one.

When my U2711 dies, I'll be hunting for an ultra-wide ~34" (same vertical size as my 27" 16:9, more height won't do me any good) 3440x1440 FreeSync display with reasonably high refresh rate, accurate (calibrated) color, good contrast (VA levels, so >3000:1 would be preferable - more if possible), HDR , ~1800R curvature, a built-in USB hub and an internal power supply (an external brick for a monitor is not acceptable, especially as they tend to be awful). For less than $1000. Until something like that exists, I'm sticking with my U2711. It's not great, but checks the boxes for good enough. Plus, it's free, seeing how I already own it ;)

las

Cooling Custom Water
Maybe you should read up on OLED burn-in on newer panels. It's not really a huge problem anymore, 2016 and forward has been good. Tech has matured. There's many tests, I know rtings.com have one. Testing for hundreds of hours straight with same content.

Samsung makes the best mobile OLED panels, yeah, but they are more prone to burn in than newer LG OLED TV panels. I have seen burn in on a S7 Note. Went away after some time tho.

After all tho, I'd prefer a little burn-in over a worse image all the time. It's not like plasma burn-in. Most of the time it goes away when panel is off and takes many hours before it happends. Do you use your PC monitor for 100+ hours straight..? I rarely used the same content for more than a few hours.

I don't like Ultrawide, but VA is a good all-around panel (unless you need accurate colors or mainly play fast paced games), which is why I was reading this post to begin with. Atleast VA have decent blacks, sadly lacks viewing angles.

HDR is a joke on PC monitors tho. No HDR PC monitor does well in HDR tests - Backlighting is the problem (as with any LCD). HDR support is limited on PC anyway...

I'll probably pick up MPG27CQ if reviews are decent. But I hope MLED (yes Micro) will happen 2020ish.
Samsung needs MLED badly to be able to compete on TV market (LCD is selling less and less). Samsung have ditched OLED completely now and have full focus on MLED.

Last edited:
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Last edited:

las

Cooling Custom Water
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow, looks promising.
It does indeed, but it's still years (I'd guess closer to 5 than 1, and wouldn't be surprised if it was more) away from any type of mass-market reality. Also very interested in what kind of response times you can get from MLED. Oh, and if they can shrink it sufficiently - the Wall MLED demo had ~1mm2 pixels with 1mm spacing, which isn't even remotely close to normal 4K TV territory (144cm for a 65" TV / 3840 pixels = 0,375mm per pixel, including inter-pixel spacing/pixel pitch. Assuming similar 1:1 pixel width to pitch, they'd need to shrink both by more than 80%). That's a major leap just to get this into modestly large TVs, and for monitors, things get a lot worse. ~32" 4K monitor? That's 0,0185mm/pixel (including spacing). Of course, we're still in the extremely early stages of this tech, but that's just it - it won't arrive any time soon.

Of course, it'll also hit TVs first - so we might see >$10 000 MLED TVs pop up as showpieces in a handful of years, which (if recent adoption rates are anything to go by) means another 3-4-5 years until the tech actually is attainable for "normal" semi-wealthy tech enthusiasts (meaning, people willing and able to spend ~$1000 on a monitor).

Monitors are the most frustrating kind of tech rabbit hole: Once you start looking into them, you realize that what we have today is at best half-decent, and that there are no good solutions arriving any time soon. No real incentive to upgrade unless what you have is really bad, or fails. Then again, I suppose that's good for the planet an my wallet both.