• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell CTO On AMD-Powered Products: "Don't Expect a [Intel and AMD] Duopoly"

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dell opened the door to another AMD anti-trust suit. If it does happen and AMD wins again, I hope the fine is more than a slap on the wrist this time.
A bit of a stretch, but I actually hope you're right. Intel has a long and sordid history of abusing its market position, which has significantly disadvantaged AMD outside of "fair" (hah, as if capitalism can be fair) competition on product quality. It's high time they saw some consequences.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Well , presumably , Dell hasn't received a couple of billion from AMD so it's totally understandable.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
So, AMD wins only in two scenarios... high core counts, and with APUs. Unfortunately those are the edges of the usage spectrum, and the majority of needs fall between AMD's strong points.
And multithreaded loads on lower core counts and price/performance in many of the cases where it's not performing on top already

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Is this light blue B!tch paid with coins or with check ?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
That bad capacitor issue affected the entire electronics industry and wasn't specific to Dell. They have been using standard ATX power supplies for a while now and I can't remember seeing a Dell power supply that wasn't made by Delta.

I could be wrong, but I swear by that some of the 7040's we had, had proprietary PSU connections. Heck, they even use a proprietary one for their liquid coolers as well.

A well, during what you said as a time where most capacitors had that problem: I am not 100% sure and I apologize if I am spreading misinformation, but I also do not remember having issue with any of the offices HP machines ever having said issue while our dells did. Could be coincidence, I am not sure. I just never liked dealing with dell. Things may be different now, but I don't know, haven't had to use their services in at least a couple years now.

But I am interested in their XPS machines and or Alienware builds that are heavily discounted. Those from what I see are rather solid machines.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Oh well. Dell laptops today are junk on the business end, too hard to repair and prioritizing thinness and looks over durability and battery life. The lack of an AMD option simply pushes me further away from buying one.
I could be wrong, but I swear by that some of the 7040's we had, had proprietary PSU connections. Heck, they even use a proprietary one for their liquid coolers as well.

A well, during what you said as a time where most capacitors had that problem: I am not 100% sure and I apologize if I am spreading misinformation, but I also do not remember having issue with any of the offices HP machines ever having said issue while our dells did. Could be coincidence, I am not sure. I just never liked dealing with dell. Things may be different now, but I don't know, haven't had to use their services in at least a couple years now.

But I am interested in their XPS machines and or Alienware builds that are heavily discounted. Those from what I see are rather solid machines.
Correct. They went with standard 24 pin plugs on the 520, 620, 320, and 755 models, mini 24 pin on 760, 780, and 790, then with 990 and 7010 they went with standard 24 pin. With the 7020 and later, they now use a 8 pin plug instead of a 24 pin plug.

Most of the time discussions here on TPU are very interesting. There are exceptions though. This one started out with Dell bashing which turned into Intel/AMD bashing and the nonsense carried on from there. What next, HP bashing? Why?...

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
... does that even apply to this discussion? It's not like embedded CPUs and APUs apply to consumer-facing products from Dell anyhow. Also, are you trying to say that Intel doesn't have ~15W embedded chips? I agree that AMD has demonstrated an impressive ability to get Zen (and Vega) out into the vast majority of possible product types quickly. Again, I don't see how this applies to this discussion, though.

Reading comprehension problems? AMD rolled out BOTH faster-than-intel-ULV-at-both-CPU-and-GPU-tasks mobile APU and an embedded.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Reading comprehension problems? AMD rolled out BOTH faster-than-intel-ULV-at-both-CPU-and-GPU-tasks mobile APU and an embedded.
More like reading-of-incomplete-sentences-without-necessary-context comprehension problems, but never mind that. Still don't fully see how this applies to the discussion - the actual performance isn't the issue here, nor is availability. This is about a Dell executive effectively saying "We won't make more AMD designs no matter what, seeing how Intel is the dominant force in the market and we don't want that to change". Discussing the technical realities of the products is not the issue here (if it was, we could all agree that AMD has caught up to or passed Intel in pure performance in a given power envelope (CPU varying from slightly slower to slightly faster depending on the workload, GPU far superior), but still lags in power savings and battery life (although this might be down to poor implementations in early products, and is as such not quite established)). Rather, the issue is the blatant favoritism and tell-tale signs of too-cozy supplier-manufacturer relations, possibly (probably?) bordering on anti-competitive business practices.

The statement you replied to, saying "Ultra-light and portables is still Intel's domain as well" is both a statement of (market) fact (and thus relevant to the discussion) and predictive (at least for the short term) with regard to AMD's seeming battery life deficiency, to which your statement doesn't add anything at all. Embedded is in no way applicable in this case (doesn't apply to consumer products outside of weirdo edge cases like the Smach Z), and you don't address battery life/power draw at all. As such: you're veering off into "who has the fastest part" discussions, which - again - I don't see as applicable to this thread. You're welcome to disagree, but I'd like some explanation as to how, then.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The statement you replied to, saying "Ultra-light and portables is still Intel's domain as well" is both a statement of (market) fact...
It implied AMD didn't have products for that market, which is false.

Try to not take this post as a personal insult, there really is nothing directed at you (or anyone else for that matter).

It implied AMD didn't have products for that market, which is false. Try to not take this post as a personal insult, there really is nothing directed at you (or anyone else for that matter).
That user is trolling, ignore them.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You're not really good with implications ... it only implied AMD didn't have most desirable product in that specific market because of the battery life

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

Try to not take this post as a personal insult, there really is nothing directed at you (or anyone else for that matter).
I have to disagree with that. "[Market X] is [Company A]'s domain" to me simply states that that company entirely dominates that market, regardless of reason, but to such an extent that there's little likelihood of that changing simply due to a new competitor showing up. I'd think the same if you said "High-end smartphone SoCs are Qualcomm's domain" (even if they have quasi-competition from Apple and Samsung), as there's very little chance of, say, MediaTek getting a high-profile design win with a new high-end chip even if they could solve their performance and battery life deficits. Dominance through near-monopoly, not necessarily due to technical reasons alone.

I'm really not sure how you're reading my post as taking anything personally - I was simply trying to explain how I didn't see your line of argumentation as applicable to this thread. You've explained your reasoning, which is appreciated even if I still disagree. I suppose we should leave it at that, as my whole point was that this is not the thread to get into technical stuff or the actual merits of various chips, but rather a thread for discussing the seemingly shady business practices and anti-competitive attitudes seen in that statement. A topic that we've long since veered off.
That user is trolling, ignore them.
Hm. Thanks for letting me know, 'cause I sure hadn't noticed that I was. Real insightful of you.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
it only implied AMD didn't have most desirable product in that specific market because of the battery life
Except AMD has great product with excellent perf/watt in that market.

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hope to see 9TH gen Intel soon.

I hope to see 10nm Ice Lake - I don't wanna see YET ANOTHER Skylake refresh.

If 9th gen is going to be Skylake again, it's 4th time with same arch and 5th release on 14nm... INSANE...

I agree! but 9th gen will not be another skylake refresh. plenty of fairly current info on the web to substantiate that. which is why I am waiting for it.

... Unless it's just the Sky Lake shrinked to 10nm... Z390 chipset is called Cannon Lake PCH by intels own roadmaps. And only Cannon Lake cpu I know is 10nm 2+2 low voltage mobile chip. But maybe there will be Cannon Lake desktop variant too i.e. that 8c/16t cpu from 3dmark might be 10nm Canon Lake cpu.

Arch

So that guys says Dell is not gonna use AMD, because they have low market share... I thought, from the economical standpoint, it's a reason to do exactly the opposite?