• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Radeon Rays and Radeon GPU Profiler 1.2 at GDC 2018

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
That's the problem people are not realizing. Especially those saying "a sold card is a sold card". It doesn't work like that. Without cards in the hands of developers and gamers, AMD's ecosystem will start dying off. And when you have no ecosystem, who's gonna bother developing anything for you? And then you just fall into a neverending downfalling spiral of doom. Cryptomining is a nonsense that will not last for long. Gaming and development has been on the rise from year to year regardless of all the doomsday freakouts news outlets have over PC sales. I'm just shocked that AMD is apparently not aware of this. Cryptomining is a nice short term financial injection, but long term, it'll harm them more than it'll benefit them.
lets not get carried away, 6 months of high prices has had the same affect on nvidia but they both have enough gpus in gamers hands to warrant devs time.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
FUD aside, what we have now is AMD with ray tracing implemented on top of Vulkan and Nvidia with with ray tracing implemented on top of DX12.
The perfect setup for developers to ignore the technology for the time being, because whatever API they use, it won't work on all cards. Hopefully that will change soon.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Open Source is the way to go. Look for example at the Open Source Radeon drivers for Linux -> that was the best decision AMD could have made. FGLRX was ok, but often had weird glitches that dragged on, because of the lack of resources nobody fixed them. The current RadeonSI / AMDgpu is pure poetry -> you can bisect the bug and then report a bug or even propose a fix yourself. This way you can learn something and also contribute to the community -> and that feels great.

Well, invest bucket loads of money into nVidia then . But please, don't come crying here when they decide to discontinue and drop the support for their proprietary code.
Not everytime. Cuda is the best example, in VFX most of the major player are using tech that are exclusive to nvidia because it's so much easier to get support for it. Even though open Cl was made by apple, the support for it was (or is still) so bad that some developers just gave up, or used metal instead.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
FUD aside, what we have now is AMD with ray tracing implemented on top of Vulkan and Nvidia with with ray tracing implemented on top of DX12.
The perfect setup for developers to ignore the technology for the time being, because whatever API they use, it won't work on all cards. Hopefully that will change soon.
Both of those APIs share a common theme though and I am definitely of the opinion AMD will be working on both dx12 compatibility and consumer level support, they said so ie working with Microsoft, their hardware Is rather important to Microsoft.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I'm still cranking away with my GTX 780.... Refusing to pay for these overpriced cards. I see the 1060s dropping in price--$280ish for a three gig, and almost $100 more for a six gig.... Not much of an upgrade though, coming from a 780, definitely not worth the price--even at MSRP.

So, I'll wait til next season I guess.

#Notgivingitup
20180310_175653.jpg

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Both of those APIs share a common theme though and I am definitely of the opinion AMD will be working on both dx12 compatibility and consumer level support, they said so ie working with Microsoft, their hardware Is rather important to Microsoft.

In what way? Besides being both about graphics, that is.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
In what way? Besides being both about graphics, that is.
Both expose a similar feature set in a similar way and both are closer to the metal.
They're not cross compatible per say but the code required for the jump is not as extreme as in prior cases.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I recently moved a graphics house away from Nvidia to AMD GPU's because of the serious support AMD has been giving to the cinematography and vfx (more the cinematography community tbh) community as of late, and the vastly cheaper prices of GPU's seeing significant drops of TCO.

Those who pah pah this fail to see the difference between Nvidia's stranglehold in GPGPU compute (which is difficult to move away from because your code stops working) from creative industries (who most don't give two shits as long as the specific plugins they need are supported, which has seen a heavy shift away from CUDA due to Apple dropping Nvidia a few years ago).

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
That's the problem people are not realizing. Especially those saying "a sold card is a sold card". It doesn't work like that. Without cards in the hands of developers and gamers, AMD's ecosystem will start dying off. And when you have no ecosystem, who's gonna bother developing anything for you? And then you just fall into a neverending downfalling spiral of doom. Cryptomining is a nonsense that will not last for long. Gaming and development has been on the rise from year to year regardless of all the doomsday freakouts news outlets have over PC sales. I'm just shocked that AMD is apparently not aware of this. Cryptomining is a nice short term financial injection, but long term, it'll harm them more than it'll benefit them.

Here I am for you to see. (Vega 64 liquid from the beginning) And now that the CCs started to waver, all our markets are filled with mildly used Radeons from the panicking miners.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Vulkan is open source (successor to OpenGL), Mantle was proprietory hence why it failed.

Revisionist history at its finest, folks. I'm sure the delusionals believe it, too. Is a green logo hypnotising or something?

Revisionist history at its finest, folks. I'm sure the delusional's believe it, too. Is a green logo hypnotizing or something?
Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to say Vulkan is not open source or that Mantle wasn't proprietary or a failure?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to say Vulkan is not open source or that Mantle wasn't proprietary or a failure?

Mantle is/was not proprietary. That was fabricated by Nvidia lovers. Hell, what does AMD use that is? Trueaudio, b/c it's hardware based?

Just b/c AMD developed it with limited partners doesn't make it proprietary. It was clearly stated that Nvidia could develop for it...they sneered (for obvious reasons). Did Nvidia lovers expect AMD to add support themselves? Lololololol

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Sure it was. Mantle was released only as a part of the AMD Windows driver set, thus not compatible with Nvidia GPU's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(API) See support section.

Incorrect. It can support non-GCN architectures. Nvidia rejected it. Why would Nvidia say they won't support Mantle if it can't be compatible... Lol.

Or I guess AMD just went on stage at events and lied about Mantle being an open API.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Incorrect. It can support non-GCN architectures. Nvidia rejected it. Why would Nvidia say they won't support Mantle if it can't be compatible... Lol.
Or I guess AMD just went on stage at events and lied about Mantle being an open API.
Technically, Mantle was built for GCN first. Adopting that to different architectures was not as simple as you would think.
Also, it was never open source and never open. AMD said it would eventually be but things never progressed this far.

Although, I guess Vulkan could be considered what Mantle was supposed to be. But that owes a lot to OpenGL legacy rather than Mantle's technical aspects.

Please show a reference that backs up your claim please. You are literally the first person I have ever seen state this.
For further reference;
https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...ot-open-source-compatible-only-with-amd-gpus/
https://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/mantle
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ls-an-open-source-answer-to-nvidias-gameworks

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Technically, Mantle was built for GCN first. Adopting that to different architectures was not as simple as you would think.
Also, it was never open source and never open. AMD said it would eventually be but things never progressed this far.

Although, I guess Vulkan could be considered what Mantle was supposed to be. But that owes a lot to OpenGL legacy rather than Mantle's technical aspects.

Technically correct, it wasn't ever really finished. It was not locked down or incapable of non-GCN, though. Obviously, if they spent the cash to develop it, then it's not going to be PnP for a competitor, but the API was there for all to use if they wanted to. Even if it were easy Nvidia wouldn't be caught dead with their criminal behavior and arrogance.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
You are mistaken. Mantle was never open source.

It was never finished. The public SDK was to be released at the end of 2014 ALLOWING NVIDIA AND INTEL TO WRITE DRIVERS FOR IT. AMD already said that many times previously... IDK why there's this huge denial that AMD only made it for themselves. Intel didn't sign on and it was dead (do I have to point out that nvidia wouldn't add support).

If your argument is that it wasn't open, b/c it was still in beta....that's pretty flimsy.

I would link the AMD presentation video, but the link is dead.

I'm tellin ya, revisionist history.

Last edited:
The public SDK was to be released at the end of 2014 with the official announcement of it being an open API.
Citation please. You made a claim that is not supported by the information found by a simple search. EDIT; I'll be happy to accept such information from a credible source. Not willing to just take your word for it when the information you offer is contradicted by common knowledge and information easily found.
IDK why there's this huge denial
Factual information. Mantle was never open sourced and was never developed for anything other than a specific range of Windows based AMD GPU's. That makes it closed source and proprietary. It's replacement, Vulkan, is open source and non-proprietary. Perhaps you are getting the two confused?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Citation please. You made a claim that is not supported by the information found by a simple search.

Factual information. Mantle was never open sourced and was never developed for anything other than a specific range of Windows based AMD GPU's. That makes it closed source and proprietary. It's replacement, Vulkan, is open source and non-proprietary. Perhaps you are getting the two confused?

No confusion...am I the only one that can read and remember press releases?

Since the video is gone, I guess this will have to do https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...courages-nvidia-and-intel-to-use-it-for-free/
Too bad it links to wccftech LOL, but I can't seem to find the vid.

I guess you can win on a technicality, since it wasn't released, but that wasn't the intention. The industry killed it.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
No confusion...am I the only one that can read and remember press releases?

Since the video is gone, I guess this will have to do https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...courages-nvidia-and-intel-to-use-it-for-free/

He confirmed that AMD will be releasing a public Mantle SDK this year.
They never did. And SDK is still a far cry from either open or open source.
You are correct in that they promised to have an open API and open source. Eventually. This never materialized.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
They talk much but i haven't seen anything good on Vulkan who works great.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
It was never finished. The public SDK was to be released at the end of 2014 ALLOWING NVIDIA AND INTEL TO WRITE DRIVERS FOR IT. AMD already said that many times previously... IDK why there's this huge denial that AMD only made it for themselves. Intel didn't sign on and it was dead (do I have to point out that nvidia wouldn't add support).

If your argument is that it wasn't open, b/c it was still in beta....that's pretty flimsy.

I would link the AMD presentation video, but the link is dead.

I'm tellin ya, revisionist history.
Try digging up the open Mantle spec that everyone could implement. That should clear things up a bit for you.