• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Test Drive Unlimited

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Great game setting and idea, awesome cars, great scenery, good graphics, and fucking terrible coding.

So far I have had alot of fun and problems with this piece of shit game. I love it so much I hate it. And it appears I am not alone.

The game runs flawlessly at 1680X1050 6X 16X all max driver forced settings, HDR. But it locks up every so often or will not even completely start. It isn't the OC as I have dropped everything back to stock once, it isn't temps, as I have forced 100% fan speed on the card and the CPU never goes above 55C at the worst. And while playing this game I have never seen it above 51C. Sometimes it locks up, and you have to do a hard shutdown. Sometimes the VPU is at fault (infinite loop) and it recovers. Somtimes I am able to drive 10 feet, other times hundreds of miles. ATI has a set of "Nforce 4" drivers, I haven't installed them, but that really doesn't seem to be the problem. The game seems to be. And Atari runs through the same old BS, update drivers, update BIOS (Although what a game and a BIOS have in common is beyond me) don't OC, etc.... Nothing new, and I have all the most recent DX updates, tried it without sound, and at multiple graphics levels. But one thing I did find is alternate pixel center in CCC causes the game to become a blinding white mess.

Physics are good, as provided by havok, and seem decently real, better than any other game I have played. It accepts input from my Saitek to use variable throttle control that is decent, and I have the buttons put togeather like I want. A friend has the Logitech momo wheel with force feedback, he says it is awesome, and has never liked wheels with games.

Radio, it has radio, worse than GTA series radio, only one station and it is the half metal half on the rag crap that they (atari) assumes we like. Mebey i should import my playlist, or hack the files from GTA:SA.

Voice sucks, mebey it is my net connection, but probably not, teamspeak was invented for a reason, or my favorite using MSN chat in game. Plus I get a loop back about .5 second after I speak.

If the game had no freeze issues, and started consistantly, I would give it 8/10 but I have peeps already jumping ship for LFS and wanting to sell. I am hoping they will patch it, quickly before I lose interest in hard rebooting my computer.

4/10

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
so you play it online eh? I heard people try cheating bringing bikes to car races have you seen any of that?.. thats what stopped me from buying the game.

a few months and the new Need for Speed will be out.. it looks like its going to pwn, kinda like a Need for Speed with Grand Turismo options.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Yeah, some of the times are unreal so they must be cheating. For example I ran a 2.5 mile race in my Jag and did 1.47 minutes with all the curves and the like, and the fastest time is 42 seconds. No possible way. I have ran a few races, and I was lucky to find the Jag XJ220 at European Classics, it rocks minus the tendency to have too much oversteer at high speeds and ass heavy feel. And the turbo lag is a killer on starts, but once up it goes ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

Like I said, the cars, scenery, and racing is great. Just the random lockups and medocre voice and radio options, I need tunes to drive, and to buy a game and run WMP or something in the background or to hack from another game is shit. If they fix the lockups I can convert to MP3 and import a few sets for playlists.

cosi

:shadedshu

you do realise you can change the radio station, right? and besides that, you cand drop your own MP3s into the radio folder, and have those played to you. what much more can you want from the radio station? all you need to do is actually -read- the controlls... :slap:perhaps you don't know you can flash the lights either then?

as for the game freezing, i've been playing it for days, and it "locked up" 3 times untill now, all of which were because i put a rather nasty strain on it by alt-tabbing a lot to chat with some friends... videocards tend to dislike having to change resolution every 3 minutes or so, and sooner or later, you are going to find messed up rendering :grin: . otherwise, i have had no porblems with it,the game is excelent, and i recomend it to anyone.

if you really want to pick on something bad, then it's the iddle of some cars, which drives me insane (like the 350z nismo). and the rendering of the player's avatar, which looks like the hutchback of notredamme(or however you spell it) when inside the car. they could have payed a bit more attention to that. but that's hardly a detterrent from trying the game.

as for bringing motorcycles to car races, that's impossible :) unless you try a race with no restrictions(i haven't seen one with no restrictions of any kind yet), you can't bring the motorcycle to the race. you need a car :)

funny how so many nasty things are said about a game that is better then any of the NFSs so far, except the porche, which by my standards, was the supreme virtual driving experience in the similar games, waaay ahead of it's time :respect:. and TDU goes closest to those controls/reactions. :cool:

recomended game. 8.5 out of 10

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Who has MP3's anymore? And who are you, that you should speak?

WMA Lossless? GTA does it.

Alt-Tabbing to chat during a game where races can last for hour-s? Are you silly?

As I said, the game idea is great, the graphics are great, the idea is great, by where is the patch? May, nope. June, gone, July? Possibly.....

How much fun will multi-player be when there are no other players? Like sitting in a empty CS:S server.........

And again on the music, why should I have to spend my time making copies of my music so that a cheap ass company doesn't have to buy a plugin to make it work? Then they toss us two cars, scraps from the 360 crowds table. Kiss MY ass.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
Why doesnt Gran Turismo just get brought to the pc:cry::cry::cry:

cosi

i belive you'll find mp3s are quite a common format. as for who am i that i should speak? one that managed to actually change radio stations, doooh. what's it to you? don't you like being proved wrong? :D

alt-tabbing was mentioned to said in what instances the game crashed for me. the ONLY instances the game crashed for me. i didn't mention it to tell you how i play, that's not your business.

again on the music: to change stations you only need to press a button, if that's not too hard for you. the game comes with a bit of sellection for itself, from classic, if you're into that sort of stuff, to house and metal. your pick.

and hey, you don't like it, you don't buy it. why do you act like someone actually shoved it down your throat? it was your choice. i think i made a good one, you think you made a bad one. keep in mind that we each have OUR own oppinions, and while i accept yours, i find it unfair to impose it to everyone else. to each his own.

ktr

Quick question, how many people play TDU online? I have the crack one, and i am intrested in buying the game.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Don't waste your time until the patch is out, if ever.

cosi, no the game wasn't forced down my throat, but it was like a big chocolate cake or a stripclub tease, you see it you want it, you feel the desire to play, but FUCK NO!!! I just grow weary of playing five minutes and having it hardlock my computer. A KNOWN issue. I dislike the cheating. A KNOWN issue. I dislike that my profile is more than likely going to be come corrupt. A KNOWN issue. I dislike that the voice in the game sucks. A KNOWN issue.

So right now it is unworth playing, and will remain a $40 paperweight till they patch it. But perhaps by then I will move on to bigger and better things. Or take it back. Or start a class action lawsuit against Atari as they have provided KNOWN defective software and failed to resolve the issue in a timely manner. I bet that would wake up Atari to the angry mobs of people.

As a fact I just might, I will talk to our company lawyer on Thursday and perhaps buy a domain or three and start a site for it. Just like the whole DX10 and 8800 series for failure to provide advertised results.

Most people have computers well beyond the minimum specs and have issues. Issues that are not being addressed in a timely and orderly manner. Three times a patch has been promised since the release of a 5 month old game. And nothing yet.

Sovereign

System Name "The Gateway Donation"
Processor Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-34, 1975 MHz (9 x 218) (1MB L2)
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo3-FSR (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 1 AGR, 2 DDR DIMM)
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO + Various 80mm Case Fans
Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM, Hynix & Nanya Chips)
Video Card(s) MSI HD2600XT 256MB GDDR4 Diamond OC Edition PCI-E x16
Storage Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Display(s) Princeton LCD1950 19" 8ms Digital LCD (1280x1024 @ 75Hz)
Case Gateway (2000) Beige P150 ATX MidTower Case
Audio Device(s) Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 "SuperQuad" Audio
Power Supply HEC Orion 500 watt ATX Power Supply
Software Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/ SP2
Benchmark Scores SuperPi 1M @ You don't even want to know! ;)
This sounds a lot like Ubisoft's Rainbow 6 : Vegas!

Fun game and nice graphics but the lack of support coupled with an overall poor counsel port and bad multiplayer coding has all but killed the game. :ohwell:

lpfreak

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Motherboard Gigabyte EP35-DS3
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S983
Memory Geil DDR667 2x1024MB
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce Gigabyte Turboforce 8800GT 512MB
Storage Western Digital SATA II 320gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 730BF
Case Antec Plusview II
Audio Device(s) Intel ICH9
Power Supply Antec NeoHE 550w
Software Windows XP PROFESSIONAL SP3
hmm at first it didn't work for me, then i found out that it was conflicting with my steering wheel... unplugged all smooth :p on x800gt no AA though..

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
My Saitek controller works, the 360 controller works, and I am going to pick up a wheel kit from a friend later. But that still won't fix the issues with the game.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

haha that is what i want to know as well. i played the original for days and days one summer. never a better racing/tuning game IMO. now everytime i get a new racing game i expect gran tourismo and nothing comes close.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I was banned for posting my site at the Atari forums and for changing a edit that does not break the TOS.

It was not avertising.
It was not useless, it advises the gaming community to stand togeather.
It would only be considered harmfull if Atari's intent is to defraud PC games.

ktr

Just get a psx emulator and makes iso's of GT1/2. I today still play GT2 with my friends online via hamachi. Still very fun.

haha that is what i want to know as well. i played the original for days and days one summer. never a better racing/tuning game IMO. now everytime i get a new racing game i expect gran tourismo and nothing comes close.

I was quite pleased of how Forza came out. My friend who is a big racing sim, especially GT series, fan was surprised of good forza is. He liked the physics, damage, graphics, and the AI. Also he loved the engine swap feature.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Just get a psx emulator and makes iso's of GT1/2. I today still play GT2 with my friends online via hamachi. Still very fun.

im gonna message you

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
The game is a 360 port, so...usher in all the obvious problems:

Test Drive games have always been arcadish, and I don't see why people thought TDU would be any different. This time around it has beefed up graphics, some ok sounds and a free roam map/gameplay.

Wooopie.

I enjoy it, it has it's moments, but if it wasn't for NFS turning into some money making ricer poster boy game, we wouldn't have to turn to Atari for an exotic themed racing game.

Besides, GTR2 dominates all and the multiplayer is just that, multiple humans RACING; not sitting around glitching, cheating or 'cruising' some virtual environment because they can't afford to go out and do it in real life...

7/10

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Fuck Atari.

ktr

Fuck Atari.

Agreed, they have screwed up all the great series ever had since they changed their name from infogrames to atari. Driver series for instance...1 & 2 were great from infogrames, but 3 & PL sucks from atari.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333

I feel yaz, I was off on Grand Turismo when it came out back in my youngin days lol

I guess Need For Speed series is comning out with something thats close in the fall :rockout:
hopefully it fills the void of the legend of Grand Turismo:eek:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I feel yaz, I was off on Grand Turismo when it came out back in my youngin days lol

I guess Need For Speed series is comning out with something thats close in the fall :rockout:
hopefully it fills the void of the legend of Grand Turismo:eek:

one can only hope! gran turismo is one of my fav games of all time and still my fav racing game to this day.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I got banned again.

So far I have been banned from their forums for posting the truth about consumer rights, and then signing up again.

One I did a banning for, I PM'd the guy who is the "bad cop" and told him I signed up again. Now he thinks that he uber banned me. Perhaps by IP, like that would do anything. Plus all my posts about consumer rights have been deleted, and my post about them being able to ban for no reason. One mod objected to this, but his post was edited to make sure that no one else saw our discussion. Stupid lying fuckers.

I am getting tired of this BS and waiting.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I am returning the game for store credit at Gamestop. Fuck Atari. Fuck their games, and fuck their forums.

I will no longer buy their games.