• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Images of MSI's X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Motherboard

As the launch of AMD's Ryzen 2000 processors gets nearer, images of upcoming X470 motherboards are gradually starting to show up on the internet. Last week, we got a glimpse at the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII, and we start this week with a teaser of MSI's X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard. The new motherboard is available with and without onboard WiFi functionality. There's certainly a striking resemblance to the previous X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. While the overall black and silver theme remains practically untouched, the new heatsinks look spectacular. Other cosmetic changes include the addition of RGB lighting to the I/O shroud, the PCH heatsink, and the right edge of the motherboard.

Upon closer examination, the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC has two 8-pin EPS connectors, as opposed to the single 8-pin EPS connector found on its predecessor. According to Canard PC Hardware magazine's review, the power consumption of the new Ryzen 2000 processors is only slightly higher than the previous generation. Our guess is that the second EPS connector on the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is there for the extreme overclockers who plan to overclock the heck out of their chips. Big MSI aficionados might recall that the X370 Gaming Pro Carbon's VRM consists of a 8+2 phase design. Well, the X470 variant now comes with an upgraded 8+4 phase VRM. However, the new motherboard has one less PCIe 1x slot than its predecessor, but makes up for it by having two more SATA III ports for storage. And last but not least, the M.2 Shield on the X470 is longer than the one on the X370, and therefore, it should provide better cooling for your M.2 SSDs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I wonder what type of MOSFETS MSI is using on these new boards, I heard the entire lineup of X370 and B350 board from top to bottom used cheap, leaky ones that generate a lot of waste heat.

Also is that a true 8+4 design or a 4+2 with doubling? My X370 SLI PLUS looks like it has 8+2 but it is actually 4+2 with doubling on the CPU vcore phases.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hopefully they learn to not be cheap on components and bios.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I wonder what type of MOSFETS MSI is using on these new boards, I heard the entire lineup of X370 and B350 board from top to bottom used cheap, leaky ones that generate a lot of waste heat.

Considering my last remaining MSI board just died of the same reason the other three died from earlier (VRM MOSFET failure) I'd have to assume the cheap stuff like before. I will say if I was still in the market for one if I saw the MOSFETs are indeed Nikos parts I'd just walk away from it.
BTW this last board not only died but in the process of kicking the bucket wiped out a CPU that I had only ran for like 10 minutes (If that long really) after buying it.

My point is no matter who makes it or how it's designed...... Or even what features it may have, in the end what it's made of determines what it is in the end.