• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

United States FTC Cracks Down on Predatory Warranty Conditions

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States.

The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies' statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act.

Each company used different language, but here are examples of questionable provisions:
  • The use of [company name] parts is required to keep your . . . manufacturer's warranties and any extended warranties intact.
  • This warranty shall not apply if this product . . . is used with products not sold or licensed by [company name].
  • This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed.
"Provisions that tie warranty coverage to the use of particular products or services harm both consumers who pay more for them as well as the small businesses who offer competing products and services," said Thomas B. Pahl, Acting Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

FTC staff has requested that each company review its promotional and warranty materials to ensure that such materials do not state or imply that warranty coverage is conditioned on the use of specific parts of services. In addition, FTC staff requests that each company revise its practices to comply with the law. The letters state that FTC staff will review the companies' websites after 30 days and that failure to correct any potential violations may result in law enforcement action.

The Federal Trade Commission works to promote competition, and protect and educate consumers. You can learn more about consumer topics and file a consumer complaint online or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357). Like the FTC on Facebook (link is external), follow us on Twitter (link is external), read our blogs and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Finally FTC is standing up for the seals

Corsair should parody this with the ASPCA but they probably miss use the seals too.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Great, now get rid of warranties only being available to the 1st owner. Makes zero sense why a company gets out of it's warranty commitment because you decide to buy a video card from your friend.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Covering the part about not being forced to buy and use only OEM parts is a bigger thing, Nintendo is in hot water over switch current draw, and their over specification charging. Imagine being told by Nintendo your new dead switch isn't covered after it dies from a charger that meets specification but Nintendo didn't. Or Dell voiding your warranty for adding a video card that meets the 75W PCIe limit, but their board isn't capable of it, or their power supply dies and kills everything.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Covering the part about not being forced to buy and use only OEM parts is a bigger thing, Nintendo is in hot water over switch current draw, and their over specification charging. Imagine being told by Nintendo your new dead switch isn't covered after it dies from a charger that meets specification but Nintendo didn't. Or Dell voiding your warranty for adding a video card that meets the 75W PCIe limit, but their board isn't capable of it, or their power supply dies and kills everything.

Wow, have companies become that anti-consumer? That's just gross incompetence, whether intentional or not. I guess it works though. I mean HSBC laundered money for all the big drug cartels and they got away with it for pretty much nothing.

Great, now get rid of warranties only being available to the 1st owner. Makes zero sense why a company gets out of it's warranty commitment because you decide to buy a video card from your friend.

I always wondered about that in USA. Here in my country, only thing you had to do was to hand over the purchase receipt with the item and the person buying it could use warranty like it was the first purchase.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
  • This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed.

correct will be:

• This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed;to avoid this we'll give you another two seals

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I always wondered about that in USA. Here in my country, only thing you had to do was to hand over the purchase receipt with the item and the person buying it could use warranty like it was the first purchase.

Same here, for a country so big on free markets you'd expect better customer protection to be honest. Its staggering what I hear not only from the US but also other countries in terms of warranty and how a customer is treated. Lots of short term quick wins and zero long term investment in a customer base. Its so stupid.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Please, govt isn't going to do a damn thing about auto dealers/manuf lying to customers claiming they have to use their fluids. It happens every day at every dealer for decades, now. Or when they deny legitimate warranty claims every single day at every single dealer (although kia is pretty legitimate).

Cars are junk and everyone knows it. You think the govt is going to crack down on GM? Bwahhahaha. They're all butt buddies. They killed over 100 people and nothing happened. They stole almost 7 billion from taxpayers (in collusion of course) and nothing happened.

What a joke. This is some Obama level lip service.

Wake me up when something is even done about John Deere.

Last edited:

Well i think there must be a fair middle ground somewhere. The company warrants a product for you in case there are defects and ensure it will work as designed for a certain amount of time, so its a testimony about them being sure about their product etc. Rather than being insurance that covers user failures or misfortunes. if you add or switch parts you have practically tweaked and changed the factory design, so by extension whatever happens to the product becomes a mystery because the product was running out of spec. Surely there are many good examples of oems however just taking advantage and finding an easy way out, your example however about the gpu is just a bad one. I dont believe an oem should be responsible for your blowing up the power supply by adding a gpu that it simply wasnt designed to handle.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Wow, have companies become that anti-consumer? That's just gross incompetence, whether intentional or not. I guess it works though. I mean HSBC laundered money for all the big drug cartels and they got away with it for pretty much nothing.
The consumer always has to pay a premium for service that is usually not good. Intel and their speed stepping is the same thing, small increases to sucker the consumer to buying "top of the line" CPU's. The reason the consumer gets shafted in the usa (small letters) here is because of how lobbying works, the more money it throws at those that matter the more they can guarantee things will result in their favor.

So seeing the FTC make this ruling is fodder for the consumer, it looks like a smokescreen.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Same here, for a country so big on free markets you'd expect better customer protection to be honest. Its staggering what I hear not only from the US but also other countries in terms of warranty and how a customer is treated. Lots of short term quick wins and zero long term investment in a customer base. Its so stupid.

It wasn't always this way. Many things have gradually declined with time and this is but one of them.

Please, govt isn't going to do a damn thing about auto dealers/manuf lying to customers claiming they have to use their fluids. It happens every day at every dealer for decades, now. Or when they deny legitimate warranty claims every single day at every single dealer (although kia is pretty legitimate).

Cars are junk and everyone knows it. You think the govt is going to crack down on GM? Bwahhahaha. They're all butt buddies. They killed over 100 people and nothing happened. They stole almost 7 billion from taxpayers (in collusion of course) and nothing happened.

What a joke. This is some Obama level lip service.

Wake me up when something is even done about John Deere.

Yeah... pretty much and it won't be getting better any time soon.

Last edited:

There is still a lot of crap even in Europe. Some vendors have international warranty, but most don't. For example, if I buy ASUS motherboard in Germany, I have to send it to Germany, I can't go to a local distributor. Which sucks major balls, especially since postal costs are ridiculous in my country. For international packages of larger weight (for example a beefy heatsinked graphic card) you can pay from 20-30€ just for shipping to the service center. If something costs 100€ you almost start thinking if it's even worth it...

great news!

RejZor, I feel your pain, I have had Asus+Germany warranty issues (shop= Caseking) and I will never go back to them! A stinking pile of morons.

MSI here in the US puts those stickers on their AIO machines and laptops... Hopefully they will stop now.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
MSI here in the US puts those stickers on their AIO machines and laptops... Hopefully they will stop now.
nope. because they still sell the devices overseas, and they can enforce those stickers there.

Or Dell voiding your warranty for adding a video card that meets the 75W PCIe limit, but their board isn't capable of it, or their power supply dies and kills everything.
You mean HP? Dell stands behind their products solidly. and for that matter so does Nintendo.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Unfortunately I don't think they will stop. They may not be able to void your warranty with those stickers anymore but that won't stop people from thinking it will. Remember, while they may not be able to enforce their anti-consumer policies, they can still make people believe they have less rights than they actually do. If the government wants these stickers to completely go away, it would have to make the stickers themselves, not just the policies, to be illegal. There are many other deceptive warranty tactics that can be used that aren't completely illegal yet either (like shrinkwrap warranties).

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Unfortunately I don't think they will stop. They may not be able to void your warranty with those stickers anymore but that won't stop people from thinking it will. Remember, while they may not be able to enforce their anti-consumer policies, they can still make people believe they have less rights than they actually do. If the government wants these stickers to completely go away, it would have to make the stickers themselves, not just the policies, to be illegal. There are many other deceptive warranty tactics that can be used that aren't completely illegal yet either (like shrinkwrap warranties).
its like driving up to a stop sign, there are those that will completely stop and everyone else wont.