• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports First Quarter 2018 Financial Results

AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) today announced revenue for the first quarter of 2018 of $1.65 billion, operating income of $120 million, net income of $81 million, and diluted earnings per share of $0.08. On a non-GAAP basis, operating income was $152 million, net income was $121 million, and diluted earnings per share was $0.11.

"The first quarter was an outstanding start to 2018 with 40 percent year-over-year revenue growth," said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "PC, gaming and datacenter adoption of our new, high-performance products continues to accelerate. We are excited about our long-term roadmaps and focused on delivering sustained revenue growth and profitability."

Q1 2018 Results
  • All AMD financial results are reported under the new revenue recognition accounting standard, ASC 606, with prior period financial results adjusted for comparison purposes.
  • Revenue was $1.65 billion, up 40 percent year-over-year and 23 percent quarter-over-quarter, driven primarily by higher revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment.
  • Gross margin was 36 percent, up 4 percentage points year-over-year and 2 percentage points quarter-over-quarter. The gross margin percentage increase was driven by a greater percentage of revenue from Ryzen , Radeon and EPYC products.
  • On a GAAP basis, operating income was $120 million compared to operating income of $11 million a year ago and an operating loss of $2 million in the prior quarter.
  • Net income was $81 million compared to net losses of $33 million a year ago and $19 million in the prior quarter. Diluted earnings per share was $0.08, compared to losses per share of $0.04 a year ago and $0.02 in the prior quarter.
  • On a non-GAAP(1) basis, operating income was $152 million compared to operating income of $34 million a year ago and $19 million in the prior quarter.
  • Non-GAAP net income was $121 million compared to net income of $2 million a year ago and $8 million in the prior quarter. Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $0.11, compared to break even from a year ago and diluted earnings per share of $0.01 in the prior quarter.
  • Cash and cash equivalents were $1.04 billion at the end of the quarter.

Quarterly Financial Segment Summary
  • Computing and Graphics segment revenue was $1.12 billion, up 95 percent year-over-year and 23 percent quarter-over-quarter, primarily driven by strong sales of Radeon and Ryzen products.
  • Client processor average selling price (ASP) increased year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter due to a greater percentage of revenue from our Ryzen products.
  • GPU ASP increased year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter driven by a greater percentage of revenue from our new Radeon products.
  • Operating income was $138 million, compared to an operating loss of $21 million a year ago and operating income of $33 million in the prior quarter. Operating income improvement was driven by higher revenue.
  • Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom (EESC) segment revenue was $532 million, down 12 percent year-over-year due to lower semi-custom revenue, partially offset by higher server and embedded revenue. EESC segment revenue was up 23 percent quarter-over-quarter, driven by semi-custom, embedded and EPYC processor revenue.
  • Operating income was $14 million, compared to operating income of $55 million a year ago and an operating loss of $13 million in the prior quarter. The year-over-year decrease was primarily due to a licensing gain that occurred in Q1 2017. The quarter-over-quarter increase was primarily due to higher revenue.
  • All Other operating loss was $32 million compared with operating losses of $23 million a year ago and $22 million in the prior quarter.

Q1 2018 Highlights
  • AMD continued returning innovation and excitement to the PC market with the introduction of new consumer-focused desktop processors.
  • AMD introduced the first AMD Ryzen desktop APUs, combining the high-performance Radeon "Vega" graphics architecture with revolutionary "Zen" CPU cores on a single chip.
  • AMD also delivered the next products in the Company's strong multi-generational roadmap with the launch of its 2nd Generation Ryzen desktop CPUs just over one year after bringing the first Ryzen processors to market. The new 2nd Generation Ryzen processors can deliver up to 15% higher gaming performance compared to 1st Generation Ryzen processors, with the Ryzen 7 2700X processor delivering the highest multiprocessing performance available on a mainstream desktop PC.
  • Adoption of AMD products for the datacenter continued with new AMD EPYC processor-powered platforms and deployments
  • Dell EMC introduced three new PowerEdge platforms powered by AMD EPYC 7000 series server processors.
  • Yahoo Japan Corporation and Packet joined the expanding list of global businesses deploying EPYC processors to enhance the performance and efficiency of their datacenters.
  • Supercomputing leader Cray announced that it added EPYC processors to its Cray CS500 line of HPC offerings.
  • AMD brought the powerful "Zen" architecture to a variety of new embedded markets with the launch of EPYC Embedded and Ryzen Embedded processors.
  • AMD released new Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition updates to optimize the performance of some of the most popular PC games and improve the eSports experience for Radeon graphics card owners.
  • AMD and Microsoft announced support for Radeon FreeSync technology in Microsoft's Xbox One S and Xbox One X consoles, bringing the exceptional tear-free gaming experience to a broader base of gamers.
  • Adobe announced a new version of Adobe Premiere Pro CC with native support for AMD Radeon Pro SSG graphics to dramatically accelerate 4K and 8K workflows for popular native camera formats.
  • Steam launched support for AMD TrueAudio Next in Steam Audio, offering Steam users a more immersive audio experience.
  • AMD was included in Fast Company's "World's Most Innovative Companies" 2018 edition, ranking in the top ten Most Innovative Companies in the Consumer Electronics sector.

Current Outlook
AMD's outlook statements are based on current expectations. The following statements are forward-looking, and actual results could differ materially depending on market conditions and the factors set forth under "Cautionary Statement" below.

For the second quarter of 2018, AMD expects revenue to be approximately $1.725 billion, plus or minus $50 million, an increase of 50 percent year-over-year, and non-GAAP gross margin of approximately 37 percent.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I think this is the longest string of successful financial quarters for AMD since the Athlon 64 days.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not gonna lie or hide it boys. This brought a tear to my eye.

Congratulations AMD. Keep it up.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Crying over financial reports of corporations is the new meta.

LOL. I remember the days when I only followed hardware progression. Being passionate about technology eventually evolves into keeping up with corporations' welfare.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
No, he shed a tear knowing we as consumers won't be condemned to monopoly clusterfuck if AMD was doing badly. You know, like it was prior to Ryzen? Do you want that again?

What's amazing is that the monopoly is technically at an all times high.

Not really. It was during Bulldozer times when AMD just couldn't compete and Intel was rolling in cash as everyone was buying Intel. Current situation is much more balanced as AMD and Intel are about the same, trading blows at different things. As for the fact there aren't any other players like Cyrix, VIA and IBM, well, that's how it has been for many years now... But for as long as we have at least 2 companies that compete with each other well, it's still alright. Or shall I say, it could be worse...

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
AMD stock skyrocketed $1.33 today, and almost $.15 pre-market.

over the next 3 quarters we may see lower numbers thanks to the new asic miner, and more reasonable card pricing.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Crying over financial reports of corporations is the new meta.

He is not crying over financial data, he is crying over the fact that AMD isn't going to go down without a fight. The underdog is fighting back.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
So good to see this, I know I have contributed and I am happy about that..

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Brilliant news, as always I think people love the underdog :) I do and when I do buy new hardware, it will be back to AMD... :) I can't wait

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Not really. It was during Bulldozer times when AMD just couldn't compete and Intel was rolling in cash as everyone was buying Intel. Current situation is much more balanced as AMD and Intel are about the same, trading blows at different things. As for the fact there aren't any other players like Cyrix, VIA and IBM, well, that's how it has been for many years now... But for as long as we have at least 2 companies that compete with each other well, it's still alright. Or shall I say, it could be worse...

Yes but today we are two years into a period where AMD is no real player in the GPU space anymore and people do upgrade GPUs a tad more often than they do platform/CPU. Even today people can still 'get by' with an FX or Sandy Bridge, now try that with a HD7950...

It could be worse yes, but is it so much better? Intel still holds the performance crown in an absolute sense, and Nvidia is bigger than ever. Its really not much different from 2012; the compelling options exist in the mid range, not in the high end where AMD still isn't really competing, rather offering the cost effective alternative like they always have.

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
[...]
It could be worse yes, but is it so much better? Intel still holds the performance crown in an absolute sense, and Nvidia is bigger than ever. Its really not much different from 2012; the compelling options exist in the mid range, not in the high end where AMD still isn't really competing, rather offering the cost effective alternative like they always have.

While that is true there is more money to be made in the mid-segments than the high-end segment.