• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Reports First Quarter 2018 Financial Results

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel Corporation today reported first-quarter 2018 financial results. "Coming off a record 2017, 2018 is off to a strong start. Our PC business continued to execute well and our data-centric businesses grew 25 percent, accounting for nearly half of first-quarter revenue," said Brian Krzanich, Intel CEO. "The strength of Intel's business underscores my confidence in our strategy and the unrelenting demand for compute performance fueled by the growth of data."

"Compared to the first-quarter expectations we set in January, revenue was higher, operating margins were stronger and EPS was better," said Bob Swan, Intel CFO. "Our data-centric strategy is accelerating Intel's transformation, and we're raising our earnings and cash flow expectations for the year." In the first quarter, the company generated approximately $6.3 billion in cash from operations, paid dividends of $1.4 billion and used $1.9 billion to repurchase 41 million shares of stock.

In the first quarter, Intel saw strong performance from data-centric businesses, which accounted for approximately half (49%) of Intel's revenue, an all-time high. The Data Center Group (DCG) achieved growth in all market segments and saw increasing adoption of Intel Xeon Scalable processors, including for artificial intelligence workloads. Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group (NSG) revenue grew 20 percent as strong demand for storage continued. The Programmable Solutions Group (PSG) won new designs with server OEMs adding Intel's field programmable gate array (FPGA) acceleration to their data center offerings, and strong demand from retail and video customers drove first-quarter growth in the Internet of Things Group (IOTG).

The Client Computing Group (CCG) continued its strong execution and introduced a new lineup of high-performance mobile products including the 8th Gen Intel Core i9 processor and a new Intel Core platform extension that brings together the benefits of 8th Gen Intel Core processors with Intel Optane memory. We continue to make 14 nm process optimizations and architectural innovations in both data center and client products that will be coming this year. Intel is currently shipping low-volume 10 nm product and now expects 10 nm volume production to shift to 2019.

In autonomous driving, Mobileye continued momentum with automotive customers and recently won a high-volume design for EyeQ*5. The company also began operating autonomous vehicle test cars in Israel with plans to expand the fleet to other geographies.

Business Outlook
Intel's guidance for the second-quarter and full-year 2018 includes both GAAP and non-GAAP estimates. Reconciliations between these GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures are included below.

Intel's Business Outlook does not include the potential impact of any business combinations, asset acquisitions, divestitures (except as noted below), strategic investments and other significant transactions that may be completed after April 26, 2018. Actual results may differ materially from Intel's Business Outlook as a result of, among other things, the factors described under "Forward-Looking Statements" below. Our guidance above reflects the divestiture of Wind River, which we expect to close during the second quarter of 2018.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
This is why AMD is irrelevant.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Intel's numbers just crush AMD's. Intel's revenue in 2017 was 13x higher and projections this year still show 13x. It is also being reported Intel's 10nm node is having poor yields so will be pushed to 2019. The willingness to push means Intel isn't feeling the pressure even though AMD is offering great values. We need a little more push from AMD - hopefully the 7nm AMD products hold their timeline.

Another day, Another Win for intel...nothing new..keep moving

Even if there's massive breach or whatever hell happens.. Nobody can do anything to intel.
Since there are the only major option..whether anybody likes it or not..

Intel Vs AMD, its like Qualcomm vs Mediatek.

No threat for the monopoly whatsoever..

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
This is why AMD is irrelevant.

The fact that AMD can compete at all with 1/13th of the margins is WHY they are relevant.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Jim and Raja with a healthy R&D budget?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Software Windows 11 22H2
Jim and Raja with a healthy R&D budget?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Ok we all get the point about Jim but Raja ? Im sory but Raja architectural decisions lead RTG where it is today !

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
"and used $1.9 billion to repurchase 41 million shares of stock."

Exactly what they were saying all of these wealthy companies would do with their Republican corporate tax cuts.

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
Ok we all get the point about Jim but Raja ? Im sory but Raja architectural decisions lead RTG where it is today !
No. AMD's limited resources drove Radeon to the ground. They had to choose between CPU or GPU, and AMD chose to allocate more of their resources on CPU development. Ryzen team consists of mostly in-house American engineers. RTG gets... outsourced somewhere in China with the leftover funds.

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Software Windows 11 22H2
No. AMD's limited resources drove Radeon to the ground. They had to choose between CPU or GPU, and AMD chose to allocate more of their resources on CPU development. Ryzen team consists of mostly in-house American engineers. RTG gets... outsourced somewhere in China with the leftover funds.

AMD chosing to allocate more of their resources on CPU development is the consequence not the cause !

AMD had a tremendous sucess in the GPU department with their 200 series , what came after that much less and this is purely because of Raja's wrong decisions . AMD is where it is today in the CPU department because clever architectural decisions have been made ( infinity fabric etc ) , had Raja been able to make some clever decisions on the GPU side , RTG would had been in a much better position limited resources or not !

Last edited:
Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
"and used $1.9 billion to repurchase 41 million shares of stock."

Exactly what they were saying all of these wealthy companies would do with their Republican corporate tax cuts.
Yup, didn't even comment on that in my post. I got 50 bucks more in each paycheck but will just see a lower return in the spring. And my 50 bucks just goes to $1/gal higher fuel now anyway - they started jacking that up right when the withholding changed in Feb. Scam-o-rama.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AMD chosing to allocate more of their resources on CPU development is the consequence not the cause !

AMD had a tremendous sucess in the GPU department with their 200 series , what came after that much less and this is purely because of Raja's wrong decisions . AMD is where it is today in the CPU department because clever architectural decisions have been made ( infinity fabric etc ) , had Raja been able to make some clever decisions on the GPU side , RTG would had been in a much better position limited resources or not !
Could have, would have, should have ... it sucks when right decisions aren't even in the budget ... by the time of radeon 200 series release it was obvious that competition was on the fast track of increasing efficiency ... so if the right decision was so obvious and not taken, the reason why is also obvious - budget limitations. It's kinda expensive to rework the whole arch.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The fact that AMD can compete at all with 1/13th of the margins is WHY they are relevant.

I know right. That is basic statistical analysis.

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Software Windows 11 22H2
Could have, would have, should have ... it sucks when right decisions aren't even in the budget ... by the time of radeon 200 series release it was obvious that competition was on the fast track of increasing efficiency ... so if the right decision was so obvious and not taken, the reason why is also obvious - budget limitations. It's kinda expensive to rework the whole arch.

Don't make things up , i never said the right decision was obvious , nothing is obvious at this level . What i did said was that Raja had the time and arguably the budget ( at least when he joined ) to pull something clever and he simply didn't ( unlike what Jim did on the CPU side ) . You talk about budget limitations but RTG marketing budget alone has exploded between 200 series era and now , so yeah it's a bit hard to defend this idea .

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Don't make things up , i never said the right decision was obvious , nothing is obvious at this level . What i did said was that Raja had the time and arguably the budget ( at least when he joined ) to pull something clever and he simply didn't ( unlike what Jim did on the CPU side ) . You talk about budget limitations but RTG marketing budget alone has exploded between 200 series era and now , so yeah it's a bit hard to defend this idea .
I said right decision was obvious, not you so I'm not making anything up and you're rambling. The right decision was to optimize GCN towards energy efficiency and that was not in the budget because it's an expensive change making gpu architecture hierarchical + modular + with cache on every level ... and with tiled rasterizer which can't be done without fore-mentioned stuff
IMHO they should have taken that exploded marketing budget and use it to raise finances for proper evolution of GCN.

Last edited:
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Software Windows 11 22H2
I said right decision was obvious, not you so I'm not making anything up and you're rambling. The right decision was to optimize GCN towards energy efficiency and that was not in the budget because it's an expensive change making gpu architecture hierarchical + modular + with cache on every level ... and with tiled rasterizer which can't be done without fore-mentioned stuff
IMHO they should have taken that exploded marketing budget and use it to raise finances for proper evolution of GCN.

I agree with you that one possible right decision was to make GCN more energy efficient but i disagree when you keep saying it wasn't in the budget . Between 2013 ( when 200's came out ) and now there are 5 years so in 5 years there is definitely enough time and budget to make that happen , the thing is instead of taking this path Raja focused his time on integrating HBM among other things wich proved to be a bad idea especially for gaming cards .

I mentioned marketing budget to make a point. My point was do you realy believe that AMD/RTG is going to put that much money in their marketing if they have no money to make evolve their architecture ? It doesn't make sense at all , and if that is realy the case then i let you guess who's to be blamed for that !

Cooling Corsair AIO
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
... do you realy believe that AMD/RTG is going to put that much money in their marketing if they have no money to make evolve their architecture ? It doesn't make sense at all
I understand how it seems so, but let's not underestimate the real cost of gpu arch rework and how it multiplies the cost on each level of design and manufacturing process and in each company division.
How could we measure accompanying risk though? How about using unit called 'everything' ... and when you can't throw more money at it to reduce risk ... also budget issue
instead of taking this path Raja focused his time on integrating HBM
... you could call this budget allocation issue :laugh: you see where I'm going ... there is always an angle: more could have been done with different budget/allocation. I can't really argue how much of a deciding factor it was.