• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Intros Carbide SPEC-05 Mid-tower Case

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Corsair expanded its Carbide SPEC line of entry-level cases with the new SPEC-05. This ATX mid-tower case is characterized by a clever design gimmick - the left side panel looks like it's tempered glass because it covers almost the entire area of the panel, but is actually clear acrylic. The front features a somewhat curvy design with a gash that runs through the middle, revealing the front intake vent with its illuminated 120 mm intake fan. Internally, the case resembles the likes of the Carbide 100R, with a roomy single compartment layout.

Drive bays include three 3.5-inch/2.5-inch bays, and two 2.5-inch mounts. The case has room for graphics cards up to 37 cm in length, CPU coolers up to 15 cm in height, and PSUs up to 18 cm in length. Ventilation includes either 3x 120 mm or 2x 140 mm front intakes, 2x 140/120 mm top exhausts, and a 120 mm rear exhaust. The case measures 199 mm x 483 mm x 433 mm (WxDxH). Front panel connectivity includes two type-A USB 3.0 ports, and HDA jacks. Available now, and backed by a 2-year warranty, the Corsair Carbide SPEC-05 is priced at USD $49.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Allen screws to fasten the acrylic side on, really?
Thumb screws would be easier.
Same old tired, recycled interior design, with a fancy side and front fascia slapped on.

I dislike that the chassis itself as it's just rehashed stamped ones already put out like Caring1 mentioned. I especially hate the rears of these cases (not just Corsair but like almost all are using practically the same). But I do like the front facade though.

Last edited:
Can we bloody get some good silenced, solid side panel cases? Everything with these stupid clear side panels... People rather look at silly flashing LED's instead of having a padded side panel to silence the noise...

- Cheap, 20$-grade featureless chassis
- TEMPERED GLASS OFC (but sometimes not really)
- Choked front intake

You know it boys, its a 2018 case.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
Interesting use of acrylic to mimic glass.

Allen screws to fasten the acrylic side on, really?
Thumb screws would be easier.
Same old tired, recycled interior design, with a fancy side and front fascia slapped on.

lol.. I call that out on these ... thumbscrews , you can see on a 50$ or less case not on the like ones for 100$ + like you see . then the thumb screws just cheapen it . like that 299$ deepcool with the same thumb screw side panels not a lockable latched and hinged side panel . for that kinda of money that should be standard not chinchy thumbscrews

then this case is at the 50 buck spot so thumbscrews are expected

latched and hinged and full tower too boot...

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...760T-Full-Tower-Windowed-Case/p/CC-9011073-WW

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Series™-730T-Full-Tower-Case/p/CC-9011046-WW

or at the same price mid tower and thumb screws same style panel ? that 50 buck case above is looking a bit better

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/570x-rgb-config/p/CC-9011110-WW

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard Asrock X470 Master sli/ac
Cooling Raijintek Themis Evo
Memory Team Dark Pro 3200 cl14
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 850W
if its good stuff it will not some acrylic is better then glass at 50 bucks for the case I could go with scratches over time / or quickly ? at that price you know its not the top quality stuff or its the main cost of the case .

thing with acrylic is only use warm soap water to clean it . that's important to its life

heres a list of some pro's and cons

https://www.fgdglass.com/glass-vs-acrylic-better-use/

Can we bloody get some good silenced, solid side panel cases? Everything with these stupid clear side panels... People rather look at silly flashing LED's instead of having a padded side panel to silence the noise...

Near as I can tell, there is exactly ONE case out there
that meets your spec... Antec Sonata Proto.

It has another useful feature you didn't mention.
The PSU is on top where it doesn't collect dust and
choke up. Oh, and it uses 120mm fans and only in front
and out back.

it is getting to be a pretty slim market for "practical
and effective" these days.

Near as I can tell, there is exactly ONE case out there
that meets your spec... Antec Sonata Proto.

It has another useful feature you didn't mention.
choke up. Oh, and it uses 120mm fans and only in front
and out back.

it is getting to be a pretty slim market for "practical
and effective" these days.

'''The PSU is on top where it doesn't collect dust and
choke up.''

''it is getting to be a pretty slim market for "practical
and effective" these days''

you got that right . its now all about hyped gimmicked unnecessary impractical cheap china plastic junk . [lol] .. like said ''with today efficient hardware '' all that is needed with the 4 /8 - 120mm fans and open tops when the old day stuff was power hungry and fried eggs funny how a vid card today at 175w is still running 80c on air with all these fancy coolers on them in these cases just like when we did not have any of this at all ...
I still use my old antec sx 630II just give it a quality automotive paint job to freshen up the out side from time to time . hard to let go of something that works and built like a tank / practical

choke up.

A bottom-mounted PSU provides a cleaner look and is easier to route cables where it isn't obstructed by the expansion bays, they're also typically ventilated so you don't have to expel air into your chassis.

I don't see where that's a issue with this old girl at the top or bottom there still all going to the same places [wiring ] . then like said most all trash/ dust settles at the bottom of a case and to the floor of a room for that psu to suck it all in .cleaner look ? I guess I tend to look at whats being put on my displays not worry about looks in the case . if I need cleaner I blow it out with air from time to time . its all a matter of what you like and in your opinion I guess .

in like about 15 years I yet to replace this one just grab 30 -50 buck cases for the hand me downs and I do prefer top mounted only psu's

tom be honest the only thing that's now catching up to this case are these 15+ inch long vid cards of today and even with some of these newer cases you see that standard reference length are fine

Last edited:

I find comments like this quite dumb since there are plenty of such cases already old and new. You say this like you'd even bother to buy it if it had a solid panel while it STILL has that facade. Come on. What a farce. For examples, here you go:

https://www.nanoxiausa.com/collections/deep-silence-cases

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=680&area=en

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/silencio-550/

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/silencio650pure/

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139058

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139056

http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/..._00002676/Suppressor_F51_No_Window/design.htm

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
@Supercrit well, once you apply a protective film on both sides OR you treat it like it's glass, then you won't see scratches ruining the view.

lol... guess that's why I still use this near 15 year old antec with a lockable latch swing out side panel . a practical , heavy , well built, tooless , case, and takes my latest build just as good as its first . every so often I give it a ''custom'' automotive paint job to change it up exterior look sand prime tape and paint as I want . [ antec sx 630 and I had a sx 850 soho I gave away like a idiot looking back at that now...lol.. ]

like the guy above said '' Same old tired, recycled interior design, with a fancy side and front fascia slapped on. '' and a guy on the last case review said ''' the state of todays cases is pretty sad ''

don't forget the 20 way user LED disco lighting thtas the number 1 selling point of these things today over support, function , service , and all that matters to 90 % of the folks today [OH< WOW !! got to have it never looking at anything else unless hyped FPS are involved ]

so I guess that why I keep using this old girl . nothing but these silly looking disco tech lite up cheap china plastic unpractical junk . like the psu at the bottom ? that also make it harder if something goes wrong to quickly reach the switch of the psu and like this door / side panel you aint getting it open fast to stop something or what ever . this one you'd be lucky to find the allen wrench in any reasonable time before you even got to try to open it up...lol...

I guess this antec sx 630 is with me till the day I die