• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Expands Its Threadripper Waterblock Portfolio With the EK-Supremacy sTR4's Four SKUs

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
EK is releasing new dedicated EK-Supremacy sTR4 water blocks that are specifically designed for HEDT AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors. The cold plate covers the entire IHS of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor and the fin structure is fine-tuned for multi-die CPU cooling.

EK-Supremacy sTR4
The release of AMD X399 chipset based HEDT processors opened new opportunities and challenges for cooling solutions. EK was first on market with a liquid cooling solution, but now it's time to go for the pole-position. The primary goal in designing the new EK-Supremacy sTR4 water block was to cover the entire IHS of HEDT AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors and to optimize the fin structure according to the CPU die layout. A dense micro-fin structure that counts 91 grooves is split in half in the center so that the CPU dies are cooled more directly. The water block features a patent-pending technology called TDC (Targeted Die Cooling), which is a unique approach to cooling of multi-die processors in order to maximize the cooling performance of every single die by addressing them directly.

We are announcing four versions of the EK-Supremacy sTR4 waterblock:
  • EK-Supremacy sTR4 RGB - Nickel
  • EK-Supremacy sTR4 - Nickel
  • EK-Supremacy sTR4 - Acetal + Nickel
  • EK-Supremacy sTR4 - Full Nickel

Every EK-Supremacy sTR4 water block comes with a precisely machined copper base (sometimes referred to as 'cold plate') which is made from purest copper available on the market and is treated with nickel electroplating. Unlike some other CPU blocks, the sTR4 comes with a diamond cut unpolished cold plate to achieve the best possible contact with the IHS of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor, thus enabling better thermal transfer. The top is made from CNC machined POM Acetal, acrylic glass or nickel-plated brass (depending on the variant).

All mentioned water blocks are enclosed with a small tube of high-performance Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut thermal grease. It's suitable for high demanding users and for overclocking due to its excellent thermal conductivity. The thermal grease consists of a silicon-free structure, this makes it very light and highly flexible and easy to apply. It's recommended that users follow the EK-Supremacy sTR4 water block installation manual for the suggested method of thermal grease application for the best-expected results.

The base plate is covering 100% of the of the AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). The EK-Supremacy sTR4 cooling engine implemented into the water block is the key to a high-flow design with low hydraulic restriction combined with high-performance cooling. The RGB version of the EK-Supremacy sTR4 water block is compatible with popular RGB sync technologies from all major motherboard manufacturers. The arrow marking on the 4-pin LED connector is to be aligned with the +12V marking on the RGB header. You can easily remove the LED strip cover which is mounted with two screws to replace the LED strip with some other type LED strip.

EK-Supremacy sTR4 comes with a pre-assembled error-preventing mounting mechanism that is installed directly onto the SocketTR4 mounting holes. The result is a perfect installation which results in optimal performance every time. This also means the water block is out of the box compatible with AMD's server type Socket SP3 motherboards. With such a mounting solution, the user does not need to remove the motherboard from the case and so has a hassle-free installation procedure of the new CPU. The sliding mounting screws also allow the block to be flipped and to orient the In and Out ports based on the user's needs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
It was about time since EK had the worst waterblock to cool TR untill now !

Hopefully those who purchased their previous TR waterblock will get a big discount on this or even better a free replacement .

Hmm, looking at this I would say either EK has received a tip off that Thread Ripper 2 is going to have more than 16 cores, or they are just trying to exploit the fact that most users these days don't understand that the CPU dies are much smaller than the IHS and there's zero benefit to covering the entire IHS.

Hmm, looking at this I would say either EK has received a tip off that Thread Ripper 2 is going to have more than 16 cores, or they are just trying to exploit the fact that most users these days don't understand that the CPU dies are much smaller than the IHS and there's zero benefit to covering the entire IHS.

That's not entirely true. Heat doesn't go straight through the IHS, it expands on its surface, outwards. Meaning if you cool entire IHS, you're increasing the cooling capacity/potential.

That's not entirely true. Heat doesn't go straight through the IHS, it expands on its surface, outwards. Meaning if you cool entire IHS, you're increasing the cooling capacity/potential.

Yup, it would be a huge mistake not to cool all of the IHS+ 5-10%.

Looking good, EK. Nice job.

No, not in the slightest. You see the name IHS is a misnomer, it is not a heat spreader (the IHS is actually a thermal insulator) it is a weight spreader, it's there to protect the die or dies from crushing during cooler installation (similar to the rubber bump stops on the Athlon XP).

Once the die or dies are covered by the waterblock there is zero benefit to covering any more of the IHS, the threadripper blocks simply do it because it's what unknowing users expect. Last August when the TR4 blocks first launched I demonstrated this by running both the TR4 Supremacy and the 115x Supremacy on my 1950X using the TR4 bracket, there was approximately 0% difference in performance. However in both cases there was a notable gain from rotating the block 90 degrees (this is the fin orientation all the other blocks use) so it's nice to see EK have learned from that with this updated block.

That's BS and you know it. I well know what naked core is and what's an IHS. Been slapping coolers on CPU's back from when they were still all naked. If outer edge of the block is barely covering cores, it means the actual fin stack inside of it is NOWHERE near the actual cores. If you cover most of the IHS, it means cores are located directly underneath the fin stack of the block.

No, not in the slightest. You see the name IHS is a misnomer, it is not a heat spreader (the IHS is actually a thermal insulator) it is a weight spreader, it's there to protect the die or dies from crushing during cooler installation (similar to the rubber bump stops on the Athlon XP).

Once the die or dies are covered by the waterblock there is zero benefit to covering any more of the IHS, the threadripper blocks simply do it because it's what unknowing users expect. Last August when the TR4 blocks first launched I demonstrated this by running both the TR4 Supremacy and the 115x Supremacy on my 1950X using the TR4 bracket, there was approximately 0% difference in performance. However in both cases there was a notable gain from rotating the block 90 degrees (this is the fin orientation all the other blocks use) so it's nice to see EK have learned from that with this updated block.

How is it that greater area of thermal transfer makes no difference? Especially when the IHS heats up along with the dies and that heat spreads out across the IHS -- why wouldn't you want to cool the whole thing? Especially with Threadripper which is not a monolithic design with a single small die in the center. Regardless of what the intended purpose of the IHS is in your mind it does function in this way.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12454/analyzing-threadripper-cooling-big-base-cooling-wins/5

To say that only the part of the IHS directly above the die needs to make contact with the cooler is like asking why AMD's stock heatsink has a fan that covers the entire thing when it only needs to cover the section above the die.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2

Lol this is total BS !

HardOCP reviews have shown that there is HUGE difference between blocks who cover the entire IHS and those who don't like the previous Supremacy EVO TR block :https://images.hardocp.com/images/articles/1526065020nhd1rl3n47_3_3.png
As you can see there is 12°C delta between something like the Raystorm wich covers the entire IHS and the EVO TR that doesn't . 12°C delta for a waterblock means that blocks who have full coverage are on another planet !

This is precisely the rason that pushed EK to realease a full cover block .

If you cover most of the IHS, it means cores are located directly underneath the fin stack of the block.

This !!!

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
IHS is a misnomer, it is not a heat spreader (the IHS is actually a thermal insulator) it is a weight spreader
Well..., not quite.

Once the die or dies are covered by the waterblock there is zero benefit to covering any more of the IHS
That is not true. Heat(energy) does not travel in a straight line through a substance. Think of every Flir image you've ever seen. There's always a hot spot with outward spreading, decreasing thermal "rings".
example
I demonstrated this by running both the TR4 Supremacy and the 115x Supremacy on my 1950X using the TR4 bracket, there was approximately 0% difference in performance
But EKWB has basically admitted that that block sucks. We'll look forward to your analysis of the new block compared to the 115x Supremacy.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Good and nice job EK !:clap:

That is not true. Heat(energy) does not travel in a straight line through a substance. Think of every Flir image you've ever seen. There's always a hot spot with outward spreading, decreasing thermal "rings".
The heat present on the outer edges of the IHS is transferred not from the dies but outwards from the centre of the IHS which is contacting the dies, essentially the empty area of the IHS is acting as fins for the central contacted part. When you apply a waterblock to it it makes zero difference to CPU temps if you cover the excess parts of the IHS or not.

This can be demonstrated easily by comparing the results of the standard EK Supremacy Evo block and the elongated TR4 one, the results are approximately identical thus it's safe to say there is no benefit of having the waterblock extended over the empty space. What was interesting was that the standard block performed noticeably better when rotated 90 degrees (which is to be expected as that fin stack orientation better fits the die layout of Threadripper) and the same was true of the TR4 block (which in that orientation has the elongated section hanging off over the edges of the CPU).

We'll look forward to your analysis of the new block compared to the 115x Supremacy.
I definitely plan to do one, hopefully this time people will believe me if I point out something wrong instead of like several months ago when I was the only one saying EK had messed up and everyone was calling me names and saying EK knew what they were doing lol.

Three things that are immediately apparent from the photo are that they have rotated the fin stack 90 degrees (finally lol) and changed the jet plate. This hopefully should give it equal if not better performance to the standard Supremacy EVO (which has no TR4 jetplate option), however the third thing is that they have failed to rotate the blocks G1/4 port orientation, opting to polish the turd, hopefully they have managed to do it as you would expect them to have thoroughly tested everything this time around.