• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology Announces the DiskStation DS1618+ 6-bay NAS

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Synology today launched the DiskStation DS1618+, a 6-bay NAS featuring the Intel Atom C3538. For tech enthusiasts and small to medium-sized businesses, the DS1618+ is a solution for file serving, application hosting, data backup, and real-time collaboration.

DS1618+ is powered by a quad-core Intel Atom processor C3538 and 4GB DDR4 non-ECC SODIMM, expandable up to 32 GB in ECC SODIMMs. The storage capacity can be upgraded to 192TB when connected to two DX517 expansion units, providing fast-growing companies a data storage solution that scales with their business.

"Modern-day companies compete based on the speed at which they generate, process, and use data to drive innovations," said Derren Lu, CEO at Synology. "By integrating Intel technology , we are putting a compact powerhouse in every SMB. It will allow them to take advantage of that untapped throughput to give their companies that extra edge."

With Synology's M2D17 PCIe adapter card, DS1618+ can house dual M.2 SATA SSD, taking advantage of the SSD cache to boost maximum throughput and reduce the I/O latency. By alternatively installing a network interface card via the PCIe slot, DS1618+ supports up to two 10GbE ports to reach a maximum throughput of 1,551 MBps reading and 586 MBps writing.

"Small to medium sized businesses need powerful, secure and scalable storage solutions to efficiently manage their growing levels of digital content," said Dan Artusi, Vice President and General Manager of Intel's Connected Home Division. "Through our collaboration with Synology, their new DiskStation NAS products based on the Intel Atom processor C series have the performance and configurable high-speed I/O to help businesses quickly store and manage their most critical data."

DS1618+ runs on DiskStation Manager, the advanced and intuitive operating system for Synology NAS devices, with quality applications offered to enhance data security and work efficiency. Synology has received numerous media accolades, topping the mid-range NAS category in TechTarget's storage solution survey and winning PC Mag Readers' Choice seven years in a row.

Synology's Extended Warranty add-on service (EW201) can be purchased together with DS1618+, available in select regions worldwide, to provide up to five years of hardware warranty coverage. The product is immediately for sale at $799.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
$75 CPU turned into a $799.99 NAS... Hmmm, something is seriously wrong with the NAS market these days when it comes to retail pricing of these things.
Also very poor 10Gbps performance considering the cost.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
$75 CPU turned into a $799.99 NAS... Hmmm, something is seriously wrong with the NAS market these days when it comes to retail pricing of these things.
Also very poor 10Gbps performance considering the cost.
You're actually more than anything paying for the OS/software experience and warranty.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
You're actually more than anything paying for the OS/software experience and warranty.

Sure, you're paying for the software, but you can get as good software for free...
To be honest, having worked for one of the Taiwanese NAS makers, their software leaves a lot to be desired.
Admittedly they've gotten better at patching security issues, but the software is old and clunky and when things can't be easily patched, issues might never get fixed, which is great, no?

And the warranty, well, I get warranty on the parts I bought to build my own NAS which cost far less than this in total.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

That is what thought too but now I am not so sure.

I have a Synology DS1815+ 8 bay NAS that uses an Intel Atom c2000 series soc which is susceptible to the AVR54 errata. The Synology official line was that there was basically nothing to worry about but that they would extend the warranty for an additional year for models that use the Intel Atom C2000 series SOC (that were currently still under warranty).

That sounds reasonable if you believe there was no reason to be concerned and a re trusting.

In addition Synology seemed to be modifying their returned units to implement an Intel recommended hardware work around by adding a pull-down resister to the motherboards that used the C2000 series. They also started manufacturing newer models with the fix.

I called Synology and requested a warranty replacement due to this issue which they granted. They shipped a new unit manufactured with the fix rather then a modified one. I view this more as user requested recall whereas some other manufacturers had official recalls.

As for the OS, I think Synology DSM is great but you can also get the same experience with XPEnology on your own hardware.

This particular model, the DS1618+ seems to have a single PCIe slot that can be used either with the 10GbE card or the dual M.2 SATA SSD card. One would think that both would be necessary as the SSD cache would complement the 10GbE. One without the other is almost pointless.

I think what you get with solutions such as this is a relatively reliable ready to go system. The price is high for what you get but this is also true of other manufacturers such as QNAP. Although with QNAP you get a bit more for your $$$.

The QNAP TS-1677X Ryzen NAS units using the RyZen 7 1700 (8-cores/16-threads) starts at about ~$3000 USD. The Ryzen 3 1200 (4-cores/4-threads) version starts at about ~$2500 USD.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Sure, you're paying for the software, but you can get as good software for free...
To be honest, having worked for one of the Taiwanese NAS makers, their software leaves a lot to be desired.
Admittedly they've gotten better at patching security issues, but the software is old and clunky and when things can't be easily patched, issues might never get fixed, which is great, no?

And the warranty, well, I get warranty on the parts I bought to build my own NAS which cost far less than this in total.
You might be able to get good software for free, but you also dont have the ease of setup/use and youd spend the same if not more building a rig yourself for the amount of hdds you want/need and having ecc ram.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
You might be able to get good software for free, but you also dont have the ease of setup/use and youd spend the same if not more building a rig yourself for the amount of hdds you want/need and having ecc ram.

You're aware none of these comes with drives, right?

You might have a harder time finding a nice, suitable chassis, I agree with that, but that's mostly because there are too few case manufacturers interested in building NAS chassis, especially for a reasonable cost. They seem to be more interested in building cases with glass panels these days...

I have a mini-ITX rig with four hot swappable bays and a 10Gbps Ethernet card. It's a great little machine and I'm running OMV on it which allows me to do most of the things you can do on one of the branded NAS models. Software setup is very easy as long as you can read on screen instructions. I did admittedly run into an issue with drivers for the 10Gbps card which was a bit of a headache, but that's what I get for being an early-ish adopter of new hardware.

You can build something similar to this for at least a couple of hundred bucks less, although it's not easy getting hold of Atom C3xxx-series boards as an end user, so you might have to get something a bit more mainstream as the CPU, but then again, getting a Core i3 or something similar would give you better performance for at least some things.

I'm not against ready build NAS appliances, I just think the cost of them have run out of control lately with fairly basic models costing north of $500.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
You're aware none of these comes with drives, right?
I am aware, yes. But if you build your own you still gotta purchase drives if you're going to do anything other than JBOD. So either way you have to purchase hdds.

The point isn't just WHAT the hardware is, it's the convenience of everything packed together in a fairly small box with good software and support. I just do whitebox builds. Even enterprise can just whitebox their solutions. Hell, SuperMicro & Tyan makes it very easy and even they have ready to go solutions. YET companies still pay $$$$ more for HP and Dell. Why? The support contract and extra software involved mostly. If you're the type to just DIY it, why bother looking at this and complaining? Plus plenty of old server gear with 2.5" and 3.5" options on Ebay at $250 or less. Convenience has a premium. I mean, you COULD fix up your car yourself, brakes, belts, oil change, etc, whatever. Or you could pay more and have someone else do it for you. Most pick someone else.

the DS1618+ seems to have a single PCIe slot that can be used either with the 10GbE card or the dual M.2 SATA SSD card. One would think that both would be necessary as the SSD cache would complement the 10GbE. One without the other is almost pointless.
Serious statement. Do you think it is true?
I think speeds mentioned are with only one or another. 1551 MB/s READ isn't good enough? Doesn't it justify the price?
I have DS1512+ which was more expensive back in 2012 and looking for an upgrade with ASUS XG C100 10Gbe cheap cards in my office