• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer the First in the Industry to Ship Notebooks with Amazon Alexa

Acer today announced that several of its popular Windows 10 notebook lines are the industry's first to offer Alexa pre-installed, including the Acer Spin 3 and Acer Spin 5 lines, which are available at retailers now. The news today is the first step in Acer's plans to roll out Alexa across its PC portfolio. Alexa will also be pre-installed on the Acer Nitro 5 Spin convertible gaming notebook line next month. It will also be available on select Aspire, Switch and Swift notebooks, as well as Aspire all-in-one PCs, as they are rolled out to Acer's retail partners over the next few weeks.

Additional product lines already purchased by customers will soon be able to be updated with Alexa via the Acer Care Center. The first Acer notebook lines to receive the update will be the Acer Spin 5 and Spin 3 convertible families on May 23 and May 26, respectively.

"The Acer Spin 3 and Spin 5 convertible notebooks are the ideal products for the industry debut of Alexa voice functionality on notebooks," said Jerry Kao, President of IT Products Business of Acer Inc. "We are thrilled to be the first to market with these flexible systems, which feature industry-leading audio and the latest technologies for convenient, time-saving and intuitive interactions."

"We're delighted to work with Acer to bring Alexa to customers in new ways," said Steve Rabuchin, Vice President, Amazon Alexa. "We believe customers should be able to interact with Alexa wherever they might need her, including from their PCs, in order to take advantage of the simplicity of voice control."  

Voice Control Lets Customers Do More
Acer customers can use their Alexa-compatible Acer notebooks and desktops to get more done via voice control. For example, customers can ask Alexa to check the weather, make an entry on their calendar, create lists, answer questions, or play their favorite music, podcasts or audiobooks. Acer customers can ask Alexa to manage smart home devices including lighting, thermostats and home appliances, all with their voice.

Acer's notebooks and desktops with Alexa are Enabled by Intel Smart Sound Technology, an integrated audio DSP (Digital Signal Processor) built to handle audio, voice and speech interactions. With Intel Smart Sound Technology, the devices provide support for voice control along with high-fidelity audio.

The Acer Spin 5 has Acer Purified.Voice and four digital microphones that support far-field voice recognition. Other Acer notebooks feature dual microphones that support near-field voice recognition. All supported convertible and 2-in-1 notebooks come with front-facing speakers and provide an immersive audio experience.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
yucky ::washes hands and walks away from this thread::

I'll never trust Alexa. Last I heard, Alexa collects more personal data than even Google Now, and Siri only collects like a fraction of both. Not an Apple fan either, but I respect them for collecting such little amount of data with Siri.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll never trust Alexa. Last I heard, Alexa collects more personal data than even Google Now, and Siri only collects like a fraction of both. Not an Apple fan either, but I respect them for collecting such little amount of data with Siri.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
alexa will give you an std bruh

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Voice controlled PCs will continue the trend towards illiteracy. But will it even matter, when the machines take over? Acer was first. Remember that when running for your life from the giant laser-shooting robots.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I wonder if you can get Alexa and Cortana to argue with eachother...
That would be the best solution to evade a skynet future. They would argue until they decided it's not worth living anymore and disconnect.

Soo with you on these points. I mean serious, why would anyone want a device that is DESIGNED to listen to everything you say? Seriously, what with people? Why are people letting companies spy on them so freely? Do they not care? Are they that stupid?..

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Soo with you on these points. I mean serious, why would anyone want a device that is DESIGNED to listen to everything you say? Seriously, what with people? Why are people letting companies spy on them so freely? Do they not care? Are they that stupid?..

Yeah, LinusTechtips did a thing where they requested by law the amount of information Google, Apple, and Facebook had on him. I think Google was about 250+mb of data, Facebook around the same, and Apple was only 9mb of data. I can't prove it, but if I were a betting man, I would say Alexa is up there with the big two. haha

Yeah, LinusTechtips did a thing where they requested by law the amount of information Google, Apple, and Facebook had on him. I think Google was about 250+mb of data, Facebook around the same, and Apple was only 9mb of data. I can't prove it, but if I were a betting man, I would say Alexa is up there with the big two. haha
And that is a lot of data! For those reasons I don't post personal info anywhere online. Facebook was deleted years ago, but I was careful even then. Google has very little actual relevant data. There is no frakin way I'm letting a "digital assistant" have direct access to the daily what-nots of my family and I. There are so many foul and wrong ways it could be used if it were exploited/hacked. No level of convenience is worth that risk, ever!

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
And that is a lot of data! For those reasons I don't post personal info anywhere online. Facebook was deleted years ago, but I was careful even then. Google has very little actual relevant data. There is no frakin way I'm letting a "digital assistant" have direct access to the daily what-nots of my family and I. There are so many foul and wrong ways it could be used if it were exploited/hacked. No level of convenience is worth that risk, ever!
And then there is the Sesame Credit in China, the complete control system.

What I don't really understand is why in these times when everybody is remembering and quoting all those dystopian future novels and authors, corporations and goverments push all this control crap and no one baits an eye.