• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raja Hires Larrabee Architect Tom Forsyth to Help With Intel GPU

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
A few months ago we reported that Raja Koduri has left AMD to work at Intel on their new discrete GPU project. Looks like he's building a strong team, with the most recent addition being Tom Forsyth who is the father of Larrabee, which was Intel's first attempt at making an x86-based graphics processor. While Larrabee did not achieve its goal and is considered a failure by many, it brought some interesting improvements to the world, for example AVX512, and is now sold under the Xeon Phi brand.

Tom, who has previously worked at Oculus, Valve, and 3DLabs posted on Twitter that he's joining Intel in Raja's group, but he's "Not entirely sure what he'll be working on just yet." At Oculus and Valve he worked on Virtual Reality projects, for example he wrote big chunks of the Team Fortress 2 VR support for the Oculus Rift. Taking a look at Tom's papers suggests that he might join the Intel team as lead for VR-related projects, as that's without a doubt one of Raja's favorite topics to talk about.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
VR :kookoo:

Keep living in fantasy land Koduri

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home
People really are trying to build this up as Intel releasing a card that will blow away Nvidia's xx80 & Ti cards, for less (or the same) $$$, aren't they?

I think the most we can hope for in a first generation release is a competitor to the low-mid range Nvidia cards, xx50, xx60, where the vast majority of profits are made in the GPU space. Intel, as always, will follow the money, not the glory of having the fastest.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
People really are trying to build this up as Intel releasing a card that will blow away Nvidia's xx80 & Ti cards, for less (or the same) $$$, aren't they?

I think the most we can hope for in a first generation release is a competitor to the low-mid range Nvidia cards, xx50, xx60, where the vast majority of profits are made in the GPU space. Intel, as always, will follow the money, not the glory of having the fastest.

Not sure about people but its common sense to me that no, first gen Intel GPUs won't be interesting at all. But 3-5 years down the line? This is about competition, not about a 1080ti killer.

Intel should focus on making a brand new and much improved software suite first.

Who even cares about VR ? VR was a 2017 buzzword no one really cares anymore. Just looks around, back in 2017 everyone was obsessing with stupid VR headsets, everyone doing live streams falling over and now no one really cares about it. lol Just as predicted. What is funny is how NO ONE is doing VR to work in combination with existing games just as a headtracking system. Imagine endless possibilities with FPS games played using VR headset with mouse and keyboard. Superior control and immersion instead of clumsy swinging thingies for which they always have to dumb down games to even be playable...

As for the whole Intel graphics thing, Intel is really throwing cash left and right for this one. I kinda hope they succeed and become a 3rd graphics player. That would be nice for consumers, especially knowing Intel generally has good products.

Who even cares about VR ?
Okay, now. I'm not for V.R., not only because I had no interest to begin with, the second was when the prices of the headsets were announced. Sure, nowadays we can get affordable headsets, yet I still don't have interest in them. So you can add me to the list of "No one." Just don't generalize it since I have friends that still are interested and happy about V.R..

Off-topic: Now, since we haven't seen a RY Zen 3 2300u laptop and and one with the RY Zen 3 2200u is absurdly high in price, I was thinking of going Intel for my next laptop. The only thing is that I hear people talk about how their drivers are bad. I'm more for the processor but I want to play some games(nothing demanding) on my spare time. (Gathered some Amazon Gift Cards, so only relying on that. I know bad move, but it'll be my go to for now.)

On-topic: As for the graphic cards, I'm not expecting GTX 1080Ti competitor either. The good thing going will be competition and prices being reasonable.

I don't agree with either of you, here's why ~

Traditionally, the last decade or two, Intel's struggled with low margin products ~ especially looking at the billions that went up in smoke chasing after Apple & Samsung in the mobile market!
Assuming they can't match the 1180Ti, then they'll have to compete with AMD, Nvidia in the mid range segment, possibly upto 1180? Can Intel compete in the mass market segment with thin margins & a possible hit to their brand value? Also what about perf/w & absolute performance? Can Intel afford to sell a GPU as an also ran & still make decent amount of money? The flagship segment not only increases Nvidia's revenues but swells their profits as well, the same as Intel's CPU division. Is Intel willing to fight it out with Nvidia, AMD with low(er) margins & value play, possibly diminishing their premium brand?
Not sure about people but its common sense to me that no, first gen Intel GPUs won't be interesting at all. But 3-5 years down the line? This is about competition, not about a 1080ti killer.
Then there's the thing about enterprise vs consumer, is the GPU ultimately their answer for Nvdia or AMD in the HPC segment? Are they willing to risk a move away from x86 towards GPGPU & possibly aiding the competition by accelerating a GPU oriented compute environment, even in data centers?

Intel's probably initially gonna test the waters with mid/high range GPU & would be looking to remove both AMD & Nvidia in OEM systems (with dGPU) & notebooks. Their enterprise strategy isn't clear & is totally shrouded in mystery!

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Who even cares about VR ? VR was a 2017 buzzword no one really cares anymore. Just looks around, back in 2017 everyone was obsessing with stupid VR headsets, everyone doing live streams falling over and now no one really cares about it. lol Just as predicted. What is funny is how NO ONE is doing VR to work in combination with existing games just as a headtracking system. Imagine endless possibilities with FPS games played using VR headset with mouse and keyboard. Superior control and immersion instead of clumsy swinging thingies for which they always have to dumb down games to even be playable...

As for the whole Intel graphics thing, Intel is really throwing cash left and right for this one. I kinda hope they succeed and become a 3rd graphics player. That would be nice for consumers, especially knowing Intel generally has good products.

Go back to your monitor cave, you are drunk.

Tons of VR games and VR users. The application is far beyond just gaming. VR is revolutionizing scientific research and industry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5333173/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29916601/?i=2&from=virtual reality

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29897886/?i=14&from=virtual reality

You choose not to see it doesn’t mean the rest the world are blind

VR is just an useless gimmick. Just because everyone so desperately pushes this VR nonsense, it doesn't mean it's a success. And it revolutionized jack shit. They are just trying to salvage stuff they dumped millions into and it's not getting any traction or results. I've predicted it to be failure and it's going that way exactly.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Imho, Intel will launch a mid-level performance GPU on 2020-2021 with poor efficiency. And they will build up from there. Tough road for them but we have years ahead.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Imho, Intel will launch a mid-level performance GPU on 2020-2021 with poor efficiency. And they will build up from there. Tough road for them but we have years ahead.

Put this larrabbee dildo in a high level position and we can have the third Itanic. Ballsy move hiring that guy. Of course, Intel just threw money at him and he was like, "lol, ok, idiots."